PDA

View Full Version : Olympus Stylus 300 weatherproof digital camera

MOWGLI
08-15-2003, 07:46
I used analog camera & slide film on my thru-hike. No regrets. In 2000, it seemed as if the battery issue for digital cameras was not far enough along to make them useful. My perception was that (in 2000) digital cameras ate batteries like thru-hikers eat Snicker Bars.

This past April I purchased an Olympus "weatherproof" digital for $400. It quit on me a few weeks ago. Thankfully I purchased a 2 year extended full warranty for $30. They have to fix it or give me a new one.

Anyone else have this camera, or know of any problems with it?

Thanks.

flyfisher
08-15-2003, 08:35
I also had the camera quit, suddenly and with no warning. It would not turn on at all.

Because it was still in the manufacturer's year warranty, they gave me a new camera body.

I asked, and my local Best Buy had not seen any of them returned for this problem.

MOWGLI
08-15-2003, 10:25
Thanks Flyfisher. ALthough the info is not encouraging, I appreciate it nonetheless.

MoseyMan
08-17-2003, 21:14
I also own an Olympus digital camera, but a different model (700uz). I've been using it for 3+ years and have few complaints. Problably over 1000 shots so far. Indoors, outdoors, sun, misty rain, 95 degree Georgia summers down to 30 hoar-frost on Springer Mtn. It does run thru the AA's fairly quickly, and the autofocus is not as quick as I would like. But I have no complaints about it's overall performance and reliability.

Olympus has a fairly good rep for producing reliable cameras, but anyone can have an off day - here's hoping you just got the one bad apple in the lot and it's replacement will last you 10 years.

Uncle Wayne
09-03-2003, 06:54
I bought this camera in April of this year and have not had any problems with it. The only thing I dislike about the camera is the battery type but at least it is rechargeable. I carried mine to Philmont this past June and took over 1200 pictures using 3 batteries. I had all the extra power consuming features turned off and used the lowest resolution setting. The pictures turned out great. I have dropped it from 4 foot high and even knocked it out of my truck onto the pavement once without any problems. I have used it in the rain and have been very pleased with it so far. I'm sorry you had bad luck with yours.

MOWGLI
09-03-2003, 07:08
Comp USA just replaced the camera for me after it could not be repaired. I purchased another 29.95 2-year warranty. Hopefully I won't need it this time.