PDA

View Full Version : Confrontations and bad company

whitefoot_hp
03-08-2007, 14:27
Ive been thinking, and have heard differing opinions on this topic. What is one chances of being accosted, possibly robbed, by an armed/ semi armed individual on the trail? or in gneral, encountering some "bad company'?

The Solemates
03-08-2007, 14:30
Ive been thinking, and have heard differing opinions on this topic. What is one chances of being accosted, possibly robbed, by an armed/ semi armed individual on the trail? or in gneral, encountering some "bad company'?

a lot less likely than in any city in america

Newb
03-08-2007, 14:31
Does hiker smell count as being "accosted"?

Bloodroot
03-08-2007, 14:43
Only places that I would have a concern would be some of the shelters near the gaps. The local yocals like to come up and party. Very, very unlikely you would encounter any trouble anywhere.

MOWGLI
03-08-2007, 14:48
Don't camp near road crossings. Especially on Friday & Saturday nights. You'll be fine!

If you get a bad vibe from somebody, just move on along the trail. In other words, use your head. Chances are you can out hike just about any thug.

Bloodroot
03-08-2007, 15:02

Come to think of it, I was robbed of some food and some of my bear-bag fabric within a few weeks on the trail. Must have followed me the rest of the way because I had several instances where this happened. Never did catch the perp.:D Anyone else have any similar crimes committed against them?

Alligator
03-08-2007, 15:08
Come to think of it, I was robbed of some food and some of my bear-bag fabric within a few weeks on the trail. Must have followed me the rest of the way because I had several instances where this happened. Never did catch the perp.:D Anyone else have any similar crimes committed against them?Yeah. Some nut-jobber ripped out a half-dollar sized hole in the bottom of my top lid.

sliderule
03-08-2007, 15:31
What is one chances of being accosted, possibly robbed, by an armed/ semi armed individual on the trail?

Semi armed? That must be a tactic in the ultralight crime community.

Disney
03-08-2007, 16:52
Yeah. Some nut-jobber ripped out a half-dollar sized hole in the bottom of my top lid.

See that's why some hikers get a bad name. I met the same guy, took all the m&m's out of my gorp and left a little something of his own behind.

Bloodroot
03-08-2007, 18:10
See that's why some hikers get a bad name. I met the same guy, took all the m&m's out of my gorp and left a little something of his own behind.

LOL...yeah smaller chocolate M&M's.:D

LeeF
03-08-2007, 23:29
You believe in recycling don’t you? He just did it immediately!

Blue Jay
03-09-2007, 01:38
Only places that I would have a concern would be some of the shelters near the gaps. The local yocals like to come up and party. Very, very unlikely you would encounter any trouble anywhere.

Plus they always bring beer and share it freely.

doggiebag
03-09-2007, 06:17
My mom used to warn me about falling in with bad company. Untill she realized that I was the bad company. She was then pretty embarassed when she had to warn the other kids about falling in with me.

ASUGrad
03-09-2007, 09:58
It's easier to drive to the Hardees and start trouble. Walking a mile to a shelter is a pain. Plus the trail is so crowded now, there are too many witnesses. And there is one certainty in life. Every hiker carries a knife. The last thing a redneck wants is to have a 60 year-old woman cut him in front of his buddies.

Face it, iceholes are not going to walk 300 miles just to be a PITA. They can do that in an elevator at the mall.

Miss Janet
03-09-2007, 11:23
I have always felt that the trail is generally safe. If my girls said they were going to spend a week, alone, in Atlanta or New York or even Knoxville... I would be very afraid. If they wanted to go hike for a week I wouldn't worry about them being accosted by an armed robber or a knife weilding crack head.

But I am curious about something. When these threads are being discussed there are always warnings to stay away from shelters close to roads because of the local yokels that always party there. In all the years that I have lived near the trail... even in high school when I WAS a LOCAL YOKEL... I have never heard about a party at a shelter by anyone other than hikers.

How many of you have actually seen this happen and where did it happen? I agree that there are often many reasons to not stay at shelter or campsite close to roads but is this mostly trail Urban Legend stuff or is it a REAL problem?

hammock engineer
03-09-2007, 11:35
a lot less likely than in any city in america

I agree with you on this one. My walk to my car just off campus in Cincinnati is way more dangerous than anything I will run into on the trail. The trick is to leave in the early afternoon while there is still a lot of other students around. The real crazies do not come out until 7 or 8pm. In Cincinnati there are usually around 80+ murders and countless robberies every year, compared when single digits on and around the trail over the last 20+ years.

whitefoot_hp
03-09-2007, 12:00
I have always felt that the trail is generally safe. If my girls said they were going to spend a week, alone, in Atlanta or New York or even Knoxville... I would be very afraid. If they wanted to go hike for a week I wouldn't worry about them being accosted by an armed robber or a knife weilding crack head.

But I am curious about something. When these threads are being discussed there are always warnings to stay away from shelters close to roads because of the local yokels that always party there. In all the years that I have lived near the trail... even in high school when I WAS a LOCAL YOKEL... I have never heard about a party at a shelter by anyone other than hikers.

How many of you have actually seen this happen and where did it happen? I agree that there are often many reasons to not stay at shelter or campsite close to roads but is this mostly trail Urban Legend stuff or is it a REAL problem?

yeah i hear you. i was a local yokel in high school and we live in north georgia. there are way too many more conveinent spots to camp at and party that you can drive right up to than shelters.

Alligator
03-09-2007, 13:02

How many of you have actually seen this happen and where did it happen? I agree that there are often many reasons to not stay at shelter or campsite close to roads but is this mostly trail Urban Legend stuff or is it a REAL problem?I made the decision one late winter afternoon to camp at a road crossing because I didn't want to hike in the dark to the next shelter. The road was I think on NF land and was within 75 miles or so of Damscus in VA. I made camp about 100 yards from the road or so and had some evergreen bushes for cover.

Around 9 or 10, some guys in a pickup showed up and ran their coon dogs up and down the valley. This went on for about 2 hours.

After drifting off to sleep, I was woken to the sound of car doors slamming. It was after midnight. They partied on the side of the road for about an hour to an hour and 1/2. Then drove off. They left a bit of trash too. There was a can there and other older trash, it looked to be a common hang out point.

whitefoot_hp
03-09-2007, 13:03
sounds horrible!

Alligator
03-09-2007, 13:26
Indeed. The next shelter had been empty that night too:( .

Baum Trigger
03-09-2007, 13:32
I have always felt that the trail is generally safe. If my girls said they were going to spend a week, alone, in Atlanta or New York or even Knoxville...

:eek:... I'm offended! JK! There are many of us local yokels here in Knox trying to change the perception of being a "Good Ole' East Tennessee Boy".:)

rainmaker
03-09-2007, 22:06
sounds horrible!

Now don't start getting down on hunters. The vast majority are our friends and will go out of their way to help a hiker in distress. When you're hiking in hunting season, you just have to go with the flow. I do wish those fellows hadn't littered though.

Survivor Dave
03-09-2007, 22:29
I thought I would piss my pants Sliderule!

Ultralight Crime Community. Only an Ultralighter or backpacker can appreciate that humor.
Ultralight weapon...Hmmmmm.... Do they make a .38 in Carbon Fiber now?

Maguro

Alligator
03-09-2007, 22:38
Now don't start getting down on hunters. The vast majority are our friends and will go out of their way to help a hiker in distress. When you're hiking in hunting season, you just have to go with the flow. I do wish those fellows hadn't littered though.Definitely. Don't camp near the roads 'cause some lazy-ass coon hunter might drive his pickup up and and down the National Forest roads late night:D . I don't remember any shooting though, I doubt anything ran close enough to the truck:p .

skyhiker2
03-09-2007, 23:07

I hate to admit it but when I was 16 till about 21 everytime I went camping with my friends they would start trouble. One time the site next to us actually packed up and left.. " I don't blame them.. Sometimes it was straight trouble starting other times it was things like running through someone elsed camp naked or stealing fire wood. Then the confrontation starts then the fights or the packing up begins.. And yes we have walked to sites to camp before.... The only positive thing I can say is that was ten years ago ago more then half of them are in jail now and the others are complete waste of life... I'm happy to say I'm the only successfull one. The moral of the story is:: if there is "local Yokels" make sure you feel comfortable before you set up camp. I've seen it happen.

Downunda
03-10-2007, 04:08
I ran into local yokels on my hike at shelters a few times and they always offered me a beer or candy. Sure, they may have been a little noisy but it wasn't a problem for me as they were just out having a little fun.

nutlub
03-10-2007, 08:59

now that was rich....good one!:D

doggiebag
03-10-2007, 12:01
My friend is trained in knife fighting and he'll go all the way :datz

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/1/8/9/9/aldowknife.jpg

hambone
03-20-2007, 14:23
I must admit, in the "out of college, trying to defer adulthood" period of my life, myself and a half-dozen other Long Island goons would winter hike to the Fingerboard Shelter in Harriman SP (right off the AT) and drink a few cases of beer and be silly. We always had enough to share, and figured that we were not really bothering anyone in the winter. We had a few people who were happy to join us, and a few that moved on to the next shelter. Usually it was the females that decided these drunken idotic men would not be good company. We were harmless enough.

We always cleaned up the shelter when we left. We rebuilt the chimneys a few times (two fireplaces inside the shelter, thus the attraction in the winter). We always left a nice pile of firewood for the next campers.

Generally I have found that the worst thing about a bivoac near a road or parking area is the generous and wide spread piles of poo, which make you feel like you woke up in a minefield. Stupid Poo Goons.

Almost There
03-20-2007, 14:39
I've heard and then seen the remnants of a party at Cheese Factory in N. GA. The didn't clean up after themselves very well, but the road is right there.

Lion King
03-20-2007, 16:20
Apple Orchard, you may get some people coming up, but as most say, they bring beer and whatever else you might be inclined to sip on.

One or two places in PA, but again...all the ones I met were generally good...maybe a little off kilter, but hey...look at the hikers to your left and right to see off kilter.

Gray Blazer
03-20-2007, 16:47
I've heard and then seen the remnants of a party at Cheese Factory in N. GA. The didn't clean up after themselves very well, but the road is right there.

If you want free beer, camp at Tray Mountain Gap on a friday or a saturday.:D (Thought I posted this already).

Turtle2
03-20-2007, 22:13
The only BAD COMPANY I met was at Hexacuba Shelter in September when the Dartmouth kids took over the shelter then had a raid complete with 130 decible boom box at 1 am. UGLY!!

bfitz
03-20-2007, 23:09
I've hiked quite a bit and I've enever felt any threat whatsoever. The worst I've ever encountered were well meaning overfriendly babblermouths at shelters, and these types are easily avoided if need be. Even hitchhiking seems pretty safe to me around the trail, though I suppose if I was female I might be a bit cautious. But I know plenty who have done it all by their lonesomes with no trouble, and I have no doubt they could probably handle any situation as well as me.

Appalachian Tater
03-21-2007, 01:00
There are plenty of people out there hiking who are a little nutty, and more than a few who are thoughtless of others, maybe one or two a little creepy, who might qualify as "bad company", but not too many actually dangerous ones. Jackasses who keep everyone up drinking and talking until 2 am at a shelter, the guy who yells at the bears and scared and aggravated them, the woman who obnoxiously insisted I couldn't wear a black shirt and had to cut the sleeves off, or not wear one at all, the guy who woke everyone up at 5:30 am everyday, or the guy just sitting around in the shelter, nude from the waist down, chatting with his wife and the other hikers--these types come to mind. I probably wouldn't want them as close friends. Some of them were "bad company".

However, the trail is not off-limits to armed psychos, who are likely to be dangerous and cause problems wherever and wherever encountered, on or off trail. Certainly Lyme disease, spider bites, and falls present a much greater chance of causing harm than the rare armed psycho, but you are more likely to survive them.

Bloodroot
03-21-2007, 08:25
If you want free beer, camp at Tray Mountain Gap on a friday or a saturday.:D (Thought I posted this already).

Funny. That's where I got my first beer magic. It was about 730 am by two father/son ex-thru's named Red Truck and Green Truck.

Lyle
03-21-2007, 12:40

Have never had a huge problem. Years ago at Wiggens (SP?) Spring shelter/campsite in Virginia there was a large group of camps and motor homes who's people were partying until early morning. Didn't feel threatened, but annoyed. At least until they made a huge breakfast first thing in the morning and invited all the shelter occupants to join them. I believe the trail now bypasses this trouble spot, it's a shame, that was one impressive spring!

Two other incidents of finding people living in the shelters, both times in PA. First time just moved on and camped elsewhere, second time the guy seemed non-threatening, and there were other hikers there so I didn't worry about it. These were both older gents, not hardy "local yokels".

Bake Oven Knob in PA I did meet a bunch of young teens out partying. Middle of summer, 95*+ temps, very dry year. This group of 14 and 15 year olds gave me a much appreciated, ice cold beer at the top of the knob. Can't get in trouble for taking alcohol from a minor can you? :D

Over MANY years of hiking the AT, these are the only mildly offensive incidents I remember encountering.

sherrill
03-21-2007, 12:58
On a SB hike from Hot Springs through the Smokies a buddy and I stopped and decided to catch a meteor shower on top of Max Patch.

As dark fell two couples who drove up the road pitched their tents about 50 yards from us, pulled out the shine, and rebel yelled at every streaking light. This lasted until they stumbled into their respective tents to have loud sex. Afterwards, we were serenaded by the lush sounds of quadraphonic puking.

They weren't bad sorts, just loud and obnoxious. As we departed around 6:30 the next morning John and I had to leave one more "Hellllll Yeah!!! Damn straight, that's what I'm takin' about" and a high five as we passed their tents.

Gray Blazer
03-21-2007, 13:35
Funny. That's where I got my first beer magic. It was about 730 am by two father/son ex-thru's named Red Truck and Green Truck.

Every Friday and Saturday. I'm talkin' good beer, too.

Moonshine
03-21-2007, 15:21
In Cincinnati there are usually around 80+ murders and countless robberies every year

and that's just crimes committed by bengals players

Rhino-lfl
03-21-2007, 17:07
I had two run ins with bears, one with a skunk, one with a rattlesnake, one with a coyote, and one with a very very pissed off squirrel. But other than my friend bill, who we brought with us and I eventually ended up knocking him out, I've never had a stranger cause a problem. But then I'm usually the biggest person where ever I go and I carry a visible 15" knife on me. LOL I’m probably the guy you’d avoid on the trail.

Big Dawg
03-21-2007, 22:12
But then I'm usually the biggest person where ever I go

Yea, it helps to be BIG. At 6'5" and 275 lbs,,, no one ever seems to wanna f' w/ me.:cool:

Bravo
03-21-2007, 23:14
Yea, it helps to be BIG. At 6'5" and 275 lbs,,, no one ever seems to wanna f' w/ me.:cool:

Buncha pu**ys. I'd f' w/ya.

Then run like hell.:D

bfitz
03-22-2007, 04:42
What do they say about age and treachery?

Big Dawg
03-22-2007, 08:06
Buncha pu**ys. I'd f' w/ya.

Then run like hell.:D

I had to laugh at that one, Bravo. I didn't see the 2nd response til I scrolled down. Bring it on mofo:D,,, I'll sit on ya:eek:

Rhino-lfl
03-22-2007, 09:52

True that. Plus after drinking a few pints of whiskey at night, my gas is downright abusive.