PDA

View Full Version : Inn at Long Trail

mogilews
03-14-2007, 13:00
This thread is for experiences at the Inn at Long Trail (http://www.innatlongtrail.com/). Our group had some negative experiences there, and I just heard from some other folks that stayed there that they had the same problem. What's the Whiteblaze verdict on this place?

rafe
03-14-2007, 13:06
This thread is for experiences at the Inn at Long Trail (http://www.innatlongtrail.com/). Our group had some negative experiences there, and I just heard from some other folks that stayed there that they had the same problem. What's the Whiteblaze verdict on this place?

Had a good time there. I'd sent a mail drop also -- no problems. Good food, good brew. Easy coin-op laundry on the first floor. Easy hike up the Sherbourne Trail then next day, on my way southbound. I'd recommend it.

mrc237
03-14-2007, 13:12
BEST stop on the AT/LT

neighbor dave
03-14-2007, 13:15
BEST stop on the AT/LT

:-? YUP!!:-? :welcome

Lone Wolf
03-14-2007, 13:35
Expensive beer, food, lodging. I don't get the big draw of the place.

Toolshed
03-14-2007, 13:49
I stayed there several times after section hikes in the 90's. No worries. Clean but rustic room, Like LW says, it is expensive. Were your friends loud, annoying, drunk? Details please.

Sly
03-14-2007, 13:51
Expensive beer, food, lodging. I don't get the big draw of the place.

They draw your name in the head of a Guinness. It's an acquired taste, you should try it.

Lone Wolf
03-14-2007, 13:52
They draw your name in the head of a Guinness. It's an acquired taste, you should try it.

BFD. plus @ $4.50 a pint it ain't worth it.

Moose2001
03-14-2007, 14:11
yeah...as Toolshed said...how about some details. I think it's rude to trash a place but give no details.

Stayed there in 2003. Had a great stay. Was a bit on the expensive side because we had one of the rooms on the side with a fireplace in it. Nice people, good bar, great food, staff went out of their way to help. I've never heard any negative feedback except the price. It's a tourist place. What do you expect?

Lone Wolf
03-14-2007, 14:12
$47 plus tax single.

mrc237
03-14-2007, 14:13
Its a shamrock they draw on your Guiness head! Not every place is like Dot's the second best stop on the AT. Spend some of that Exxon cash! When was the last time you were there? Pints were $5.00 last time I was there. Live band and Murray the owner took good care of me, great place!

mrc237
03-14-2007, 14:15
Com'on its Vermont not Arkansas!!!

Footslogger
03-14-2007, 14:18
Nothing but good things to say about my overnight there in 2003. It was a welcome respit after a night of freezing rain at higher elevations.

Expensive ? ...yeah, relatively speaking, but so is everything in NE.

Maybe my experience was unique, but I got one of the smaller rooms. All I really wanted out of the deal was a hot bath and a good meal, both of which I recieved. The folks running the place were accomodating to me and the other hikers there that night.

Might not be within everyone's budget but all things considered, I'd stay there again.

'Slogger

max patch
03-14-2007, 14:28
I didn't stay there on my thru - I stayed at Mt Meadows Lodge which all things considered I thot was the best place I stayed - but I did stay when I hiked VT a few years ago. I liked it well enough to return and stay there with my wife on a ski trip to Killington. I've also returned to MT Meadows on a Killington trip.

mrc237
03-14-2007, 14:31
Whatsa pint and a room cost in Gatlinburg?

Spock
03-14-2007, 14:39
Had a good time there in 03. Forget Guiness - Long Trail Ale is great. It ain't a hostel, but the prices are much lower than motels in the area.

Sly
03-14-2007, 14:51
I've stayed twice, once with EZ. Had a great time, both times.... Split it was only $10-$20 per night, which was no big deal. LW will spend more at Holiday Inn Express.

mrc237
03-14-2007, 15:00
But the HIX gives you that wonderful b'fast in the AM not like that sh**ty one at TILT fresh eggs potatos bacon ham or sausage hot joe and bread also panckes with REAL maple syrup which BTW is included in your stay which comes to $40.00 per single +tax. Ever have the toastem waffles at HIX with the wonderful mystery syrup

Lone Wolf
03-14-2007, 15:05
your stay which comes to $40.00 per single +tax.

+ $50 worth of pints and $20 for dinner. no freakin bargain there.

Sly
03-14-2007, 15:06
Yeah, I forgot about that ****ty breakfast. ;)

Lone Wolf
03-14-2007, 15:07
Yeah, I forgot about that ****ty breakfast. ;)

i've had their breakfast. nothing to write home about.

mrc237
03-14-2007, 15:12
Oh does that mean you get no enjoyment from it because it cost 50 whole dollars and 20 whole dollars for dinner geez Wolf its the 21st century! How much for a round of golf?

Lone Wolf
03-14-2007, 15:12
Whatsa pint and a room cost in Gatlinburg?

a pint of PBR in Asheville is $2

saimyoji
03-14-2007, 15:14

DAMN. Get a whole case for 10. :eek:

mrc237
03-14-2007, 15:23
i've had their breakfast. nothing to write home about.

nothing like the classy buffet at HIX though

mrc237
03-14-2007, 15:24

when ya movin'?

Lone Wolf
03-14-2007, 15:27
nothing like the classy buffet at HIX though

i eat at the Huddle House

Blue Jay
03-14-2007, 15:31
This thread is for experiences at the Inn at Long Trail. Our group had some negative experiences there, and I just heard from some other folks that stayed there that they had the same problem. What's the Whiteblaze verdict on this place?

My verdict is that you are a clod and should stay in Florida where you belong.

mweinstone
03-14-2007, 15:33
i never been there but i was out of body traveling once and ended up there and it seemed scary. im not goin back.

mrc237
03-14-2007, 15:44
i eat at the Huddle House

I bet they gotta GREAT buffet!!!

Sly
03-14-2007, 15:52

What kind of negative experiences?

Mother's Finest
03-14-2007, 15:54
+ $50 worth of pints and $20 for dinner. no freakin bargain there.

Weinstone and I will take you drinking. I promise a good time, but we ain't gonna get far with those types of low $$$. Gonna put that exxon cash to good work. there is a bar/restaurant on broad street that pours a mean 8 oz vodka on the rocks.

if you want PBR, we can go around the corner to Dirty Franks. Can of PBR and a shot of whiskey for $3.00. best deal in philly

peace
mf

mrc237
03-14-2007, 15:55
Com'on mo lets hear it!

Jack Tarlin
03-14-2007, 16:01
Actually, $47.00 is pretty cheap, considering it's Vermont and not Gatlinburg, that it's so close to a major ski resort, etc.

Over the years, I've always been treated very well there, but it's only "expensive" because hikers are, by and large, pretty cheap, plus by the time they're in Vermont, money's getting tight for a lot of them......nobody ever complains about a seven-dollar burger at the NOC in North Carolina because everyone's still living large; 1500 miles later, people start paying attention to how much a beer costs instead of just getting whatever they want like back at the beginning of their trip. Everything seems expensive when you're watching every dime.

In any case, their bar-room is unique, very comfortable and very friendly, and if you're lucky, there'll be a great Irish band playing.

All in all, I think this place is just fine.

(Plus, you don't have to pay for a room.....there are great campsites in the woods right across the road from the Inn, and you can take the money you save and spend it in the tap-room!)

neighbor dave
03-14-2007, 16:02
BFD. plus @ $4.50 a pint it ain't worth it.

:-? that might be last years price! i will admit,it gets more and more spensive there every year:eek:

Jack Tarlin
03-14-2007, 16:07
I've also noticed that the people that complain about prices at the Inn are generally the same folks whining about the "fee" camping sites in Vermont maintained by the Green Mountain Club.

But somehow, against all odds, these same poverty-stricken folks seem to have plenty of money to spend on pizza, beer, movies, etc., once they get to Hanover, just a few days later.

How could this be, I wonder? :-?

mrc237
03-14-2007, 16:08
Way to go Jack!! Like shelling out $65.00 for HIX in Erwin!

mrc237
03-14-2007, 16:12
:-? that might be last years price! i will admit,it gets more and more spensive there every year:eek:

Everything goes up when the fuel is high! Those greedy bastid Exxon shareholders. Ya gotta have big cajones to gripe about prices. The beer has gotta be cold and the water and food hot.

Lone Wolf
03-14-2007, 16:16

you're better off walking down the road a mile or so, there's a great deli-market with all kinds of food and beer, then walk over to the state park campground and get a site for the night, have a fire and some cold ones.
Inn at the Long Trail is overrated.

Jack Tarlin
03-14-2007, 16:21
Wolf has a point (tho it's actually more than a mile to the store), but if you stay on the Trail North for another 3.3 easy miles, and then road-walk to that same store from VT 100, the walk is something like .7 instead. And those not wanting to pay to stay in the campground can camp for free a few tenths of a mile North of the State Park/Campground.

neighbor dave
03-14-2007, 16:26
you're better off walking down the road a mile or so, there's a great deli-market with all kinds of food and beer, then walk over to the state park campground and get a site for the night, have a fire and some cold ones.
Inn at the Long Trail is overrated.

:-? murray is a great guy though. i've stayed there twice. hey like i said befo, i didn't take no vow of poverty when i set foot on da trail!!
i do like wolfs idea though! see you there this summer when you and gypsy are hikin' the L.T.!!:welcome

mrc237
03-14-2007, 17:13
That deli down the road is way too expensive. Geez I spent a whole $1.25 on one cuppa joe. Way over rated!

Yahtzee
03-14-2007, 17:22
The Inn is a fine establishment. The Guinness while expensive is the best poured Guinness I have had in the states. The staff, which has been there for a bit now, is friendlier than hell. Had the bartender take me on the roof one night to see as many stars as I have ever seen. The breakfast kicks ass. It is a great meeting pt for friends. Manch Ctr. is not the most conducive meeting pt. In '05, they allowed camping across the street where the old AT used to run down. That saves room money there. And for 3 people, you can get the hiker room for $66 smackeroo's. That's pretty good. The ambience is kick ass as well. If you get there on a night they have Irish music, you are in a for a treat.

They are strict on letting non paying hikers freeload on the showers. They busted me after I broke down and tried to let some smelly hikers up to my room. They were as nice as could be about it, firm but nice.

It is one of my fav. stops on the trail. If you like Guinness, forget about it. Pull up a chair and worry about the tab later.

mweinstone
03-14-2007, 17:25
talk about the woman. more at the deli or the inn? i would eat with lone wolf and sleep with baltimore jack . wait. i ment, in the woods across the street.

TJ aka Teej
03-14-2007, 17:28
I stayed there three times over three years sectioning the LT. I'm hard to please and pretty darn cheap, so getting my repeat business isn't easy. Nice place, nice people, nice location.

mrc237
03-14-2007, 17:34
The Inn is a fine establishment. The Guinness while expensive is the best poured Guinness I have had in the states. The staff, which has been there for a bit now, is friendlier than hell. Had the bartender take me on the roof one night to see as many stars as I have ever seen. The breakfast kicks ass. It is a great meeting pt for friends. Manch Ctr. is not the most conducive meeting pt. In '05, they allowed camping across the street where the old AT used to run down. That saves room money there. And for 3 people, you can get the hiker room for $66 smackeroo's. That's pretty good. The ambience is kick ass as well. If you get there on a night they have Irish music, you are in a for a treat.

They are strict on letting non paying hikers freeload on the showers. They busted me after I broke down and tried to let some smelly hikers up to my room. They were as nice as could be about it, firm but nice.

It is one of my fav. stops on the trail. If you like Guinness, forget about it. Pull up a chair and worry about the tab later.

Ah what a Grand post!! You only go around once!

Lone Wolf
03-14-2007, 17:36
Ah what a Grand post!! You only go around once!

the place is ok. scale of 1 - 10 i give it a 5.

Lone Wolf
03-14-2007, 17:38
well i just punched out at work. off to dot's for a coupla colds ones

quicktoez
03-14-2007, 17:39
VT and the White Mtn. region in NH are funny place, they love hikers, skiers, and other mountain enthusiast but during peak times (Fall, holiday weekends and events) when these places (Inns, B&Bs motels) get a premium form the upscale crowd and the atmosphere changes, they are overwhelmed with rich pushy folk and a dusty and maybe a bit smelly (at least I smelled when I stayed their) get the bum rush.
Take it form me The Inn at Long Trail (which bought me the first beer because I was a long dis hiker) like most non hostels in NE like us more than the Massholes, pushy CT and New Yorkers but push comes to shove nice guys finish last in the lodging industry. I myself am a 20 year hotel manager (guest service, night and F&B) for Crowne Plaza, Radisson and a few others and service people make a lot of money at these times (probably so they can afford to do what we do).
I'm a strong believer in karma and also know the biz, don't take it personal, a lot of places like this cut a lot of distance hikers slack ($40 in the Killington region is dirt cheap any time {I usually pay at least $25 and that’s the employ rate ) and when you get snubbed by hospitality staff (who are usually people like us) its cause money talks and experienced hospitality people 9 times out of 10 blow off the nice people to work their trade and max their earnings.
Now back to the pushy Southern New Englander comments, I lived in all three states I picked on and from the outside looking in the nicest of us come off generally less friendly then folk form other parts but if your don't live between Boston and New York City and we actually smile, make eye contact or even just don't cut you off with our car that is really just the way we live and why if your a mountain lover and from the North East you probably are the exception to the Southern New England rule but still a bit more reserved in our everyday interpersonal skill set. Remember Karma, the good Samaritans or whatever you holy books say. Well the squeaky wheel may get the oil but it sure doesn’t get much love for all the squeaking and whining it makes. Sometimes being loved/liked and taken for granted is better than being a big wheel.
Finally if your from Mass. I love you GO SOX!! and the think is the works they use for the CT and Urban NYers if so bad I could bring myself to type if but I guess I have been a Connecti-c@#T a few times when I forget how hard people work in the services industry.

Sly
03-14-2007, 17:45
I have been a Connecti-c@#T a few times

Yeah, in the above post.

mrc237
03-14-2007, 17:50
Seriously for a sec here- I don't know where most of you guys drink but I don't find $5.00 for a Guinness expensive. Where I live on LI its common most places get $6.00 and some 7 when entertainment is on. In the stores its 10 + $ for 4 cans. In Dublin where they make the stuff I paid more than 5. Now PBR thats another story. If I wasn't able to spend alot of $$$ on the trail I probably wouldn't be there its like being on a working vacation. I may look like a hobo on the trail but I don't have to be one. Everyone is entitled to spend or not spend their money as they please.

mrc237
03-14-2007, 17:58
The bottom line "Every hotel looks the same when you close your eyes at night''. I wish i was at Dot's right now.

Yahtzee
03-14-2007, 17:59
He was who took me up on the roof. The pastry chef there is right on as well. Except half the time he's gone at a David Grisman show. Last time I was there Owen was off in South America, I think.

Also, the rock formations inside the building are a sweet touch.

I was there on 9/11 and the owners were comforting as could be to the ridge runner at Cooper whose mom worked across the street from the twin towers. Crazy day. Another reason the Inn will always be with me.

rafe
03-14-2007, 19:07
He was who took me up on the roof. The pastry chef there is right on as well. Except half the time he's gone at a David Grisman show.

I didn't know Grisman came around that often... ;) but he's worth a listen or two or three, for sure.

Rough
03-14-2007, 21:53
My wife and I stayed at the Inn at Long Trail twice, in 2003 on our LT through, and then again in 2006 while hiking the AT over toward Hanover. We enjoyed our stays, used the coin laundry, were able to eat vegan off the bar menu and at breakfast, the staff was very accomodating, and the draft Guinness can only be matched at the Rose and Crown Pub at the England pavillion in Disney's EPCOT. There's also a hiker box which is pretty well-stocked in July and August.
The rooms are spartan but clean. Make sure you ask for a room on the side away from Route 4 (the Inn is located at the top of Sherburne Pass and if your room is on the highway side you'lll hear the trucks downshifting all night). Walk-in hikers get a discount (as opposed to those who make a reservation). Let them know if you'll be catching the bus into Rutland and they'll give you a free bus pass (the bus stops right in front of the Inn). We hitched back and forth the one mile from the Route 4 LT/AT trailhead several times without a problem.
During our last stay there were quite a few hikers tenting around the parking lot across the highway from the Inn so there is a nearby alternative if the rates are too steep for some and it's too late to move on.
Oh, and to the guy who said "GO SOX", I can only reply "GO YANKEES, 26-time World Series Champions". Ah, New England.:)

mogilews
03-15-2007, 04:40
Well, if it's OK with you Blue Jay, I do like to leave this state every now and again. :)

Speaking for myself, I had no problems. Some of the fellows I was walking with said they got double charged for a few items, and I met a guy down the trail who had a metric crapload of extra charges on his Visa when he got ahold of the bill. Again, I had no problems myself, but I've been talking with a chap who's thinking of going through next year, and I wanted a bit more data. Sounds like the general consensus is a good one, aside from the expense, but there's only so cheap you can be in NE. Sorry if I ruffled any feathers!

mrc237
03-15-2007, 06:19
Hopefully they got it squared it away. I am sure it was an oversight tell your friend there will be no problems. As far as ruffled feathers this thread was good entertainment we need more like 'em here on WB.

kyhipo
03-15-2007, 06:52
I have been their couple times,and as I recall It was a nice place,did not stay overnight.I did get a ride up to the convenient store,typical New England everything was expensive.ky

Blue Jay
03-15-2007, 10:56
Speaking for myself, I had no problems.

So you bad mouth the oldest and clearly from the response one of the best service providers on the trail IN PUBLIC, because some bozo you don't even know TOLD you he had a minor problem. Seriously stay in Florida and shut up, please. Even Lone Wolf who is tighter than me (and that's saying alot) gave it a five. Don't even try to bad mouth Miss Janet because your Uncle Ralph once got a traffic ticket in Tenn., or we'll come down there.

mogilews
03-15-2007, 11:24
So you bad mouth the oldest and clearly from the response one of the best service providers on the trail IN PUBLIC, because some bozo you don't even know TOLD you he had a minor problem. Seriously stay in Florida and shut up, please. Even Lone Wolf who is tighter than me (and that's saying alot) gave it a five. Don't even try to bad mouth Miss Janet because your Uncle Ralph once got a traffic ticket in Tenn., or we'll come down there.
Hee hee! Like I'd ever badmouth Miss Janet. You had me going there for a minute.

STOKER
03-15-2007, 11:56
i stayed in 06 after nearlly gettn hypothermia the nite b4 ae pico, (was late in gettn my cold-weather gear back) the inn was a salvation 4 me, i had a great time despite the high prices, and i had both shammrocks and my name drawn in my guiness.would recomemend spending a nite there 2 ne1.

Sleepy the Arab
03-15-2007, 12:39
I've stayed there every time I have gone through. A fine place, warm atmosphere, friendly environment. Heck, I even took a zero there in '01. Probably shouldn't have.

If you are not committed to a purist thru, take the Pico trail to the Inn. It was the AT/LT until Sept of '99. The "real" AT adds an extra three miles and only brings you to within a half mile of the Inn.

rafe
03-15-2007, 13:14
If you are not committed to a purist thru, take the Pico trail to the Inn. It was the AT/LT until Sept of '99. The "real" AT adds an extra three miles and only brings you to within a half mile of the Inn.

I'll second that. The old trail leading from the ridge on Pico down to Rte. 4 is pleasant and nicely graded. Some nice views near the top, where the trail crosses some slopes at Pico.

Blue Jay
03-15-2007, 17:51

Actually even if you are a purist you should take that trail. The Reloc is boring BS. It only happened for political reasons.

Sly
03-15-2007, 18:02
The Reloc is boring BS. It only happened for political reasons.

Hey, I helped build that section of trail!!!! :mad:

mrc237
03-16-2007, 10:01
That explains it!

Sly
03-16-2007, 10:04
That explains it!

Quiet! :mad: (I'd probably take the blue blaze to the Inn too ;) )

Painted Turtle
03-16-2007, 15:58
I stayed there a few years back on the 5th day of a section hike that I saw nothing but rain for the last 4 days and loved the place. I even gave them a hand by removeing a big garter snake from their diningroom, waiterest was scared to death :) .

Winter there is all skiers and they cater to them, in the summer there are a lot of hikers so they cater to them then.

Oh one more thing on a trip up to VT my wife and I stayed there, she loved it.

DavidNH
03-16-2007, 17:10
I don't really understand folks complaing about this Inn. What do you have against it? I love this place, one of the best I stayed at on my hike. Really nice staff there as well.

I agree completely with Jack Tarlin on the price 47-50 bucks (which by the way includes breakfast and represents reduced rates for hikers) is pretty cheap. In fact It's real cheap! Now if you order a big dinner complete with mugs of guiness..well the price will go up! However, I found this Inn to be very hiker friendly!

The inn is a nice but basic motel. It is right on route 4. You get a room with comfy bed and shower, there are coin op washer dryer right on premises, and the food their is wondeful! Big hiker sized breakfast. The breaksfast and the hot cocoa made it for me. Best Hot cocoa I had on the trail, and this from someone who LOVES his cocoa!

If you are really too cheep or broke..then hitch into Rutland and stay with the 12 tribes. Man..what a thread there is on them!! I haven't been there so I have no oppinion to offer.

David