PDA

View Full Version : New REI Packs?

Wyatt
03-09-2007, 17:24
Does anyone have experience with any of the new REI packs? I know that some people have felt that a few of their older designs were a little too heavy or a bit lacking in durability, but haven't heard much feedback on this years lineup.

Thanks,

Wyatt

troglobil
03-09-2007, 18:51
Which one are you interested in? I bought the Ridgeline (65Liter) and so far I really like it.
Some may say it is a little heavy at 4 1/2 lb. compared to some other packs of the same volume, but I think it is worth it. It easily carried 30 lb. and could handle more if needed. I think a lot of the volume is figured in the pockets when I compare it towhat my Aether 70 will hold. It compresses down to carry small loads. Has good adjustability in the suspension.
It does have a J shaped zipper on bottom half of bag which I would rather not be there. It is pretty useless if you use a pack liner, but the zip seems stout enough not to be a weak spot. It has some intersting little zippered pockets behind the waterbottle pockets that are great for holding small items. There is also another small map pocket under the lid. Which by the way is not free floating. A plus in my book, I hate the floating lids when carrying a smal load.
All in all, I'd say it is a good durable pack for folks who like a little more organization and varying load sizes.
Bil

Rain Man
03-09-2007, 23:55
I have their UL 45 and like it well enough that I just ordered their UL 60 "Cruise" model yesterday. The 45 is big enough for me, but when my wife goes with me, I carry some of her stuff too and need more room for that. Their packs are fine and their guarantee can't be beat. I'll try to remember to post a follow-up once the pack comes in.

Their new Ridgeline looked good, but I already have a Gregory Reality that I like a lot and they seem to be similar packs.

Rain:sunMan

starvingmusician
03-10-2007, 07:34
I have their UL 45 and like it well enough that I just ordered their UL 60 "Cruise" model yesterday. <snip> I'll try to remember to post a follow-up once the pack comes in.

Please follow-up. For me, right now it's a toss-up between the Ridgeline, the Cruise or the Starlite (a friend picked up one and it seems like a nice pack).

Judy

troglobil
03-10-2007, 10:19
My wife has the starlite. The only complaint with it is the water bladder holder is in the side pocket and it doesn't really fit any of our bladders. Even the 2 liter has to fold somewhat to get in there.

Bil

Painted Turtle
03-10-2007, 10:25
It depends on the use. I have the REI UL 45 and for weekend trips is fine. I tried a week trip with it and hated it. The 45 shoulder straps just did not cut it with the extra weight. I even put on extra padding. Now looking at the Altmos 65. The only way to find a pack is to go try it on and lload it up with your gear, walk around the store for about and hour, up and down the stairs etc you get the idea.

Rain Man
03-10-2007, 10:48
...The 45 shoulder straps just did not cut it with the extra weight. I even put on extra padding. ....

Not sure I follow. You put weight on the shoulder straps? I put the weight on the waist belt. The shoulder straps just keep the pack upright, but they don't carry the weight.

Judy, my "Cruise" 45 is due in the 21st. I'll post or send my comments when I get it. Could be before then if the local REI store gets 'em in stock first.

Rain:sunMan

jettjames
03-10-2007, 12:02
i just bought a new pack last week. i was looking at the atmos 65 at rei. i then tried the aether 70 and the ridgeline. the aether felt better for me, but the ridgeline was close. it felt like a comfortable solid pack. one of the things i didn't like was the j-zipper ont he bottom. the aether has a seperate zipper for the sleeping back compartment. but if money was an issue i'd would've picked the ridgeline with no reservations, it is about75 bux cheaper than the aether 70.

pt