PDA

View Full Version : AT Etiquette and Unwelcome Company

KMaha
03-08-2007, 20:47
:-? So a friend gave me the book "A Walk in the Woods" when he heard I was going on the AT. I've only just started to read and I see a possible problem.
Now I don't mind the idea of socializing at shelters and what not, but is it common to pick up a "hiking partner" (one who just happens upon you and stays with you) while on the trail? If so, what is the general AT accepted rule for shooing them away? I tend to like to hike at my own pace and quietly reflecting. I don't wish to be rude but it happens.
So what are some of the ways you have shrugged off unwelcome company? A buddy told me I should just start crying and that should make them go away. That actually sounded like a good idea.

Skidsteer
03-08-2007, 20:56
Tell them you prefer to hike by yourself. If they question why you would want to hike by yourself, tell them it's a condition of your parole.

saimyoji
03-08-2007, 20:56
Search and read the threads on AWITW here on WB. Then, remember the people hiking around you are people, treat them like people, not baboons. Start by being honest, respectful and tell them politely that you prefer to hike without them.

If that doesn't work, wake up before them, tell them a guy with a cartfull of donuts just headed south on the trail saying he was gonna set up trail magic and that anyone wanting free donuts should just come on by. That'll buy you some time to make clubs. When he comes back upset from missing the donuts, whack him, take his shoelaces (ala Katz) and run!

Oh, BTW :welcome to WB.

Gray Blazer
03-08-2007, 21:00
1. Introduce them to your invisable friend.
2. Tell them your walking for all your HIV pos friends.
3. If you're female, tell them your sex change operation is almost finished.
4. If you're male, tell them your sex change operation is almost finished.
5. If you have had a sex change, tell them so.
6. Tell them about the space aliens.
7. Tell them about your super powers.
8. Tell them you're from NYC and they'd better fork off.
9. Pull out your false teeth.
10. Tell them you're John Gotti's daughter.

Lone Wolf
03-08-2007, 21:02
look em' straight in the eye and tell em' to F CK OFF!:)

Jester2000
03-08-2007, 21:11
:-?
. . . but is it common to pick up a "hiking partner" (one who just happens upon you and stays with you) while on the trail? If so, what is the general AT accepted rule for shooing them away? I tend to like to hike at my own pace and quietly reflecting. I don't wish to be rude but it happens.
So what are some of the ways you have shrugged off unwelcome company? A buddy told me I should just start crying and that should make them go away. That actually sounded like a good idea.

I'm going to attempt to actually answer the question. It is not common, from my experience, to literally hike with a partner during the day, unless that's something you specifically plan to do. Most people I know have ended up with a partner or partners of sorts, but mainly because everyone has a tendency to end up close to one another at the end of the day, and some plan it that way.

I can count the number of days I literally hiked with someone else all day on one hand.

If you pick up a tag along, don't bother with the crying. Just tell the person you prefer to hike only with the rest of your group. It's a reasonable statement. You know you don't have a group, but it's slightly safer than saying you're alone and prefer it that way.

StarLyte
03-08-2007, 21:25
You have every right to be concerned and ask this question. That could be a scary thought.

However, there is no "general accepted rule". Too bad, eh? :-?

Don't use lies or unnecessary antics. Think sensible. You'll have a clearer head out there.

If you feel threatened, you can think your way out logically, and if that fails use Jester's idea :D

KMaha
03-08-2007, 21:27
My question was a bit tongue in cheek. The AT is very different, from what I am reading in the BB's and the book, from any other hiking you will do. Being a very communal atmosphere and having so many regulars I did not want to start off my trail experience by stepping on any toes.
I am glad to hear that most others like the solitude on the trail.

Space aliens or super powers.....hmmmmmmm

Jester2000
03-08-2007, 21:29
Yeah, from my experience, a lot of people like being alone during the day, and the communal thing tends to happen in the evening, as we're all pretty much afraid of the dark.

Except for Lone Wolf.

Fannypack
03-08-2007, 21:44
:-?
Now I don't mind the idea of socializing at shelters and what not, but is it common to pick up a "hiking partner" (one who just happens upon you and stays with you) while on the trail? If so, what is the general AT accepted rule for shooing them away?
the best thing would be to get on there and hike some weekends or longer on the AT and the solution will come to ya.

emerald
03-08-2007, 21:44
Being a very communal atmosphere and having so many regulars I did not want to start off my trail experience by stepping on any toes.

The only place you're apt to step on any toes is at shelters. Unlike the A.T. proper, here you're more apt to have your toes bitten, or is that nibbled?:rolleyes:

TJ aka Teej
03-08-2007, 22:09
Hike in front. Fart. Lots.

skyhiker2
03-08-2007, 22:12

Wolf,, I hope we meet on the trail someday. I think we may have a few things in common. (LOL)..........

Bravo
03-08-2007, 22:39
Tell em you're hiking with Jesus and you don't want them to feel like the 3rd wheel.:D

If they like being the third tell em you're picking up Buddha at the next shelter and 4 is too much of crowd.

If all else fails then resort to LW's sage advice.

rafe
03-08-2007, 22:42
There must be fifty ways to lose your hiker. ;)

briarpatch
03-08-2007, 22:56
Yeah, from my experience, a lot of people like being alone during the day, and the communal thing tends to happen in the evening, as we're all pretty much afraid of the dark.

Except for Lone Wolf.

The dark is afraid of Lone Wolf, uh er, I mean Chuck Norris.

Bravo
03-08-2007, 22:59
The dark is afraid of Lone Wolf, uh er, I mean Chuck Norris.

Didn't you know that's why the sun rises again. The dark gets scared of the howl.:D

Gray Blazer
03-08-2007, 23:11
There's a bunch of Lone Wolf movies coming on turner classic tonite. Coincidence? I didn't know LW was really William Warren.

Dances with Mice
03-08-2007, 23:24
There must be fifty ways to lose your hiker. ;)
"The problem is all inside your tent", she said to me
The answer is easy if you take it logically
I'd like to help you in your struggle to be free
There must be fifty ways to leave your hiker

You just pour out his Jack, Mac
Then hide his boots, Roots
Blow up his stove, Rose
Leave the shelter real early.
Walk through the snow, Flo
Hitch into town now
To go see the fuzz, Buzz
And get an TRO.

Slip out in the dark, Spark
Take his shoe lace, Grace
Slash his mat, Pat
Just listen to me
Jump on the Trail, Dale
You don't need to discuss much
Just mace him in the face, Ace
And get yourself free

KMaha
03-09-2007, 00:02
Dances...I do believe that is the best post by far. Congrats!!!

Moxie00
03-09-2007, 00:27
It's late and I could go on for pages on this subject. About three months into my thru hike I was about to cross the Mason Dixon Line. I had hiked with a wonderful group so far and thought the world about everyone on the trail. We had become a family and sometimes I woulld have a partner for a week or so, theen we would drift apart and sometimes get together again a couple of hundred miles up the trail. By then everyone knew everyone within 20 miles of each other and as things go on the trail we were sort of a loose family. One very wet night in Md. I stopped at a shelter and Pat from Maine introduced me to "Russ". Russ was about my age and had started in Georgia in the spring. He lasted maby a week then quit and went home. I guess his wife was not pleased and nagged him so much for quitting that he went to Harpers ferry and startted north. I found him annoying from day one. He never left me, hiking about 10 feet behind me. He sang awful songs. I told him to shut up as he was scaring the wildlife so he driopped back to 20 feet behind me and kept singing. I told him to go ahead at one point as I wanted to hike alone. He went ahead but before i got 200 yards, there he was, sitting on a stump. He said,"just didn't want you to be lonely". I picked up my speed, practically running for miles. When we got to PenMar park he was beat and said he needed a break from the trail. I walked up to a couple having a picnic, introduced myself, and asked if they could drop Russ off at a motel. I felt I was rid of him and went on hiking into the night to put miles between us. A day later he was waiting for me at a road crossing, he had hitch hiked ahead to catch up with me. One night at a shelter he went to town and did his laundry. We all gave him money to purchase hot dogs, beer, and soda. One fellow was thirty cents short on his share and Russ had a real hissy fit. By now he had earned a trail name. AM, it stood for annoying man. Nothing changed for several days,I was hiking with a small group of friends and no matter what I did I could not shake AM. At Pine Grove Furnace a bunch of us went to dinner and left him behind, he never took the hint. I managed to get behind him just south of Boiling Springs. All my friends were planning so stay at trail angel, Mother Hen's house but I tented in a corn field rather than spend an evening with AM. Sometime during the night he decided the life on the trail wasn't for him and he went home. In the week or so he stuck to me I was nice and told him I wanted to hike alone, I insulted him, I even got nasty at times, I tried to ignore him and even toul him to ****** off a couple of times but he clung to me like I was a life preserver and he was a non swimmer in a very deep river. I can't give you any advice because nothing worked for me with AM. I'm sure he was no different in life than he was on the trail. He told me that in life he had worked alone in his own partner or secretary and had just retired. I feel sorry for AM because he was just plain lonely and in a strange enviroment but with hundreds of hikers on the trail in 2000 I just don'e know why this A** Hole adopted me.

peanuts
03-09-2007, 00:31
dances.... bravo...bravo
that was very funny!!!!

Bravo
03-09-2007, 00:32
It's late and I could go on for pages on this subject. About three months into my thru hike I was about to cross the Mason Dixon Line. I had hiked with a wonderful group so far and thought the world about everyone on the trail. We had become a family and sometimes I woulld have a partner for a week or so, theen we would drift apart and sometimes get together again a couple of hundred miles up the trail. By then everyone knew everyone within 20 miles of each other and as things go on the trail we were sort of a loose family. One very wet night in Md. I stopped at a shelter and Pat from Maine introduced me to "Russ". Russ was about my age and had started in Georgia in the spring. He lasted maby a week then quit and went home. I guess his wife was not pleased and nagged him so much for quitting that he went to Harpers ferry and startted north. I found him annoying from day one. He never left me, hiking about 10 feet behind me. He sang awful songs. I told him to shut up as he was scaring the wildlife so he driopped back to 20 feet behind me and kept singing. I told him to go ahead at one point as I wanted to hike alone. He went ahead but before i got 200 yards, there he was, sitting on a stump. He said,"just didn't want you to be lonely". I picked up my speed, practically running for miles. When we got to PenMar park he was beat and said he needed a break from the trail. I walked up to a couple having a picnic, introduced myself, and asked if they could drop Russ off at a motel. I felt I was rid of him and went on hiking into the night to put miles between us. A day later he was waiting for me at a road crossing, he had hitch hiked ahead to catch up with me. One night at a shelter he went to town and did his laundry. We all gave him money to purchase hot dogs, beer, and soda. One fellow was thirty cents short on his share and Russ had a real hissy fit. By now he had earned a trail name. AM, it stood for annoying man. Nothing changed for several days,I was hiking with a small group of friends and no matter what I did I could not shake AM. At Pine Grove Furnace a bunch of us went to dinner and left him behind, he never took the hint. I managed to get behind him just south of Boiling Springs. All my friends were planning so stay at trail angel, Mother Hen's house but I tented in a corn field rather than spend an evening with AM. Sometime during the night he decided the life on the trail wasn't for him and he went home. In the week or so he stuck to me I was nice and told him I wanted to hike alone, I insulted him, I even got nasty at times, I tried to ignore him and even toul him to ****** off a couple of times but he clung to me like I was a life preserver and he was a non swimmer in a very deep river. I can't give you any advice because nothing worked for me with AM. I'm sure he was no different in life than he was on the trail. He told me that in life he had worked alone in his own partner or secretary and had just retired. I feel sorry for AM because he was just plain lonely and in a strange enviroment but with hundreds of hikers on the trail in 2000 I just don'e know why this A** Hole adopted me.

Isn't Russ The Weasel???

Jack Tarlin
03-09-2007, 00:37
Mox, that's about the funniest damned thing I've read on WB in days and days!

Having hiked with Mox and knowing his personality, the idea of another hiker, especially a middle-aged guy, developing a rabid crush on Moxie absolutely boggles the mind. :eek:

Trailwind
03-09-2007, 00:46
Hike in front. Fart. Lots.
All that'll do is get you a trailname...:D

hammock engineer
03-09-2007, 01:04

Got to love the simple advice.

If all else fails, get an early start and leave them in the dust. If others are around the shelter ask them to stall the other person for awhile, then tell them that they are killing your hike.

ASUGrad
03-09-2007, 10:08
Question: How do you creep someone out so badly, they leave you alone?

Johnny Thunder
03-09-2007, 10:40

Haven't had to do this to a hiking buddy but sometimes I need to use this stuff on clingy women and constant-line-stepping-friends...

I'm italian-american and often use the mafia angle (also from Northern NJ). See: My Uncle Tiny just killed somebody. He's going to be staying with us for a while.

Sometimes I just flat out hit on dudes so they get uncomfortable and leave. (I'm a dude)

...I just got out of prison...

...the doctor says this flesh-eating disease isn't spreading but I don't buy it...

The last time there was a full moon out here I woke up the next morning covered in grass and my own feces devouring small game...

You get the picture.

If you've ever seen "The Fan" episode from the Tenacious D HBO Series then you'll understand...If someone is going to take the fun out of your woods experience so that they can be comfortable then you should take the comfort out of their experience with a little fun at their expense...Tent ridiculously close to them. Ask to trade sweaty clothing. Just out cling 'em.

Johnny

sliderule
03-09-2007, 10:57

It's a natural talent that I have.

Toolshed
03-09-2007, 11:21
Mox, that's about the funniest damned thing I've read on WB in days and days!

Having hiked with Mox and knowing his personality, the idea of another hiker, especially a middle-aged guy, developing a rabid crush on Moxie absolutely boggles the mind. :eek:
Hell.....After reading it, I though Moxie was a smiokin' hot babe!!!!

sliderule
03-09-2007, 13:19
Having hiked with Mox.....

Tell us, Jack, how was Mox finally able to shake you?

grysmn
03-09-2007, 16:20
First tell the person in privite that the chemistry is wierd and you want some distance without making an issue. If the problem persists (the person claiming some sort of implied attachment, or confused about the change) Repeat step two in front of a third person. At this point you cannot be seen near the person, Others won't know what is going on). If the problem persists call a Ranger and agree to an mutually exclusive scheadule. Afterwards whatever you do never talk to that person or no one will help you. If you are seen around the person you will be thought of as a Drama Queen.

Hoku
03-09-2007, 18:06
Now I am totally going to have that song in my head on the trail...

Ronin
03-09-2007, 18:18
This is a time where that big Bowie/Rambo knife that everyone says to leave at home could prove useful. Just pull a Crocodile Dundee on their a**! :p

smokymtnsteve
03-09-2007, 18:48
1. Introduce them to your invisable friend.
2. Tell them your walking for all your HIV pos friends.
3. If you're female, tell them your sex change operation is almost finished.
4. If you're male, tell them your sex change operation is almost finished.
5. If you have had a sex change, tell them so.
6. Tell them about the space aliens.
7. Tell them about your super powers.
8. Tell them you're from NYC and they'd better fork off.
9. Pull out your false teeth.
10. Tell them you're John Gotti's daughter.

what is wrong with having HIV+ friends..lots of HIV+ folks hike and ar around U everyday in your life,,,maybe even at your dentist office,,,and certainly working at your local hospital

Jester2000
03-09-2007, 22:18
I am outraged! Outraged! That Smokymtnsteve is not offended at the implied insult to invisible friends!

SGT Rock
03-09-2007, 22:45
Ask them if you can have some alone time together ;)

superman
03-10-2007, 16:56
LOL, it was easy. I just started telling anecdotes and like magic I was alone in the woods again. The very few who stayed on for more anecdotes were very sick puppies and turned out to be good friends.

sliderule
03-10-2007, 18:14
I just started telling anecdotes and like magic I was alone in the woods again.

No antidote like a good anecdote!!!

Moxie00
03-10-2007, 22:41
Mox would never shake Jack, he is a great person to hike with and he has forgotten more long distance tricks than any 5 books on hiking I have read. I am old and slow, and even with burbon and camels Jack is a faster hiker. We started the 100 mile about the same time, he climbed Katahdin and I waved ti the summit from Abol Bridge knowing Jack was that far ahead of me at the end. If you ever get a chance to hike with one Baltimore Jack savor every minute of it. You will learn something.

Moxie00
03-10-2007, 22:43
Mox would never shake Jack, he is a great person to hike with and he has forgotten more long distance tricks than any 5 books on hiking I have read. I am old and slow, and even with burbon and camels Jack is a faster hiker. We started the 100 mile about the same time, he climbed Katahdin and I waved to the summit from Abol Bridge knowing Jack was that far ahead of me at the end. If you ever get a chance to hike with one Baltimore Jack savor every minute of it. You will learn something.