PDA

View Full Version : Who would be the hiker you

Desert Lobster
03-13-2007, 10:02
would bet on to reach Katahdin first from Springer if everybody started at once. Who is that strong, swift, never-give-up person?

Lone Wolf
03-13-2007, 10:07
would bet on to reach Katahdin first from Springer if everybody started at once. Who is that strong, swift, never-give-up person?

a woman. men whine and snivel too much and make excuses when they quit. women are tougher.

Sly
03-13-2007, 10:09
Yup, I think pound for pound women are better hikers.

neighbor dave
03-13-2007, 10:10
:-? what those guys said! chicks are tough!:-?

Footslogger
03-13-2007, 10:12

====================================

Take away the "first" part and I'd put money on ME !!

'Slogger

max patch
03-13-2007, 10:40
I'd put my money on Ward Leonard.

But the "toughest" would have to be Bob Barker.

DawnTreader
03-13-2007, 11:00
Chuck Norris would be the first to summit the BIG K.. no doubt in my mind..

Jan LiteShoe
03-13-2007, 15:45
a woman. men whine and snivel too much and make excuses when they quit. women are tougher.

Oh, we whine and snivel with the best of them...
:)

Doesn't have to stop the footfalls though.

When done in good humor, a fine whine often passes for conversation on the trail.... reaffirms the "group experience" in company. A running narrative to which all can relate.
:)

And Captain Kirk would be the first on Katahdin. No contest. Speed 'o light. ("beam me up, Scotty..")

mweinstone
03-13-2007, 15:52
speed racer. unless spritle and chim chim are in the trunk. otherwise spiderman. but superman if i must vote a white blazer. if superman was chaseing me, hed catch me.

rhjanes
03-13-2007, 16:03

Yep, and Chuck wouldn't even take a step. He'd stare from Springer to Katahdin, Katahdin would up and MOVE to where Chuck was.... :D

warraghiyagey
03-13-2007, 16:11

Only maybe because chuck is still alive. If we could pick from anyone in history I'd put my money on. . . . Ghandi.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-13-2007, 16:16
Not a member here, but I'd bet on a kid that thru'ed last year named Coconut Monkey. He was a young, spirited cross-country runner.

moxie
03-13-2007, 16:33
Who gives a damn. I respect speed hikers and trail joggers but one of the joys of thru hiking is smelling the flowers, stopping to admire the views and enjoying the company of your fellow hikers. My longest day was 22 miles, my average wea 12.2 miles per day and if I do it again I will plan to go much slower and try to take over six months and savor every mile. Some speed hikers I met had tough schedules, school, visa to US running out, etc and had no choice. Horton went fast to set a record and I met him in Maine once. Im sure these folks enjoyed their speed hiking and bragging abiut their miles but I'd rather enjoy the actual trail. If everyone left Springer at the same time as Lobster discussed there wouldn't be enough shelter and tent space in all of Georgia to handle them.:bse

DawnTreader
03-13-2007, 17:19
Only maybe because chuck is still alive. If we could pick from anyone in history I'd put my money on. . . . Ghandi.
What if Ghandi were racing Neil Diamond???

warraghiyagey
03-13-2007, 20:25
What if Ghandi were racing Neil Diamond???

Hmmmm. I go with Ghandi still and hares why. It's obviously a race between no hair and THE hair. And as the famous fable shows us - the hare loses.
Bet on the Mahatma:) :) :)

maxNcathy
03-13-2007, 22:31
Bill Bryson would win if he really wanted to and didn't have to wait for his friend.Jack Tarlin would come second followed by Warren Doyle and in last place would be Squeaky.
jk

Programbo
03-13-2007, 22:33
I wouldn`t pick a "hiker" as they would be stopping to enjoy the views and cherish the history and tradition of the trail..I`d have to find some Ultra-Marathoner/Extreme Sports type of guy to bet on

mrc237
03-13-2007, 22:37
Chuck Norris would be slowed down from carrying all of his hair products.

Big Dawg
03-14-2007, 08:58
Andrew Skurka

Desert Lobster
03-14-2007, 11:03
Moxie,

How could i have guessed that somebody would feel the need to post concerning "smelling the roses". If you want to go slow, fine, but that wasn't what I was asking.

Have a great day!

jrwiesz
03-16-2007, 05:10
Ray Jardine

virtualfrog
03-16-2007, 05:44
Without a doubt, it would be a woman. Whatever woman is willing to hike w/ me...I prefer to stay behind to enjoy the...ahem...scenery.

Sly
03-16-2007, 05:47
Without a doubt, it would be a woman. Whatever woman is willing to hike w/ me...I prefer to stay behind to enjoy the...ahem...scenery.

That could lead to kids and marriage. It did for a couple friends of mine. ;)

Marta
03-16-2007, 06:33
That could lead to kids and marriage. It did for a couple friends of mine. ;)

Someone has to lure you guys into providing the world with the next generation of hikers! It's our job. :D

kyhipo
03-16-2007, 06:53
well like LW said most women are better hikers,and well given the fact they really dont whine as much or atleast hide it better,I dont know who would make it first its a mystery to me.I guess whoever has more will power to take less o days blah.blah blah Ky

saimyoji
03-16-2007, 07:32
That could lead to kids and marriage.

In that order?

mweinstone
03-16-2007, 07:41
in the future , rich men keep stables of thruhikers and pit them against each other in races for sport. the loosers are fed to the converter.in those days, my money will be on superman, bleach, doo rag, ramble, treegirl, and messenger and braveheart. but when it all goes mad, my big moneys on bleach and bonepac. of course squeeky will have his own dressing room in the colloseums.

mweinstone
03-16-2007, 07:43
also in those days minnesota smith will be like kinda a jabba the hut.