PDA

View Full Version : Wesser Bald Shelter

Saluki Dave
08-15-2003, 20:22
Just started this because I didn't see one already in the list. This shelter is one of the newer "Nantahala" designs, about 100 yards to the left of the trail northbound. The spring, a concrete box, is about .2 south, at a switchback (get water on your way; it's an uphill hump). Plenty of tenting space. Say hello to Bob the Mouse and Doug the Shelter Snake for me when you stop by.

Youngblood
08-21-2003, 22:32
Photo Link:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1314&papass=&sort=1

Whistler
09-05-2005, 21:43
Water source is good once you get up to it. Lots of campsites all around the west side of the gap.

I highly recommend catching a sunset on the tower! I ran up the grueling 1/2 mile after dinner just in time to see the day's last light falling over Albert, Wayah, Wesser, Cheoha, Rocky Top, Thunderhead, Clingman's... That's a week's worth of walking all in one lovely view. You'll definitely feel pretty smug and satisfied when you make your way back down to camp. Great spot.
-Mark

gekko
12-26-2006, 00:00
I've sat out two of the worst storms of my life at this site. And yet it is still one of my favorite campsites ever. Really beautiful. Watch out for the hill above it though, its a toilet minefield.

Monkeyboy
07-13-2008, 21:00
Stopped there for lunch last week.

Great water source, but it's about .25 miles away from the shelter.

MILLIONS OF BUMBLEBEES. It's like you died and went to bumblebee heaven.

ithai
07-09-2009, 16:08
I have good memories from that shelter :)

Christus Cowboy
07-09-2009, 19:35
I went there the first part of April on a 54 mile circuit loop.... beautiful location especially during a full moon. Water source was really convenient and its really not that far from the NOC....

CrumbSnatcher
07-09-2009, 20:02
this was always one of my favorite watering holes!

Tatertot
10-27-2009, 12:44
I stayed in this shelter 2 years ago on my way down from the noc and over to the bartram to make a nice loop. however on the first day out I ran out of water about mid day and all of the stream were dried up. I finally made it to this shelter and went down the blue blazed trail to find yet again no water!! my kidneys were hurting and I could tell that If i did not get water soon this was not going to be fun. So thankfully it came a huge storm and I was drinking water off the roof of this shelter.

captike
09-09-2014, 15:40
I know this thread is rather old, but can anyone confirm that this shelter doesn't have a privy? I'm guessing from the comment regarding the minefield that it doesn't, but I've seen conflicting information on the web. Thanks.

daddytwosticks
09-09-2014, 15:51
I hiked thru over this past Memorial Day weekend, stopping to take a snack break before heading down into the NOC. The privy was there then. It's behind the shelter a ways hidden in the underbrush. I believe there were bear cables there too. :)

captike
09-09-2014, 16:29
Great! Thanks so much, daddy!

GoldenBear
06-18-2021, 12:53
Water is flowing fine, about .2 of a mile south of the Shelter. Only a few bear cables are presently usable. Privy is behind the shelter.
Overall, pretty average for a shelter.