PDA

View Full Version : Wish I may, wish I might...

Rule #62
03-13-2007, 23:06
Have been dreaming of thru-hiking the AT for years. Always told myself that I want to be climbing Katahdin on my 40th birthday. Well, guess what... that will be next year! So... I have the desire. I just need to figure out how to pay 6 months of bills and keep health insurance on myself and my husband (who is self-employed). Not worried about a job, I can find another one of those!

So I will be watching the forums and praying and passively planning to join y'all next March! If anyone has any ideas on how to maintain insurance I'd love to hear 'em.

Skidsteer
03-13-2007, 23:10
Have been dreaming of thru-hiking the AT for years. Always told myself that I want to be climbing Katahdin on my 40th birthday. Well, guess what... that will be next year! So... I have the desire. I just need to figure out how to pay 6 months of bills and keep health insurance on myself and my husband (who is self-employed). Not worried about a job, I can find another one of those!

So I will be watching the forums and praying and passively planning to join y'all next March! If anyone has any ideas on how to maintain insurance I'd love to hear 'em.

Welcome to WB!

:welcome

camich
03-13-2007, 23:24

:welcome Good Luck!! I hope it works out for you. I'll be turning 40 this year and although I won't be thru hiking I'll be on the trail on my B-day...can't wait!!:sun:)

freefall
03-14-2007, 00:14
If anyone has any ideas on how to maintain insurance I'd love to hear 'em.

:welcome

COBRA would be the easiest option although PRICEY. You just pay your full premium to the insurance company that your employer uses.

You might also read through these threads:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21685&highlight=insurance

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21122&highlight=insurance

I went the "self insured" route myself but not everyone is willing to take that risk.

bfitz
03-14-2007, 00:24
Cobra was the best option for me.

ShowMe
03-14-2007, 02:29
I'm a fellow Show Me Stater ( St. Charles ) I have been self employed for years and have insurance through Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Missouri. As long as you have been a resident for ( I think 60 but maybe 90 ) days you qualify. At least that was the case as of 2004. I am happy with them, they gave me insurance after my previous provider cut me off half way through chemo treatments. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Good Luck

P.S. Have you checked out the Ozark Trail? No real mountains but a nice hike.

Rule #62
03-15-2007, 00:09
Thanks everyone for the ideas. I'll check out COBRA and the self-insurance thing. I am also planning on talking to my employer about a leave of absence where they maintain my benefits. Maybe if I agree to sign a 2-year contract with them when I return... we'll see. I'll keep looking for options.

Hey Show Me!! I have not done much of the Ozark Trail. I hiked through some of the Taum Sauk area pre-reservior disaster. I do plan on some practice hikes on the OT. Where else do you hike around here?

Footslogger
03-15-2007, 08:55

================================

Energy flows in the direction of thought. Keep the dream alive and you will figure out how to get it done. That's a great birthday present to give yourself. For my 60th, I'm giving myself a PCT thru !!

'Slogger

Rule #62
03-19-2007, 21:50
"Energy flows in the direction of thought."

I've been thinking a lot about this for the last several days. That is a great way to keep the hope alive. A PCT thru for your 60th birthday sounds amazing! With any luck I'll be achieving my dream next year. In the meantime I'll keep that energy flowing on the right direction.

ShowMe
03-22-2007, 03:18
Hey Show Me!! I have not done much of the Ozark Trail. I hiked through some of the Taum Sauk area pre-reservior disaster. I do plan on some practice hikes on the OT. Where else do you hike around here?[/quote]

That was a really nice area (pre-disaster). The Mark Twain National forest is nice, though last time I was there was hunting season, so a bit scary. If in that area just camp in the woods and not at any established campgrounds. (unless you don't believe the meth capitol of the country label)...sad. There is also nice hiking southwest a couple hours towards Springfield at Bennet Springs. Its a short trail with established campsites but I've never seen anyone else on the trail. (a plus IMO). The Ozark Highlands Trail in Arkansas is 200ish miles but Ive never been. The folks at OTA in Kirkwood are great and very helpful.

Happy Hiking!!!

sj_viperjock
03-22-2007, 12:11
hey, another missourian here, always nice to hear about new places to hike in the area.

Thanks!