PDA

View Full Version : Thermarest "hot bond" gone hard, will it still work?

Rufous Sided Towhee
03-14-2007, 18:42
I have a thermarest repair kit that is about 4 years old. Checked it out today, the packets of adhesive are hard as rocks - will they melt when heated and be okay or are they useless?

Skidsteer
03-14-2007, 18:46
I have a thermarest repair kit that is about 4 years old. Checked it out today, the packets of adhesive are hard as rocks - will they melt when heated and be okay or are they useless?

I've never known one to be 'soft'. At any rate, yes they should be fine at least in my experience.

If you can waste one, it would be easy to test....

Rufous Sided Towhee
03-14-2007, 18:50
I've never known one to be 'soft'. At any rate, yes they should be fine at least in my experience.

If you can waste one, it would be easy to test....

Okay thanks.

Sure wish this stuff weren't so dang expensive ($10 bucks for the kit that has 2 little squeeze packets of adhesive). I'm reluctant to waste one, but I really need to know if they will work for me out there if I need them...

rafe
03-14-2007, 19:03
Read the directions. I've never had to use one, but the directions say to put the foil package in boiling water for a while. Until you do that, the stuff will act and feel like a solid.

saimyoji
03-14-2007, 20:19
They come that way brand new. Use them, they should be fine. :)

No Belay
03-14-2007, 20:33
I just use peel off bicycle tube repair patches and I've never had one fail or peel off. I hike the Grand Canyon quite a bit and use them frequently. Allot easier to use in the middle of the night.

Savor Happy!

Rufous Sided Towhee
03-14-2007, 21:01
Read the directions. I've never had to use one, but the directions say to put the foil package in boiling water for a while. Until you do that, the stuff will act and feel like a solid.

I know that, and I have have used them before, you need to boil the packet for about 3 minutes and, making sure the valve is open on the mattress, use the hot pot to set the adhesive. I just don't remember the adhesive packets being hard as rocks prior to use. :-?

Rufous Sided Towhee
03-15-2007, 19:09
Boiled one, no problem. Went from hard and crunchy to soft and warm and all liquidy goodness after boiling for several minutes.

Skidsteer
03-15-2007, 19:28
Boiled one, no problem. Went from hard and crunchy to soft and warm and all liquidy goodness after boiling for several minutes.

Problem solved! :sun