PDA

View Full Version : Montbell Alpine Light vs Golite Cumulus

vaporjourney
03-12-2007, 22:14
Has anyone tried either or both of these out? No outfitters around me stock these brands, so it'd be nice for an opinion before ordering them. The GoLite is 3 oz heavier, but also has nearly 2 extra inches of loft. Thats got to be quite a bit of added warmth for a relative minimal addition in weight. The Montbell is a good bit cheaper, but still a nice 2"+ of loft. Is the Montbell very warm? I'm leaning toward the Montbell because I feel it would be able to layer underneath my Golite Virga rainshell, which is cut a little tight. I guess I could wear the rain gear underneath if Need be, but it makes sense to me to put a windproof layer on the outside to retain all warmth of the down.

Also...would these jackets be lightyears ahead of the Montbell Thermawrap jacket in terms of warmth? I'm currently using the Thermawrap for 4 seasons use, and its definitely pushing my comfort level. I'm a naturally cold person, and it really gets to me while trying to sleep. I've worn about 4 torso layers, and was still cold. I'm assuming that even the Alpine Light would add at least 5 deg of warmth to my current setup, at a minimum of weight.