PDA

View Full Version : Campsite Below Chestnut Knob Shelter VA

bigboy
03-13-2007, 14:32
I want to know if there is a campsite at the spring fed pond that is 1.8 miles south of Chestnut Knob Shelter in VA South of Bland. I've seen a bunch of posts about how clear it is, but can you pitch a tent nearby? I would appreciate any help!
:sun

Sly
03-13-2007, 14:47
I want to know if there is a campsite at the spring fed pond that is 1.8 miles south of Chestnut Knob Shelter in VA South of Bland. I've seen a bunch of posts about how clear it is, but can you pitch a tent nearby? I would appreciate any help!
:sun

Yeah, there's lots of spots in the area.

Kerosene
03-13-2007, 14:52
The lake is in the middle of a meadow, so yes, you have a lot of choices but little privacy.

Grampie
03-14-2007, 09:53
Camped there in 2001 with my hiking buddy Texas Jack. It is a beautiful spot. Plenty of room to tent. The water body isn't a lake. It's a small pond fed by a nearby spring with good cold water. The remains of a spring house are near by. I always thought of the pearson who lived there, years ago, and what a wounderfull spot he had. I fear that the government made him move when they took that land.:(

bigboy
03-14-2007, 10:31
Thanks!!! I apprecaite the help and info. Looking forward to being there in a couple of weeks on a section hike.

Jim Lemire
03-14-2007, 12:16
I pitched a tent at the pond a tent there after passing up Chestnut because I needed water. I sure got water at 2 am when hurricane Fran hit.

AT2000

The Old Fhart
03-14-2007, 13:30
I have stopped at the spring a few times and have noticed lots of very small protein swimming in the spring. One time a hiker chugged about 1/2 a liter of water before he noticed little red specks doing the backstroke in the water he was drinking. He was ok but I would advise treating the water, just in case.

Brushy Sage
03-14-2007, 18:27
When I was through there in '03, the pond looked very stagnated, and I was glad I didn't have to draw water from it. I had filled up at a stream some distance before, and lugged a heavy load of water up through the meadow. Even trudging and puffing, I appreciated the fantastic view back toward the southern mountains.

hopefulhiker
03-14-2007, 20:43
Definetely load up on water before Chestnut knob shelter.. In 05 I ended up sharing a good bit of water with two parched hikers that came up the hill without water to the shelter. The little pond looked pretty marshy and the spring was questionable.