PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Dog Thru Hikers

frieden
03-09-2007, 01:48
Are you thru hiking with your dog this year? Have ideas to share? Need help? Care pkg? Let us know how you are doing, stay safe, and have fun!

doggiebag
03-09-2007, 05:55
Are you thru hiking with your dog this year? Have ideas to share? Need help? Care pkg? Let us know how you are doing, stay safe, and have fun!
Give me good karma. One each Cattledog and myself. Driving down from Baltimore to hit Springer - current concern is the Smokies where I have to kennel the dog until I get to end of park otherwise we are going to try minimal mail support and lot's of wing and a prayer adventure. Thanks for the good karma.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=15513&c=553

Regards,
M

galaleemc
03-09-2007, 12:28
Three out of four dogs that have made it this far, have been sent home. Expecting two more - IF they make it - started today.

frieden
03-16-2007, 19:19
Good karma it is! Hang in there, and keep us informed!

All the best - Frieden & Ed

Give me good karma. One each Cattledog and myself. Driving down from Baltimore to hit Springer - current concern is the Smokies where I have to kennel the dog until I get to end of park otherwise we are going to try minimal mail support and lot's of wing and a prayer adventure. Thanks for the good karma.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=15513&c=553

Regards,
M

frieden
03-16-2007, 19:21
Do you know why they were sent home? Who kept going?

Three out of four dogs that have made it this far, have been sent home. Expecting two more - IF they make it - started today.

doggiebag
03-16-2007, 19:44
Good karma it is! Hang in there, and keep us informed!

All the best - Frieden & Ed

On schedule all responsibilities taken care of ... I even have the rental car. Hoooahhh! Now if I can just get the dog to start sleeping without the BFK (big focken knife). http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=15527&catid=member&imageuser=11899

Good karma.
Regards,
M

galaleemc
03-16-2007, 22:30
So that ups the odds.

frieden
03-18-2007, 23:28
Who are the dogs that passed thru? Did they get out ok? Thanks for the updates.

If anyone sees a journal that posts progress for a 2007 canine team, feel free to post the link here.

So that ups the odds.

galaleemc
03-19-2007, 13:32
The odds have been increased:

The Anatolian and Boarder collie came and left.

We have Tucker here right now doing well. Labmutt
We had Grizzly here and gone with Albany and Maine

galaleemc
03-19-2007, 13:37
One other deaf dog came and went with Grambo

I'd prefer not to say who the other dogs were, they went home due to age, hyperactivity (he owned the human), scared, and just dead dog tired of pack.

frieden
03-21-2007, 02:30
Thanks! Good luck everyone!

Jaybird
03-21-2007, 06:28
Are you thru hiking with your dog this year? .................................................. .....

youre putting your animal thru torture when youre on a THRU-HIKE...
THINK of the animal (& your fellow hikers)....LEAVE THEM HOME!:D

SteveJ
03-21-2007, 19:52

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16259

"This forum was created for the purpose of discussing how to responsibly hike the trail with a dog. The purpose of the forum is not to debate the whole topic of dogs on the trail. If your aim is to do so, please go to The general forum or poll forum or something. Otherwise stay away from these threads." etc., etc....

frieden
03-22-2007, 22:30
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16259

"This forum was created for the purpose of discussing how to responsibly hike the trail with a dog. The purpose of the forum is not to debate the whole topic of dogs on the trail. If your aim is to do so, please go to The general forum or poll forum or something. Otherwise stay away from these threads." etc., etc....

Thank you SteveJ. JB, that sort of post does not belong here. Please, go to the general forum.

doggiebag
04-17-2007, 02:54
Just a quick update. Crossing into NC sometime today. Recovered from ankle injuries around Cowrock mountain. Weather delays and too heavy of a pack slowed me and Aldo down. Stayed at the following hostels: Hiker Hostel, Mountain Crossing and Cloud 9. All great places. Planning on hitting Fontana Dam within 10 days. I've got enough provisions to last without resupply. The dog is doing great ... going a little feral. Met some great folks. Mountain Squid, Texas Jack, Crazy Horse, Copperhead, Pilgrirm .... too many to name. I hope all is doing well. Take it from me. Start slow and go slower. Listen to your body. You can push it past the pain but don't ignore signals when you are damaging yourself. Good luck to all. Regards,
M

frieden
04-25-2007, 23:35
Thanks for letting us know where you are, doggiebag, and that you both are doing well.

Sorry, I've been off the board for a couple of weeks. Ed and I were hiking the Hill (Capital Hill, that is). We both loved DC, and even Ed got used to riding the Metro.

Hang in there, and stay safe. We'll follow your progress through your journal, as well.

doggiebag
05-17-2007, 11:46
5-1
Colleen from the Loving Care Kennels picked up Aldo at the Fontana Hilton at around 9 PM.
5-2
I started the Smokys less my dog ... it sucks handing him off to a stranger ... but oh well.
5-6
Powered through the Smokies heading to Standing Bear.
5-7
Colleen drops Aldo off at Standing Bear Farms ... a happy reunion indeed.
5-10
Team Doggiebag makes it to Hot Springs, NC ... we resupply and drive on heading to Erwin, TN.
5-11
Camped on a hillside near Pump Gap.
5-15
Did 17.5 miles today ... food stocks running low.
5-16
Made it to Erwin, TN ... resupplying and doing a zero. Next stop Roan Mountain then on to Damascus, VA.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Regards,
Team Doggiebag
Max and Aldo

doggiebag
05-28-2007, 11:19
5-28
Overnighted in new Mountaineer Shelter near Elk Park, TN heading to Damascus. Note Groomers in TN are allowed to sell flea and tick meds that some states require Vets to dispense. No tick problems after treatment. Aldo rumbled with a huge black snake yesterday. At least he's learning that some sticks do bite.

Hope everyone is doing well.
Team Doggiebag
Max and Aldo

Gaiter
05-28-2007, 11:38
nc can also sell frontline over the counter by groomers, pet shops, and kennels
But I have to caution against other over the counter brands, such as hertz (i think thats it, sold at wal-mart) we suspect that a neighbor who had been giving hertz flea oil to the strays, gave it to my cat who had a major reaction, including seizures and we had to rush her to the vets office,
vet noticed an oil spot on the back of my cats neck and thought it was from hertz and then we found out about the neighbor giving it to strays and put two and two together.

SunnyWalker
05-28-2007, 12:22
Do you folks keep your dog on a leash when you are hiking the AT? How do you feel when you come up to a hiker going the opposite direction (your dog ahead of you) and the hiker is pushing your dog away with a staff? (not hurting the dog I hope). -SunnyWalker

Deb
05-28-2007, 22:04
nc can also sell frontline over the counter by groomers, pet shops, and kennels
But I have to caution against other over the counter brands, such as hertz (i think thats it, sold at wal-mart) we suspect that a neighbor who had been giving hertz flea oil to the strays, gave it to my cat who had a major reaction, including seizures and we had to rush her to the vets office,
vet noticed an oil spot on the back of my cats neck and thought it was from hertz and then we found out about the neighbor giving it to strays and put two and two together.

That's Hartz brand cat flea/tick treatment. Nasty stuff, I can't believe it was ever approved for use and continues to be sold.
It's well documented that it's caused a lot of deaths. I had a close call with a cat of mine.
Frontline is the best. I use it exclusively on my cats and never had a problem or any reaction.

Gaiter
05-29-2007, 03:30
That's Hartz brand cat flea/tick treatment. Nasty stuff, I can't believe it was ever approved for use and continues to be sold.
It's well documented that it's caused a lot of deaths. I had a close call with a cat of mine.
Frontline is the best. I use it exclusively on my cats and never had a problem or any reaction.

yep, that stuff, its a horrible joke, don't use it, no matter how cheap it is!

Rouen
05-29-2007, 16:04
theres a petco in Pittsfield MA that sells frontline and advantage, it's not too hard to get to if you hitch south from the Cheshire Rt. 8 crossing.
good to hear you're moving along and aldo is doing good, doggiebag.

Sunnywalker, I think it depends on the dog, some dogs are just to friendly for their own good, some dont stay close enough and need to be leashed, others can go unleashed without a problem, just dont expect everyone who passes you to be a dog lover, or friendly in general.

Gaiter
05-29-2007, 19:06
Do you folks keep your dog on a leash when you are hiking the AT? How do you feel when you come up to a hiker going the opposite direction (your dog ahead of you) and the hiker is pushing your dog away with a staff? (not hurting the dog I hope). -SunnyWalker

adding to what rouen said, it does depend on the dog and owner, if you look through some of the training and other threads in the dog section, you'll find various approaches.
and in regards to hiking past other hikers, I, personally do my best to make sure me and my dog aren't in any one else's way, we step off the trail, even if it means standing in a patch of stinging nettles (not allergic to posion ivy yet, knock on wood)

SunnyWalker
06-01-2007, 22:46
It sounds really great, to take a dog along. To have a "friend" like that constantly along and what entertainment! I appreciate the input. -SunnyWalker

Allyson
10-14-2007, 13:28
It sounds really great, to take a dog along. To have a "friend" like that constantly along and what entertainment! I appreciate the input. -SunnyWalker

Sunny - It is extremely rewarding to take your dog on a hike. The couple of times that I've hiked without Perseus and Athena, I had this constant sense of something missing. BUT, before you make that leap, do a lot of research, talk to your vet, and do some long day hikes or 2-3 day hikes to see how your dog does. You'll also find a wealth of info in posts by Frieden and Phreak.

River
10-28-2007, 21:38
I'll be hiking SOBO in 08 with my dog. I'm not in the least worried about her in the south, but I keep struggling with Maine through the Whites. I'm not concerned about her energy doing the mountains... she's a young golden retriever with ten times my energy. I'm concerned about safety in some areas. I've had several friends offer support wherever I need it. I'm wondering if there are sections I should call in some dog sitting help....?

Anyone out there with experience doing this section with their dog who could give me the beta on what to expect? If there is a section you would have asked for 'dog help', where would it be?

Just looking for some peace of mind.

thelowend
01-23-2010, 03:13

they are animals...... with proper conditioning, nutrition, safety precautions and all that good stuff that also keeps us healthy on the trail, they are fine. things can certainly happen but not anything too much worse than could happen to us unless the owner were to be negligent. i plan on thru hiking with my little black lab sobo next year and she just took her first backpacking trip in the cohuttas down here in ga which she did great on. with the right amount of training she will be fine. if anything happens, i have family i can have come get her or worst case, we take her back ourselves. dogs that are unprepared im sure are all to common as well as negligent owners on the trail so im sure that the image is just been soured by these folks..