PDA

View Full Version : trail days........

jettjames
03-09-2007, 11:42
so last nite as i was mapping out a rough itenerary, I saw that I was going to be in Damascus for on or about april 7,28,29 the dates that wingfoots update in his book says trail days was changed to. I was pretty excited. now i see that trail days has moved to the weekend of may 20th. man what a bummer, I was really looking forward to trail days.

So is it worth it to hitch a ride BACK to Damascus? or just keep on walking and catch trail days next year after I hike? or just don't sweat it as it is just a bunch of smelly hikers anyway? (plz see the humor in that last one:) )

pt

peanuts
03-09-2007, 11:53
jj, trail days its always been after mothers day!!

Sly
03-09-2007, 11:58
Not sure but Trailfest in Hot Springs may be the last weekend in April. Unless you're close I wouldn't bother to hitch back.

slingblade
03-09-2007, 11:58
Its up to you. I was not sure what to do back in 2000, but I am VERY happy I stuck around. Great memories.

hammock engineer
03-09-2007, 12:11
Not sure but Trailfest in Hot Springs may be the last weekend in April. Unless you're close I wouldn't bother to hitch back.

That's nice to know. That is about the time I will be going through Hot Springs. I like these sort of things. I wasn't planning on hitching back or forward for Trailfest. I should be able to catch both trailfest and traildays.

jettjames
03-09-2007, 12:30

Sly - you are right, I misread in my haste last nite. lesson learned read twice post once!

Does anyone think it is worth is to postpone a bit to hit either of these towns (hot springs / damascus) during their celebrations? I am planning on leaving next wed or thrus. march 14th or 15th ( holy crap!) but could easily wait a few days.

pt

Sly
03-09-2007, 12:51
Personally, I wouldn't postpone my start date, but if you're going to be close just take your time. Grab a good book and do a zero or two on the trail. Hang out in Franklin or at Standing Bear a day or two. If you hike into Trailfest, you should be able to make it to Trail Days.

the_iceman
03-09-2007, 14:45
Ironically I had to postpone my start date to April 5th which now has me in Hot Springs on the 28th. I want to take as few zero as possbile but hey, I will be there anyway.

I was going to hitch back to Trail Days (I hope to be 100 trail miles North) because everyone says you need to go once. Also, from what I have read the trail is a pretty lonely place that weekend. Also, if all your trail buddies go and you don't you would be 3 or 4 days ahead of them. Who knows but time itself. Go with the Flow..............

Jack Tarlin
03-09-2007, 17:52
Trailfest is a very small, very modest "Festival" and while it's a fun time if you happen to be in Hot Springs at the time, it's not really worth planning your itinerary around, in fact, Hot Springs is best enjoyed on a normal, quiet weekend, when the town, the hostels, the campground, and the restaurants aren't filled up. Hikers that make a special effort to be in Hot Springs for what they think is a big festival weekend are in for something of a disappointment.

Trail Days in Damascus is absolutely worth jumping ahead for, or jumping back for. Trailfest isn't that big a deal.

mld
03-11-2007, 16:54
HI

I'm Ron at Mountain Laurel Designs in Roanoke VA. I'll be going to Traildays on Thur (17th) very early am and returning to Roanoke Sun (20th) afternoon. If you've passed Damascus and end up needing a ride from Roanoke (or very close) to Traildays and back, call me at 540 982 0961.

jettjames
03-11-2007, 17:58
hi ron, thanks that might work out very well. tonite is the nite i redo my time tables, which will of course all change :)

I will let you know, thanks again.

pt