PDA

View Full Version : Superfeet to avoid foot spreading?

vaporjourney
03-08-2007, 12:14
I have been hiking comfortably in Montrail trail runners for the past year with no thoughts of getting 'upscale' insoles. After doing some research on ingrown toenails and foot spreading, I noticed one person on here recommend Superfeet to help out with the spreading. Apparently they lock your heel in place, which will help out with overall footspreading.

I am curious about foot spread in general, especially if I carry a relatively light (~35 lbs total) pack, and with trail runners. I can definitely see insoles/foot spread being an issue for people wearing boots and heavy 45+ packs.

Footslogger
03-08-2007, 12:20
SuperFeet don't do anything in terms of controlling "width" spread. They do however, keep the heel in place, support the arch and minimize "elongation".

'Slogger

highway
03-08-2007, 13:09
I can't wear them.

I once tried the Superfeet insoles but found they had only minimal foot cushion and felt like I wasd forcing my feet to conform to the inside of a pair of heavy waffle-stomper limmers.

But that was me. Of the two basic styles of foot wear-hard or cushion-I require the cushion. Superfeet are for those who require a harder insole.

Sly
03-08-2007, 13:25
Highway, have you tried Spenco's?

The Solemates
03-08-2007, 14:33
it depends on the person, but most people's feet dont "spread" or "elongate" during a long distance hike

Sly
03-08-2007, 14:46
it depends on the person, but most people's feet dont "spread" or "elongate" during a long distance hike

I'd like to see a survey. From what I can tell, most people's feet do get bigger on a LDH. I know mine did.

Footslogger
03-08-2007, 15:04
I'd like to see a survey. From what I can tell, most people's feet do get bigger on a LDH. I know mine did.

===============================

Sly ...a lot of the "enlargement" hikers talk about it more "swelling" than actual elongation. Elongation or the sensation that the toes are hitting the front of the shoe/boot is due to either movement (eg. the foot actually sliding forward in the shoe/boot) or flattening of the arch due to inadequate support. Superfeet are designed to deal with the movement/elongation (due to settling of the arch).

'Slogger

The Solemates
03-08-2007, 15:14
===============================

Sly ...a lot of the "enlargement" hikers talk about it more "swelling" than actual elongation. Elongation or the sensation that the toes are hitting the front of the shoe/boot is due to either movement (eg. the foot actually sliding forward in the shoe/boot) or flattening of the arch due to inadequate support. Superfeet are designed to deal with the movement/elongation (due to settling of the arch).

'Slogger

precisely. i was hypothesizing that most people do not have permanent enlargement after ldh.