PDA

View Full Version : are hallucinations normal?

whitefoot_hp
03-09-2007, 14:06
was hinking the otherday and i noticed all kinds of goblins and monsters all around me. i fed them trailmix and they were gone. is that normal?

Footslogger
03-09-2007, 14:09
...only the part about the trailmix !!

'Slogger

The Weasel
03-09-2007, 14:10
No, and it is really upsetting to see you say that. They prefer Milkbones, and if you feed them trailmix they will start consuming the pretty flowers that float through the air in all those wonderful colors with the sounds coming out of them while i am drifting along the trail feeling so happy with all the things on the planet....Ooops. Babbling.

Milkbones, dammit.

The Weasel

Moxie00
03-09-2007, 14:17
On another mattter, I picked up the pipe and pills ypou lest at cold spring shelter. Post your address and I'll mail them to you.

Johnny Thunder
03-09-2007, 14:35
if you feed them trailmix they will start consuming the pretty flowers that float through the air in all those wonderful colors with the sounds coming out of them while i am drifting along the trail feeling so happy with all the things on the planet....Ooops. Babbling.
The Weasel

And the most important rule: Never feed trail goblins after midnight.

jettjames
03-09-2007, 14:55
but, on a truthful note. I have hulicnated while hiking at nite after hiking all day. was so tired and out of it i thought i was walking thru chinese soldiers dug into fox holes. they were all sleeping and i was actually tip toeing around them and stepping over their weapons until my partner asked me what in the hell i was doing and i snapped out of it. another time while in the army on a very long patrol i saw a clown monster sitting on a mushroom swatting the joes in front of me off a cliff. i stopped and everyone walked into me, like a huge collision, i snapped out of it and kept going. later i found out that my buddy saw the same thing!

so now, i don't hike for 18 hours.

pt

PJ 2005
03-09-2007, 15:31
I definitely saw a cabin that wasn't really there... and I was startled by someone riding their bike across the trail right in front of me. Pretty sure that didn't actually happen.

Dances with Mice
03-09-2007, 15:52
was hinking the otherday How much did you have to hink?

Alligator
03-09-2007, 16:03
On another mattter, I picked up the pipe and pills ypou lest at cold spring shelter. Post your address and I'll mail them to you.Whatever you do, don't lick the stamps that were there too.

Mother's Finest
03-09-2007, 16:17
stay away from the brown acid. it will do it to you everytime.

peace
mf

The Weasel
03-09-2007, 16:20
stay away from the brown acid. it will do it to you everytime.

peace
mf

Whiiiiiiiiiite Rabbbbbbbbbbitttttttttttt......................

The Weasel

Mother's Finest
03-09-2007, 16:23
Whiiiiiiiiiite Rabbbbbbbbbbitttttttttttt......................

The Weasel

watch that weasel....some of us may be induced into a flashback.

peace
mf

The Weasel
03-09-2007, 16:25
watch that weasel....some of us may be induced into a flashback.

peace
mf

If you're ten feet tall.

The Weasel

Topcat
03-09-2007, 16:27
Where are those flashbacks they warned us about????????? I could use one today

orangebug
03-09-2007, 16:39
Sleep deprivation can result in a form of hallucination that consists of "wakeful dreaming." this can be particularly dangerous for truck drivers and pilots. The above comment is interesting from a hiker. I wouldn't have been surprised to hear something like that from soldiers engaged in a forced march - such as Patton's relief of Burgouyne.

The Weasel
03-09-2007, 16:43
Sleep deprivation can result in a form of hallucination that consists of "wakeful dreaming." this can be particularly dangerous for truck drivers and pilots. The above comment is interesting from a hiker. I wouldn't have been surprised to hear something like that from soldiers engaged in a forced march - such as Patton's relief of Burgouyne.

Sleep deprivation? Have physical manifestations that are "dangerous"? Why am I thinking of a new thread in the Politics forum?

The Weasel

Sly
03-09-2007, 16:45
That's right, it's all Bush's fault! ;)

rafe
03-09-2007, 17:40
I was hiking a chunk of trail mid afternoon, on the ridge just south of DWG. It was a beautiful day. I was southbound. Lots of small animals crossed the trail in front of me. But without exception, they all crossed the trail from the left side to the right. Still wondering about that.... I started imagining something nasty and scary off in the woods to my left.

The Old Fhart
03-09-2007, 18:24
Topcat-"Where are those flashbacks they warned us about?????????"As the saying goes: "If it wasn't for flashbacks I wouldn't have any memories at all!";)

emerald
03-09-2007, 18:47
hinking

hinking = thinking about hiking?

hinking = hiking about thinking?

hinking = the result of not thinking about thinking

Next post please!:D

Fannypack
03-09-2007, 18:55
As the saying goes: "If it wasn't for flashbacks I wouldn't have any memories at all!";)
like the 1999 roadtrip to Maine & the Big K "hike"??
now that is a flashback, ayuh (http://www.theheartofnewengland.com/lifeinnewengland/Essays/accents.html)?

emerald
03-09-2007, 18:57
Many a hiker has thought he or she's seen a distant shelter though the forest understory as daylight faded and the necessary miles seemed to have accumulated long ago.

superman
03-09-2007, 19:06
I was "diddle boppen" through the iron triangle having a halucination that I was thru hiking the AT. It was scary. The AT is a wicked long hike.:jump

Froggy
03-09-2007, 20:08
In "The Spirit of St Louis," Charles Lindburgh describes the hallucinations he had on his flight.

It's a great book....

smokymtnsteve
03-09-2007, 20:19
me halliucinate???

wow man liek not really..but i jist got back from smokina bowl and then rode my snowmachine over to the lake to comtemplate Denali...looked up into the sky and there was a perihelion aka sun dog over Denali ---really coool ..esp cause it's -20 f....you could see all three suns and the complete halo around the center sun..does that count??

remeMber always ask for ALASKA GROWN :D

The Weasel
03-09-2007, 20:47
Yes, Caterpillar.

The Weasel

Programbo
03-09-2007, 21:21
I know people are going to laugh at me for saying this (But if you`ve seen this thing also and don`t wish to be laughed at send me a private message and tell me) but way back in the 70`s I was hiking along a part of the trail in Maryland and and had gone up to Annapolis Rocks at like 2:00AM to lay back and look at the stars and stuff and out of the corner of my eye I caught a movement and when I turned I saw this black shape in the sky and as I focused on it in the moonlight I saw it appeared to be a gargoyle like creature slowly flying away into the night...It was moving very slowly on huge wings (Remember how those flying monkeys in the Wizard of Oz moved? That slow motion flying) and I watched it til it blended into the darkness..I know there are some black birds like hawks and stuff up that way which have large wingspans but this thing had a huge human shaped body also as when I first noticed it it was only like 50 feet away

doggiebag
03-09-2007, 21:40
I know people are going to laugh at me for saying this (But if you`ve seen this thing also and don`t wish to be laughed at send me a private message and tell me) but way back in the 70`s I was hiking along a part of the trail in Maryland and and had gone up to Annapolis Rocks at like 2:00AM to lay back and look at the stars and stuff and out of the corner of my eye I caught a movement and when I turned I saw this black shape in the sky and as I focused on it in the moonlight I saw it appeared to be a gargoyle like creature slowly flying away into the night...It was moving very slowly on huge wings (Remember how those flying monkeys in the Wizard of Oz moved? That slow motion flying) and I watched it til it blended into the darkness..I know there are some black birds like hawks and stuff up that way which have large wingspans but this thing had a huge human shaped body also as when I first noticed it it was only like 50 feet away

Now you're really starting to bug me out. I'm not into witches or goblins or flying monkeys ... but in the dark, alone with no hint of civilization ... who knows what kind of freakshow the mind might decide to put on. A little neuroses a little paranoia ... it will not be a dog and pony show.

strnorm
03-09-2007, 21:44
stay away from the musrooms that grow in cow pattys:D

superman
03-09-2007, 22:15
Tex and I camped on one of the over 10,000 ft mountains in Gila National Forest on the CDT. It had been a long day of exertion climbing over and around the massive number of blow downs. It was a clear cold night. The stars were so close you could reach up and grab one. We were not all that far from all the UFO hotspots as the crow flys. This was the perfect opportunity to see a ufo I thought. The air was thin and I felt light headed as I saw the lights coming across the sky.
I said "gee Wally... it's another plane."

Spock
03-09-2007, 22:16
Now you know why folks who hike hard hike hard. After endomorphin comes other happy harmones.

Programbo
03-09-2007, 22:41
We were not all that far from all the UFO hotspots as the crow flys. This was the perfect opportunity to see a ufo I thought.

Leo: I saw a UFO once, man. It was just hanging there in the sky. Then it sent me a message, in big bright yellow letters. I told me I was gonna have a good year.
Steven Hyde: Leo, was this UFO at a football game?
Leo: Yeah, man! And the weird thing was, I was the only one freaking out about it!
[Hyde, Fez, and Kelso start to laugh]
Leo: Wait a minute. Good year? It was a terrible year, man!

Undershaft
03-10-2007, 19:21

Have you ever heard the story of "Mothman"? Your encounter sounds a lot like the descriptions of the Mothman encounters back in the late sixties, I believe. They took place around Point Pleasant, WV. Thats not too far from Maryland, as the moth flies. The stories actually go all the way back to native american times....they called it "Thunderbird". Pretty neat stuff to read about, if you're into that sort of thing.

hopefulhiker
03-10-2007, 19:26
Sometimes after hiking a long time I thought I saw a group of pretty female hikers on the trail.. I even shouted out to them.. Only when I got close it was just a mirage....

doggiebag
03-10-2007, 19:30
Sometimes after hiking a long time I thought I saw a group of pretty female hikers on the trail.. I even shouted out to them.. Only when I got close it was just a mirage....
Maybe it's just me but after being in the woods for a while if I saw a group of pretty female hikers on the trail I'd ask them for food :(

Topcat
03-10-2007, 20:16
After being in the woods for a while, every female hiker is pretty.... I hope the same thing happens to them, its the only chance i have..lol

insure ants
03-10-2007, 20:34
Iditarod riders have this happen a lot. It's not unusual to see a naked woman beside the trail at night in the middle of the Alaska outback, at -30 degrees. :)

Programbo
03-10-2007, 20:55
Have you ever heard the story of "Mothman"? Your encounter sounds a lot like the descriptions of the Mothman encounters back in the late sixties, I believe. They took place around Point Pleasant, WV. Thats not too far from Maryland, as the moth flies. The stories actually go all the way back to native american times....they called it "Thunderbird". Pretty neat stuff to read about, if you're into that sort of thing.

That`s it!..That`s what I saw..I had never heard of this but did a Google search when you posted and there was some drawings people had made of their sightings and it looked like the thing I saw :eek:

doggiebag
03-10-2007, 21:03
That`s it!..That`s what I saw..I had never heard of this but did a Google search when you posted and there was some drawings people had made of their sightings and it looked like the thing I saw :eek:
I hope to have forgotten about this particular thread by the time I make it to that region. Otherwise I'll pick up a hiking buddy during that leg. Gives me goosebumps the size of marbles thinking about seeing some focked up moth thing by myself. Yeccch!

Spork
03-10-2007, 21:23

The 70's you say? That was just me. Sorry if I startled you...

Spork
03-10-2007, 21:25

A group of pretty hikers you say? That was just me. Sorry if I startled you...

Spork
03-10-2007, 21:26
was hinking the otherday and i noticed all kinds of goblins and monsters all around me. i fed them trailmix and they were gone. is that normal?

Goblins and monsters you say? That was just me. Sorry if I startled you...

PS Thanks for the trailmix!

Programbo
03-10-2007, 22:33
I hope to have forgotten about this particular thread by the time I make it to that region. Otherwise I'll pick up a hiking buddy during that leg. Gives me goosebumps the size of marbles thinking about seeing some focked up moth thing by myself. Yeccch!

I`m sure you`ll forget all about it by the time you get to the area just above Rt 40 and I-70.... That`s just north of the Pine Knob Shelter ...So don`t worry about a thing by the time you get there you won`t see any Mothmen or Gargoyles in the area of Central Maryland :)

I hope this puts your mind to reast..Remember there are no flying creatures to worry about on the trail north of I-70....Have a wonderful hike (No mothmen)

doggiebag
03-10-2007, 22:39
I`m sure you`ll forget all about it by the time you get to the area just above Rt 40 and I-70.... That`s just north of the Pine Knob Shelter ...So don`t worry about a thing by the time you get there you won`t see any Mothmen or Gargoyles in the area of Central Maryland :)

I hope this puts your mind to reast..Remember there are no flying creatures to worry about on the trail north of I-70....Have a wonderful hike (No mothmen)

:datzMay the fleas of a thousand camels rest upon your armpits.

Spork
03-10-2007, 22:57

Not to worry. I stopped flying around in Maryland in the late 70's. After that I just kinda bummed around the pacific northwest for a while leaving big tracks, but that got old. For the past few years I've been into water sports up around Lake Champlain. Besides, you couldn't get me to go near Maryland these days after that whole Burkittsville Blair Witch multiple mutilation murder thing...:eek: Anyway, enjoy your hike.

doggiebag
03-10-2007, 23:13
Not to worry. I stopped flying around in Maryland in the late 70's. After that I just kinda bummed around the pacific northwest for a while leaving big tracks, but that got old. For the past few years I've been into water sports up around Lake Champlain. Besides, you couldn't get me to go near Maryland these days after that whole Burkittsville Blair Witch multiple mutilation murder thing...:eek: Anyway, enjoy your hike.

May your girlfriend find employment as a phone actress.

Spork
03-10-2007, 23:20
May your girlfriend find employment as a phone actress.

Hey, thanks for the well wishes!! Actually her interview went pretty well and it's looking good. I just hope my wife doesn't hear about it...

doggiebag
03-10-2007, 23:32
Hey, thanks for the well wishes!! Actually her interview went pretty well and it's looking good. I just hope my wife doesn't hear about it...
Your wife did great on the interview as well (I conducted it). BTW did you let that poor cat out of that glass ball yet. The market for round cats has significantly dropped. Try shaving it and selling it as hairless.

Wanderingson
03-10-2007, 23:44
There I was----

Driving from Salt Lake City to South East Utah to shuttle a group of folks on a whitewater trip. Driving across Solider's Pass at 2:00 in the morning I hit a pretty gnarly snow storm. Huge snowflakes coming down and the road covered in a few inches of snow. As I continued to drive with my sidekick asleep in the back seat, My mind began to play wicked tricks on me. I swear I was driving through a virtual video game. The headlights in the white souroundings made it a real dreamlike state. Fortunately for me, my sidekick woke up and said wow, when did it start snowing? I snapped out of the hallucination and pulled over. I told him I had to take a leak. I got out and got some fresh air then allowed him to drive. If he didn't wake up at that moment. I'm sure I would not be typing this today. That one really freaked me out.

ProphetGreenBlaze
03-10-2007, 23:49
the mind can play wicked tricks when it dosnt have to think of a thousand mundane things that normal every day life puts upon it, that and therse always the possiblity that because of the normal every day crap your mind makes things like goblins look like small children, things like Mothmen look like big birds, that gut feeling that somthings following you, into a insistance that its only a shadow. small children claim to see things that adults refuse to belive

sliderule
03-11-2007, 00:25
Sleep deprivation can result in a form of hallucination that consists of "wakeful dreaming." this can be particularly dangerous for truck drivers and pilots.
More dangerous than falling asleep?

No pilot in his/her right mind would ever admit to having had a hallucination!!! He/she would have to be crazy to do that.

bfitz
03-11-2007, 04:13
My buddy's bumper sticker:

"I brake for hallucinations"

Old Hillwalker
03-11-2007, 07:15
As the saying goes: "If it wasn't for flashbacks I wouldn't have any memories at all!";)

Do they still make tonic in Gonic? Or did the Cocheco Plant close? :-?

Topcat
03-11-2007, 07:25
There is a movie called the Mothman prophecy that anyone interested in the legend should check out. Not the best flick in the world but on a boring rainy night should do in a pinch

Wanderingson
03-11-2007, 09:04
My buddy's bumper sticker:

"I brake for hallucinations"

Now that one had me spewing coffe across the desk--Thanks bfitz

The Old Fhart
03-11-2007, 10:10
HillWalker-"Do they still make tonic in Gonic? Or did the Cocheco Plant close?:-? " Cocheco Bottling Works has been out of business for at least 10 years. I don't know if the fall in popularity of Cocheco tonic (soda to the rest of the world) and their going out of business was just due to decreased demand or if it was because the Cocheco River they used for water was right next to our sewerage treatment plant.;)

Sly
03-11-2007, 10:21
LOL... Since moving away from NE I've stopped using "tonic" to mean soda. I got all sorts of puzzled faces when I asked, "What kind of tonic to you have?"

Another one is rubbish meaning trash. Even on the trail when I asked, "Want me to take your rubbish?" I got weird looks. "Huh?"

Bloodroot
03-19-2007, 09:45
There is a movie called the Mothman prophecy that anyone interested in the legend should check out. Not the best flick in the world but on a boring rainy night should do in a pinch

Lots of strange going-ons in West Virginia around that time. My grandmother remembers back in the day when 'The Flatwoods Monster' was a big deal and gained alot of publicity.