PDA

View Full Version : Marmot Helium Sleeping Bag

J5man
03-14-2007, 22:55
I am new to all of this and just bought a Marmot Helium bag online (after reading all of the great reviews). However, the zipper is on the left side. Do they make any Marmot bags with the zipper on the right side as an option? I checked out their website and they all looked like they were on the left side. I know this sounds trivial! I sleep on my right side and want a bag with zipper on that side. Any suggestions for a great ultralight bag rated appx 20 degrees with a right sided zipper? Thanks in advance.

Footslogger
03-14-2007, 23:18
I'm interested in the Helium too and also wish it was available with a Right sided zipper. Some of the other Marmot bags are available in Right or Left zips but NOT the Helium.

I still plan to get one though. If you want to get rid of yours shoot me a PM.

'Slogger

Sly
03-14-2007, 23:23
I think most suggest left hand zippers for right hand folks and visa versa as you cross over to zip it. Zipping zippers isn't exactly rocket science so it should be fairly easy to adapt. The Montbell I bought recently came with a right hand zipper. I hope I can figure it out.

Appalachian Tater
03-14-2007, 23:56
I never did figure out why it mattered where the zipper was. The only complaint about the Helium is the half-zipper makes it less versatile in warmer weather.

Almost There
03-15-2007, 00:51
The Helium isn't a warm weather bag, I am left handed and have been using it for over a year just fine. The half zipper saves weight, get a cheap down summer bag. I have a Kelty Light Year 45 down. it's under 2lbs and you can get it for under $100. For summer this works perfect for me, I use my Helium for Fall, Winter, and Spring. I love it!

Footslogger
03-15-2007, 08:50
Reason I personally would like the Helium to be a Right handed zipper has nothing to do with my dominant hand (I'm left handed, by the way). I prefer the zipper side of the bag to face the front/exit side of my tent. Some tents don't allow me to just flip the bag to deal with this. Not a show-stopper either way ...but that's more important to me than how I sleep or what hand I use to unzip.

'Slogger

Ewker
03-15-2007, 09:07
The Helium isn't a warm weather bag, I am left handed and have been using it for over a year just fine. The half zipper saves weight, get a cheap down summer bag. I have a Kelty Light Year 45 down. it's under 2lbs and you can get it for under $100. For summer this works perfect for me, I use my Helium for Fall, Winter, and Spring. I love it!

exact same setup I have.

Footslogger
03-15-2007, 09:15
[quote=Almost There;339279] I have a Kelty Light Year 45 down. it's under 2lbs and you can get it for under $100.

========================================

Interesting that the Kelty LightYear 45 is rated at 1lb/15oz and the Helium is rated at 15 degrees and is lighter. Seems like they could make that bag at a lighter weight.

Here's another option - a 40 degree down bag at 1lb/3oz: http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=48098917&parent_category_rn=4500518&vcat=REI_SEARCH

Just a thought !

'Slogger

Almost There
03-15-2007, 10:45
[quote=Almost There;339279] I have a Kelty Light Year 45 down. it's under 2lbs and you can get it for under $100.

========================================

Interesting that the Kelty LightYear 45 is rated at 1lb/15oz and the Helium is rated at 15 degrees and is lighter. Seems like they could make that bag at a lighter weight.

Here's another option - a 40 degree down bag at 1lb/3oz: http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=48098917&parent_category_rn=4500518&vcat=REI_SEARCH

Just a thought !

'Slogger

I agree, but hey I got it on Steep and Cheap for $40.

Sly
03-15-2007, 11:32
One reason the REI Kilo Flash is lighter is it only has a 57" girth. The Kelty Lightyear has a 66" girth. I'll never buy a bag again without checking that 1st. I'd rather carry a slightly heavier bag and be more comfortable.

Almost There
03-15-2007, 13:11
Yeah, if I cut off my arms I could just fit into the Kilo Flash!

Footslogger
03-15-2007, 13:13
Yeah, if I cut off my arms I could just fit into the Kilo Flash!

=============================

Guess without arms it wouldn't make any difference which side the zipper was on then ??

'Slogger

J5man
03-15-2007, 16:15
I just sent it back today or I would have put it up for sale on here. I got it at campmor for 300 bucks plus shipping so it was a decent deal. Thanks for all the feedback. It was a little tight as well (and I am a little claustrophobic) so I am looking into a roomier bag. Cabela's has one listed (Boundary Waters) recently in Backpacker that got a good review and was recommended for larger guys. I am 6'0 claustrophobic that weighs 200 lbs so a bigger bag (with a right sided full zipper) may be the ticket. Has anyone heard much about the Cabela's Boundary Waters?

Skidsteer
03-15-2007, 17:46
I just sent it back today or I would have put it up for sale on here. I got it at campmor for 300 bucks plus shipping so it was a decent deal. Thanks for all the feedback. It was a little tight as well (and I am a little claustrophobic) so I am looking into a roomier bag. Cabela's has one listed (Boundary Waters) recently in Backpacker that got a good review and was recommended for larger guys. I am 6'0 claustrophobic that weighs 200 lbs so a bigger bag (with a right sided full zipper) may be the ticket. Has anyone heard much about the Cabela's Boundary Waters?

Is it the length of the bag or the girth of the bag or both that makes you feel claustrophobic?

I assume you're talking about a regular(not a long)?

Reason I ask is I've been looking at getting the long and you're about my size......

spittinpigeon
03-15-2007, 18:03

I have the helium, and I'm about your size. When I first got the bag, I was fine, then recently, I started getting claustrophobic in it too. More so when it's cold enough to have to keep it zipped up, but then I get too warm, rock and a hard place.
It has a 'locking zipper' feature that didn't work when I first bought it, now it pisses me off when it sticks in the morning and I have to pee!

mweinstone
03-15-2007, 18:18
my helium eq is beter than yours. it wasnt enough to have my name matty, you had to go and get the same bag.

mweinstone
03-15-2007, 18:21
boy your hard to please. to disable the lock, sew a stich around the last tooth . mines a long and is roomy enough to pig out and be fat in. so stop complainin princess. theres no finner materess in the castle.

rswanson
03-15-2007, 18:22
For $300 or so, you should be able to find a Montbell Super Stretch bag in the 20-30 degree rating. If you don't know about these bags, do some research. They're top-quality products and the stretch design gives you access to far more girth than any mummy bag, at light weights. Make sure you look for the Super Stretch Down Hugger, not the Alpine Down Hugger (which only has a stretchy inner shell).

In relation to which side the zipper is on, this is of importance when you want to mate two bags together or are using a bivy sack with a zipper on one side.

mweinstone
03-15-2007, 18:24
dont make pull out the big guns. motel marmot, say hello to hotel marmot.

Sly
03-15-2007, 18:25
dont make pull out the big guns. motel marmot, say hello to hotel marmot.

Heh, probably still paying that one off!

mweinstone
03-15-2007, 18:29
thats a good price beater. mine was 549 plus. but its the eq. full zip. you got a small zip. yours isnt as waterproof. but you could make it that way. could have. trader. trader to your sleeping bag.trader of sleeping bags. whoops, gotta ****. end rant.

Almost There
03-15-2007, 18:30
Wow, I have the regular and am 6ft, 250...not a problem, but I rarely zip mine up all the way, unless it's really cold, and then as long as my wife doesn't decide to sit on top of me I don't get claustrophobic.(She did this when I first got it, and after I almost threw her several feet off of me decided I get freaked out when pinnned inside something, sorta funny after the fact.)

If you want roomy, you can also look at Big Agnes, but they're a little heavier.

J5man
03-15-2007, 23:40
Thanks RSwanson. Good advice on the Montbell. And to everyone else too, you guys know your stuff!
mweinstone, that is one heckuva bag!!!