PDA

View Full Version : How soon is too soon...

DLANOIE
03-12-2007, 21:58
My wife and I just had a little boy come in to this world on March 4th:banana
My question is how long should I wait before taking my son hiking with me?
Thank you

Alligator
03-12-2007, 22:26
Congratulations. Personally, I'd wait for his neck to stiffen up so his head isn't bobbing around so much. Then keeping him dry is a big concern. That could be difficult in a front carrier. You might be able to use an overly large umbrella. The bonus to a front carrier is both parents can carry backpacks. The backpack carriers have rain shields, but the capacities are not as high as regular packs. You'll need to carry a few extra things:) . I also wouldn't plan on anything far, you could need to bail quickly.

Sly
03-13-2007, 00:28
You can start him off car camping now!

MrHappy
03-13-2007, 01:19
It's physically possible at any age. Think of indigenous nomadic tribes.

Pennsylvania Rose
03-13-2007, 08:59
My older son went on his first backpacking trip at 6 weeks. My daughter was born in November, so she had to wait until she was 6 months old. They're 15 and 14 now and both love backpacking so much that they plan us a trip every school break and want to thruhike. For various reasons, my youngest didn't go on his first trip until this year at the ripe old age of 4 (although he'd been on plenty of day hikes). He asked the other day when we were going again.

Like everything else in your life now, your outdoor excursions need to revolve around the baby. We kept our days short, with plenty of time for breaks. The key is keeping the baby warm, dry, and protected from too much sun. Sometimes you just have to give up your well laid plans and head back to the car. Several times we car camped and day hiked when the weather turned too bad or baby was too cranky. We also took a lot of trips where you hike back a mile or so, and spent the rest of the day and the next playing in the creek, looking for bugs and flowers, and building great campfires, especially when the kids were both preschoolers.

I actually think that hiking with a baby is easier than when they reach the preschool years. A baby just goes along with whatever you decide. Preschoolers are too heavy to carry much; they want to walk when you're in a hurry; want to ride when you're exhausted; stop to look at every tree, rock, and bug; fall in water all too often; dart off in unexpected directions; and sometimes just sit down and refuse to move. Watching the joy they have in discovering the world is worth the infinite amount of patience you need, though.

Two great books are Backpacking with Babies and Small Children by Goldie Silverman, and Kids in the Wild by Cindy Ross and Todd Gladfelter. Test out their ideas and modify them to fit your own needs.

maxNcathy
03-13-2007, 09:20
He hiked with your wife for 9 months now it is your turn to carry him around...from a wet frontpack to a dry backpack.
Congratulations to You three.
Sandalwood

jesse
03-13-2007, 11:08
It's physically possible at any age. Think of indigenous nomadic tribes.

Right, and the mortality rate was ______ for newborns and infants!!!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-13-2007, 11:33
First, congrats to you on yur newest addition to the family. In a front pack that supports the child's neck and back and inside your jacket so your body heat is keeping him warm - he can day hike now. However, the problem arises when he needs a diaper change - it is nearly impossible to do this without chilling a tiny infant on a cold or breezy day. For that reason, I recommend you wait until the temps are about 65F+ without wind or higher if it is breezy. Keeping tiny babies warm and dry is imparative.

For backpacking / overnighting with an infant, it gets trickier. You have to be able to assure the little guy will not get cold even if he gets his sleeping clothing wet (and they do this pretty regularly). That's not as easy as it sounds with the cooler night time temps. You also have to assure that crawling / walking infants can't wander off as you sleep. Keeping all the baby equipment (pacifier, water bottles, whatever you use as a changing pad, etc.) clean is another trial. You also have to consider how you are going to feed him if your wife is not breast feeding.

bigben
03-13-2007, 12:30
My 16 month old daughter has been riding in the baby backpack(Kelty Ridgeline) since she was 6 months old. Now, she's good for about 2 hours before the fussing starts, which consequently, is about the same time the 5 year old who hikes along with me starts whining. If you get a baby backpack, get the best one you can afford and forget about how much it weighs. Allie weighs 33 lbs, the pack weighs 7+ and after you add all some water and all the "baby pharaphenalia" you'll need, you're close to 50 lbs. Trust me, you'll regret the $50 you saved by not going top-of-the-line.

rswanson
03-13-2007, 16:47
Probably well over 50 percent.

mweinstone
03-13-2007, 17:49
since my birthday is also march 4th and i am an avid hiker, now is when you should go hiking.

vipahman
03-13-2007, 20:02
I carried my son when he was approx 2 years up to Mt Washington. Under his own steam on a simpler day trip, I'd say you wait till 4 years old. I also drove cross country and car camped with 2 kids, 4.5 year old boy and 1.5 year old girl), It was a pleasure.

I also did numerous day trips with them when they were much younger. Unless they have any special medical condition, I believe you are only limited by when the kid can hold up her head reasonably.

Now that I've got a thrid kid :eek:, I'm back to solo hiking.

hopefulhiker
03-13-2007, 20:03
I carried my son on my back up Mt Mitchell when he was a few years old...

Brrrb Oregon
03-13-2007, 22:52

Absolutely. High mortality rates in infants are generally from complications from communicable diseases, though. Don't get too far from civilization and make absolutely sure that you're ready for any weather event that you might possibly encounter. When babies get really sick, you don't want to wait to have them seen.

.....and don't forget, exercise allergy is far more likely to shorten life than hiking at too early an age. Engendering a love of the outdoors is a very healthy addition to a child's life!

Brrrb Oregon
03-13-2007, 22:53
Oh, and consider that babies should not sleep with you in a sleeping bag. They could smother. It would probably be a good idea to wait on the overnighters.

Lone Wolf
03-13-2007, 22:56
My wife and I just had a little boy come in to this world on March 4th:banana
Thank you

wait till he's a toddler and can walk on his own. why risk tripping, falling and crushing the little guy just cuz mommy and daddy want to hike?

rafe
03-13-2007, 23:00
wait till he's a toddler and can walk on his own. why risk tripping, falling and crushing the little guy just cuz mommy and daddy want to hike?

In particular, it might be a good idea to not ford the Kennebec with junior in a front-pack or back-pack. :D

Lone Wolf
03-13-2007, 23:01
In particular, it might be a good idea to not ford the Kennebec with junior in a front-pack or back-pack. :D

actually i agree.

Brrrb Oregon
03-14-2007, 12:24

You ain't doin' much in the way of hiking with a toddler. They have to stop and pick up every bug and rock...which is as it should be. They are also in a lot more danger down on foot. They run off in random directions with no prior notice, they have no fear of anything, there is nothing they won't stick their hands in or shove in their mouths. In fact, until kids get to the age where they start repeating every word out of your mouth to friends, family, and total strangers, early childhood is a non-stop suicide watch. At least when they're very little, they can't get away. Anyway, if you don't carry them, a toddler is not likely to get farther than a mile from a car, and will usually not make it anything like that far.

If you can be content to take trails that don't include fording rivers or shoving the baby in a mummy sack with you, though, babies small enough to be carried do enjoy it. It is as safe as anything else they do. It is also rejuvenating for the primary caretakers, which means you are much more pleasant and peaceful to be around.

The likelihood that you will crush your baby by falling on a more or less gentle trail is not any higher than that you will have a mishap at home. I was carrying one of my twins down stairs at home once and tripped and ripped a toenail off on the carpet while still up on the fifth step from the bottom. I sort of bounced on my knees several times, because I could not catch myself with my free hand for fear of dropping him or falling on him in the process. It is not like a sack of groceries....you do not forget who you have in your arms when you fall. I would not hesitate to go anywhere with a baby in a sling. With a front sling and someone around to help you manage, you could probably have a pack on the back, too. We had a great "baby-bag" backpack that had a foam fold-out for a changing surface that went up against your back when you wore it. It was the only changing bag I used, and I had twins. My only caution is to try your set-up at short distances first, to make certain the weight distribution is something your back will tolerate.

My advice is to get out while you can, because when they get too big to carry, you are going to slow down....a lot. That is OK. Have that expectation. Seeing a fraction of the trail, but seeing it more thoroughly, has a very good effect on a hiker. Also, before they reach the age of nine months, GET THEM A REGULAR SITTER. We didn't do this, and regretted it, because a kid who has only had parent-care up until 18 months is not likely to accept anyone else without profound protest. Your children are going to be much happier if Mom and Dad get out to hit the trail without them once in awhile. When they grow up and have your grandchildren, you will be telling them the same.

My husband was doing four mile hikes to an overnight camp at the age of four....a bit too much, says his mother in retrospect. He still loves hiking. Don't get too far from the fort, but go ahead and get out there.

DLANOIE
03-23-2007, 23:21
But alas, I know it is still a little early. Once he has some neck strength then I will plan a short, nice and easy hike with him. Also I think it is still a little cool to be walking through the woods with him. Definatley this summer he will be out with his papa:D I have a sling and a snugli. Thanks to all for your advice and knowledge!

P.S. Im sure Steve would have no problems giving us a ride across the Kenny!
Happy hiking:sun

Dances with Mice
03-23-2007, 23:43
You ain't doin' much in the way of hiking with a toddler. They have to stop and pick up every bug and rock...which is as it should be. They are also in a lot more danger down on foot. They run off in random directions with no prior notice, they have no fear of anything, there is nothing they won't stick their hands in or shove in their mouths. This phase may continue until they're about 25.