PDA

View Full Version : Your most valuable lessons learned??

dscostu
03-08-2007, 16:31
As a “green” backpacker, I have a lot of questions/myths about the many aspects of backpacking.
I am curious to what were the biggest lessons you learned during your numerous experiences while backpacking. What kinds of lessons (myths dispelled) would you pass on to your grandchildren who inquired about a thru-hiking???
I know experience is the best educator… However, I just thought it would be cool to hear what some of the more experienced had to share……

Lone Wolf
03-08-2007, 16:32
always carry extra water. it's worth the weight.

saimyoji
03-08-2007, 16:37
Try these:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9386&highlight=tips

Also, on the HomePage of WB, look off to the left under the Articles box. Check out the Tips and Tricks; Thru-hiker Advice; and all the other articles for good info. Lots of time and work were put into these, they are worth their proverbial weight in gold.

txulrich
03-08-2007, 16:44
I'll share three.

First, find the gear that works best for you. It's your back, feet, etc. What works for one person doesn't neccesarily work for someone else. Don't let someone berate you for your gear selection. When looking at new gear, remember step 2.

Second, assemble your gear, and go through it and ask these question. Will/have I use(d) this item every day? Is this item multiple use? Is there a lighter option? Do this for every item in your pack. Set aside the items that don't stack up (except your safety items). When examining your gear, remember step 1.

Third, repeat steps one and two as often as neccesary.

These steps may seem contrary to each other and they somewhat are. The point is to examine all of your gear and make a concious choice about what you carry. Then go with it and be happy until you repeat the cycle.

wilderness bob
03-08-2007, 16:54
smile a lot, it's infectious

Moxie00
03-08-2007, 17:28
If you have never long distance hiked read every book and publication on gear. After careful research purchase what you feel would work best for you. When you get to Neels Gap, about 3 days into a northbound thru hike, send it all home and get what really works for you. Very little of the gear I started with was still with me when i got to New England. This was after years of reading Backpacker and at least 10 other books on hiking the AT. As Lone Wolf says, water, water, water---nothing worse than running out of it. (second most valuable lesson after gear)

oldfivetango
03-08-2007, 18:11

How much would you suggest?I am thinking 2 liters or so.I wonder how
many miles per liter the "average" hiker would require?
Thanks.
OFT

Footslogger
03-08-2007, 18:22
Thanks.
OFT

==================================

I try and carry/consume 1 liter for every 5 miles hiked ...give or take. Based on the water information in the guidebook that means sometimes carrying up to 2 liters. But most often I start with a 1.8 Liter Platy and a 20 oz bottle of gatorade/tang and then refill as necessary when I reach the available water supplies.

'Slogger

Sly
03-08-2007, 18:25
Thanks.
OFT

I think the rule of thumb is 1 liter for every 5 miles, but probably a little less in cooler temps and perhaps a little more in hotter temps.

ed bell
03-08-2007, 18:35
If you have never long distance hiked read every book and publication on gear. After careful research purchase what you feel would work best for you. When you get to Neels Gap, about 3 days into a northbound thru hike, send it all home and get what really works for you. Very little of the gear I started with was still with me when i got to New England. This was after years of reading Backpacker and at least 10 other books on hiking the AT. As Lone Wolf says, water, water, water---nothing worse than running out of it. (second most valuable lesson after gear)Moxie, you forgot to mention the wonderful thread you started a while back:http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12596 Probably my favorite thread in recent memory.:)

rafe
03-08-2007, 21:19
Keep journals of your hikes. If you don't write your journals on the trail, write them at home when you return. Reflect on what went right and what went wrong, and make adjustments accordingly. Plus, what Wolf said in Msg. #2. It can be most unpleasant (and in extreme cases, injurious to your health) to be seriously dehydrated.

Jim Adams
03-08-2007, 21:24
GO SLOW! attempt to make every moment fun and enjoy all that you can.

geek

Gaiter
03-08-2007, 22:32
laugh---> stuff happens, little things can add up, but if you don't let them bother you they won't pile up.

TJ aka Teej
03-08-2007, 22:39
Go swiftly, as slow as you can.

oruoja
03-08-2007, 22:40
Keep journals of your hikes. If you don't write your journals on the trail, write them at home when you return. Reflect on what went right and what went wrong, and make adjustments accordingly. Plus, what Wolf said in Msg. #2. It can be most unpleasant (and in extreme cases, injurious to your health) to be seriously dehydrated.

Very true. I did when I started taking my first long hikes back in 1970s and today am glad I did. Pictures are great, but by writing down your day to day experiences can really take you back. I took both of my sons on long trips when they were young and always made sure they understood the need to be self sufficient and take care of themselves and their gear. The experiences and lessons learned really build confidence and this carries over into other pursuits of life.

rafe
03-08-2007, 22:40
...... oops, wrong thread ......

Tin Man
03-08-2007, 22:53

Always take advantage of a water source before reaching a shelter so you don't have to send your hiking partner back to that source when you find no water at the shelter. :rolleyes:

emerald
03-08-2007, 22:55
I usually carry a gal of water.

How many MPG do you usually get?

dscostu
03-09-2007, 09:44
So, I guess many of you carry approx two liters... does that include water that is being treated with pills? I plan on using Aqua Mira pills. Should I carry an extra liter that is being treated along with the treated H2O?

Outlaw
03-09-2007, 09:59
I usually carry a gal of water.

A gallon of water alone weighs 8.3 lbs. plus the weight of what you're carrying it in! :eek: IMHO it is better to stop more often to gather water then to lug all that extra weight. I know that as the day goes on, the weight goes down (assuming you are using the water), but it is tough starting out with all that extra weight from the get-go.

Always take advantage of a water source before reaching a shelter so you don't have to send your hiking partner back to that source when you find no water at the shelter. :rolleyes:

Good thought Tin Man. I know my partner would just love me to death for this!:D

rafe
03-09-2007, 10:02
So, I guess many of you carry approx two liters... does that include water that is being treated with pills? I plan on using Aqua Mira pills. Should I carry an extra liter that is being treated along with the treated H2O?

Chemical treatments take some time to take effect. Liquid AquaMira isn't so bad, but the A.M. pills take a lot longer. Which means either that you'll be taking very long breaks at water sources, or carrying around some water on your back while waiting for the treatment to take effect. In my mind, that's the biggest disadvantage of chemical treatment, as compared to filtering water. One compromise is a squeeze-bottle filter (eg. Katadyn Exstream) for short-term drinking water. Or be brave & bold like LW and drink it right out of the stream.

dscostu
03-09-2007, 10:33
Ok, that goes to show you how really new I am. I didn't even know that the liquid Aqua Mira took less time. Thanks to all! What a great group of people!

Cuffs
03-09-2007, 13:47
Test your gear before you go anywhere!! I just got home from a "test run" on some new stuff. My new Montbell UL Hugger 15* bag worked great except I had a slight "draft" near my ankles. Thought there may be some imperfection in the sewing... After sun-up, and getting ready to pack up, I realized that the zipper not only opens from the neck down, it opens from the foot up!! You can bet that wont happen again!

Blue Jay
03-09-2007, 14:02
I am curious to what were the biggest lessons you learned during your numerous experiences while backpacking.

That there are entire worlds and ways of existence OTHER than just spending your life chasing money.

dscostu
03-09-2007, 16:14
What about gear? Is there anything that you NOW can't live without...is there anything that is just a big waste of time?

Jack Tarlin
03-10-2007, 15:35
I dunno about a waste of time, but I can sure think of gear that doesn't do what it's supposd to: If something is advertised as |"Waterproof yet fully breathable!!" they are lying to you. Totally. It might keep the rain out, but inside, you'll feel like you're a chicken in one of those plastic roaster bags.

Kerosene
03-10-2007, 16:31
My rule of thumb on water is a liter for every 6 miles in 50-60F temperatures under the forest canopy. My usage goes up when the temperature rises and/or the canopy thins out. I typically carry at least 2 liters unless I'm entirely confident that there is easily accessible water within 10 miles (I ran out once on a hot a humid day and do not recommend it). I also have taken to drinking a lot of extra water at camp to try to keep hydrated. You will not feel as if you need to drink as much when the temperature falls, but you will still need to replace what you sweat out.

saimyoji
03-10-2007, 19:45
What about gear? Is there anything that you NOW can't live without...is there anything that is just a big waste of time?

Don't need all the extra clothes....
Don't need that big heavy knife....
Don't need all that extra room in that huge pack....(and all the weight that comes with it)

Gotta have a full length zip on my bag (my feet sweat alot, even when its cold)
Gotta have those mesh pockets on the side of my pack to hold water bottles (no hydration packs for me)
Gotta have a fit, strong body to hike in....(went from a 260lbs fat piece of dung to a 210lbs light on my feet -relatively so- happy person)
Gotta have rain gear...always...even on a sunny day hike.

...sure there's more...

Blue Jay
03-10-2007, 19:46

Gear is gear. You can make it to Maine with a wool blanket, a piece of plastic and a credit card. So many people make a big deal about gear. Carry what you want, it will vary completely person to person, and is completely meaningless. Gear means nothing. Is there anything that anyone cannot live without? NO Is there anything that is just a big waste of time? YES, what gear you carry.

sliderule
03-10-2007, 19:50
You can make it to Maine with a wool blanket, a piece of plastic and a credit card.
I can make it to Maine with just the credit card!!!

moxie
03-11-2007, 19:52
From my start in Georgia to climbing Katahdin I met "experts" very critical of my heavy pack. I had nothing I didn't use every day, I made sure I had enough food and water and tried to arive at the next re-supply point with one day's food left. This is result of being stranded in a tent for three days by weather on another hike out west. I almost never arrived at a water hole without any water, I respect those who plan their food to run out one day before they reach town and carry very little water to hike lighter and sometimed go hours thursty. They have their style and I have mine and both of us are right. That why Ben and Jerry have so many flavors. No one likes the same thing. Develop your own style be it ultralight, semi light or old style like me. When you find a shoe that fits wear it. I enjoy having all things I consider necessary to be comfortable for months on the trail and I respect those who find comfort on going ultra light. Don't be critical if someone doesn't do it exactly as you do. That is a lesson I learned on the trail.

Tin Man
03-11-2007, 22:12
From my start in Georgia to climbing Katahdin I met "experts" very critical of my heavy pack. I had nothing I didn't use every day, I made sure I had enough food and water and tried to arive at the next re-supply point with one day's food left. This is result of being stranded in a tent for three days by weather on another hike out west. I almost never arrived at a water hole without any water, I respect those who plan their food to run out one day before they reach town and carry very little water to hike lighter and sometimed go hours thursty. They have their style and I have mine and both of us are right. That why Ben and Jerry have so many flavors. No one likes the same thing. Develop your own style be it ultralight, semi light or old style like me. When you find a shoe that fits wear it. I enjoy having all things I consider necessary to be comfortable for months on the trail and I respect those who find comfort on going ultra light. Don't be critical if someone doesn't do it exactly as you do. That is a lesson I learned on the trail.

Amen to that... HYOH

camich
03-11-2007, 22:17

:clap :clap Very well said. Thank You!!:clap :clap