PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Partners in Ga

firefly
08-12-2003, 07:48
I am looking for hiking partners for weekend trips on the Ga/North Carolina part of the trail. I live in Atlanta. I have years of Backpacking experience but due to a car wreck I am not the speediest hiker anymore.

Coosa
09-12-2003, 23:43
I live in Blairsville and have some weekends free. I hike with a dog and possibly a 10 yr old friend (if she's done her homework).

October's out and Sept 19/20 is out. Other than that, I'm game.

There are a LOT of people in the Georgia AT Club that hike on weekends and do overnights. Are you a member? They're in the Atlanta phone book.

Coosa
and Casey the WonderDog

:cool: :cool:

firefly
09-22-2003, 08:52
I too hike with a dog. She is a Jack Russell mix. She has been in the outdoors around other people and dogs her entire life. She is an unoffical therapy dog at a kids camp. I do not hike with a club because of no-dog rule.

Youngblood
09-22-2003, 09:24
I live in the Atlanta area also and backpack in GA/NC often. I usually try to hike in the 10 to 15 miles/day range in GA/NC. What mileage trips are you interested in?

BTW, I suspect that there are a lot of folks on this site that routinely backpack in GA/NC. I have noticed on some backpacking sites where someone sets up a 'campout' for folks of similar interests & locale to get together and meet old friends or make new ones; like the ones listed below:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping/message/2293

and

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/attrailchat/message/1538

Perhaps, if there is some interest, something of that nature would be worthwhile?

Youngblood

firefly
09-23-2003, 08:40
Unfortunatly I cannot access those sites from my work computor. But I think thats a great idea. Perhaps somebody knows a good spot on the trail that is easy to find and could accomodate a group. It would be fun to plan a "hike in" one saturday nite for WhiteBlaze folks in the area.

Youngblood
09-23-2003, 11:33
I would be interested, but can't make it on Oct. 12th. Maybe we need a 'show of hands' to find out how much interest there is for a north Georgia(?) gathering. Any interest out there?

Youngblood

firefly
09-23-2003, 12:49
That sounds good...How about meeting somewhere like 3 forks since there is plenty of room to camp and you can either hike or drive in. I can go the first weekend in october or any weekend in november..We could ceate a new post and call it a gathering..

Youngblood
09-27-2003, 08:10
Firefly,

Nobody has spoken up about the first weekend in Oct. and that is only a week away. What do you want to do? We could do nothing, set up a backpacking trip on the AT or go ahead with a 'gathering' at the Three Forks/Long Creek Falls area with at least us and see if anyone else shows up. I know I have seen that many people on this list live and or hike in the north Georgia area, so there is a possibility that some folks may decide at the last minute to just show up. With this cool front coming through I may head out to the woods tomorrow for a couple days to just enjoy the crisp fall air.

I noticed from another post that you are a hammock camper also. What kind do you use and are you switching to the tarp/bivy because of cold weather? I am currently using a homemade two-layer version of the Speer Hammock and am looking for some cooler weather to try out some ideas for staying warm.

Youngblood

firefly
09-30-2003, 10:12
This weekend is out for me but next weekend is good or a weekend in november

mjhend24
09-30-2003, 12:48
I'll be hiking the GA section starting on the 9th or 10th of Oct. if anyone is around.......

firefly
10-01-2003, 14:08
Where are you planning to camp on friday and saturday nites..A few of us will be up around Springer mtn and Hightower Gap that weekend and would love to catch up with you if we can

Youngblood
10-01-2003, 18:04
Next weekend won't work for me. Don't know about Nov. yet, have a couple of things in the works.

Youngblood

mjhend24
10-01-2003, 19:19
I plan to stay @ Springer Mtn. Shelter Thursday and then around Hightower Gap on Friday... just depending.

firefly
10-02-2003, 14:39
Cool...look for us next friday nite around Hightower Gap if you are in that neighborhood...my trailname is firefly..I am a not so young anymore female usually accompanied by my 4 legged youngun "bear bait" and other assorted outdoor nuts. We have not been hiking yet this year...look forward to meeting you on the trail and any other whiteblazers out there :)