PDA

View Full Version : day hike in the Greyson Highland

ivanputski
03-13-2007, 12:32
I have the maps but am having a hard time putting distances with the various trails. What would be a good day hike out of Massie Gap parking lot for a family with middle age kids. Something in the 3-5 mile range maybe. As always that for your help.

Lone Wolf
03-13-2007, 12:33
I have the maps but am having a hard time putting distances with the various trails. What would be a good day hike out of Massie Gap parking lot for a family with middle age kids. Something in the 3-5 mile range maybe. As always that for your help.

Massie gap to Rhododendron gap and back.

Jan LiteShoe
03-13-2007, 12:43

Your kids are middle-aged?
:):)

One of my favorite places to dayhike.
You could go either way from Massie Gap and enjoy yourself, but I agree with LW - the walk to Rhodo Gap and back is rocky and dramatic, with lots of side rock-scrambling for the kids. Fat Man's Squeeze they'll like.

The ponies often hang out near Massie Gap. Likely no foals yet.
Bring a wind shell and a hat.
I always sunburn there no matter the weather.
I'm smilin' just thinking of it.

jlb2012
03-13-2007, 15:54
go up to Rhodo Gap on the AT and come back on Wilburn Ridge Tr.

BlackCloud
03-13-2007, 16:01
Go a little further then Rhodo Gap to Thomas Knob shelter. Great place to have lunch & look around (spring nearby)

orangebug
03-13-2007, 16:02
I'm doing the same thing, but planning on camping with a 4 year old during her Spring Break. I can't wait to see her with the ponies.