PDA

View Full Version : Flashlight Question

mweinstone
03-14-2007, 15:56
my light is 15 million candle power and 3 lbs. will it come in handy on a thruhike?

1azarus
03-14-2007, 15:59
absolutely. you can use it to dry your wet asolos. and can use it for heat so you can carry a lighter sleeping bag or a top quilt. great thinking outside the box.

D'Artagnan
03-14-2007, 16:01
How do you attach it to your head?

D'Artagnan
03-14-2007, 16:03
Lots of munchies in that pic. ;)

warraghiyagey
03-14-2007, 16:03
my light is 15 million candle power and 3 lbs. will it come in handy on a thruhike?

You can get a good head lamp at any EMS or outfitters for under $30 dollars. They are all the light you will need and usually have at least two different light settings. They are only a few ounces and can last up to 150 hours on one set of batteries. Leave extra batteries in your bounce box or buy them in town.
Some even have a red bulb which is very courteous if you are in a shelter with other hikers.
The three pound light is great for home but if you bring it on your thru, you'll be mailing it home at the first P.O.:) :)

mweinstone
03-14-2007, 16:25
it puts out heat 4 feet away. it has a lighter outlet i put a cig lighter in so its a fire starter too.and im thinking it can replace the stove too. must i leave it home just cause it dosnt strap on my head? when it comes to stockpiling candy, chocolate, tobacco and whisky,... nobody is more prepared for end times barter system than the ski.

mweinstone
03-14-2007, 16:26
it puts out heat 4 feet away. it has a lighter outlet i put a cig lighter in so its a fire starter too.and im thinking it can replace the stove too. must i leave it home just cause it dosnt strap on my head? when it comes to stockpiling candy, chocolate, tobacco and whisky,... nobody is more prepared for end times barter system than the ski.these will be the only forms of currency that matter.

warraghiyagey
03-14-2007, 16:31
it puts out heat 4 feet away. it has a lighter outlet i put a cig lighter in so its a fire starter too.and im thinking it can replace the stove too. must i leave it home just cause it dosnt strap on my head? when it comes to stockpiling candy, chocolate, tobacco and whisky,... nobody is more prepared for end times barter system than the ski.

Have you tested it as a stove?:-?

Sly
03-14-2007, 16:41
Right, don't want to have anything less than a 15,000,000 candle light lamp for the end times. I got two, just in case one breaks!

quicktoez
03-14-2007, 16:48
mweinstone I see you have climbed katahdin so I think you know better but reading the posts was fun especially since they took you serious..

Tin Man
03-14-2007, 17:10
it puts out heat 4 feet away. it has a lighter outlet i put a cig lighter in so its a fire starter too.and im thinking it can replace the stove too. must i leave it home just cause it dosnt strap on my head? when it comes to stockpiling candy, chocolate, tobacco and whisky,... nobody is more prepared for end times barter system than the ski.these will be the only forms of currency that matter.

Does it dehydrate food too? Maybe you could buy fresh food on a thru and dehydrate what you can't eat the first two days out of town. :-?

mweinstone
03-14-2007, 17:17
never been north of new hampshire. this actually could work. it needs 15 hours to charge and lasts 6 on full. 8 on not full. it has a lighter. so heres how we do it. the lighter becomes the stove and the lamp is the sleeping warmth. the dehydrater feature is nice and its a boot dryer . thats alot of stuff. and a lighter. and a bear deterent. night fishing anyone? i think we know whos the pioneer of new technique here.

Spork
03-14-2007, 17:25
never been north of new hampshire. this actually could work. it needs 15 hours to charge and lasts 6 on full. 8 on not full. it has a lighter. so heres how we do it. the lighter becomes the stove and the lamp is the sleeping warmth. the dehydrater feature is nice and its a boot dryer . thats alot of stuff. and a lighter. and a bear deterent. night fishing anyone? i think we know whos the pioneer of new technique here.

Forget the recharge. Get yourself 2175 miles of extension cord and you can use it on demand! Think man, think!

Tin Man
03-14-2007, 17:29
And if you ever get in trouble at night, just point it at the clouds with a filter that simulates a white blaze and we will all come running.

warraghiyagey
03-14-2007, 17:32

I know when I've been had. Good one. I'll remember this.:) :) :)

Spork
03-14-2007, 17:32
And if you ever get in trouble at night, just point it at the clouds with a filter that simulates a white blaze and we will all come running.

Sorta like a "Mat Signal"... Oh, I am so !@#$%ing funny!

NICKTHEGREEK
03-14-2007, 17:33
Use it to illuminate your drop zone when the C-130s deliver your bounce box.

jesse
03-14-2007, 17:34
****Warning******

Do not take this device into the woods. The night creatures will not know that the sun has set. They will not leave their nest. They will all starve, setting off an environmental crisis. Entire species will disappear. The Planet will get so hot, it will not be able to maintain life.

mweinstone
03-14-2007, 17:35
it actually dosnt plug in except to recharge and dosnt work while doing so.and i think it is closer to 6 lbs.it came with a charge cord for car charcging and one for the house. it would have to be used in conjunktion with a folding solar pannel. charging by day while you walk, at night you set up a hooped bivi and heat it with a timer that turnes it on and off. walla! sleep in undis under a sheet and save weight.
im starting to wonder if i should bring this 6 d cell mag , shown here in the "beat the burgler by the door position"instead. its only extra use is as a nut cracker or rolling pin.

Tin Man
03-14-2007, 17:38
Sorta like a "Mat Signal"...

Exactly!

Oh, I am so !@#$%ing funny!

NOT Exactly! :D

Spork
03-14-2007, 17:39
it actually dosnt plug in except to recharge and dosnt work while doing so.and i think it is closer to 6 lbs.it came with a charge cord for car charcging and one for the house.

Don't give up on this so quickly. Even Einstein needed a few tries to get the whole relativity thing....Why not just take your car along?

Tin Man
03-14-2007, 17:41
its only extra use is as a nut cracker or rolling pin.

Uh, be careful or the wife/significant other might get ideas!

mweinstone
03-14-2007, 17:43
how bout this baby. found her in a old apartment i cleaned out. 6 d cells. two floresent settings and a night light. only other use is to play train with your girlfriend. your the kaboose guy. shes the passenger who is lost in the dark.

Mother's Finest
03-14-2007, 17:50
lets bring both lights with us on Sunday. We can set up a beacon signal atop the Pinnacle. You are carrying the lights, because you know I am bringing my take down Remington 870 express. Two pieces is the only way it fits into the pack. That and water, so that we can cook our quarry.

we will be hiking thru some state game lands...

peace
mf

mweinstone
03-14-2007, 17:52
im never walkin aroud with a gun in my beautiful woods. you do as you like.

mweinstone
03-14-2007, 17:55
slingshot. outlasts and outpreforms baby. liveit ,love it, learn it.

mweinstone
03-14-2007, 18:00
flashlight issued to nato troops. sits on a lithium 9 volt. switch for high low. lasts forever. weighes less than a fart.

matty4242
03-14-2007, 18:07
Sorry, but since neither of these portable flashlights have high beams, I strongly recommend you don't take them - you just won't be able to see anything. Keep looking though, I'm sure you will find one. :)

mweinstone
03-14-2007, 18:13
tent disco ball given by jester as prize for poetry contest at winter warmer. confuses the bear while rendering it unsure of its sexual orientation making reproduction less likely and thereby reducing bear hiker hazards. good jester.

Kerosene
03-14-2007, 20:12
Hey, don't knock the value of carrying a light source. I had the pleasure of overnighting at the Manassas Gap Shelter in northern Virginia in October 2001. I started to get concerned when I read in the register about the huge resident wood rat. Fortunately a well prepared camper (carrying a 0-degree sleeping bag) had his portable Bonfire light, which he suspended from the rafters and kept on all night, thereby relegating the massive rat monster thing to the darker corners of the shelter. I still only slept a few minutes at a time that night, and even then I was dreaming about the bugger coming down to lick the salt off my sweaty hair. I should've pushed on to Dick's Dome for the night!

icemanat95
03-14-2007, 20:43
I have a 3 D cell maglite with a 3W LED in it. Very bright white light, focusable and I can illuminate the treeline 100 yards away.

I have got an Surefire G3 nitrolon light coming in soon, uses 3 CR123 cells for power and casts a 100 plus lumen beam...enough to cause physical pain and minor neural disorientation if shined in dark adapted eyes. with a higher output lamp it puts out 200 lumens...very painful in the eyes.

LEGS
03-14-2007, 22:00
slingshot. outlasts and outpreforms baby. liveit ,love it, learn it.

good photo of hikers breakfast there matt,get a lot of miles outta meals like that. its hard to decide between that and "pop tarts and beer," but either one will do the trick. have a good week end man, and like you, i leaves da guns at home when i'm hikin. to heavy!!!! and not needed!!! i got my LEKI POLES!!!!