PDA

View Full Version : Trail angels in the Smokies

Pumpkin guy
03-12-2007, 08:41
Hey all:

I am going with my family down the Smokies first week of April. We will be doing some day hikes with the kids while down there. I was thinking it would be a nice thing to bring in some food to passing throughikers.

a) WIll northbound through hikers be going through the Smokies first week of April?
b) What would be a most appreciated food item to receive while on the trail?

I've never through hiked but would like to someday.

(I'm new here and I think I just posted on the wrong forum. I am re-posting this here in the "General" forum. Sorry...)

:eek:

Gray Blazer
03-12-2007, 09:41
:welcome to WB. Answers a) Yes b) Most anything. I don't know if the park service will let you set up a trail angel cookout in the park. I'm sure you can get creative.

mountain squid
03-12-2007, 09:45
You should encounter plenty of hikers in the Smokies. The best place to hang out would probably be at Newfound Gap. As to what to bring it is up to you. Little Debbie snacks and cold drinks are always good (and easy). What many of the hikers will need at that point, however, is a ride into Gatlinburg. So, if you have the space and can stand some smelly hikers a ride would be most appreciated. Also, if you stay in GBurg, swing by the outfitter (Happy Hiker) in the morning and see if anyone is lingering and needs a ride back to Newfound Gap.

Anyway, have fun and:welcome to WB.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Lone Wolf
03-12-2007, 09:46
bring stuff to feed bears too

Gray Blazer
03-12-2007, 10:22
bring stuff to feed bears too

All you need is some honey to put on your kids fingers and let the bears lick it off.:eek: (Please, don't anybody really do that.)

ShakeyLeggs
03-12-2007, 11:06
All you need is some honey to put on your kids fingers and let the bears lick it off.:eek: (Please, don't anybody really do that.)

First off yess DON"T do this!!!

Back in 01 when I went thru the smokies I had the oportunity to speak to a Park Ranger who was out with a group to trap a problem bear. We were talking about some of the stupid things people do to get a picture of bears. One of the stories he related to me was that a family saw a bear and thought it would be a good idea to pour honey on their childs hand and get a picture of the cute bear licking honey off the childs hand. You can surmise the outcome. Great day went horribly wrong.

TIDE-HSV
03-12-2007, 11:18
Krewzer and Rabbit do a hamburger feed at Fontana every year...

sliderule
03-12-2007, 11:56
Clingmans Dome in midmorning would be a good place, There are two shelters within five miles to the south. And any hkers you encounter from that direction will have just completed a good climb to the highest point on the entire AT.

Also, the Mt. Collins shelter (between Clingmans Dome and Newfound Gap) is an easy walk if you park on the Clingmans Dome road at the Fork Ridge trailhead. (From there, go north to the AT, turn left to the Sugarland Mtn Trail, then right to the shelter.)

alanthealan
03-12-2007, 14:36
I would contact the park first, to know what their regulations are for trail magic. This could prevent a well intended event from becoming a unpleasant one.

The Weasel
03-12-2007, 14:44
Obviously, the Gap is the best place. The one thing that most thrus have a hungrin' for (other than cheeseburgers) is anything sweet. So a trip to Costco and loading up on a couple of boxes of Hostess Twinkies and Cupcakes would be just fine.

Second thing that is most missed is a damn fine cup of coffee. Go to Starbucks and get a couple of their large carriers (like 20 cups) and a bunch of REAL half-and-half and sugar. Don't forget cups. This will get you a lot of conversation time, too.

One thing: Do your best to make sure you REALLY get thrus. I had a spontaneous moment a few years back and just bought a cold six pack of Corona and hike a couple miles up the trail to a shelter one afternoon and asked a couple small groups, "Are you thru hiking." A couple of them said yes when they saw the brewskis, but obviously weren't, and admitted it after a question or two. Finally found one nice lady who obviously was. She went a little nuts when I left the six pack for her by herself. Moral of the story: Make sure they really are the real deal before you do the handouts.

The Weasel

Lone Wolf
03-12-2007, 14:46
Obviously, the Gap is the best place. The one thing that most thrus have a hungrin' for (other than cheeseburgers) is anything sweet. So a trip to Costco and loading up on a couple of boxes of Hostess Twinkies and Cupcakes would be just fine.

Second thing that is most missed is a damn fine cup of coffee. Go to Starbucks and get a couple of their large carriers (like 20 cups) and a bunch of REAL half-and-half and sugar. Don't forget cups. This will get you a lot of conversation time, too.

One thing: Do your best to make sure you REALLY get thrus. I had a spontaneous moment a few years back and just bought a cold six pack of Corona and hike a couple miles up the trail to a shelter one afternoon and asked a couple small groups, "Are you thru hiking." A couple of them said yes when they saw the brewskis, but obviously weren't, and admitted it after a question or two. Finally found one nice lady who obviously was. She went a little nuts when I left the six pack for her by herself. Moral of the story: Make sure they really are the real deal before you do the handouts.

The Weasel

elitism at it's finest. the real deal. give me a friggin break.:rolleyes:

The Weasel
03-12-2007, 14:49
elitism at it's finest. the real deal. give me a friggin break.:rolleyes:

You get a break whenever you need it, Wolf. If I'm going to try to do something for thrus, I'm going to try to do the best I can. Powdered creamer just isn't the best. Wouldn't have it for you, wouldn't have it for anyone else.

The Weasel

max patch
03-12-2007, 14:50

No soup for you!

The Weasel
03-12-2007, 14:52
No soup for you!
Soup is what I usually carry!

The Weasel

Lone Wolf
03-12-2007, 14:59
in weasel's eyes, thru-hikers are better than all other hikers. figures. in the feeds i was involved in nobody got interrogated before being fed. a hiker is a hiker.

The Weasel
03-12-2007, 15:05
Wolf, you don't make any sense, and then you add lies on top.

The first post here made it clear that they want to help "throughhikers". That's how I was responding.

Second, most of the feeds I suspect you have gone to have been at places that weren't loaded - as Newfound Gap will be in April - with section hikers and daytrippers. Without a little effort, this guy isn't going to get his kindness to where he wants it to go.

And lastly, while I don't think thru-hikers are better than other hikers - since I do a lot of short hikes on long trails too - I do think there is a difference between someone who is doing a weekender and someone who is chugging through from NOC to past the Smokies. The weekender is going to get their steak and beer tomorrow night; the thru is looking at noodles for another few days until Mountain Moma's.

Sorry to be right. I know that makes you crazy.

The Weasel

Lone Wolf
03-12-2007, 15:07
you're wrong any you're an elitist jerk.

The Weasel
03-12-2007, 15:12
you're wrong any you're an elitist jerk.

Go whine elsewhere, Wolf. Pumpkin's a nice guy. I'm glad there are people like him; they make the world a nice place. Hope to meet him on the trail one day so I can see he gets some 'magic' too.

Lone Wolf
03-12-2007, 15:27
Go whine elsewhere, Wolf. Pumpkin's a nice guy. I'm glad there are people like him; they make the world a nice place. Hope to meet him on the trail one day so I can see he gets some 'magic' too.

no whinin' here, hoss.:) i've done more trail "magic" by accident than you'll ever do on purpose and i never asked if a person was thru-hiking or not. i don't judge. i treated and fed all equally.

saimyoji
03-12-2007, 15:35
i mistreated and offended all equally.

Good for you. :)

Lone Wolf
03-12-2007, 15:37
Good for you. :)

wow. you changed my wording. good for you.

saimyoji
03-12-2007, 15:47
Small delights for simple minds. Mine that is.

The Weasel
03-12-2007, 16:33
no whinin' here, hoss.:) i've done more trail "magic" by accident than you'll ever do on purpose and i never asked if a person was thru-hiking or not. i don't judge. i treated and fed all equally.

Then why don't you tell Pumpkin how rude he is? Nice guy asks a question, you go to insults. You don't offend equally, Wolf. You're just offensive. Period. He's not. Good for him.

sliderule
03-12-2007, 16:40
Obviously, the Gap is the best place.

The vast majority of thru hikers that one would encounter at Newfound Gap are either on their way to Gatlinburg or just came from there. If you want to encounter hikers in their element, the Gap is obviously not the place. Unless, of course, you want to see hitchhikers!!!

Lone Wolf
03-12-2007, 16:46
Then why don't you tell Pumpkin how rude he is? Nice guy asks a question, you go to insults. You don't offend equally, Wolf. You're just offensive. Period. He's not. Good for him.

i never said a word to or about mr. pumpkin. my words were directed at you and your elitism. i bet he would give a candy bar to a section hiker.

D'Artagnan
03-12-2007, 16:51
Small? Mine is.

SORRY!!! I just couldn't resist. :D:);)

Lone Wolf
03-12-2007, 16:54
a) WIll northbound through hikers be going through the Smokies first week of April?
b) What would be a most appreciated food item to receive while on the trail?

a) yes. quite a few.
b) a candy bar or piece of fruit.

Sly
03-12-2007, 17:02
I don't think the Newfound Gap is the best place either, if only because it's so busy and noisy. I suggest where Clingmans Rd comes closest to the trail.

The Weasel
03-12-2007, 17:09
I don't think the Newfound Gap is the best place either, if only because it's so busy and noisy. I suggest where Clingmans Rd comes closest to the trail.

It's very busy, but for someone who may have limited time to do some 'magic', it is a good compromise.

The Weasel

Jack Tarlin
03-12-2007, 17:19
In case anyone's interested, I first heard the "They actually slathered the kid's hands with honey and pushed him towards a bear......it bit his hand clean off!!" story around 12 years ago, except the version I heard was peanut butter. And I bet the story goes back further than that.

I believe this is a Park Ranger version of a much repeated urban legend, but I will happily buy a drink for anyone who proves me wrong.

I don't expect to have to make good on this debt!

mountain squid
03-12-2007, 17:20
Well, I was going to mention Clingmans Dome in my original post, but the parking lot is about 1/2 mi from the trail and thru-hikers have no need to go there. In order to pass out goodies there, one would have to haul stuff to the trailhead and then wait there. If he is willing to do that, Clingmans Dome would definitely be less busy, just not as convenient...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

SGT Rock
03-12-2007, 17:23
In case anyone's interested, I first heard the "They actually slathered the kid's hands with honey and pushed him towards a bear......it bit his hand clean off!!" story around 12 years ago, except the version I heard was peanut butter. And I bet the story goes back further than that.

I believe this is a Park Ranger version of a much repeated urban legend, but I will happily buy a drink for anyone who proves me wrong.

I don't expect to have to make good on this debt!
I've been thinking of doing this with my wife's dog. If I do it do I win the prize?

SGT Rock
03-12-2007, 17:25
http://www.snopes.com/critters/malice/bearmaul.htm

Jack Tarlin
03-12-2007, 17:35
You wanna slather your hand with peanut butter and then present it to your dog, Rock???

Oh, wait a minute......

I think you have something entirely different in mind.

I suggest you try barbecue sauce.

And being a cat person, I wish you all the best with this most worthy endeavor. :D

The Weasel
03-12-2007, 17:45
I've been thinking of doing this with my wife's dog. If I do it do I win the prize?

Yes. The prize will be a full jar of kim-chi. It is the traditional accompaniment.

Welcome home, you faker.

The Weasel

jesse
03-12-2007, 17:52
but I will happily buy a drink for anyone who proves me wrong.

Its true alright! Bill Bryson documents it in his book!

Fly By Mike
03-12-2007, 18:17
[quote=The You're just offensive. Period. quote]

Wolf doesn't seem offensive to me. He just says what he thinks in very few words with no bs. I like that.

moxie
03-13-2007, 08:52
Several years ago my wife and I were doing a little hiking in Alaska. On the ferry between Angoon and Sitka we met a young Indian woman who had been bitten on the hand while feeding a black bear at the local dump. She was a native and knew better but thought the bear was friendly. She still had all her fingers but her hand was had nasty compression wounds where the bear had tried to clamp down on her hand. She had a rabies shot at Angoon and was on her way to Sitca so a doctor could look at it. I agree with Jack about the kid losing his hand in the Smokies. That legend has been around for years and the rangers and everyone else have either come to believe it or use it to scare people. Bears do not bite things cleanly off. If a bear had a small kid by the hand it would shake him like a hunting dog does with a wounded quail. Once he stopped moving the bear would then chew on him.

moxie
03-13-2007, 09:05
On trail magic in the Smokies. Alot of hikers don't go in to Gatlenburg because it is expensive, a trap, and many who go there don't get back on the trail for several days. I stopped at Newfound Gap for about half an hour to let the idiots in cars ask me dumb questions and have their picture taken with a thru hiker. There was a big mob that day. I then went on up the trail to the next shelter. No one at that shelter had gone into either Gatlenburg or Charokee so we all had been on Lipton, Mac and Cheese or Ramen for 4 or 5 days. A day hiker stopped at the shelter and stood in front eating a beautiful red jucy apple and talking to us. She will never know how close she came to getting killed for that apple. In answer to the origional question, cold soda, a bag of apples, or even a candy bar is a wonderful trail magic for a tired hiker, either in the Smokies or anywhere along the trail where the hikers are "between " town stops.

Lone Wolf
03-13-2007, 09:30
On trail magic in the Smokies. Alot of hikers don't go in to Gatlenburg because it is expensive, a trap, and many who go there don't get back on the trail for several days.

how would you know it's expensive, a trap if you didn't go in there? lodging is cheap this time of year.

neighbor dave
03-13-2007, 09:46
:-? gatlinburg was a gas! i'd highly recommend a stop there. place is ennertainin' fer sher! only stayed one night. check out da brew house fer some barley sodas!!!:-?

Lone Wolf
03-13-2007, 09:48
:-? gatlinburg was a gas! i'd highly recommend a stop there. place is ennertainin' fer sher! only stayed one night. check out da brew house fer some barley sodas!!!:-?

and all-you-can-chew at Shoney's for bfast.

neighbor dave
03-13-2007, 09:50
:-? UH HUH!!!!:D

The Weasel
03-13-2007, 09:50
how would you know it's expensive, a trap if you didn't go in there? lodging is cheap this time of year.

Last time I overnighted in G'burg was 2 years ago, and while I was trying to keep the cost down, I was almost $75 lighter when I left, and time down from the Gap to time back was almost 36 hours. Not all of us have as much money as you, or as you might think, Wolf.

The Weasel

neighbor dave
03-13-2007, 09:52
Last time I overnighted in G'burg was 2 years ago, and while I was trying to keep the cost down, I was almost $75 lighter when I left, and time down from the Gap to time back was almost 36 hours. Not all of us have as much money as you, or as you might think, Wolf.

The Weasel
:-? i fer one never took a vow of poverty when i set foot on da trail!! if ya got it, spend it!! caint take it wif ya!!!:D

Lone Wolf
03-13-2007, 09:55
:-? i fer one never took a vow of poverty when i set foot on da trail!! if ya got it, spend it!! caint take it wif ya!!!:D

weasel has it, he just acts broke. although he's on here 12 hours a day or more so little work gets done

Sly
03-13-2007, 09:55
I like Gatlinburg too. You can split a room, so it's as cheap as most hostels. Hikers will appreciate the street trolley.

Ewker
03-13-2007, 10:03

The Weasel

last time I was there (Oct 06) two of us stayed at the Grand Prix for half of your cost. Plus it was Friday night and fish night at Shoneys :D
What you have to do in G'burg is to jus sit and watch the people walking the streets :eek:

Lone Wolf
03-13-2007, 10:05
last time I was there (Oct 06) two of us stayed at the Grand Prix for half of your cost. Plus it was Friday night and fish night at Shoneys :D
What you have to do in G'burg is to jus sit and watch the people walking the streets :eek:

looks like ol' weasel has an affinity for chow. cost big bucks to eat a lot

Senor Quack
03-13-2007, 12:48
looks like ol' weasel has an affinity for chow. cost big bucks to eat a lot

OK, long-time lurker for years and years .. (starting thru next week in GA). I wasn't going to say anything yesterday on page 2 of this thread but now I will. L Wolf, you sound like a 15 year old at best. Shut up.

The Weasel
03-13-2007, 12:50
weasel has it, he just acts broke. although he's on here 12 hours a day or more so little work gets done

From your lips to God's ears, Wolf. Wish you were right about this one, too. Pity you're just blowing smoke.

The Weasel

RobKimball
03-13-2007, 12:51
We ought to sell tickets to some of these threads. I was watching my pup chase a squirrel around his pen while I took my lunch break, but this is far more entertaining!

The Weasel
03-13-2007, 12:53

Well, it was about 40 for a (single) room (didn't meet anyone to share), had dinner (10), couple beers later (5), breakfast and lunch next day (another 10), some misc things, (about 10). You were more efficient than me.

The Weasel

Lone Wolf
03-13-2007, 13:13
OK, long-time lurker for years and years .. (starting thru next week in GA). I wasn't going to say anything yesterday on page 2 of this thread but now I will. L Wolf, you sound like a 15 year old at best. Shut up.

feel free to put me on your IGNORE list there scooter.

Ewker
03-13-2007, 13:53
Well, it was about 40 for a (single) room (didn't meet anyone to share), had dinner (10), couple beers later (5), breakfast and lunch next day (another 10), some misc things, (about 10). You were more efficient than me.

The Weasel

laying off the beers does help money wise, we hit the pancake place right down the street from the motel..they had a 5.00 special that Sat morning that was ok not great but it beat what I had in my pack for breakfast

neighbor dave
03-13-2007, 14:03
:-? what about me??? what do i sound like?? i'm his little brotha!!:jump :bse

Lone Wolf
03-13-2007, 14:06

and Sil Nye is weasel's little brotha. damn! did it again! that 15 year old in me.:D

Gray Blazer
03-13-2007, 14:06

If you use the shift key you can capitalize words like the ones at the beginning of your sentences. :D Don't tell Matty.

neighbor dave
03-13-2007, 14:12
If you use the shift key you can capitalize words like the ones at the beginning of your sentences. :D Don't tell Matty.
:-? but i'm not a capitalist!! :-?

Gray Blazer
03-13-2007, 14:14
:-? but i'm not a capitalist!! :-?LOL Thanks, I needed that.:sun

moxie
03-13-2007, 16:54
I didn't say I didn't go because it is expensive, I said alot of hikers don't go because it is expensive. Hell I stay at motels ams sleep in clean sheets every chance I get but alot of hikers don't have alot of money. I have been to Gatlenburg and it can be costly to someone on a tight budget as can any trail town. I didn't go in the year I talked about. I was trying to make time as I was supposed to meet some family members north of The Smokies. I had lost one day when I got caught three miles north of a shelter by a violent hail and lightning storm and backtracked to the last shelter because on the no tenting in the park rule. I was one day behind schedule so Gatlenberg was out of the question that year. I remember you when you were living and hiking on a "snowmakers salary" so I imagine you must know what hiking on a limited income is. The trap is you have so much fun someplace you just don't want to leave. The beer store next to the laundromat at Hot Springs can trap some hikers for several days when they get caught just drinking, and socalizing with fellow hikers. Any place that is fun can become a trap. Heck, I ate at The homeplace three nights in a row so I guess that was a trap for me but the food kept me coming back.

Lone Wolf
03-13-2007, 16:56
I didn't say I didn't go because it is expensive, I said alot of hikers don't go because it is expensive. Hell I stay at motels ams sleep in clean sheets every chance I get but alot of hikers don't have alot of money. I have been to Gatlenburg and it can be costly to someone on a tight budget as can any trail town. I didn't go in the year I talked about. I was trying to make time as I was supposed to meet some family members north of The Smokies. I had lost one day when I got caught three miles north of a shelter by a violent hail and lightning storm and backtracked to the last shelter because on the no tenting in the park rule. I was one day behind schedule so Gatlenberg was out of the question that year. I remember you when you were living and hiking on a "snowmakers salary" so I imagine you must know what hiking on a limited income is. The trap is you have so much fun someplace you just don't want to leave. The beer store next to the laundromat at Hot Springs can trap some hikers for several days when they get caught just drinking, and socalizing with fellow hikers. Any place that is fun can become a trap. Heck, I ate at The homeplace three nights in a row so I guess that was a trap for me but the food kept me coming back.

ok. gotcha man:)

mrc237
03-14-2007, 06:48

Was that a BUFFET?

Lone Wolf
03-14-2007, 06:50
Was that a BUFFET?

yup. Big Ugly Fat Fu**s Eating Together :)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-14-2007, 07:04
::: bites LW on his 15 yo toes :::

I live fairly near Gatlinburg and avoid it like poison ivy. It isn't a place I'd want to go while hiking, but I understand many need to go there to resupply and get a hot shower.

mrc237
03-14-2007, 07:09
That reminds me I ain't drinkin' with no minors!!

MOWGLI
03-14-2007, 07:11
yup. Big Ugly Fat Fu**s Eating Together :)

That's pretty funny right there. I went to a Golden Corral here in Tennessee exactly once. :eek: Never again! NEVER!!!

Marta
03-14-2007, 07:24
Back to the main subject of this thread... An easy food to offer hikers is small bags of chips. Lots of hikers have plenty of sweets with them, but crave salty things. They're also light, if you're planning to pack them down the Trail a bit.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Gray Blazer
03-14-2007, 07:50
That's pretty funny right there. I went to a Golden Corral here in Tennessee exactly once. :eek: Never again! NEVER!!!

I don't know about Gatlinburg, but there are some big people grazing at Ryan's in Davenport. BTW, since you're gonna be in the Smokies, try the top of Snowbird (where the tower is) for a trail magic cookout. You can drive to the top and it's pretty remote. It's a great place to set up your chairs and look at the Smokies close up. The hiker's will have left Standing Bear or Davenport Gap that morning.

Pumpkin guy
03-14-2007, 07:59
O.K. Thanks everybody. Didn't mean to start any fights in here. Just wanted to know what kind of stuff hungry throughhikers crave on the trail. We will be dayhiking with the kids in various area of the park and will carry in snacks for throughhikers we meet.
So far I have votes for sweets....candy bars, Little Debbies, Twinkies, cupcakes. Salts: bags of chips. Fruit...apples. And cold pop or hot coffee.
This will be our first time down in the Smokies so it is helpful to know where to go as well. Clingmans Dome area seems to be a good spot by general consensus, also the Mt. Collins shelter, and Newfound Gap might work as well despite the crowds.
We'll pass on attracting the bears with honey, though my 9 year old son would love to attract & catch a poisonous snake. (We have to keep a close eye on that kid!)

SGT Rock
03-14-2007, 09:08
I normally avoid G-Burg like the Bermuda triangle, but I have shuttled some hikers down there on occasion. It helps though to live in the area, so when I get the urge I just call home and get my own personal trail angel to get me to chow and a hot bed + shower.

Gray Blazer
03-14-2007, 09:36
so when I get the urge I just call home and get my own personal trail angel to get me to chow and a hot bed + shower.

At least you know which side your bread is buttered.:sun

Gray Blazer
03-14-2007, 13:17
I don't know about Gatlinburg, but there are some big people grazing at Ryan's in Davenport.

Whoops, that should read Newport.

Ewker
03-14-2007, 13:28
I was wondering where a Ryans was located in Davenport...lol

Gray Blazer
03-14-2007, 19:07
Newport is my favorite trail town. After losing 20 lbs hiking, I can go to Ryan's and refill. There are some big people there.:-?