PDA

View Full Version : Update on Armored out door products Ratsack

Chache
03-13-2007, 16:48
Update. You guys are great with your responses and research. I filed a dispute with Paypal. The company responded and refunded my money to Paypal. Paypal confirms this. The company say it is going to send me my order for free and I should get it by Friday. I will send them full payment when I get it. I don't what to take advantage of a small company as I am one too. I Will let you know when I get it. I really want it for a trip to Havsu falls,AZ. People say the critters will really get in to your stuff.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-13-2007, 17:06
Wonderful news and glad to hear the company plans to go the extra mile to make this right.

mrc237
03-14-2007, 06:40
Made the trip to Havasu last year. The most amazing place I've ever visited! Great hike down to it, the Village however is different. What type of equipment did you order? I don't remember having any problems with critters.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-14-2007, 06:59
The male dino and I want to make this hike. We will likely get a mule to carry our packs since my ability to carry weight is limited -- and we are similar in age to the canyon :D. Can you give me some idea of how steep the trail really is and what the footing is like? Accounts I've read vary. Are we talking Mt Albert? North side of Blood Mountain? The AT north of Fontana?

mrc237
03-14-2007, 07:39
The trail straight out of the trailhead is very steep at first then grades off softly to accomodate stock, the trail is not maintained as well as those in GCNP but easily passable with lots of dust and sunshine (long pants and LS shirts and a big hat). After the first 1/2 mile it levels off for the next 8+ miles along a dry river bed to the Havisupai Village where there is a small grocery for snacks etc then the trail meanders through the village to the village center where a small restaurant, larger grocery, hotel PO etc exist. You then follow the trail out of town to the falls, three in all and one more magnificent than the last, the trail switches back gently to the campground base. The campground is beautiful but not very well maintained, I visited in Feb. 06' and it seemed to me that it hadn't been cleaned in awhile. All in all it was the best short hike I'd have ever done in my life! It gave me the feeling of privilege to see what we see and do what we do in the hiking world if you are willing to walk the walk. The trail has alot of horse traffic don't expect the orderly kind we see at GCNP a herd of horses are controlled by two wranglers so be on your ''toes'' :).I did have a short presentation at Soruck in Jan. Sly has the disk if you are interested. The entire hike is about 12 miles one way. Hope this answers your Qs.

moxie
03-14-2007, 08:31
:-? I hiked the Grand Canyon a few years back in April,. Amazing hike. A foot of snow at the south rim and 90 degrees by the river. We had deer pass us in the opposite direction on the narrow trail. Winter to hot summer in six hours. Fishing was great in the river. We backpacked and camped. The animals in the canyon are fairly tame and the squirrels are vicious. My wife set down her pack to go behind a rock to pee and a squirrel jumped on her pack and ate a hole into her pack and right down to her gorp. If you set your bowl down while eating the squirrels would jump in it and start eating. They ran across my lap to try to get a Snickers bar. They know no shame and have been spoiled by idiots feeding them as have the deer. I don't know if I would want to carry the weight of a woven metal pack but in at the Grand Canyon I can understand the need for it.

mrc237
03-14-2007, 13:23
Last year in Feb I had no critter problems in the GC. However, the NPS installed critter canisters which may have solved the problem. Were they there when you hiked?