PDA

View Full Version : Thermarest

corentin
03-10-2007, 11:22
Can I store my thermarest inflatable in it's stuff sack on the outer part of my pack or am I taking a huge risk for punctures? anyone that does this?

NICKTHEGREEK
03-10-2007, 11:36
Can I store my thermarest inflatable in it's stuff sack on the outer part of my pack or am I taking a huge risk for punctures? anyone that does this?

The only thing other than hiking poles that gets carried on the outside of my pack is my 3/4 ul Thermarest as you suggest, rolled and stowed in it's stuff sack. I do tie it on vertically using the webbing loops running up the middle of the pack however. No problems after quite some time.
I should mention that unlike many I see, I don't use my pad on anything but a tent floor or if going cowboy on a ground sheet.

rafe
03-10-2007, 11:36

I have carried mine for well over 1500 miles in its stuff sack, outside my pack.

corentin
03-10-2007, 11:39
Great, thank you for your answer. Now everything else can fit in my pack neatly!

mambo_tango
03-10-2007, 11:45
Great, thank you for your answer. Now everything else can fit in my pack neatly!

You know I just can't resist picking on you but how long do you think 'neatly' is going to last with you?:D

rafe
03-10-2007, 11:46
Corentin, I would also reiterate the advice given by NickTheGreek in Msg #2. I only use my thermarest at camp, in a shelter or in my tent. I don't baby it, but I take a bit of care with the surface that I'm about to set it down on. My old thermarest has had one puncture in the 18 years or so that I've owned and used it.

Spork
03-10-2007, 12:44
I don't use my pad on anything but a tent floor or if going cowboy on a ground sheet.

I didn't know cowboys used inflatable thermarests! I wonder if they tie them on the outside of their saddlebags or put them inside? I wonder how they avoid bullet holes? I wonder what indians sleep on? Featherpads, no doubt...then again, they're really brave! :D

maxNcathy
03-10-2007, 13:08
I roll my 3/4 thermarest along with 4/5 length closed cell pad. More protection for thermarest and more padding for my hips when I sleep, mostly on my sides.

Sandalwood

NICKTHEGREEK
03-10-2007, 13:38
I didn't know cowboys used inflatable thermarests! I wonder if they tie them on the outside of their saddlebags or put them inside? I wonder how they avoid bullet holes? I wonder what indians sleep on? Featherpads, no doubt...then again, they're really brave! :D

A good imagination in search of a brain is a sad thing to behold. :D

white rabbit
03-10-2007, 14:02
I roll my tent polls up in the therma rest, put it in it's stuff sack, and carry it on the outside of my pack. Never had a problem.

grysmn
03-10-2007, 14:05
Most thru hikers used closed cell pads last year. Good luck with your Therm-o-rest

Froggy
03-10-2007, 15:58
I didn't know that Thermarest pads had stuff sacks! Um, did I just reveal my age?

I use a couple rubber bands to hold it closed.

I've carried mine outside, without a sack, with no problems. Of course I tend to stay out of brambles and other thorny places.

mountain squid
03-10-2007, 18:11
While I don't actually have a Thermarest, my InsulMat is pretty much the same thing. I'm not sure, but I 'think' the only time it was inside my ULA P2 pack was through Mahoosuc Notch. Otherwise, it is strapped to the bottom outside horizontally (no stuff sack, either - I use the stuff sack for my 'kitchen'). No puncture holes, yet...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Alligator
03-10-2007, 18:49
I didn't know that Thermarest pads had stuff sacks! Um, did I just reveal my age?

I use a couple rubber bands to hold it closed.

I've carried mine outside, without a sack, with no problems. Of course I tend to stay out of brambles and other thorny places.I've had one since '94. It didn't come with a stuff sack, but you could buy one separate. Now how old are you;) ?

saimyoji
03-10-2007, 19:14
While I don't actually have a Thermarest, my InsulMat is pretty much the same thing. I'm not sure, but I 'think' the only time it was inside my ULA P2 pack was through Mahoosuc Notch. Otherwise, it is strapped to the bottom outside horizontally (no stuff sack, either - I use the stuff sack for my 'kitchen'). No puncture holes, yet...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

I use an inflatable Insulmat and keep it inside my pack. Of course it packs much smaller than a full length self-inflating pad.....

I did hike with a 4lb5oz full length self-inflating 2" Thermarest last summer lashed horizontally to my pack. I had to stop every 30 min or so to resecure it due to snagging...once it came clean off.....no more.

Toolshed
03-11-2007, 01:13
Hell, I am still trying to figure out how indians can "whoop whoop whoop" and shoot a bow and arrow at the same time.....

bfitz
03-11-2007, 04:20
I usually fold my 3/4 thermarest into a flat sqaure shape (which I sit on to squeeze out the last of the air and screw on the cap so its aloms vacuum sealed) and place it at the bottom of my pack, lining the base. It takes hardly any space that way, it's as if the pack is empty.

Sly
03-11-2007, 12:06
The new rage is the 3/4 Prolite. First folded in half and then rolled in a neat 3.4" x 11" 13 oz package and small enough to fit in your pack.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47784027

the_iceman
03-11-2007, 14:32
My therma rests all came with stuff sacks as did my Big Agnes blow-up(matt not doll). Us old folks need the extra cushion you can't get from the egg cartons.

Bravo
03-11-2007, 14:41
My therma rests all came with stuff sacks as did my Big Agnes blow-up(matt not doll). Us old folks need the extra cushion you can't get from the egg cartons.

I may not be old but I like to sleep well. I'll carry an extra pound or two for a good night's sleep.

tha
03-11-2007, 15:16
I may not be old but I like to sleep well. I'll carry an extra pound or two for a good night's sleep.

Do you guys carry a thermarest and the BigAg blow up? I have been considering doing that (I am a few years older than ICE) and you may have just helped me decide. The BigAg stays in the bag sleeve (Mystic-15) even when deflated. Maybe, as a second pad, the Pro lite would be better (lighter). Any opinion?
Thanks.

Bravo
03-11-2007, 17:56
Do you guys carry a thermarest and the BigAg blow up? I have been considering doing that (I am a few years older than ICE) and you may have just helped me decide. The BigAg stays in the bag sleeve (Mystic-15) even when deflated. Maybe, as a second pad, the Pro lite would be better (lighter). Any opinion?
Thanks.

I carry what was the standard thermarest. I just got it replaced with the prolite 4. It was replaced by the company under warranty. If I had to buy a new pad today I'd probably go 3/4 length.

I don't know anything about the BigAg(sorry). I also carry a very nice small down pillow with a fleece cover. The pillow with cover weighs about 8 ounces and the pad weighs 32 ounces. 2 1/2 wopping pounds for a great night sleep.