PDA

View Full Version : sweaty bag question

ShowMe
03-09-2007, 02:26
Hi all. I know that down bags are recomended over synthetic bags with the only downside being what happens if they get wet. My concern before getting a new bag is that I sweat a lot at night. It is a medical symptom and not a result of what I wear to bed (nothing if you must know :o ) or any enviornmental conditions. What are your thoughts on the effect this would have on a down bag as opposed to my synthethic bag? Do you think I would be better off going synthetic for a 5-6 month hike? Again, the night sweats can't be contolled by a cooler bag or different sleepwear.
Thank You Much :)
Geoff

Singe03
03-09-2007, 02:38
You would be surprised how much dampness a down bag can actually take and still be OK. If they get soaked your in trouble but the whole paranoia about every drop of moisture is misplaced. The rain and resulting humidity in 2003 were pretty fierce and those of us with down bags were just fine.

Of course I dont know how much sweat constitutes alot in your book, if there is a danger of saturating the bag then you are probabily better off going synthetic, otherwise I'd say turn it inside out or open it up and hang it up for a bit while you cook breakfast and break camp (if of course it is dry out) and do the same while you eat dinner and setup camp for the night.

ShowMe
03-09-2007, 02:44
Very helpful to know. Thank You.
Geoff

Egads
03-09-2007, 07:51
Use a silk liner. Much easier to clean & may help with the inevitable funk.

Mother Nature
03-09-2007, 08:45
As a "fellow sweater" I understand your concern.

I tried a silk liner but find that I toss and turn too much during the night. The liner got all twisted and bound around me.

I switched to wearing a lightweight pair of silk long underwear to bed. It was especially helpful in the summer as I didn't "stick" to my bag.

MN

rafe
03-09-2007, 08:56
Down bags can be washed, with a bit of care, at any laundromat (in an upright washer.) Bring lots of quarters, as they take a long time to dry. I wash mine rarely, and only when they need it. The silk underwear is a good idea also.

Lone Wolf
03-09-2007, 08:57
never mind. i saw the thread title and thought it was about something else

bigmac_in
03-09-2007, 09:05

ROTFLMAO @ L. Wolf

I wondered myself.....

maxNcathy
03-09-2007, 09:13
I would try an 800+ down bag with pertex or other very breathable shell.

Footslogger
03-09-2007, 10:03
Hi all. I know that down bags are recomended over synthetic bags with the only downside being what happens if they get wet. My concern before getting a new bag is that I sweat a lot at night. It is a medical symptom and not a result of what I wear to bed (nothing if you must know :o ) or any enviornmental conditions. What are your thoughts on the effect this would have on a down bag as opposed to my synthethic bag? Do you think I would be better off going synthetic for a 5-6 month hike? Again, the night sweats can't be contolled by a cooler bag or different sleepwear.
Thank You Much :)
Geoff
======================================

If you're really concerned about it you could use a bag liner. Other than that it is possible to wash a bag along the trail ...either synthetic or down. You just have to allow enough time to do the job correctly and make sure you have the right detergent and washer/dryer.

'Slogger

Midway Sam
03-09-2007, 10:15
Yeah, I had the obligatory "Body Glide" and "compression shorts" answer at hand.

Fiddler
03-09-2007, 10:35
When are you leaving? Maybe you could sleep in it for a week or 2 at home before your trip to find out just how much it will absorb. If it is too warm in the house for the bag open it and sleep on top of it, or even sleep outdoors. Gonna be outdoors 5 or 6 months anyway, might as well get in some practice now. You could even prepare and eat your evening meal outside as well to practice your cooking skills.

booney_1
03-09-2007, 11:16
Most people don't air their bags enough.(down and synthetic) Hang it as often as you can. It if has a full zipper, open it up in the morning, and let it air out while you are cooking, getting water, etc. Even if you are not sweaty, you are losing moisture, which will stay in bag.

ShowMe
03-09-2007, 23:09
Yeah, I had the obligatory "Body Glide" and "compression shorts" answer at hand.

That answers my other sweaty bag question. Wow you guys are good.
Thanks everyone for the input.

freefall
03-09-2007, 23:32

:(Glad I wasn't the only one thought this was gonna be a chaffing thread.

To address the real topic:

I would maybe contact one of the bag manufacturers to see what they say about sweat's affect on the down's effectiveness. Water and rain is just, well, water, but sweat has all kinds of minerals dissolved in it. I would think they would alter the insulation abilities over time, like they do with clothing.

mindi
03-10-2007, 00:00
I have the same problem..combination of meds and hormonal problems. I got a silk liner and when I did my shakedown it really helped a lot. Even if you soak the liner, it airs out and dries relatively quickly. Also if you get hot as well (like I do) it's nice to use as a sheet instead of getting inside the bag at night.

I did have a bit of a problem with the tossing and turning getting it a little twisted but I found that if I sort of wrapped it around myself like a sheet rather than getting inside it, it wasn't as bad. You might also consider just slitting it down the side and making a sheet or getting a larger size.

freefall
03-10-2007, 00:15
I did have a bit of a problem with the tossing and turning getting it a little twisted but I found that if I sort of wrapped it around myself like a sheet rather than getting inside it, it wasn't as bad. You might also consider just slitting it down the side and making a sheet or getting a larger size.

Not to hi-jack the thread but, I found I don't toss and turn in a hammock like I used to in a tent.:D

Hoku
03-11-2007, 01:42
I'm partial to these... 6 oz. on my scale, and more versatile than a liner.
http://www.amazon.com/Cocoon-Mens-Silk-Travel-Pajamas/dp/B0006Q0IXW

bigmac_in
03-11-2007, 09:49
I'm just posting to keep this thread near the top of "today's posts" - I laugh out loud every time I see the title...... can't help it, I'm a guy......

mweinstone
03-11-2007, 18:59
your fine. go to sleep. your not wet.

ShowMe
03-11-2007, 23:10
your fine. go to sleep. your not wet.

Youre right I am fine and I'm not wet. I am wet when I wake up. But thanks anyway. :)

Senor Quack
03-12-2007, 12:54
Youre right I am fine and I'm not wet. I am wet when I wake up. But thanks anyway. :)

I can't wait to meet this dude on the trail..

ShowMe
03-13-2007, 01:12
I'm looking forward to meeting many good folks on the trail. I should be on springer in mid to late april. I think I will go with the silk p.j,'s to reduce the wet funk. (And compression shorts for that matter) Thanks everyone for the sweaty bag remedies.

:) Geoff

bigmac_in
03-13-2007, 22:22
SWEATY BAG..... HA HA HA HA HA HA HA ...... I can't help myself...

Can't wait for the latest hiking fad - silk jammies ...........

No Belay
03-13-2007, 22:51
When I get a sweaty bag, I just get buckas naked and hang on the ceiling fan for about 15 revolutions on high. Don't know what I'm going to do on the trail.

Savor Happy!