PDA

View Full Version : Campsites between Neels Gap and Dicks Creek Gap

bigmac_in
03-08-2007, 13:45
OK folks, you've helped me out before - Where are your favorite campsites between Neels Gap (GA) and Deep Gap (NC)? I'm heading out the first week in May for a quick section hike and need to do some planning.

I got some awesome advice last year, see if you can top it this year.....

Oops - I may need to camp between Dick's Creek and Deep Gap, as well - so feel free to include that section.

orangebug
03-08-2007, 14:13
Huge area you are asking about.

Between Neel's Gap and Testnatee Gap are many good places that will disappear once the wildflowers get started. I'd avoid any thought of the shelter between Testnatee and HogPen Gaps, and encourage a blue/yellow blaze up the road in that area.

Chattahootchee Gap is a very nice area with water nearby heading to Atlanta.

Midway Sam
03-08-2007, 14:28
[quote=orangebug;335494]I'd avoid any thought of the shelter between Testnatee and HogPen Gaps... [quote]

Whitley Gap Shelter. The blue blaze into that place was the longest 1.5 miles of my life! :(

shoe
03-08-2007, 23:55
Just what is the purpose of putting a shelter so far away from the trail?!?!

I thought Wood's Hole was too far.

Almost There
03-09-2007, 00:20
Just what is the purpose of putting a shelter so far away from the trail?!?!

I thought Wood's Hole was too far.

Alot of times it's water...don't know the particulars for this one, but anything more than .25 off the trail is a waste of time.

Trailwind
03-09-2007, 00:58
OK folks, you've helped me out before - Where are your favorite campsites between Neels Gap (GA) and Deep Gap (NC)? I'm heading out the first week in May for a quick section hike and need to do some planning.

I got some awesome advice last year, see if you can top it this year.....

Oops - I may need to camp between Dick's Creek and Deep Gap, as well - so feel free to include that section.
It's not very far in from Neels Gap (a little more than 3 miles), but one of my favorite spots on the AT in Georgia is tenting at Rock Spring Gap. Good water source a couple hundred yards up the trail on the left, beautiful views to the Southeast right from your tent, good views to the Northwest if you stand up and look that way. A big rock looking out over the valley that you can sit on and have the best meal ever...Stayed there last December, highly recommended.

The whole area you described has plenty of camping spots, most with water nearby and excellent views.

Don't stay too close to Hogpen Gap. Beautiful setting with shelter and water, and also a road right in front of it. Because of the road it gets visits from locals partying, particularly on weekends, at least whenever I have been in the vicinity.

bigmac_in
03-09-2007, 10:12
It's not very far in from Neels Gap (a little more than 3 miles), but one of my favorite spots on the AT in Georgia is tenting at Rock Spring Gap. Good water source a couple hundred yards up the trail on the left, beautiful views to the Southeast right from your tent, good views to the Northwest if you stand up and look that way. A big rock looking out over the valley that you can sit on and have the best meal ever...Stayed there last December, highly recommended.

The whole area you described has plenty of camping spots, most with water nearby and excellent views.

Don't stay too close to Hogpen Gap. Beautiful setting with shelter and water, and also a road right in front of it. Because of the road it gets visits from locals partying, particularly on weekends, at least whenever I have been in the vicinity.

I've heard that about Hogpen Gap from several sources. Thanks for re-affirming it here for me, as well as everyone else. It's much better information coming straight from someone who has seen it first hand.