PDA

View Full Version : Iron Mt Trail

Jim Lemire
03-12-2007, 14:24
Anyone hiked the Iron Mountain Trail? I get the impression that it is not generally hiked in one trip, not well marked, and there are road walk connections. It seems to be about 36 miles long.
I have a good map so I thought I would give it a shot in April from west to east. Anything on it from someone with experience could be helpful.

Jim

LeeF
03-12-2007, 14:27
Lone Wolf or Mount Rogers Outfitters could probably give you a good description. Last October when I was in MRO someone came in who had taken a shuttle out and then hiked back to Damascus.

Lone Wolf
03-12-2007, 14:29
Anyone hiked the Iron Mountain Trail? I get the impression that it is not generally hiked in one trip, not well marked, and there are road walk connections. It seems to be about 36 miles long.
I have a good map so I thought I would give it a shot in April from west to east. Anything on it from someone with experience could be helpful.

Jim

it is well marked, there are 3 shelters along it, no big climbs. nice trail. if want a shuttle so you can hike into damascus, let me know.

CaseyB
03-15-2007, 08:28
The road sections (2) are fairly short and are on forest service gravel roads.

Johnny Swank
03-15-2007, 09:18
We hiked it a few years ago. Cool trail, except for dealing a few swampy sections filled with horse****. I'll hike it again sometime.

The Solemates
03-15-2007, 11:09
we've hiked part of it while doing loops in and around the area. much like the AT, but less used which was nice. nice trail.

Jim Lemire
03-15-2007, 11:27
Thank you all for your comments on the Iron Mt Trail.

Jim

TinaMae
03-23-2007, 16:11
Jim, I am incredibly interested to know where you got a good map of the Iron Mtn Trail. I have not had much success in my endeavors, and I am interested in hiking the trail in May. Can you point me in the right direction?

Also, L. Wolf - That is another thing I was looking into, taking a shuttle north, and hiking south into Demascus, can you provide me with your info?

[email protected]
Thanks for your help folks!

CaseyB
03-25-2007, 22:15
National Geographic Trails Illustrated Map #786, Mt. Rogers National Recreation Area

Groucho
03-26-2007, 11:52
Jim, I am incredibly interested to know where you got a good map of the Iron Mtn Trail. I have not had much success in my endeavors, and I am interested in hiking the trail in May. Can you point me in the right direction?

Also, L. Wolf - That is another thing I was looking into, taking a shuttle north, and hiking south into Demascus, can you provide me with your info?

[email protected]
Thanks for your help folks!

Are you looking for information for the whole IMT, or just the portion between Chestnut Flats (intersection with AT N of Dam) and Damascus? The guidebook for SW VA has a description of this section of the IMT and the maps show the location of shelters, and many other trails for circuit hikes.

Cookerhiker
03-26-2007, 22:58
I hiked it in late October (amidst a surprising early season snow) and enjoyed it. I thought it was well-marked. I started in Damascus and hitched back.

Skyline
03-26-2007, 23:53
The Iron Mt. Trail makes a great circuit in combo with the AT: Damascus NOBO to Chestnut Flats (about 43 mi.), then take the IMT about 20 mi. back into Damascus.

Just for variety, whenever I do the IMT I leave the IMT just beyond Sandy Flats Shelter in favor of the Feathercamp Branch Trail which descends to the AT and then US58. From there I descend US58 briefly to the trailhead parking lot for the Virginia Creeper Trail, which I take into Damascus.