PDA

View Full Version : Lessons I have learned on the trail so far

Blissful
03-10-2007, 20:52
Just a note as I am here at the Hiawasee Inn before I head back out tomorrow.

Lessons I learned after 7 days -

Start slow. Take your time. I have seen serveral hikers injured from breezing up the Approach Trail only to suffer two days later. Take it easy. You are not prepared even if you think you are (and I really tried to be but things happen you don't expect). So learn as you go and take it easy as you hike.

The trail in GA is tough. For a weekend jaunt, it's comparable to what we did in VA. But thru hiking, a different story. The trail is very tough. Take it one day at a time. And don't get all nervous about the future. Set realistic goals.

Throw out your itinerary. EVERYTHING will change. I thought I could do a lot more. But stuff happens. My glasses broke. My tent pole broke. Others got injuries. Or you are with others and they want to do an easier day b/c of injuries.

If you are having gear issues, get it sorted out at Neels Gap. Yeah some say they are money grubbers. But they helped me out so much, it was worth the money I plunked down for my convertible pants and a new pouch (but I love the gear I bought anyway). Without the pack adjustments, I would have been in serious trouble. Winton was great. And at Neels Gap, stay at the cabins and split the cost with other hikers. I have heard more bad things about the hostel as noisy, coughing, hot, etc. The guy at Goose Creek is great and loves hikers. He will pick you up at Neels Gap. His "lodge" is something to see. Get your pic taken with the lion.

Where we are staying tonight, the Hiawasee Inn, has been great. They gave us the huge "apartment" for the same hiker rate. They have been really great to us. Worth the stay.

That's all from here.

mountain squid
03-10-2007, 21:16
Are we having fun yet?:clap :jump (I bet you are!!!) Good advice, hopefully some other 07ers will benefit.

Good luck on your trek, only about 2100 miles to go:D...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

maxNcathy
03-10-2007, 22:25
Thanks, Blissful. Blessings to you for a wonderful hike.
Sandalwood

hammock engineer
03-11-2007, 02:13
Good to hear that you are having a good hike. I'll be out there some enough. Hoprfully our paths will cross at trail days.

mnof1000v
03-11-2007, 04:49
Awesome, man! Keep it up. You're so right, just stay focused and keep enjoying the hike.

Frog
03-11-2007, 07:39
Great advice. Dont let blisters build or knees take alot of abuse as you are here to enjoy the trail not run a marathon. Ive seen too many shorten there hike by being the tough one who does the twenty mile day only to end up having to rest up for weeks and some months because they pushing way to hard. Do the big miles when the big miles dont have the big hills one right after another. Like ga. does.

emerald
03-11-2007, 17:32
The trail in GA is tough.

Aren't you glad you've hiked in New Hampshire and climbed The Priest a few weeks back? Imagine what Georgia would be like without those experiences to draw upon.

For those who have little or no experience, Georgia can be an eye-opener if not a dream-ender, but as I pointed out to Paul Bunyan--the greatest lumberjack of all time BTW--Georgia needs to be tough to prepare those who will next encounter North Carolina.

Even people who are especially strong, athletic and determined would be well-advised to build up to a longer hike on the A.T. over time by beginning with day-hikes, short overnight-hikes, and in time hikes of a week or more on some of the A.T.'s more demanding terrain. By preparing for a major long-distance hike on the A.T. in this manner, many of the surprises, disappointments and other unpleasantries can be avoided.

Some will no doubt respond "but every year people with little or no experience hike the A.T. from one end to the other." These people are the exception rather than the rule and they do not surrender easily.:D

emerald
03-11-2007, 17:38
You are no doubt helping others who will follow you in the next few weeks. I told some to watch your posts. Give them some good stuff to read.;)

tomman
03-11-2007, 21:57
Thanks for the post Blissful. I shall be on the trail in 3 days. I plan to take it very easy until my body get into trail shape.

Tom

TJ aka Teej
03-11-2007, 22:08
Great thread, Blissful!
Next time you find a keyboard can you tell us about the people you've met and what gear you're really happy with?
enjoy!

Schulo
03-11-2007, 22:10
Truer words have not been spoken Gray. I am building up for a thru in 08 and I have learned so much. The lessons that are learned in traing are less expensive then learning them on the trail. Of course all those who have gone before me and are willing to share some knowledge helps too.

emerald
03-11-2007, 23:55
I plan to take it very easy until my body gets into trail shape.

Tom

That might take 3 weeks or more. Stick with it. You will be amazed what you will be able to accomplish once you've become acclimated. Don't sell yourself short by throwing in the towel before you've given yourself a reasonable opportunity to see what's possible.

WONDERWOMAN
03-14-2007, 02:43
I expect to be out there within two weeks. I am definitely not in shape, so I will be taking it very slow. My prayer for all of us is health, safety and success. Sounds like you are doing GREAT!

ASUGrad
03-14-2007, 08:28
I guess "hike your own hike" might be an appropriate phrase.

mweinstone
03-18-2007, 09:08
mountain crossings aint coughy.

Blissful
04-19-2007, 20:18
Great thread, Blissful!
Next time you find a keyboard can you tell us about the people you've met and what gear you're really happy with?
enjoy!

Just saw this and thought I would comment over a month later! First off, I am so thankful for hikers that gave Paul Bunyan and I food when we ran very short after having to spend an unexpected zero at Overmountain shelter due to high winds and rain. Their generosity is incredible (you know who you are - Patrick, Micro, White Crow). Many have befriended my son too - inviting him places, like even here in Damascus to play cards and eat. :)

Bob and Pat Peoples at Kincora are great people and a wealth of info about the trail. They have a true love for the AT and for hikers, spending time with us all during a snowstorm.

Though I did not get to meet Miss Janet, she did talk to my hubby over the phone and was always willing to help with everything. And the people at the Holiday Inn Express in Erwin were great. A nice place to stay if Miss Janet's is full and you can split the cost with fellow hikers.

Love to "Sunny" ie Mountain Maiden and the special time we had in Hot Springs.

As far as gear - I am so thankful for my synthetic bag that kept me warm during a bad rainstorm that also had heavy condensation inside my tent (PB and I were in the same tent) and left my bag wet in places. I really liked the peace of mind the bag gave. I also have liked my Squall tent that kept the rain at bay during a fierce t-storm at Hogback Ridge and stayed standing in a 40 mph gust. It does work better with one person than two with the condensation issue, for certain, but I still like it every much.

My Spenco hiker inserts I got at Franklin have worked very well and my foot pain was cut in half. Still using my same boots since the start - Salomon Canyon GTX. I'll switch to my second pair of boots at home in May. PB also needed new foot inserts as well. Keep an eye on your feet, ankle and knees. Many have left the trail due to these problems. My knees are very tender on vertical downhills now and I have to take it very slowly. And I have found out not to take the trail fast in the Am but give the joints time to warm up - sometimes two hours if its cold and wet out or I can get unexpected pains.

My pack is heavy and cumbersome, wish I could switch out of it, but after running into so many problems with other packs before the hike began, I'll stick with it for now.

REBELYELL
04-22-2007, 17:19
I wish I would have taken it easier at first,I did'nt know how much damage I had done to a knee and ankle untill it was too late.I had some dumb idea I could just walk it off.Tuff guy I thought I am.Two weeks later I'm still limping,and can only get down stairs one at a time.If I could stand on one leg I'd kick myself in the butt

Rattler
04-29-2007, 06:11
I was in good shape (better than I thought) when I started and was reeling off 14+ days until the second last downhill before Fontana when my knee started complaining. As it felt better on the uphill following I thought that it was just one of those little things that would go away. But the long downhill to Fontana left me unable to put weight on it and a nice young woman hiker had to help me by putting my pack into the shuttle. Now 5-6 weeks later I am still limping. I still wouldn't trade the experience for anything.
Rattler