PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Sleeping bag dry

stickat04
08-15-2003, 11:44
What do you use to keep your sleeping bag dry? The stuff sack I got with my bag is not water proof. And all the water proof stuff sacks I see look heavy.

Waterbuffalo
08-15-2003, 11:50
one word Sil-Nylon (is this really one word?)

celt
08-15-2003, 11:58
The cheapest way is to line your bag's stuff sack with a large garbage bag. After stuffing your bag in to the sack-bag combo compress all the air out and then twist up the end of the gargage bag tightly and then stuff the twist inside the stuff sack. I used this method during my AT thru hike and my bag never got wet. I would get a new garbage bag every once in a while.

Now days I use Hyrdroseal Stuff sacks made by OR. They are wonderfull and I've never had a problem with anything inside them getting wet. OR makes various sizes and models. The models that use a roll top closure, like a canoers wet bag, are my favorite but I also use a compression sack model for my larger sleeping bags. The roll top models weigh 3 ounces, the compression, 6 ounces.

max patch
08-15-2003, 11:59
Stuff your sleeping bag into a kitchen size trash bag which is inside your stuff sack.

Use your pack cover when it rains.

Jumpstart
08-15-2003, 14:16
Ditto on celt's advice. We lined our backpacks with trash-compactor bags, and then just carried our sleeping bags in the stuff sacks they came in. We covered the whole backpack with a sil-nylon rain cover and the only time my bag got wet was when I washed it :) Good luck!

EarlyRiser
08-18-2003, 19:17
Ive had good luck by lining my entire pack with a trash bag and not using a stuff sack but instead stuffing the sleeping bag into the botom of the pack with some dry clothes in the foot area. i find it more efficient. you have to be carful the bag dosnt rip though while your stuffing things in and out. i still use a pack cover just to be sure.

brian
08-18-2003, 22:46
Exped makes lightweight drybags (exped fold drybags), from 250cu inches to 1200 cu inches. I used 2 of them, one for sleeping bag\fleece pullover, and one for other clothing for my 14 day trip, and they kept my clothes dry even in the constant rains I had.

Brian
Thru Hiker Year 201X

Lugnut
08-19-2003, 00:32
I have a Sierra down bag. I line the stuff sack with a sturdy plastic bag and the put that along with my clothes, etc, in a Golite silnylon bag. I use a Golite breeze pack which is supposed to be resistant to rain. I don't use a rain cover on my pack. I am the only thing that has got wet - so far.