PDA

View Full Version : Grayson Highlands Memorial Day-after trail days.

booney_1
03-08-2007, 14:48
Thinking about a venture crew backpacking trip to Grayson Highlands on memorial day. Part of hike would be on AT (camping near Wise and Old Ochard shelters).

Trail Days in Damascus is weekend before this. (~40 trail miles away). How crowded do you think Grayson Highlands will be on Memorial Day??

Also anybody recall weather problems end of May in this area. I know snow can be seen through April.

thanks...

Lone Wolf
03-08-2007, 14:49
Thinking about a venture crew backpacking trip to Grayson Highlands on memorial day. Part of hike would be on AT (camping near Wise and Old Ochard shelters).

Trail Days in Damascus is weekend before this. (~40 trail miles away). How crowded do you think Grayson Highlands will be on Memorial Day??

Also anybody recall weather problems end of May in this area. I know snow can be seen through April.

thanks...

it will be pretty crowded.

Bloodroot
03-08-2007, 14:50

thanks...

I was there in 05 on Memorial weekend. Lots of day hikers.

LeeF
03-08-2007, 23:35
Been there on Memorial Day. You'll get more solitude back in Greensboro.

Jack Tarlin
03-08-2007, 23:45
Wolf's dead right. ANY day is a good day to be in Grayson Highlands State Park.

That being said, tho, Memorial Day Weekend is probably around the LAST time I'd wanna be there.

Skyline
03-08-2007, 23:50
If you camp far away from shelters and the most popular spots near the AT you could get some solitude. But those places will be crowded during MD w/e unless the weather sucks.No guarantees, but you probably won't see snow that late in May. You could definitely experience miserably cold rain, though, so pack accordingly.

LeeF
03-09-2007, 10:53
The open ground at Graysons Highlands encourages off trail hiking and camping more than most areas. You can hike quite a way off the AT and not get away from the crowd. Hike just pass Elk Garden (southbound) and the crowds thin immediately.