PDA

View Full Version : Hi Tec Boots

Dingus Khan
03-14-2007, 10:27
Is there a general consensus on Hi Tec boots? They seem to be on the inexpensive side (aka buy them at dicks or other depart. stores) yet their construction seems legit at first glance.

Good, bag, or plain ugly?

Dingus Khan
03-14-2007, 10:30
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2036518&cp=2367824.2277089.2368759.2361225&parentPage=category

just one of the models that caught my attention, i will be going there later to weigh them since a listed weight for size 9 = 18.1. i take that to be 18.1 oz per shoe
only thing i wished they had was a vibram sole for longevity

Sly
03-14-2007, 10:39
I buy Hi-Tec stuff all the time, especially when I can find it on sale. I like them.

Midway Sam
03-14-2007, 10:41
I buy Hi-Tec stuff all the time, especially when I can find it on sale. I like them.

I like my Hi-Tecs just fine.

Cuffs
03-14-2007, 10:41
Ive worn their military/police style boots for years with excellent results.

I currently have 2 different pair of their hiking style boots. 1 is a low to mid cut just your average boot. I dont particularly like this one.

My other pair is the V-Lite boots that I will not give up! And if I can find another pair I'll be buying them!

Midway Sam
03-14-2007, 10:49
Ive worn their military/police style boots for years with excellent results.

I currently have 2 different pair of their hiking style boots. 1 is a low to mid cut just your average boot. I dont particularly like this one.

My other pair is the V-Lite boots that I will not give up! And if I can find another pair I'll be buying them!

Do you perhaps wear a 5.5?

http://cgi.ebay.com/HI-TEC-SIERRA-V-LITE-HIKING-BOOTS-SHOES-WOMENS-5-5-NEW_W0QQitemZ200089145990QQcategoryZ63889QQssPageN ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

LeeF
03-14-2007, 10:51
On my feet, their nylon/canvas boots are great. Durable, comfortable and no break-in period.

On the other hand, the two pairs of all leather boots I've bought from them have never broken in correctly. Maybe its just me.

Cuffs
03-14-2007, 10:59
Do you perhaps wear a 5.5?

http://cgi.ebay.com/HI-TEC-SIERRA-V-LITE-HIKING-BOOTS-SHOES-WOMENS-5-5-NEW_W0QQitemZ200089145990QQcategoryZ63889QQssPageN ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I wish! Good find tho!

Cuffs
03-14-2007, 11:01
On my feet, their nylon/canvas boots are great. Durable, comfortable and no break-in period.

On the other hand, the two pairs of all leather boots I've bought from them have never broken in correctly. Maybe its just me.

That funny/odd, with my 2 pairs, Ive had just the opposite problem. Canvas/nylon ones hurt my feet, but the leathers and synthetic leather one never gave me a problem from day one...

wesleyb
03-14-2007, 11:05
I haven't been real happy with mine. The heel area seems to be larger than most shoes, and I've never been able to get a snug fit without my heels slipping up and down. I did read another post somewhere where someone else had the same problem with Hi-Tec's. I probably should have done more shopping for a better fit instead of assuming they would break in.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-14-2007, 12:10
I have Some Hi-Tec's that aren't made anymore but are similar to this model. (http://www.hi-tec.com/us/category.php?styleId=8337)
I hiked in trailrunners, but had to go to something that would hold my ankle and heel in place due to ortho injuries. They work well, but do get hot. I also use Superfeet insoles.

Skidsteer
03-14-2007, 12:16
I like my V-Lites very much. The current pair are pretty worn out and I'm getting another pair with no qualms.

eventidecu
03-14-2007, 12:30
I bought a pair of Hy tech's two years ago when the ones I had literally disintegrated at camp as we were taking off to do the Standing Indian loop in Franklin NC. ( about 28mi ) We ran down to the outfitters there and I got the all leather Hi Techs for like $110.00 bucks or so and took off. Did not get the first blister nor had any break in issues. I was amazed. Thought I'd get only a year out of them and this will be my third year using them.

Weldman
03-14-2007, 13:26
You can't go wrong and they may last 1-2 seasons but for $30-40 ( Big 5 sporting goods) for each pair that cheap compared to the high priced one. Drawback is some are made narrower than others, I myself have wide feet.

Hi-Tec have been my choice for more than 12 yrs, I started with the Sierra lite's, Nova Lite and latest pair is the El Dorado. I got a pair of Altitude II on order from REI- $39.93 Spring catalog

Shade
03-14-2007, 13:50
Keep an eye on REI Outlet for good deals. I got a pair for $39

Spock
03-14-2007, 14:46
I have always liked Hi-tech shoes, and tend to use them when light trail runners are not appropriate. They seem to last as long as most other shoes in their class that I have tried - even though they are less expensive. The down sides are the excessive padding in some models tends to hold water. Some models are made with waterproof fabric (which does not make them waterproof) even though the rest of the shoe may have desirable features. They fill the gap between trail runners and heavier shoes such as the various Vasque Sundowner models.

Sly
03-14-2007, 15:13
I have a new pair of Vector trail runners, I got on sale, with Vibram soles which should be heavy enough to kick steps in snow. (I hope)

Footslogger
03-14-2007, 15:19
They were a great pair of boots to put the scouts in when I was an ASM back in Atlanta in the 80's and 90's. You could pick up the model called the "Sierra" for under $30 and at the rate the feet were growing that's about all you wanted to invest. Plus at their average weight and size they held up fairly well.

That said ...unless they've REALLY made them a lot more rugged though I don't think they'd hold up well under distance hiking conditions. Uppers broke down pretty quickly and the soles on many of the styles were softer rubber which wore down without much abuse.

'Slogger

mweinstone
03-14-2007, 15:21
hi tech is what it is. not great, good enough, a little fast wearing and also quite addictive. wear them and love them but wear them out and replace them alot witch begins to piss you off in say,..10 years and 20 pairs. i did. switched to asolo.

max patch
03-14-2007, 15:27
In 87 and 88 Hi Tecs were the popular light weight alternative to leather boots. Common knowledge was that there were good for 1,000 miles. 89 was a very wet year, and Hi Tec users encountered problems with the soles coming apart from the uppers. I bought a pair in 96 which I use only for yard work.

Johnny Swank
03-14-2007, 16:30
Cheap, decent shoes. I dig em.

Sly
03-14-2007, 17:37
That said ...unless they've REALLY made them a lot more rugged though I don't think they'd hold up well under distance hiking conditions. Uppers broke down pretty quickly and the soles on many of the styles were softer rubber which wore down without much abuse.
'Slogger

I wore a pair of Merrells and two pairs of Hi-Tec's on the CDT. The cheap Hi-Tec's lasted as long as the more expensive Merrells. That said I did develop a bad foot walking pavement in the Hi-Tec's. I'm not sure if it was the shoe or the pavement, maybe both. It started with what felt like a pinching on the outside of the foot between the foot and what felt like the insole. It got worse, before it got better, and lasted for about 2000 miles.

I noticed in the cheap Hi-Tec's (the Vectos are better built, Vibram sole) had a paper mid-sole which pretty much disintegrated after getting and being wet for awhile.

Sly
03-14-2007, 20:10
Speaking of Hi-Tec Vectors.... Campmor has them on sale in assorted sizes (not mine) for $35.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=39209389

troglobil
03-14-2007, 20:52
I've been wearing them since they first came out with the PCTs in the 80s. I love the way Hi-Tecs fit my feet.

Dingus Khan
03-14-2007, 20:54
great info guys, thanks!!
i will definitively try them out, and for their accessability (i only have ems relatively close by and the stores seem to only carry HEAVY DUTY expedition boots vs trail runners) i will be able to really shop them well.
I like the asolo and vasque light trail boots however the price is too much for the amount of miles i do (unless i can convince the wifey otherwise -- thru soon????)
thanks again!

kyhipo
03-15-2007, 06:57
I like em!have worn them on several hikes average around 1000 miles on those puppys.ky

jela
03-15-2007, 07:24
I bought my 1st pair of hiking boots last year. Hi-Tec's (on the clearance rack at Dick's for the I'm sure mistaken price of $15) I put a pair of Superfeet insoles in them this season to control heel slipage and have had no problems.

Ramble~On
03-19-2007, 16:24
Long ago in lands far away whilst in the Marine Corps a bunch of us bought the military looking boots form Hi Tec..not regulation boots but we got away with it for a while. They were great to run in as compared to the leather combat boot..they were even better to swim in and at the time I spent more time in the water than out..the Hi Tec's floated and I mean they were bouyant enough to make a difference while swimming. Regulations being what they are...we had to go back to the nasty, heavy combat boots.

Anyway, I have a pair of V Lite's and I loved them before I even tried them on...the second I picked them up and realized how light they were I was hooked. Then I read the little tag attached to them that said "They're Very
*%$&@# Light" good advertising for a great boot.
I was doing some work in my garden a couple weeks ago and got them all sorts of clay covered and muddy. Two weeks ago I wore them on a backpacking trip and got blisters on both heels. The heels are not as comfortable as other boots and if they get wet and are allowed to dry out before being worn they shred my feet.

johnny quest
12-20-2007, 11:07
i went looking at the hi-tec altitude yesterday. i wanted a weatherproof boot for my early start. but i ended up getting the lighter hi-tec nova lite wp. i wore them all day....i think i will like them.

Froggy
12-20-2007, 23:28
No current info about them.

But about fifteen years ago I had a pair of Granite II low-top boots, the best I've ever had. Fitted perfectly, and would stick to whatever I could get them on. Man, they were good. They were a lot like current trail-running shoes, but with far better sticktion (which is a real word, at least in aerospace engineering).

One day I washed them and they kind of exploded and that was that.

Jim Adams
12-21-2007, 03:20
I was a tester for Hi-Tec in 1989, '90 and '91.
I can't comment on the new ones as I haven't worn them for about 12 years but back in the day they were great. I tried alot of different models and I always liked the PCT's the best. Try several different models though as back then, although consistent within the model, width would vary between models. Stickiest sole I've ever had other than real climbing shoes and yet I got 1400 miles out of a new pair (PCT's) from Springer to Dalton, Mass.
I doubt if there is still any out there but stay away from the older Mt. Whitney model...they tried a "new" innovative approach and put a ball built into the heel to absorb shock. All that it did was cause a sore spot on the middle of the sole of your heel. It was their "new, best, greatest invention yet" but when my heels were too sore to hike and I gave them a very poor evaluation, I was never asked to test again. OOPPS!!!

geek

dessertrat
12-21-2007, 11:05
Their widest size is not wide enough for me. . . if you have wide feet, stay away, try NB/Dunham.

MOWGLI
12-21-2007, 11:17
My last pair of Hi Tech boots was left on an airplane in 1994. I was headed to Ecuador and had a pair of jungle boots for trekking around in the Amazon. Sitting in a seat with a bulkhead in front of me, I left the boots under my seat when I switched planes in Houston. Problem is, it's hard to get size 13 boots in Ecuador. Ecuadorians are not a big people. I had to go to a black market in Quito and buy a pair from a Columbian.

To answer your question, I'd probably buy another pair. They're not the highest end boots, but they'll do in a pinch. Especially if the price is right - like Sly said.

Mags
12-21-2007, 11:32
The High Tec Altitudes are a good "bread and butter" boot for those not quite ready to transition to trail runners, but still want a fairly light book.

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/hi-tec/altitude-ii/ (The review is for the HTA 2, I believe they are up to model 4).

They retail for $90, I've seen them as low as $70 online, $50 on clearence locally recently (older model I am guessing?)

I've suggested these boots to 4 people now in town; they are all happy with them.

Though I do not hike in boots anymore, I do use them for trailwork. They are VERY comfortable and are usually what I wear around town in the winter, too. (I have them on now!) This is my 2nd pair. I wore out the tread on the first one.

Overall, a good budget boot for general hiking esp. if you are not wanting trail runners.

Deadeye
12-21-2007, 11:38
I'm wearing a pair of Hi-Tec Altitudes right now. Nice, lightweight leather hikers. Like 'em just fine, and have had good long-wearing results with previous Hi-Tec boots. Like anything, fit is the most important thing - I've had $20 shoes from Costco fit and last great, and expensive boots cause nothing but pain. Feet are just too individual to make a blanket statement about shoes. Just gotta try them and find what works for you.

tmdombrosk
12-21-2007, 12:41
Can't go wrong for the price. Just bought a pair of Tundras for $40. Been using Hi-Tech since 95. I recomend them.:D

Mrs Baggins
12-21-2007, 13:13
I'm on my 4th pair of Hi Tec's. I won't wear anything else. I buy the ladies' Altitude boot, high cut and Gortex lined. I've walked through streams in them without so much as a drop of water getting inside. Zero blisters, no foot pain, complete comfort. I've tried other brands and was never comfortable. I can wear my Hi Tec's all day and not feel the urge to get them off at the end of a hike.

greentick
12-21-2007, 20:58
Light and cheap but don't work for my wide high arched feet.