PDA

View Full Version : Keeping dirt out of trail runners

vaporjourney
03-10-2007, 10:54
Is this a commong problem with most users of trail runners? The only downfall to wearing trail runners as opposed to boots is constant scree entering the shoe, from my perspective. If I'm wearing pants, then this isn't an issue, but in the warmer months where I need to wear shorts, it's a constant nag. This past summer I took to wearing really low gaiters, which of course kept the scree out, but with decreased comfort levels. Are there other options out there? i've seen other hikers with shoes on, no gaiters, and I wonder if they are just putting up with the debris in their shoes, or perhaps there is a method I'm unaware of. Next hike, I'm going to try using the highest lacing holes my shoe offers, which I usually don't use to make my shoes more comfy.

Sly
03-10-2007, 11:08
So far it hasn't been much of a problem for me wearing trail runners. I think I got more stuff in my boots when I wore them. Gaiters are a PITA.

Alligator
03-10-2007, 11:18
My Salomon's have speed laces, so I don't mind as much as they are easy to get on and off. The mesh though lets in a lot of fine dirt. I find it a reasonable trade-off for the lighter weight and substantially fewer blisters.

Blue Jay
03-10-2007, 20:03
i've seen other hikers with shoes on, no gaiters, and I wonder if they are just putting up with the debris in their shoes, or perhaps there is a method I'm unaware of.

You answered your own question very well actually. One of the most important skills while on the trail is to not only learn to put up with dirt but learn to like it. Yes, once in a while you have to dump it out or your foot won't fit in anymore, but you need the break anyway.

highway
03-11-2007, 07:41
Is this a commong problem with most users of trail runners? The only downfall to wearing trail runners as opposed to boots is constant scree entering the shoe, from my perspective...
Are there other options out there? i've seen other hikers with shoes on, no gaiters, and I wonder if they are just putting up with the debris in their shoes, or perhaps there is a method I'm unaware of. ....

It is my experience that debris entering ones footwear while walking is more an occasional happenstance rather than a "constant" one, as you mentioned above.
Deal with it when it occasionally happens rather than dwell upon completely preventing it, especially if its prevention adds weight.

vaporjourney
03-11-2007, 12:41
You answered your own question very well actually. One of the most important skills while on the trail is to not only learn to put up with dirt but learn to like it. Yes, once in a while you have to dump it out or your foot won't fit in anymore, but you need the break anyway.

I'm not sure I totally agree with this because a constant presence of scree in the shoe will wear down socks faster than they naturally age.

Sly
03-11-2007, 14:27
I'm not sure I totally agree with this because a constant presence of scree in the shoe will wear down socks faster than they naturally age.

I think you think too much. So you buy another pair of socks or two, which are cheaper than gaiters.

vaporjourney
03-11-2007, 15:21
I think you think too much.

Fair enough.

I'm sure there is something in tolerance. I'll try to meditate on this while I keep the scree in my shoes next time. No big deal, just a minor annoyance. It's all in the mind right?

Sly
03-11-2007, 15:26
It's all in the mind right?

That's what they say! :D One of my hiking partners fashioned his low gaiters so he could slip them off and off with his trail shoes.

swift
03-11-2007, 15:34
the first time you have a rattlesnake strike at your calf you'll suddenly be a believer in gaiters

yappy
03-11-2007, 15:50
I go barefoot in order to keep that darn scree outta my shoes... what a darn pitb...:)

Sly
03-11-2007, 15:59
the first time you have a rattlesnake strike at your calf you'll suddenly be a believer in gaiters

There are a number of things that can git you out there. Take Yappy for instance! :p Getting bit by a rattle snake is one of the least of my worries.

yappy
03-11-2007, 16:07
hey now Sly, don't be spreading stories !! I peed on a rattler on the Pct... about scared me to death !!!....I don't think he was too thrilled either....

Sly
03-11-2007, 16:09
hey now Sly, don't be spreading stories !! I peed on a rattler on the Pct... about scared me to death !!!....I don't think he was too thrilled either....

LOL... only you!

Vi+
03-11-2007, 19:38
Vaporjourney,

You ask about keeping dirt out of trail runners,

Let’s ignore suggestions you’re unafraid of rattlesnakes, yet a weenie, and try to solve this problem. It seems a valid question.

This may be a question of proper shoe fit. The shoes you’ve chosen may leave too much room about your foot.

But wait! There may be a solution. I don’t have this problem too often, but in the back of my mind lurks the notion of an inexpensive, widely available, lightweight, fairly breathable gator. I cannot, however, think how to make it presentable.

Buy a pair of thin nylon socks. You know, the kind favored by retirees in Florida. Cut away and discard some portion, or all, of the foot portion of the sock. Wear the remaining part to span the gap between your ankle and the shoe top.

Consider before you do this, however, “Wimpy” or “Herpetologist” may sound better to you than some really, really poor trail name you may be assigned, by wearing your brand new “homeless” socks on the fashion conscious AT.

Spock
03-11-2007, 20:01
Gaiters, especially stretch gaiters, are perfect for keeping debris out of running shoes. And as Vi+ says, you can make them from thin nylon sock tops, or you can use cordura spandex for heavy duty.