PDA

View Full Version : Mont Bell Pack? Granite Gear Durability?

Revolutionist_Rob
03-12-2007, 01:31
So I have 2 questions here that I cant seem to get answered anywhere. I'm looking to finally replace my 6 and a half pound behemoth kelty pack with a smaller lightweight one. I've been looking at dozens of packs and 2 have seemed to really stand out as to what I need, but they are from companies that I dont know of personally as having outstanding packs.

To be specific, I'm looking at the Mont Bell Versalite 50
https://www2.montbell.com/america/asp/products/Spg_shosai.asp?cat=1301&hinban=1223269
2lbs 8oz, 3051cubes-- It looks durable but I dont know... I'm pretty violent to my gear. Weight and Size wise it looks great, and I know Mont-Bell sleeping bags are top notch... but there packs? Anyone have any experiance with this or know anyone who has?

Secondly I was looking at the Granite Gear Meridian Vapor
http://www.granitegear.com/products/backpacks/ultralight/meridian_vapor/index.html
2lbs 14oz 3200cubes
I have never even seen a Granite Gear pack, but this one has me very interested as it has everything I need without the 'extra' crap that just adds weight.

I guess what I'm asking is are these packs Durable? They are obviously light-- Can anyone weigh in on the suspension systems and comfort of the two packs? I'd be very interested in any insights anyone has.

Or if someone can recommend an alternative pack that is around the same size and weight... I only need maybe 3000cu to 3400cu, most of my stuff is very small/light-- 725fill down bag, hh hammock, etc.

Thanks for reading!

rswanson
03-12-2007, 10:06
Rob,

I have some experience with Granite Gear's Vapor Trail pack and I can tell you that GG's suspension systems are very decent, and durability is good. That said, I can make an additional recommendation. Take a look at ULA Equipment (http://www.ula-equipment.com/), specifically the Conduit and Circuit. I've recently purchased the Conduit and its been the first pack I've ever had that didn't leave me wanting for a single thing. The ULA packs are not only super durable, but also highly functional designs. They're designed with an eye on usability on the trail and really do make carrying gear easier, and not just from a load-bearing capacity. You won't find complaints about ULA's packs anywhere. Last but certainly not least, they're produced by an independant businessman, so you can be sure your money is going back into a local US economy.

JJB
03-12-2007, 10:20
I almost bought a Vapor Trail 'till I tried on the Osprey Atmos 50. I think that the Vapor Trail might be a tad more durable, but in the weight to comfort ratio the Atmos is the best IMHO. It is a daunting task though there is just so much good gear these days. But half the fun is driving the poor salespeople nuts with all of your questions. No? Be well and have fun with the hunt. Peace. J.J.B.

bulldog49
03-12-2007, 16:05
I used an Osprey Atmos for over a year and it has held up very well.

I bought a Vapor Trail a month ago and took it on a weeklong section hike. As I was going down a steep, wet section of trail I lost my balance and brushed the pack against the side of a tree tearing a 3" long gash in it's side.

In my opinion the Atmos is the more durable pack.

mountain squid
03-12-2007, 17:02
without the 'extra' crap that just adds weight
Speaking of which, the 'lid' on the Meridian Vapor might be just that - 'extra' crap that just adds weight. If you plan your gear carefully, you can usually do without a 'lid'. Having said that, Granite Gear packs are VERY popular on the AT. I don't believe I have ever seen a Meridian Vapor, but have seen many of their other 'lidless' ultralight models (probably mostly the Vapor Trail).

rswanson mentioned ULA packs. They are also VERY popular on the AT. Personally, I have a ULA P2 (I don't believe he makes this model anymore) and it has been a great pack for me. 2174 miles later it only has a few 'scratches' on it...

As far as comfort goes, make sure you get a size that fits your torso (http://www.ula-equipment.com/sizing.htm). Also, don't put more weight in it than the manufacturer recommends (ie. don't put 35# into a pack that should only hold 30#:eek:)(it doesn't seem like you will have this problem).

Of course, how long your pack may or may not last depends entirely on how you treat it. I've seen plenty of hikers abuse their packs and then wonder why the shoulder strap is coming off or whatever:confused:. If you want your gear to last take care of it (try and be less 'violent' to it:D).

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Revolutionist_Rob
03-12-2007, 23:10
I try not to be violent! It just happens! But a LID is something that I'd put to good use. Since I'm a guide I get stuck carrying a good deal of 'emergency' gear on any side hikes where I'm not carrying my full pack, first aid kits, food, water purification stuff-- So I'd make heavy use of a lid.

The ULA Packs seems really nice but the lack of a suspension worries me, doesnt that affect how it balances and the load transfer and such?

No ones used or heard anything of the Mont-Bell pack?

stuco
03-12-2007, 23:47
ULA Circuit

mn-backpacker
03-13-2007, 14:31
With regards to quality, the GG packs are top notch. Their "ultralight" packs are quite durable (but not indestructible - like any lightweight gear), and I haven't had any issues with my Latitude Vapor (http://www.granitegear.com/products/backpacks/ultralight/latitude_vapor/index.html). The comfort of the Vapor suspension is fantastic, so long as you do NOT go over 30 pounds with it. The longest hike I've done in mine was about 45 miles over 4 days (16 pound base weight, probably 8 or so pounds of food and water combined on day 1), and I developed no sore spots and I've been very happy with it in every way.

I was cruising around the regular gear sites a few days ago and noticed that Granite Gear had recently released the Meridian Vapor. As I said, I'm quite happy with my pack, but my wife has been less than happy with her Gregory Reality. It's a good pack, but it's overkill for her (too much volume and too much suspension) and it doesn't fit her well. She gets sore red marks on her hips after a few days in it, even with only around 20 pounds total in it. Like you, she loves having a top lid, but she also likes the way my Latitude loads, so she was excited when I showed her the Meridian Vapor Ki, which has the women's belt and shoulder straps, panel loading and top loading, and a of course a top lid (which she insists on having).

I ordered the pack on Saturday from REI (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=48133527&parent_category_rn=4500573&vcat=REI_SEARCH) using the 20% off coupon and my dividend check, and it'll be here tomorrow. If there is anything specific you would like to know (or pictures you want or something) let me know and I can easily check it out since I'll have one in my hands.

big_muddy
03-13-2007, 15:08
You might also try the GG Nimbus Meridian. I just got this pack and, well, I think I'm in love.

rswanson
03-13-2007, 15:37
The ULA Packs seems really nice but the lack of a suspension worries me, doesnt that affect how it balances and the load transfer and such?

No ones used or heard anything of the Mont-Bell pack?
As mentioned, the ULA Circuit has a full suspension. The Conduit, which I have, has no built-in suspension. A sleeve on the packbag holds your sleeping pad (designed for 3/4 length pads), which acts to transfer weight to your hips. I've carried 25 lbs. in it and the pack felt great. I've worn the Circuit for short periods; my observation was that the suspension works quite well. The largest ULA pack (the Catalyst) has a full, traditional suspension as well.

For info on Mont-Bell products, try searching or posting on backpackinglight.com's G Spot forum (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/display_forum.html?forum=18). There are a few Mont-Bell officianados that post there daily...including some that live in Japan, where Mont-Bell is located.

bigboy
03-13-2007, 18:20
I got a Ganite Gear Vapor to try out - hoping to save a couple of pounds. But after several hikes I think the 2 extra pounds in my Osprey Aither 60 are well worth the comfort. The Granite gear is going on Ebay! I do have other Granite gear items that are very durable so no problem with wear and tear.

mweinstone
03-13-2007, 18:24
no damit. you want a black diamond 55 litre shadow pack. silly.

WILLIAM HAYES
03-12-2008, 22:13
You want go wrong with Granite gear I have the Vapor trail and the nimbus meridian both are excellent I have gone through 5-6 packs golite, gregory, equinox katahdin etc and settled on the nimbus latitude - weight is great and never had a problem with durability

RadioFreq
03-13-2008, 12:45
I got a Ganite Gear Vapor to try out - hoping to save a couple of pounds. But after several hikes I think the 2 extra pounds in my Osprey Aither 60 are well worth the comfort. The Granite gear is going on Ebay! I do have other Granite gear items that are very durable so no problem with wear and tear.

Why don't you offer it here first?

Evil Eye
03-15-2008, 08:11
Only gear thing more "personal" in selection and preference are shoes/boots.

Used Osprey Atmos 50 on my thru last year - loved it. Liked that it had a bit of structure, belt pockets and could hang hydration in frame space.

Hiked with many using GG packs. Most loved them but ---
Bad news - seems almost all had issues with seams ripping mid hike.
Good news - customer service from GG was outstanding. Replacements provided, no questions, shipped to next outfitter up the trail.