PDA

View Full Version : Gaiters -- yes or no?

Bunchberry
08-14-2003, 22:17
Do you wear gaiters when you hike? Why or why not?

I've never used them, and after a weekend trip earlier this month where I waded through wet rhododendrons for three days and got my boots absolutely soaked, I thought it might be worth giving them a try. How much do they help to keep your boots and feet dry?

MedicineMan
08-14-2003, 22:22
I never leave home without them...this last week we did VA42--->Pearisburg and had several morning field walks which soaked my partners socks/boots/feet while I stayed dry....and also clean...go for the lightest you can/goretex maybe breaths if you area believer in it, you dont need the heaviest but for the AT get then high enough to do some good...I used ankle high stretchy ones only in the Grand Canyon...they also add enough warmth for me to use in winter hiking....OR is a good company for gaiters but are pricey, but if you dont loose them they will last many many years.

icemanat95
08-14-2003, 23:10
I wear short gaiters on warm weather hikes and tall gaitors on cold weather hikes and supergaiters for winter hikes.

Hows that?

asmtroop3
08-15-2003, 06:57
Same as the iceman,

Nothing worse than finishing a hike with socks covered in crap and a boot full of pebbles:-?

highway
08-15-2003, 07:15
Your feet will get wet either with or without them I'd imagine.

And the few times that a pebble does get into my shoe (low-cut tennis/hiking shoes) I just take a short break and slip it off and empty in out. Personally, I dont think gaiters are worth their weight!

And, they look funny:-?

Youngblood
08-15-2003, 07:21
I only wear gaiters if I think I will need them, brushed over trail or maybe snow. Otherwise I prefer not to wear/take them. For one thing, they add some weight to your legs which you have to LIFT with each step. To me, this is like hiking with heavier shoes. Second thing is they dramatically decrease the amount of moisture that your socks can disperse from your feet, which for me, means blisters unless I slow way down and/or take more rest stops and air out my socks on occasions. Usually I just carry nylon pants with zip-off legs for camp, wind, insects and for brushed over trail... but if I know/strongly suspect that there will be brushed over trail with sticker bushes I will wear gaiters. For the most part, in the conditions that I hike in, I find them unnecessary and even undesirable. I wear low cut trail running shoes and I do sometimes have to take them off to remove stuff that finds its way into my shoes and bothers my feet, however, this is not that often and is not that difficult to deal with.

gravityman
08-15-2003, 10:34
I wear the OR ones that are short and streachy. I really like the fact that they keep the light snow out when that is a factor (up until mid april on the AT) and the peddles and other crap out. Keeps the socks cleaner too. They breath as if they weren't even there, so that's not an issue (and I am a heavy sweater).

Gravity Man

Kerosene
08-15-2003, 19:19
I'm with Highway and Youngblood -- I have not found them to be worth their weight (4 oz for the short OR gaitors). I don't tend to get much stuff in my boots, and when I do I just slip them off. My feet also sweat a lot and while the OR gaitors may breath, they don't breath enough. Finally, given that it seems to rain a lot on the AT anyway, they certainly don't keep my feet any drier except perhaps for those few areas that are "brushed over" (I haven't hiked the southern balds yet, however).

MedicineMan
08-15-2003, 22:09
there is another bonus of gaitors, they will increase the life of you shoe, plus my calves are clean in the evening when i take them off....and i dont think the weight of the lightweight goretex OR gaiters is an issue but then again it may be for some.

Former Member
08-16-2003, 04:46
Gaitors are a waste of time money and weight early in your hike.

My reasoning for this, is that there a pain in the ass to deal with espescially till you do your first hundred to Rainbow Springs, I ditched mine there, and had no need for them till Newfound Gap where I got off and realizied being with out booze for day on end wasn't my idea of enjoyment.

if you got good rain pants like Marmonts or like, you won't need them. the trail that I have seen so far is pretty well beaten and I don't see the need. I have heard people say they keep little pepples and rocks out of your boots, but hey if your going to walk that fast to stir it up, stay home and stay in your habit trail with a picture book.

The meek shall inherit the earth,
The brave will get the oceans ...

MedicineMan
08-16-2003, 05:40
what about the coolness factor? gotta admit they got the looks,,,,and this past weekend from VA42 to Pearisburg my partner would have given a little finger for a pair

Doctari
10-10-2003, 22:38
I mostly wear them to keep the crud off my socks and stones & such out of the boots. I wear OG minis, they are just tall enough to cover my sox.

I have a really tall pair for cool wet hiking. And a pair for winter hiking that are waterproof(ish).

penguingirl
10-11-2003, 03:19
I always wear gaiters since I finally got a pair - I'm completely sold on them. They keep my socks clean, they keep my legs from getting scratched to bits and they will even keep a reasonable amount of water out of my boots when crossing rivers that are just higher than my boot tops. Great stuff in my opinion!

Mr. Clean
10-11-2003, 12:31
I only wear them when doing trail work or if I'm in what could be deep snow. But I'm thinking of getting the short ORs so I can leave the tall heavy-weights at home.

chris
10-14-2003, 10:18
I wear gaiters when I am in snow and wearing boots. When in runners or not in snow (or lots of mud), they are really not necessary and do little other than look cool. Of course, there is much to be said for looking cool. My new, blue Rainshield jacket really highlights my eyes, I'm happy to say.

Haiku
10-15-2003, 09:29
I wear them in the cold with my kilt to help stay warm, and this summer when I hiked the JMT they were great, even pushed down, since that trail is mostly sand. On the AT next year I may ditch them when the weather gets warm and pick them up again in VT/NH.

Haiku.

Jester2000
11-10-2003, 01:37
Didn't wear them on my thru-hike, but since getting them in '01 I really find them to be useful, although, as pointed out by others, not in all conditions. As for weight, I find that I seem to accumulate their weight in sticks, pebbles and dirt when I don't wear them.

And they really do keep my boots from getting waterlogged in all but the heaviest rain, and that's weight saved right there.

Although I have no problems with carrying useless weight, so I don't even know why I'm looking at this angle.

Maybe I'm drunk?

Percival
11-10-2003, 02:19
Do you wear gaiters when you hike? Why or why not?

Depends where I am. In the NY-CT area I always wear them, those people are very fashion conscious and it's uncool not to. Also in the Whites gaiters are de rigeur, and if I don't have them on while hiking I put them on before I get to the huts. Don't want to look like a dork, you know.

Down south however, those hillbillies wouldn't know a gaiter from a gator and you can hike without them like the hiker trash you are.

Jaybird
11-10-2003, 08:24
...wouldn't know the difference between a "gaiter or gator"?????
hehehehehehe! goodun' PERCIVAL!

Do you wear gaiters when you hike? Why or why not?...

Bunchberry:

I think this is another "personal preference" issue.
I've NEVER used gaiters...since i wear "convertible" water-resisitant hiking pants that cover the top of my boots.

I've never had problems with pebbles, or stones in the boots or getting the socks wet inside the boots.

I did a weekend hike, this past weekend, (Big South Fork,TN)& 4 out of 6 hikers used gaiters...so, again, personal preference.

Jaybird
www.trailjournals.com/JAYBIRD

;)

tribes
11-10-2003, 11:20
Always gaiters, they really do prolong the life of shoes as well as socks......

Footslogger
11-10-2003, 13:07
Used them on my thru this year and was darned glad I did. Started off with the low ones from OR. Kept crap and morning dew out of my boots. Later on when the weather got cold I switched to the high gators and found that they served a dual purpose. They did everything mentioned above PLUS they served as lower pant legs ...since I hiked the entire trail in shorts. I get too warm hiking in long pants but found that the high gators kept my legs just warm enough without causing me to sweat.

I remember many a morning crossing a field with wet knee high grass and being very happy to see the moisture running down my gator and off onto the ground instead of down my socks and into my boots.

Two Speed
04-15-2004, 20:30
I have a pair, but generally limit carrying them to snow or particuarly cold weather.

VAMTNHIKER
04-16-2004, 07:10
Not having any ... but interested... any specific brands / models / features that I should look for?

Sorry .. forget I asked .. I just saw the other thread!

:o

Uncle Wayne
04-16-2004, 08:10
I wore the short OR gaiters on my section hike in Virginia and they were hot. Even with the velcro open, which kinda defeats the purpose of wearing them, they were too warm for me. In fact I had a heat rash break out around my lower leg because of them. When I took them off the rash disappeared.
But a lot of people use them and I still have mine but they don't get a lot of use.

sakkit
04-16-2004, 14:59
I use mine in mostly wet conditions. Keeps water and mud out of my boots. I have the high ones. They do get a little warm but I would rather keep my feet dry ;) .
sakki

Colter
04-20-2004, 10:27
On the AT, I didn't wear them once and didn't miss them. Anything I can comfortably do without, ESPECIALLY on my feet, I will definitely leave at home.

Sure, I'll wear gaiters in deep snow, but I wasn't hiking in deep snow on my AT hike.

I think gaiters are sort of like ground cloths, many folks feel they need them, (tent wear, dirt, etc.) but most find you can do without them just fine.

To each his own.

Kozmic Zian
04-20-2004, 21:13
Yea.....Gaiters. Just think about the name a second.....gaiters.....what does that mean? The gaiter gaits the water and scree away from and down to the ground, without entering the top or laces area of the boot or trail-shoe. I always wear them. Don't want to stop just to get rock, sticks, bugs, rain (gotta have dry socks), or any other stuff out o' the boots. If a hiker wore a pair of 'trail-shoes', most of these have a non-gussetted tounge, plus they're short. All this invites more scree and water into the 'foot-system'. All the more reason, IMHO, to wear them. I couldn't hike w/o gaiters. When it rains, good ones, like ORs really do work to keep out the water. Gaiters also gait sweat that runs down the legs from the waist area where all of the upper body sweat gathers. On hot days, the gaitor, works as well with this heavy perspiration. Ever get into a thistle or nettle area on The Trail. This kind of 'weed' or herb can really torture your calves and ankles, without gaitors. Sometimes berry stickers or all kinds of vines and sharp objects are also deflected, preventing scratching and pain.

To each his own, however, and some can do without, and never miss them. Myself, as stated earlier, could never hike without my trusty, warm, protective gaiters. They are surely my 'security blanket' piece of gear if ever there was one. KZ@

Kozmic Zian
04-20-2004, 21:14
Yea.....Gaiters. Just think about the name a second.....gaiters.....what does that mean? The gaiter gaits the water and scree away from and down to the ground, without entering the top or laces area of the boot or trail-shoe. I always wear them. Don't want to stop just to get rock, sticks, bugs, rain (gotta have dry socks), or any other stuff out o' the boots. If a hiker wore a pair of 'trail-shoes', most of these have a non-gussetted tounge, plus they're short. All this invites more scree and water into the 'foot-system'. All the more reason, IMHO, to wear them. I couldn't hike w/o gaiters. When it rains, good ones, like ORs really do work to keep out the water. Gaiters also gait sweat that runs down the legs from the waist area where all of the upper body sweat gathers. On hot days, the gaitor, works as well with this heavy perspiration. Ever get into a thistle or nettle area on The Trail. This kind of 'weed' or herb can really torture your calves and ankles, without gaitors. Sometimes berry stickers or all kinds of vines and sharp objects are also deflected, preventing scratching and pain.

To each his own, however, and some can do without, and never miss them. Myself, as stated earlier, could never hike without my trusty, warm, protective gaiters. They are surely my 'security blanket' piece of gear if ever there was one. KZ@:cool:

Ramble~On
04-21-2004, 06:11
I agree with IceMan.

I've found that for me anyway they work.
They keep mud out of my laces which I like.
They keep mud and debris out of my boots.
Deep snow is a no brainer.
I don't hit any trail without them.
As for the weight....I forget that I have them on.

sawwhetowl
04-23-2004, 19:23
Man, short gaiters are the best! I won't leave home without them. Of course I hike mainly off trail. The REI Desert Gaiters are light and airy. Keep your feet clean on your thru hike! wear gaiters! :rolleyes:

Krewzer
04-24-2004, 08:46
Yea, I wear short gaiters. They keep the rocks out of my shoes, and that's makes them worthwhile for me. I caught the Outdoor Research ones on sale at EMS and they work great.
I've got a buddy who buys old sweat pants at thrift stores and cuts the bottom 8" or 9" of the legs off, pulls them up just to the top of his boots, then folds them pack down to cover his boot tops. Instant, cheap and light gaiters to keep rocks out. When he thought they were worn out, he'd go pick up some more for about a dollar. (Come to think of it, I believe he mostly washed them with his socks)
I thought that was a pretty good, low tech idea.

Krewzer

SGT Rock
04-24-2004, 09:17
I have some Minigaters, sometimes I like them, sometimes I hate them. I am still not sold on the need for them even after using them for about three years.

bartender
09-02-2004, 10:53
Just finished a thru of the Long Trail. I almost didn't bring my OR low gaiters, turned out they were one of the best pieces of gear I brought! Vermont should be renamed Vermud! I can't claim the Vermud joke as my own, a group of AT thrus had come up with it my first night near the Seth Warner shelter.

eyahiker
09-02-2004, 12:13
Yup.

And keep legs cleaner. Don't help much with water in puddles, and heavy rain seeps down in sometimes. But for the most part they keep you covered and less scratched.

Don't want a bunch of branches or resident bugs stuck in those hairy legs!

sgtjinx
09-02-2004, 14:21
I always wear them. In Florida, most of the time it's wet, or swampy. Also they kept the bugs from going down into your boots.

Rift Zone
09-02-2004, 14:43
Most the time they don't cross my mind.

That is because most the time I'm on groomed trails for brief periods of time -a few days or so.

Gaiters Rule.

-Long Distance
-Off-Trail
-Mountaineering
-Snow

I wouldn't have it any other way.

gravityman
09-02-2004, 14:50
Just finished a thru of the Long Trail. I almost didn't bring my OR low gaiters, turned out they were one of the best pieces of gear I brought! Vermont should be renamed Vermud! I can't claim the Vermud joke as my own, a group of AT thrus had come up with it my first night near the Seth Warner shelter.

We did the 170 :banana miles from Canada to The Inn at the Long Trail at the end of July/early august. With all the mud, they were a must! We have the shorty-stretchy gators. The velcro came unstitched, so we need to replace them, but they have a few miles on them.

Anyway, love them, wouldn't hike without them. Doesn't matter where or when. Vermud was a pretty standard funny on the trail in the journals. In fact, I think that I saw it on a bumpersticker even :-? .

Anywho, what did you think of the Northern Long trail?

Gravity Man (Waffle and Danger Pea is how we were signing the registers...)

highway
09-02-2004, 15:09
I see little or no need for them. I guess. Besides what use would they be with my Teva sandals?

The few times that a pebble does get between my foot and the sandal sole, a little shake is all it takes to dislarge it. If the feet become wet they dry quickly, unless its a constant rain but then i suspect that all feet would become wet-wearing gaiters or not. Plus, like the other poster, I see little use in adding more weight to my feet. :)

eyahiker
09-02-2004, 16:40
They do give you nasty white pale mushy softlegs in the summer though, that's a downside as well.

Singletrack
09-02-2004, 19:34
Check out Montbell's stretch gaiters. 1.5 oz. Made for adventure racers, and anyone else. Sold online by Argear. Kind of pricey $29.95.

attroll
09-02-2004, 23:58
I wear them. It keeps the spruce needles and other little things from getting into my socks and then sticking into the sides of my ankles.

Ridge
09-03-2004, 09:32
My type of step throws trash/ticks ect. into my boots so I always wear them (short ones). They keep snow & most of the rain out, keep feet warm (bad news:hot (http://news:hot/) in summer). They save my laces, also helps keep them tied, protects boots. I use small elastic heel cord with a covering of nylon tubeing (the type climbers use) to protect the cord. Red tubing for "R"ight gater Lavender(really purple) for "L"eft, It just makes it quicker to put them on correctly. I have to replace the elastic at the gater top every couple years, about same with heel cord and tubing.

gravityman
09-03-2004, 10:13
Check out Montbell's stretch gaiters. 1.5 oz. Made for adventure racers, and anyone else. Sold online by Argear. Kind of pricey $29.95.

Singletrack, thanks for the advice! I will check them out, as both pair of OR gators that I have had fell apart a little sooner than I would have liked. And the stretch are about the same price. The best thing is we have a Monte Bell store here in boulder, so I can go check them out :)

Gravity Man

Texas Dreamer
09-03-2004, 12:28
I have been thinking of making a pair out of the cut off bottoms of Frogg Toggs. I have to cut off about 7 or 8 inches from the bottom 'cause I'm vertically challenged. Do ya'll think this material would hold up well enough, or would I just be looking at shredded gaitors after a while? On the plus side, if they don't turn out to be hard-wearing enough, at least I didn't spend any money on 'em. Opinions?

gravityman
09-03-2004, 14:50
I have been thinking of making a pair out of the cut off bottoms of Frogg Toggs. I have to cut off about 7 or 8 inches from the bottom 'cause I'm vertically challenged. Do ya'll think this material would hold up well enough, or would I just be looking at shredded gaitors after a while? On the plus side, if they don't turn out to be hard-wearing enough, at least I didn't spend any money on 'em. Opinions?

Out of all my gear, my gaitors seem to be the most abused. Well, maybe my shoes come in first. Then gaitors, then the lower part of my rain pants. My frogg togg like pants (Rainshield) are severly worn down there above the gaitors. I doubt that the material would hold up as gaitors for me. My stretch gaitors barely hold up. They have a few holes in them. No idea how that happened...

Gravity man

Texas Dreamer
09-03-2004, 17:20
Thanks, Gravityman!

That kind of advice makes a difference. There would be a little time involved in refitting the cut off pieces with elastic and such--I didn't want to do it if its not going to work. Still there just seems something wasteful about not doing something with that fabric, maybe I could make a stuff sack out of it. I am debating also wheather (sp?) or not to make rain-mitts out of the fabric cut off the sleeves. One thing--I guess I am saving a lot of ounces by cutting off all this too-long stuff!

bartender
09-04-2004, 20:11

I loved it except for the incredibly dangerous descents down wet slippery boulders every few hours! It really was the Long Hard Trail in the north! I have to check my journals for confirmation but I think it rained about 19-20 days out of the 28 it took me to finish.(I know that is slow but it was my first real long distance hike) I think I recall seeing some of your entries in the shelter registers. My trail name was Pirate(i know not very original)but once someone suggested it I figured I could have ended up with worse!

Tudor
01-15-2006, 15:46
In addition to taking my boots *no gaiters* I am taking my Montrail trail-runners that come with gaiters. When I feel the need to wear the trail-runners, and the conditions are right, I'll just connect the gaiters to the shoes. Other than that, no gaiters. Hell, I might end up not even using the things! lol

JoeHiker
01-16-2006, 18:01
We did the 170 :banana miles from Canada to The Inn at the Long Trail at the end of July/early august. With all the mud, they were a must! We have the shorty-stretchy gators. The velcro came unstitched, so we need to replace them, but they have a few miles on them.

Anyway, love them, wouldn't hike without them. Doesn't matter where or when. Vermud was a pretty standard funny on the trail in the journals. In fact, I think that I saw it on a bumpersticker even :-? .

Gravity Man (Waffle and Danger Pea is how we were signing the registers...)

I did exactly the same hike in October. I had planned to go to Massachusetts but the snow hit while I was sleeping at Rolston Rest Shelter, just a few miles north of The Inn at Long Trail so I had to end my hike there.

My gaiters - Integral Designs eVENT Shortie Gaiters -- were indispensable for that trip. It rained the first 8 days!

Cookerhiker
01-19-2006, 10:35
...like hiking in snow. Last winter in SW Virginia, they kept my feet dry in 6 days of hiking in snow, some of which was thigh-deep drifts. Last week, I forgot them while hiking 3 days in CT. Even though the snow was no more than 5" at its deepest, enough trickled down my boots (mostly from the descents) to wet my feet.

I'd probably wear them in extremely muddy/mucky areas as well but otherwise, they produce too much sweat.