PDA

View Full Version : Cure/prevention for butt chafe?

dloome
03-11-2007, 20:49
I get the butt chafe, and it's no fun. :eek: I wear very lightweight, loose fitting, well ventilated running shorts when I hike, so I've done all I can do there.

So what causes the chafe? I don't sweat excessively and I keep my ass pretty clean by trail standards. Goldbond helps some, but I'd rather just learn how to prevent it in the first place. It seems to be exacerbated by high mileage days, but I'm not going to cut the mileage I like to do just to prevent a sore ass.

Anyone who's battled chafe care to way in on anything that helped you?
Thanks

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-11-2007, 20:56
I have had success with Desitin Ointment (a product for diaper rash)

rafe
03-11-2007, 20:59
Body Glide. Or Gold Bond. One or the other.

vipahman
03-11-2007, 21:29
Use thin seamless bicycle shorts in place of your underwear and the chaffing will be history. I've thrown out my Gold Bond as I've never had a problem since. The chaffing is usually caused by the seams in the underwear. It works in wet or dry, hot or cold conditions. I never hike without them now!

stuco
03-11-2007, 21:34
Get some non cotton boxer briefs. Lose some weight. I'm fat and I often get chub rub myself. It can be a REAL downer.

Footslogger
03-11-2007, 23:00
Wear whatever you want ...they key is keeping the salt residue from your sweat from drying and rubbing you raw. Period, paragraph, end of subject.

Start carrying some "wet wipes" of some sort (make sure they do not contain alcohol) and wash yourself off at various times during the day.

'Slogger

Toolshed
03-11-2007, 23:03
Wear whatever you want ...they key is keeping the salt residue from your sweat from drying and rubbing you raw. Period, paragraph, end of subject.
'Slogger

This should rank as a top ten Item for thru-hiker to know!!! :sun

skyhiker2
03-12-2007, 08:14
Rubbing = chaffing

Stop the chaffing by removeing the rubbing factor.

The rubbing factor will be somewhat different for each person. Find out whats rubbing on you?

Alligator
03-12-2007, 09:03
'Slogger's on the money. Baby wipes.

highway
03-12-2007, 09:04
I get the butt chafe, and it's no fun. :eek: I wear very lightweight, loose fitting, well ventilated running shorts when I hike, so I've done all I can do there.

So what causes the chafe? I don't sweat excessively and I keep my ass pretty clean by trail standards. Goldbond helps some, but I'd rather just learn how to prevent it in the first place. It seems to be exacerbated by high mileage days, but I'm not going to cut the mileage I like to do just to prevent a sore ass.

Anyone who's battled chafe care to way in on anything that helped you?
Thanks

If by "butt chafe" you are referring to chaffing in the upper thigh area, where your legs rub together, I suspect that it might be caused by the salty residue left behind (no pun intended) by successive layers of the evaporation of your perspiration there.

I have solved it, so far, by not wearing the loose fitting underwear you referred to but rather tight fitting ones, with legs 3-6" in length. This way it is the two layers of the stretch fabric rubbing together at my upper thigh, rather than the two layers of my epidermis, covered with various layers of sharp salt particles acting like sandpaper..

But, thats my observation only

the goat
03-12-2007, 10:04
A+D ointment. they make a medicated king that i use. it's pretty much a diaper cream.

it lubricates while it medicates, can you ask for anything better?

Treadwell
03-12-2007, 12:06
hello all.

i have a real problem with chaffage as well. i used bodyglide on my john muir trail hike and it seemed to relieve my particular difficulties. i just don't know about baby wipes...seems like you'd be wiping constantly. you need something which lubricates...but i'm going to give gold bond a shot, because it's not the first time i've seen it suggested.

cheers!
ben

vaporjourney
03-12-2007, 12:15
Can you still get the chafing if you don't wear undewear at all, and just loose fitting shorts? I tend to wear silk boxers while hiking with shorts, but if chafing starts while on my thru, I guess i'll try with no underwear. Then I'll have to look at other alternatives.

bigben
03-12-2007, 12:58
I can't say it loud enough: UNDER ARMOUR BOXER BRIEFS. THE only drawz I'll pay $22 a pair for. I bet the total combined price of the 10-12 other pairs of underwear I own doesn't equal $22, but then again, I don't hike in those.

Footslogger
03-12-2007, 13:34
Can you still get the chafing if you don't wear undewear at all, and just loose fitting shorts? I tend to wear silk boxers while hiking with shorts, but if chafing starts while on my thru, I guess i'll try with no underwear. Then I'll have to look at other alternatives.

=====================================

I suppose you can if your thighs rub together. That said ...I ditched the u-wear a long time ago and the combination of good ventillation and the wipes I mentioned in an earlier thread I haven't have any more problems with chafe (now where's that block of wood to knock on ??)

'Slogger

dloome
03-12-2007, 18:07
By "butt chafe" I mean between the cheeks of my buttocks, not my thighs. I'm 5'9" and 142 pounds with extremely little body fat, so losing weight is not the issue. Wearing tight fitting shorts/underwear does NOT help, it makes it much worse. I don't know what the solution is,
maybe I need to stop being a wuss and just chafe away until I have tough, leathery buttocks.

Wipes are a good idea, I think the issue may be salt residue as someone mentioned. Maybe I just have salty sweat. Before I resort to carrying a product just for my ass, I think I'll try flushing the area with water a few times throughout the day to keep salt from accumulating. Thanks for the suggestions folks.

Earl Grey
03-12-2007, 18:23
This thread made me lol

highway
03-12-2007, 18:51
By "butt chafe" I mean between the cheeks of my buttocks, not my thighs. I'm 5'9" and 142 pounds with extremely little body fat, so losing weight is not the issue. Wearing tight fitting shorts/underwear does NOT help, it makes it much worse. I don't know what the solution is,
maybe I need to stop being a wuss and just chafe away until I have tough, leathery buttocks.

Wipes are a good idea, I think the issue may be salt residue as someone mentioned. Maybe I just have salty sweat. Before I resort to carrying a product just for my ass, I think I'll try flushing the area with water a few times throughout the day to keep salt from accumulating. Thanks for the suggestions folks.

Flushing a few times during the daY will feel great in the heat of the summer. Might not be as good an idea during the dead of winter! And you probably should try and do it in private. Pouring your drinking water down your backside, inside the elastic of your shorts might look a little peculiar to some of your fellow hikers.

woodsy
03-12-2007, 19:15
Anyone heard of or used this:

For those of you unfamiliar with the product, Boudreaux's Butt Paste is a mixture of zinc oxide, castor oil, mineral oil and Peruvian balsam. It was invented by Louisiana pharmacist George Boudreaux in the late '70s - and while it was once sold exclusively in small pharmacies it is now available nationwide at stores including Wal-Mart and Walgreen's.

While Pitt may not be familiar with the "miracle rub," according to Boudreaux, the ointment has been a hit with many celebrities-young and old. Popular athletes including seven time Tour de France champion Lance Armstrong, basketball great Shaquille O'Neal and NFL quarterback Peyton Manning use it to prevent chafing. And, Boudreaux says he recently sent a case of the famous butt paste to Donald Trump's newest son, Barron.

Chache
03-12-2007, 19:25

I don't know if I'll be able to sleep tonight after that visual.

mudhead
03-12-2007, 20:23
Hydrocortisone 1%. Good for multiple things.

Bag Balm. Good for multiple things. Any ding, cut, or burning sensation.

Laugh if you want, this is serious business.
(But then, I have been called a flaming a**hole.)

6', 150lb.

Tiny dab will do ya.

Jester2000
03-12-2007, 20:32
Only two things have ever worked for me.

A skirt works with no drawers if its a good breezy skirt day.
Other than that -- pantyhose.

Cut 'em off above the knee if you don't want people to know.

Toolshed
03-12-2007, 20:36
I have started using Boudreaux's after having much success with A+D. I like that Boudreaux's doesn't smell like A+D (or Desitin).

The problem with the true butt chafe, and i agre that biking shorts can exacerbate the problem, is that sweat drains from your backside and keeps your cheeks slightly wet. Wet skin softens and chafes easily, You might also find that drying very well after those frequent whore baths becomes one of your best defenses.

The Weasel
03-12-2007, 20:39
This should rank as a top ten Item for thru-hiker to know!!! :sun

Footslogger is 100% right. It's not chafing - that results in dry skin, only, which take a LOT of work. It's the combination of dry skin (from chafing) with salt causing inflamation. In addition to wipes, an aspirin (not ibuprofen or acetominophen) will help.

The Weasel

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-12-2007, 21:02

For those of you unfamiliar with the product, Boudreaux's Butt Paste is a mixture of zinc oxide, castor oil, mineral oil and Peruvian balsam. It was invented by Louisiana pharmacist George Boudreaux in the late '70s - and while it was once sold exclusively in small pharmacies it is now available nationwide at stores including Wal-Mart and Walgreen's. Destin is 40% zinc oxide and the rest is mostly light petroleum jelly. If you can't find the butt paste, the baby cream will work (it does smell like baby stuff)

woodsy
03-12-2007, 21:05
[quote=mudhead

Laugh if you want, this is serious business.)

It sure is serious business, especially in the colder months when no outside air is available for venting.
I came off an 8 mile hike this winter and was in serious discomfort(pain!) from butt chafe, took a couple days to clear up. I won't go out again without my anti-butt chafe.
If the king of butt chafe(Lance Armstrong) uses it, it's good enough for this hiker, thanks for verifing that Bordeaux's works Toolshed.:sun

mudhead
03-12-2007, 21:18
Where in Walmart? I can see the poor clerk: "Where do I find the Butt Paste?"

Baby stuff or anti-itch stuff in Pharm?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-12-2007, 21:22
Butt Paste will be with the lotions and creams for dry skin and rashes in the pharmacy area. The baby cream is with baby lotion, powder, etc.

Jester2000
03-12-2007, 21:23
With the diaper rash stuff.

oldfivetango
03-13-2007, 08:07

Start carrying some "wet wipes" of some sort (make sure they do not contain alcohol) and wash yourself off at various times during the day.

'Slogger

Why no alcohol Slogger? Does it dry the skin out or something?
Thanks.
OFT

moxie
03-13-2007, 08:17
Just stay stoned-you will never notice the rash and if you do you will not care.

Footslogger
03-13-2007, 08:47
Why no alcohol Slogger? Does it dry the skin out or something?
Thanks.
OFT

Well that ...and the fact that if you DO have a case of chafe going on the alcohol causes added burning and irritation.

'Slogger

moxie
03-13-2007, 17:01

Well that ...and the fact that if you DO have a case of chafe going on the alcohol causes added burning and irritation.

'Slogger
Drink the alcohol, you will never notice the chafe. Also if you see Jester in a skirt with no underware remeber he has beans and franks under that skirt. Of course with his hiking beard jester shoulddn't be confused with a hot babe unless you have drank lots and lots of alcohol.:banana

Gaiter
03-13-2007, 18:08
I'm partial to Gold Bond medicated powder for the crack chaffing, you can get it in the little travel bottles at wallyworld. Use bodyguide for all other chaffing, rubbing and blisters.

mweinstone
03-13-2007, 18:14
butt chaff? how bout not being wet. dont use the fabrics you do. try things that may seem weird. like thick wool undys. or that sock material with metle fibers in it made into undys. i got more ideas if you need them.

a willy the groundskeeper kilt?

peter_pan
03-13-2007, 19:09
Start with a clean butt after a dump.... not so easy to do in the woods... follow with wet wipes if necessary.... then carry butt paste or any diaper ointment and baby powder in the aide kit, use as necessary.

Pan

sloopjonboswell
03-13-2007, 19:26
in the green bottle, its reaalllll ccoooollll.:cool:

Toolshed
03-13-2007, 20:36
You can also find the small 1/2-1 oz bottle of Boudreauxs in the Walgreens travel/sample size section.

Sorrys2Cliche
03-16-2007, 14:10
Prevention:
my buddy calls it a "man-pon" where you roll up a tissue or small piece of cotton fabric and wedge it in between your cheeks on a sweltering day....

cure: make sure your washing your vitals every chance you get to prevent infection from chafing and use a topical cream..clean undies are a good way to go!!

- Ian

whitefoot_hp
03-16-2007, 15:20
The orange/yellow bottle of gold bond is amazing. end of story for me. just sprinkle in hand, and smack it up in yourself. or you can lay down on back, spread legs up in air, and sprinkle away!! lol

Nean
03-16-2007, 15:28

'Slogger

I'll agree. Washings ones ass is always a wonderful idea! More than likely it's your gear that needs to be washed. Keeping your clothes (and pack!!) rinsed out will go a long way in preventing chaff or rash.... anywhere.

Almost There
03-16-2007, 18:22
Bodyglide! I have had problems with thigh chafe, butt chafe, and one time my marble sack even got chafed(ouch!) Since starting to use this, I have not chafed at all...and I do most of my hiking in the summer! I also wear long boxer briefs by patagonia now. BTW going w/o under wear with a kilt, I have still chafed before. It's the sweat, and the salt left behind when it dries that does it.

scottminot
03-16-2007, 19:13
Non padded spandex or lycra shorts are the best thing I've ever used to prevent chafe. I served four years in the Marine Corps infantry and did plenty of "forced" hikes and spandex was the best thing I've ever used for prevention.

Scjohnk
09-06-2017, 21:45
I just got the worst case of chaffing I've ever had. It's not my thighs. It's right behing my scrotum, basicly where my butt cheeks start, and rub together. IT's actually blistered and feels terrible. anyone experience this?

nsherry61
09-06-2017, 21:58
Interesting old thread with a lot of very strong sentiments on solutions.

I've found two things to be key:
1) Cleanliness - wet wipes work pretty well for most people. I find squatting and washing the whole area with soap and water works even better. If toilet paper is used, it tends to leave little bits of paper all over your skin that then need to be cleaned off to avoid contributing to chaffing.
2) Lube - Body Glide works well for many people. By far my favorite is chamois cream used by cyclists to eliminate chaffing on bike seats.

Good luck.

KDogg
09-06-2017, 22:48
Here's my two key things:

1. Under Armour compression underwear to keep things from rubbing.
2. GoldBond powder to keep things dry.

Dan Roper
09-07-2017, 00:59
While backpacking from Amicalola to Neels Gap in August 2007, I contracted the greatest case of Class V, Third Degree Burn chaffing ever endured by mankind. It was in the same tender nether region described by the gent three posts above. It was brutal. The problem was that I had no idea what I was doing on that first AT outing - what to wear and how to we it. I had on briefs that stayed wet throughout those muggy summer days. I even thought ahead to bring Vaseline, thinking that would solve chaffing problems. It didn't.

But I learned and adapted quickly. Since 2007, I've never again had any chaffing, despite hiking all the way to the Grayson Highlands now, almost exclusive during July and August. The solution was simple and two part - wearing skin-hugging, synthetic thigh-length underwear (Haines, which is pretty inexpensive and works). I also use Anti-Monkey Butt powder, especially at the start of trips when those "nether regions" are the most tender and vulnerable.

That's inexpensive - one bottle of Anti-Monkey Butt that I'm still using 9 years later and a pack of inexpensive Haines. Problem solved. No chaffing. Ever.

MuddyWaters
09-07-2017, 06:25
I just got the worst case of chaffing I've ever had. It's not my thighs. It's right behing my scrotum, basicly where my butt cheeks start, and rub together. IT's actually blistered and feels terrible. anyone experience this?
That has a name, its the perineum....
Sometimes referred to as the durf, or a few other terms

Nope, ive never experienced. I wear cheap compression underwear which appparently totally prevents any such thing. Keeps ticks out too.

Overweight people are prone to more severe issues that leaner are not however. Extra skin, rubbing, sweaty crevices for bacteria to grow.

MtDoraDave
09-07-2017, 07:04
Yes, this thread was good for a laugh or three. Ten year old thread, but good stuff.

Keep it clean.
After a movement, clean. A half hour later, clean again if necessary. If you are gassy, clean periodically. Before bed, clean. The "wet ones" seem to do an excellent job, and claim to kill 99.9% of germs.

The anti monkey butt powder is great because it has calamine powder in it.

If you buy Gold Bond, make sure it's not the extra strength or heavy duty or whatever they call it. You'll feel like Gollum with the Elven rope tied around him. (nerd joke) It burns! If you buy generic gold bond, read the ingredients. Gold Bond is .15% menthol. I had a bottle of generic (that did not say extra strength) that was 1% menthol! Seven times as much!

saltysack
09-07-2017, 15:05

It's called your "TAINT"......taint your arse, taint your sack.....says a guy named SS[emoji23]...all the above are good recs that have worked for me also...staying clean and using good compression undies are important...I have two pair of the UA compression boxer briefs that I wear several times per week to the gym and on hikes...well worth the money as the cheap brands waist band isn't nearly as comfortable to me.

LittleTim
09-07-2017, 21:49
Here's my two key things:

1. Under Armour compression underwear to keep things from rubbing.
2. GoldBond powder to keep things dry.

Bingo. B/c of my occupation, I incorporate this habit into my daily routine. Best defense is making sure that you never even start to get it.

TMI warning. If you have a loose movement during the day, reapply the gold bond, otherwise you're good to go with one a.m. application.

OkeefenokeeJoe
09-07-2017, 22:19
This stuff works miracles. Been using it for years.

https://www.antimonkeybutt.com/men/8-original

tawa
09-07-2017, 22:35
Simple solution----rub vasoline into the area that gets chaffed--each morning before you hike.

Scjohnk
09-08-2017, 00:05
Ok, so, I was worried about chaffing in this exact area, as I had chaffed there before, but not nearly as bad. This was also a high mileage day (for me) I wore a pair of regular wicking breifs, with Nike spandex, mid thigh over them, then my normal hiking shorts. It got up to about 90 degrees so I was sweating alot, and I could stand to loose a few pounds. I did use some gold bond, but it did not cut it. I think honestly, the best thing I can do is drop the extra pounds, which I would like to hike off, but it's made more difficult if my (taint) is trying to make friction fire in my drawers.

rocketsocks
09-08-2017, 13:23
Body glide for prevention, and A&D ointment if ya rash.

Speakeasy TN
09-08-2017, 15:50
It's called your "TAINT"......taint your arse, taint your sack.....says a guy named SS[emoji23]...all the above are good recs that have worked for me also...staying clean and using good compression undies are important...I have two pair of the UA compression boxer briefs that I wear several times per week to the gym and on hikes...well worth the money as the cheap brands waist band isn't nearly as comfortable to me.

Still good info, even if it's funny. I think a guy named SaltySack should get the last word! I'm personally devoted to the wipes because those areas get itchy every night after hiking and a wipe down helps with the hiker stink, so there's no downside.

DrL
09-08-2017, 18:06
This topic always reminds of a Del the Funky Homosapien song...

Not yet mentioned, at least not in the recent revival, would be running shorts. Get some breathable, lightweight shorts. They should not cover your knees. Bare your lower thighs. Improve ventilation. Or else you'll be funky.

saltysack
09-08-2017, 23:46
Still good info, even if it's funny. I think a guy named SaltySack should get the last word! I'm personally devoted to the wipes because those areas get itchy every night after hiking and a wipe down helps with the hiker stink, so there's no downside.

Recently tried these for hygiene, really pleased with them and biodegradable...

Wysi Wipe Multi-Purpose Wipes 100 Pack - Just Add Water! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001NWVBPC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_oPerQQyeYVPIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blw2
09-09-2017, 06:39

For those of you unfamiliar with the product, Boudreaux's Butt Paste is a mixture of zinc oxide, castor oil, mineral oil and Peruvian balsam. It was invented by Louisiana pharmacist George Boudreaux in the late '70s - and while it was once sold exclusively in small pharmacies it is now available nationwide at stores including Wal-Mart and Walgreen's.

While Pitt may not be familiar with the "miracle rub," according to Boudreaux, the ointment has been a hit with many celebrities-young and old. Popular athletes including seven time Tour de France champion Lance Armstrong, basketball great Shaquille O'Neal and NFL quarterback Peyton Manning use it to prevent chafing. And, Boudreaux says he recently sent a case of the famous butt paste to Donald Trump's newest son, Barron.

Yep, much experience with it...although not in this context. It was our go to with all three kids in diapers. Put it on dry skin and it's good stuff.

Heliotrope
09-09-2017, 16:18
Haven't tried body glide. But Deez Nutz works like magic. Also consider washing each evening to get dirt and salts off of the jewels. Hydrate well to dilute the salts in your sweat. Wash your underbritches regularly.

Turk6177
09-10-2017, 16:18

Body Glide is what I use every morning when I hike. At night I use an alcohol hand wipe or baby wipe to keep clean down there as well.

George
09-10-2017, 16:33
if it gets going, you ultimately get some infection from the compromised skin - best / quickest cure for that - silver sulfa diazine creme (silvadine)

it is a script med

RangerZ
10-05-2017, 23:10
Yes, this thread was good for a laugh or three. Ten year old thread, but good stuff.

Keep it clean.
After a movement, clean. A half hour later, clean again if necessary. If you are gassy, clean periodically. Before bed, clean. The "wet ones" seem to do an excellent job, and claim to kill 99.9% of germs.

The anti monkey butt powder is great because it has calamine powder in it.

If you buy Gold Bond, make sure it's not the extra strength or heavy duty or whatever they call it. You'll feel like Gollum with the Elven rope tied around him. (nerd joke) It burns! If you buy generic gold bond, read the ingredients. Gold Bond is .15% menthol. I had a bottle of generic (that did not say extra strength) that was 1% menthol! Seven times as much!

The Gold Bond foot powder (green bottle) is 1% menthol. Use it as a body powder and you'll be stepping faster. It's a great way to start the day.

Sarcasm the elf
10-05-2017, 23:37

'Slogger

Whelp, this is an olr thread, but since it's back up, the advice above is on the money.

The last two years I've started carrying a cheap dish sponge and small plastic cup and taking a nightly sponge bath on trail, paying close attention to any place that is prone to chafing. Using enough water is key in this process as there needs to be a sufficent amoubt to disolve and wipe away the salt crystals that are dried on the skin, this is also why wet wipes never worked for me, they aren't nearly wet enough. After the sponge bath, any place with early signs of chafing gets wiped down with a liberal amount of purell. In the morning I repeat the purell step before hitting the trail. These two steps have made a night and day change to my hiking and reduced my on trail chafing issues from terrible to almost non-existent.

rocketsocks
10-06-2017, 00:21

'SloggerI hear this a lot, gotta remove the salt. And I'm not saying you're wrong, you're prolly right! But I'm a curious critter so I need to be sold. What say the scientists around here? Are salt crystals forming and cutting and cafing on some Å not seen by the human eye? Are our underarms super saturated? What's goin' on here?

blw2
10-06-2017, 06:46
I hear this a lot, gotta remove the salt. And I'm not saying you're wrong, you're prolly right! But I'm a curious critter so I need to be sold. What say the scientists around here? Are salt crystals forming and cutting and cafing on some Å not seen by the human eye? Are our underarms super saturated? What's goin' on here?

great question!
only theorizing here.....I'm a mechanical engineer so not scientist that would know a lot about this sort of physiology..... I'll look forward to more knowing folks' answers too!

but something sure does serve to make those areas sticky. sweat is water carrying impurities, right? Water alone isn't going to do that, so it must be the impurities...As I understand it, sorta like pee in that regard....so the salt isn't necessarily sodium chloride, but it's something. Probably some oils in there too that attract dirt. And who knows what that attracts bacteria. The bacteria probably irritate the skin on many levels, even by leaving their own secretions....
By bet is , the "salt" statement is an over simplification. There's probably a lot of stuff going on in that chemistry.
Point sums up well though, to clean it off.....

Heliotrope
10-06-2017, 08:33

Last year in the 100 MW I had to get off trail bc of this. You can get past this. Don't despair!

Salt residue and friction is the bottom line like slogger says.

1. Hydrate to minimize the salt in your sweat
2. Wear clean underwear each day
3. Wash yourself at day's end
4. Use wipes if necessary
5. Use body glide or similar on area preemptively

Turk6177
10-06-2017, 08:49
Body Glide every morning and wear compression shorts under your hiking shorts. I use underarmor our or exofficio. Additionally, at night, I generally wipe the nether regions with a baby wipe at bed time to keep the areas clean. It seems to work for me, although my longest trip so far has only been 22 days.

rocketsocks
10-06-2017, 13:00
great question!
only theorizing here.....I'm a mechanical engineer so not scientist that would know a lot about this sort of physiology..... I'll look forward to more knowing folks' answers too!

but something sure does serve to make those areas sticky. sweat is water carrying impurities, right? Water alone isn't going to do that, so it must be the impurities...As I understand it, sorta like pee in that regard....so the salt isn't necessarily sodium chloride, but it's something. Probably some oils in there too that attract dirt. And who knows what that attracts bacteria. The bacteria probably irritate the skin on many levels, even by leaving their own secretions....
By bet is , the "salt" statement is an over simplification. There's probably a lot of stuff going on in that chemistry.
Point sums up well though, to clean it off.....Agreed, cleanliness is key. I was also thinking the materials we used these days in shirts, I don't recall chafing in days gone by while wearing cotton, but the polyesters of today are virtually indestructible scourering pads, like 3M's scotchbrite. Many of wicking shirts also have what I'll call an aggressive knit with hooves and lands like a heat synque to provide an abundance of surface area exposed which facilitates evaporative cooling...anyhow, these are my thoughts, fun to think about.

AllDownhillFromHere
10-06-2017, 14:13
Has anyone found a correlation between butt chafe and body hair (quantity, type, etc?).

Sovi
10-06-2017, 14:41
I hear this a lot, gotta remove the salt. And I'm not saying you're wrong, you're prolly right! But I'm a curious critter so I need to be sold. What say the scientists around here? Are salt crystals forming and cutting and cafing on some Å not seen by the human eye? Are our underarms super saturated? What's goin' on here?

Ever worn a ball cap and seen the sweat dry on it leaving the white lines? Makes the hat stiff and rough? That is salt residue. Same thing happens to the tops of boots if your socks aren't tall enough. Salt is crystalline, whether in it's original state or dried from being mixed with sweat/water. Very abrasive and the description of sandpaper is spot on. Lubricating the affected area is a good preventive, but keeping the areas clean/dry is also effective. Only need mediated post chafe to encourage healing.

smoovoperator
10-08-2017, 09:27
Go commando, it works great!!