PDA

View Full Version : Safety

Florida
03-08-2007, 13:36
I am new and have been reading alot of great information, but I have a question. How save is it on the AT from Animals and People? What about hiking alone?

Lone Wolf
03-08-2007, 13:44
very safe all-around.

bigmac_in
03-08-2007, 13:49
How safe is walking through any big city in the U.S.? The AT is probably more safe....

Jack Tarlin
03-08-2007, 18:55
You have a much greater chance of encountering crime and violence in your own home, school, or workplace than you do on the A.T. Considering between 3-4 millioin people a year use the A.T. or spend time on it, it is a remarkably safe place.

And the danger risk from animals is even less than from people.

Joshrm78
03-08-2007, 19:07
Ive only hiked PA and NJ never had a problem on the trail with either. Only troubles i encountered were self induced.

Oh yea watch out for shelter mice if u plan on using them.. their razor sharp teeth and claws can be deadly..

Spork
03-08-2007, 19:07
And the danger risk from animals is even less than from people.

The animals are less rabid...

Tractor
03-08-2007, 19:22
As far as people problems, just don't stay/linger around trailheads where "locals" go to party and whatever. As far as animal problems, just use common sense and you should be fine. I now hike solo most of the time and feel/stay safe no problem....... very first night solo did seem a little freaky but I got over it by day 2. t

Spork
03-08-2007, 19:48
By the way, in terms of overall safety, people and animals don't even rate in the top 5 causes of hiking fatalities, at least according to the Editor in Cheif of Backpacker Magazine during a 2006 CBS interview. He cited these as: 1) Falling 2) Drowning 3) Heart Attack 4) Hypothermia 5) Heat stress. Even if not totally accurate, the list points to environmental and physical factors as more likely causes of safety problems than people or animals. Dealing with them, however, involves similar common sense. Happy Trails!:sun

Downunda
03-08-2007, 20:05
IMO The biggest risk you face in hiking the AT is from falling tree limbs. Be selective where you place your tent.

Lion King
03-08-2007, 20:18
IMO The biggest risk you face in hiking the AT is from falling tree limbs. Be selective where you place your tent.

...and flying journals, socks, boots, sticks, if you snore in a shelter.
:D

I thought by the header this was a totally different topic.;)

hopefulhiker
03-08-2007, 20:30
Or just falling down.. I think the AT was pretty safe...

Spork
03-08-2007, 20:36
Or just falling down...

That could be the, you know, drinking...

saimyoji
03-08-2007, 20:46
By the way, in terms of overall safety, people and animals don't even rate in the top 5 causes of hiking fatalities, at least according to the Editor in Cheif of Backpacker Magazine during a 2006 CBS interview. He cited these as: 1) Falling 2) Drowning 3) Heart Attack 4) Hypothermia 5) Heat stress.

The biggest danger to you out there is....YOU! :eek:

Stay home, leave the hiking to those who can handle it, junior. :cool:

(joke, don't get all panty-wadded.) :D

Lone Wolf
03-08-2007, 21:05
very safe all-around.

but bear in mind quite a few rapes, murders, assaults and thefts have taken place on the AT

rafe
03-08-2007, 21:15
I am new and have been reading alot of great information, but I have a question. How save is it on the AT from Animals and People? What about hiking alone?

Generally safe. In general, you're never very alone on the AT. It's a rare day when you see no other hikers, though it can happen. As a personal matter, I don't hike alone in winter, but in the summer time, no problem.

Jester2000
03-08-2007, 21:27
Nothing can protect you from the chipmunks if they decide it's your day to die.

Other than that, it's pretty safe.

Spork
03-08-2007, 21:54
The biggest danger to you out there is....YOU! :eek:

That could also be the, you know, drinking...

Stay home, leave the hiking to those who can handle it, junior. :cool:

Unfortunately, a "good" day at home often involves 3-4 near death experiences. I actually started hiking as a safety precaution...

(joke, don't get all panty-wadded.) :D

Not me. Panty-wadding happens to be the 6th most common killer, the 7th being, of course, Chipmunks.

It's all good....:D

Spork
03-08-2007, 21:58
but bear in mind quite a few rapes, murders, assaults and thefts have taken place on the AT

You neglected to mention the beheadings...can't forget the beheadings.

Bravo
03-08-2007, 22:57
Your chances of being in a bad situation are slim but different.

Different in the sense that you could be all alone with no one to help you.

Expect to be safe(cause you most likely will)and be prepared to take care of yourself.

I know if I didn't think I could hold my own in a street fight I certainly wouldn't take my solo butt out into the woods. I can hear the dueling banjos already.:D

emerald
03-08-2007, 23:13

Yes, you'll want to avoid tenting downunda hazard trees, buzzard roosts too.:eek:;)

Gray Blazer
03-08-2007, 23:15
Beware of the psycho killer raccoons!

got milf?
03-09-2007, 00:10
People from Florida should not try hiking the AT. Too high, you'll get a nosebleed. Too cold, it gets below 60 degrees every night. Sometimes water even freezes, and you will too. You'll have to struggle to walk, like having to climb stairs all the time. And worst of all, no hookups for your RV.

rickb
03-09-2007, 00:38
Considering between 3-4 millioin people a year use the A.T. or spend time on it, it is a remarkably safe place.

You think the AT is safe.

3 Million people visit Fenway Park a year, and I can't remember one murder or rape at the park. Ever.

Now that is safe.

emerald
03-09-2007, 00:39
Beware of the psycho killer raccoons!

Raccoons are known for their bandit's mask, a broad black mask across their eyes and cheeks. Raccoon fur is multicolored with shades of gray, black, and yellow on the back and sides fading to much paler underneath. The soft, short underfur is covered with long, coarse guard hairs. These animals have a bushy tail with 4 to 7 conspicuous dark rings.*

*Source http://www.northern.edu/natsource/MAMMALS/Racoon1.htm

See I was stalked, post #77 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=282774#post282774) for a blast from the not too distant past. One can never be too careful!

saimyoji
03-09-2007, 01:02
Damn, I forgot about those raccoons. Did anyone see my gun?

Spork
03-09-2007, 08:11

3 Million people visit Fenway Park a year, and I can't remember one murder or rape at the park. Ever.

Now that is safe.

Statisticallyspeaking, there are also quite a few less bear maulings, rattlesnake bites, cougar attacks, ravenous wolf packs and psycho killer raccoons at Fenway. I'm seriously considering thru-hiking Fenway Park...

unl1988
03-09-2007, 09:07
What about the hazards of improperly sanitized cooking pots and dishes? How does that compare to the chipmunks and shelter mice?

Bravo
03-09-2007, 09:09
What about the hazards of improperly sanitized cooking pots and dishes? How does that compare to the chipmunks and shelter mice?

If you eat out of your pot it gets sanitized as soon as you cook with it. Other dishes are questionable.

sparky2000
03-09-2007, 10:06
When u go into town just keep the mountain perfume on yourself and Nobody will bother you!

doggiebag
03-09-2007, 10:24
FYI there should be an article on anal rape blackout techniques out on the web. I think it was written by one of the Enron guys.

saimyoji
03-09-2007, 12:38
FYI there should be an article on anal rape blackout techniques out on the web. I think it was written by one of the Enron guys.

:-?

??? Wrong thread ???

doggiebag
03-09-2007, 12:49
Bad sense of humor in my part. Sorry.

grysmn
03-09-2007, 16:36
One is never isolated on the AT. You will seldom spend more than a few hours alone. There is a Trail community that consists of people who keep track of trail happenings as a hobby, sometimes it feels like George Orwells 1984. Usually the people that you meet will have heard of you and you of them, rarely will you meet someone you have not heard of. Yes you are safe.

emerald
03-09-2007, 20:15
Statistically speaking, there are also quite a few less bear maulings, rattlesnake bites, cougar attacks, ravenous wolf packs and psycho killer raccoons at Fenway. I'm seriously considering thru-hiking Fenway Park...

I would think Fenway a good place to run up and down steps repeatedly, but the scenery not as interesting as that of the A.T. Besides, I don't think there are any rocks there. How much fun could that be?

Re: your edit, i.e. Mis-spelt. You should visit Landis Valley Museum (http://www.landisvalleymuseum.org/) in eastern Pennsylvania. They'll teach you all about spelt (http://www.spelt.com/) and you'll never have that problem again.

Jester2000
03-09-2007, 22:23

3 Million people visit Fenway Park a year, and I can't remember one murder or rape at the park.

You know, just because you black out every time, doesn't mean it's not happening.

doggiebag
03-09-2007, 22:38
You know, just because you black out every time, doesn't mean it's not happening.

Finally someone with a sense of humor. :banana