PDA

View Full Version : Ack! Less than three weeks to go....

mambo_tango
03-13-2007, 19:40
Okay awhile back I had a thread asking about how in the heck I was going to fit the Wiggy's bag that my brother gave me for Christmas into my pack. I have been in denial for the last 3 months about it - determined that I was going to use it because the guilt was overwelming. Today I came to my senses (or semi-senses maybe). What can you recommend that is inexpensive and ships within twoish weeks? I really don't have a lot to spend so down is out of the question.

rafe
03-13-2007, 19:44
Shipping ought not be your major concern -- places like Campmor ship within 24 or 48 hours for stuff that's in stock. You ought to be able to get a generic down bag for around $150 or so that will do the job, for an early April start.

mambo_tango
03-13-2007, 19:47
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=86896&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1

Thoughts?

TJ aka Teej
03-13-2007, 19:58
Thoughts?

I've got the 0 degree of that style, it's wicked nice!
Campmor has excellent shipping/service too.

mambo_tango
03-13-2007, 20:05
I've got the 0 degree of that style, it's wicked nice!
Campmor has excellent shipping/service too.

I noticed from a previous post of yours that you have an eureka spitfire too - how do you like it? Have you used it for an extended amount of time? I was thinking of getting one while I was bag shopping (Upon closer inspection today I discovered that my borrowed clip flashlight's rain fly had delaminated - I am not having much fun with my gear right now).

hopefulhiker
03-13-2007, 20:06
Check out ebay too. Someone had the WM Irqouis here on this thread for 150. Some people used the Kelty light year too.

rafe
03-13-2007, 20:11
Check out ebay too. Someone had the WM Irqouis here on this thread for 150. Some people used the Kelty light year too.

If delivery time is an issue, I'd stay away from eBay. Just sayin'.

mambo_tango
03-13-2007, 20:18
Is a 20 degree bag warm enough? Wow... I am full of questions tonight.. questions lead to answers that lead to questions...

rafe
03-13-2007, 20:21
Is a 20 degree bag warm enough? Wow... I am full of questions tonight.. questions lead to answers that lead to questions...

Maybe... probably... if you wear a base layer while sleeping... and/or if you sleep in a tent. But the 0 degree Campmor bag is $140, not much more $. Don't forget that your sleeping pad has a lot to do with how warm you stay.

Lone Wolf
03-13-2007, 20:24

yes. order the campmor 20* down bag for $119. i'm starting next week with it. great bag.

mambo_tango
03-13-2007, 20:28
Everyone has been really helpful - thank you so much!

TJ aka Teej
03-13-2007, 20:30
I noticed from a previous post of yours that you have an eureka spitfire too - how do you like it?
It's a real upgrade from my Eureka Solitaire, much roomier! I've only used the Spitfire a dozen times, but I'm sold on it. Like all Eurekas, it's cheap and well made - except for the dirt and stains my old Solitaire is like new after 80 or so set ups.

vaporjourney
03-13-2007, 21:19
I second the recommendation for a Eureka Spitfire. It's an excellent solo shelter, especially for a first time tent purchase. I wound up buying a Tarptent Rainbow for the weight savings and more interior space, but sometimes i really do miss the small footprint of the Spitfire. It really gave more choices in sight selection.

A 20 degree bag should be enough, but I'm not sure how dependable the ratings on Campmor bags are. I think the rule of thumb on all bags that aren't in the upper echelon (western mountaineering, nunatak, etc), is that you should add 10 degrees to the recommended rating for a more realistic estimate of how low the bag can go. And this is probably with a thick sleeping pad too. The 0 deg bag by them may not be a bad idea if you are a cold sleeper. If you sleep more, you could probably be ok with that bag.

Looks like you are pointed in the right direction though. Don't stress, 3 weeks is plenty of time to get the gear you need. Just FOCUS! Campmor is the definitive online gear store in my eyes, and has the ultimate in customer service. No worries there. Best of luck on your thru and hopefully I see you out there.

Sly
03-13-2007, 21:24
A 20 degree bag should be enough, but I'm not sure how dependable the ratings on Campmor bags are. I think the rule of thumb on all bags that aren't in the upper echelon (western mountaineering, nunatak, etc), is that you should add 10 degrees to the recommended rating for a more realistic estimate of how low the bag can go.

I've used the Campmor bag for over 7000 long distance hiking miles. It's a good bag well worth the money and the rating is as close as any.

Lilred
03-14-2007, 09:25
yes. order the campmor 20* down bag for $119. i'm starting next week with it. great bag.

I agree. I have this bag and love it. It packs small and the weight is good too.

Lone Wolf
03-14-2007, 09:28

The long bag is $119. Regular bag is $109

mambo_tango
03-15-2007, 14:05
Yay! My tent and bag have been shipped UPS today. I should get them within a week.