PDA

View Full Version : my gear, what do you think?

jettjames
03-14-2007, 23:23
Ok - looks like I am leaving here in NC on friday, starting the thru-hike saturday morning. This is what I've got. how's it sound to you experts. :)

Pack - Osprey Aehter 70
ENO hammock
Maccat deluxe tarp w/ 4 stakes( super lightweight stakes )
Ed Speer pead pod
REI 35 degree synthetic bag
JRB pack cover/gear hammock

marmot shell, not precip a bit heavier
REI Alpine Lakes full zip rain pants

Jetboil stove
extra canister
plastic sport thing
pot holder cozy
2 oz olive oil
1 oz granulated garlic
katadyn Vario water filter

food/snacks for 5 days
extra zip lock freezer bags
garbage bags

camelback hydration bladder
colabsable nalgene canteens in 1 liter and 3 liter size

headlamp
mini maglite
multi tool
3 inch knife
3 straps with buckles
4 small caribeiners
50-75 feet cord
pack towel
pack of wipes/things
one glow stick
first aid stuff with ibu, duct tape, moleskin, neosporin, band aides, anti bacterial wipes, needle/thread, safty pins, imodium
body glide

tooth brush
mini tube tooth paste
floss
charmin
mini deodorant
prescription meds ( not psychological )
foot powder
foot cream
1 oz liquid soap
2 slices hard soap
lip balm
q-tips ( one of my OCD things )
old pair of glasses
sun glasses

clothes
2 bandanas
2 pairs sox
1 boxers shorts
fleece/wool hat
fleece gloves
hiking shorts
under armour tights
smartwool heavier tights
smart wool long sleeve
smartwool short sleeve
Ice breaker wool mid layer sweater ( light/smaller than a fleece)

wearing
synthetic boxers
convertable pants light
under armour t shirt
smartwool light weight long sleeve
thurlo socks
Vasque wasatch boots

extras ( now I know this is a bit, but I won't be getting rid of any of this. I am a photographer and need the camera and ipod)

crocs clipped on out side ( 6 dollar ones from the dollar general)
journal / pen
sharpie
matches
mini lighter
ipod and battery boost thingy
charger
cell phone / charger
camera
3 lenses
CF cards
3 batteries
battery charger

without cameras, but with food and 2 liters water it is about 40 lbs.

but holy ***** that is a lot of stuff. I have not written it out before and am amazed it all fits in the pack ( more or less). everything is in it's own stuff sack, some sil-nylon water proof bags ( the food bag is a dry bag for hanging)

other than the extras, anything sound off?

pt

rafe
03-14-2007, 23:45
Three separate chargers? Pity you can't find one unit that handles all three bits of gear. Three lenses? Why not a zoom? What kind of camera are you taking, anyway? Just curious... I wouldn't take a 35mm film camera, and I sure as heck wouldn't take a dgital SLR either, on a thru-hike.

jettjames
03-14-2007, 23:51
yes it does suck to have 3 charges. luckily they are all smallish, smaller than you might think. I will be taking a digital SLR, I am a professional photog and I just can't go with a lesser system. I am bringing one zoom lens, one macro lens and one short telephoto(100mm).
One thing you need to know is that I, and most photographers, are not sentimental about our cameras ( I of course have some that I love) but consider them a tool. just a tool. they can be replaced. they can be fixed. the great photos come from my vision, not the camera. Now I might use some things on the camera to help interprete my vision, use it like a tool.
I used to be a war photographer and have put my cameras thru hell. They hold up. I can't imagine the hike could be much worse. wetter for sure, but that is what dry bags are made for :)

pt

Appalachian Tater
03-14-2007, 23:52
ear plugs, baby butt wipes, sunscreen if you burn

too many shirts and long underwear, you have to carry it all if you're not wearing it

Have fun!

rafe
03-15-2007, 00:10
One thing you need to know is that I, and most photographers, are not sentimental about our cameras ( I of course have some that I love) but consider them a tool. just a tool. they can be replaced.

I'm pretty serious (http://www.terrapinphoto.com) about photography myself; I've carried a 35mm SLR for about 1000+ miles of AT... way back in the day. 40 pounds total isn't outrageous, though by no means lightweight. Your priorities are your own, of course -- but for me, I decided that carrying a more comprehensive kit (or a more professional camera) were at odds with the larger goal of a long-distance hike. The weight-threshold for my hiking camera declines with each passing year. ;)

ShakeyLeggs
03-15-2007, 00:44
I would dump the mini mag. you have a head lamp. Also I would drop multitool unless it is one of these Multitool (http://www.antigravitygear.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=21_31&products_id=116) {which is what I carry}if not then go with only the knife.
What ya need a glow stick for? I would dump it.
Also dump the slivers of soap. You have liquid Hopefully Doc Bonners. (http://www.antigravitygear.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=207) That stuff will last a long time as only a couple of drops are needed per use.
Also you are overdoing a bit on clothing.

Just my 2gramm worth. But as always YMMV

jettjames
03-15-2007, 01:18
What ya need a glow stick for? I would dump it.
Also dump the slivers of soap. You have liquid Hopefully Doc Doc Bonners. (http://www.antigravitygear.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=207) That stuff will last a long time as only a couple of drops are needed per use.

<br><br>thanks shakey and tater. I have pulled one short sleeve shirt and the mid weight long johns.
<br>as for the glow stick, well, it is light weight and you never know when you'll run into a spontaneous rave! no, seriously, i figure it is light weight and you do never know. but I can see not taking it.
<br>as for the soap, it is not doc bonners. actually doc bonners is not that great even though everyone thinks it is. my family runs a large hand made soap company and the soap i have is one of our own.<br>and i was thinking of dumping the mag lite.<br>too many 'small' things add up really quick, don't they?<br><br>pt<br><br><br>

rafe
03-15-2007, 08:43
JettJames... at this point, with two days to departure, other peoples' advice isn't worth much. You'll figure it out and make changes as you go. There's a relatively easy blue blaze to Suches, and a post office there, as I recall. :) It sounds like you've got your bases covered. Like I said, 40 lbs isn't outrageous. Have a good hike, take some nice pictures.

booney_1
03-15-2007, 08:47
That 35 degree synthethic bag might be questionable. You'll see temperatures in the mid-20's in NC during march. Everybody sleeps differently, some people prefer it cool. But I've always found sleeping bag ratings to be very liberal...ie a 35 degree bag might be good only to 45. A lot of people use a warmer bag until they they get past mount rogers..

Have fun

Peaks
03-15-2007, 08:48
Walasi Yi/Neels Gap/Mountain Crossings is only 30 miles up the trail. Good place to evaluate what you really want to carry.

doggiebag
03-15-2007, 08:48
Where's your wet weather gear?

Outlaw
03-15-2007, 09:43
Where's your wet weather gear?

marmot shell, not precip a bit heavier
REI Alpine Lakes full zip rain pants

JJ,

Do you need to carry both a Camelback AND a 1 liter & 3 liter Nalgene Canteen? Also, what are the 3 straps w/ buckles for? the 4 'biners? Maybe you really just need 1 'biner for bear bagging. Also, 50 ft. of 550 para cord is more than sufficient. Also, do you need a pack towel AND 2 bandanas? What is the Sharpie pen for?

I agree with the other posts, deep six the mini mag and glow stick and perhaps some clothing may be redundant.

Good luck with your trek!:D

Newb
03-15-2007, 09:48
I saw a guy last year with 50 feet of climbing rope, an ice axe, and crampons. In June. In Maryland.

jettjames
03-15-2007, 10:52
thanks guys, I might have an extra canteen and some extra rope, but to be honest I am usally the guy with the extra stuff. I learned a long time ago that , for me, I'd rather carry extra 25' of 550 cord or an extra 2 oz empty canteen that run out. I mean if you need the extra cors, then you reall yneed cord. Once in the Army we ran out of water pretty far out with no resupply, and I swore never to be low or run out again. I used to carry 6-7 quarts of water wheile others carried 2, but I never ran out and often had to share. Just one of those things.
Also I am a bit anal about having what you need and what you might need. I go trout fishing for one day with a small pack full of in case gear, extra clothes, charmin, matches, water, food, poncho and cord to make a quick shelter, etc, etc.
I know I am leaving soon and can change out at Neels if I need to. Hopefully I won't need to swap much if anything
as for the bag, I also have the pea pod which is a 30 degree rated down bag tpe item for hammock sleeping.
the straps are for making stuff sacks compression sacks or for putting something on the outside of the pack. bieners? well just extras. I guess I can cut those down :)

Thanks again for your ideas guys. I am just doing the normal ( i think/hope) freak out right before I leave.

pt

saimyoji
03-15-2007, 11:06
I won't go into specifics, but you are DOOMED.....

...to have a great time. :D

Snow tonite in the east. :-?

mountain squid
03-15-2007, 16:35
In addition to what has been mentioned:

hand sanitizer
TP
eating utensil
maps/Companion/Wingfoot
whistle
did any mention to lose the deodorant?
don't forget ID and credit/atm cards and important phone #'s
what is a plastic sport thing?
isn't the Jetboil already insulated? if so, no need for pot holder cozy.
tweezers (part of swiss army knife?)(needed for pulling ticks up North)
nail clippers (or scissors that could be part of swiss army knife?)
don't know how much a dry bag weighs, but a sil-nylon bag is sufficient for food

Consider bouncing some of those chargers.

Anyway, stay warm in that hammock and 35F bag.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Programbo
03-15-2007, 18:10
Sounds like one of the better gear selections I`ve read from rookie thru-hikers since I`ve arrived on this board (I use the phrase rookie thru-hiker not to imply one who is thru-hiking for the first time but rather one who seems to not have enough backpacking experience to already know what they do or don`t need on a longer hike)..Pack is a reasonable size and designed to handle the weight..Hopefully the early weather will co-operate and that 35 degree bag will be enough up in the hammock (When they rated it at 35 degrees they figured you`d be in a tent)..Have fun!

hopefulhiker
03-15-2007, 19:20
I know a lot of people that carried less water containers but water is vital.. In 05 water was everywhere on the AT in the spring.. In the summer I carreid a 1 liter platy, a two liter platy and a 32 oz gatoraid bottle.. i cameled up at the water source.. I did not see the sense of carrying a couple of litres to a well known water source.. But if you are going to carry something extra, a water bottle is a good thing to carry...

Appalachian Tater
03-15-2007, 19:21
A 2 liter platypus and a one-liter soda bottle (for mixing lemonade, etc.) is all you need.

dloome
03-15-2007, 23:07
That's a lot of weight and what I see as some unnecessary gear, but you can't do much without switching some of your big ticket items. You'll decide in short order what you need and don't need and if you want to invest in a lighter pack, shelter, etc. Easy to do on the AT's frequent outfitters. For now, here's some suggestions.

-Lose some weight on water containers. A couple soda bottles + a Platy for camp works well. Lose the filter, use Aqua Mira.
-Deodorant? Useless.
-Soap? Not for long.
-Charmin? Like the detergent? Don't use that in any natural water sources.
-Headlamp AND a maglite AND a glowstick...
-You're carrying bandanas and a ton of clothing fabric, you don't need the pack towl.
-Straps and buckles? Caribiners?
-Carry three pairs of socks.
-Lose some of your clothing when you find out what you don't need. That is a lot of clothing.
-Multi tool AND a knife? Redundant.
-Look VERY carefully at anything requiring a battery.

Honestly, I think you're going to seriously redefine your priorities in the first couple weeks. You've got a ton of stuff I'd pretty much guarantee you'll never use, or won't be carrying for long, but you'll figure it out soon enough. Just pay attention to what you use and don't use, and note redundant items, find multiple uses for the same thing. As far as clothing, keep it simple: One or two base layers, insulation appropriate for the season, lightweight rain gear.

Your clothing list can take awhile to dial in, but to give you an idea, here's what I carry.
Wearing all the time/minimum amount worn:
-Asic running shorts, liner removed.
-Lightweight synthetic t-shirt
-Mesh running cap
-DeFeet wool running socks.

In pack:
-DESIGNATED DRY BASE LAYER/NEVER WORN WHILE HIKING: Craft running tights, Polartec microfleece long sleeve shirt. Mostly use these clothes just for sleeping in.

-INSULATION: Down vest, or Patagonia Puffball pullover for wetter/colder conditions. Weighs the same or less as a midweight fleece and is MUCH warmer.

-RAIN GEAR/SHELL: Golite Whim pants, Golite Virga rain jacket, Golite Wisp wind shirt.

-EXTREMITIES: Smartwool beanie, rain shell mittens. Add in balaclava for colder conditions.
That's all of it.

Just make sure you develop a specific function for each item of clothing, i.e., what situation you'd wear it in. I think you'll soon find you've got too much. If you're carrying extra clothing in case stuff gets dirty, forget it. Get used to being dirty and stinky all the time. Hope some of this helped. Good luck, and have fun on your hike! I still have two months until I start the PCT... :mad: AARGGH

Painted Turtle
03-16-2007, 16:58
I'm pretty serious (http://www.terrapinphoto.com) about photography myself; I've carried a 35mm SLR for about 1000+ miles of AT... way back in the day. 40 pounds total isn't outrageous, though by no means lightweight. Your priorities are your own, of course -- but for me, I decided that carrying a more comprehensive kit (or a more professional camera) were at odds with the larger goal of a long-distance hike. The weight-threshold for my hiking camera declines with each passing year. ;)

I too used to carry a 35 with two additional lenes, three fliters, extention tubes. I now carry a Cannon S3 IS with one filter (circular Polarizer). Cut down on the clothes, get rid of the mini mag. You have way to much.

Painted Turtle
03-16-2007, 17:02
<br><br>thanks shakey and tater. I have pulled one short sleeve shirt and the mid weight long johns.
<br>as for the glow stick, well, it is light weight and you never know when you'll run into a spontaneous rave! no, seriously, i figure it is light weight and you do never know. but I can see not taking it.
<br>as for the soap, it is not doc bonners. actually doc bonners is not that great even though everyone thinks it is. my family runs a large hand made soap company and the soap i have is one of our own.<br>and i was thinking of dumping the mag lite.<br>too many 'small' things add up really quick, don't they?<br><br>pt<br><br><br>

Onces make LBs

hopefulhiker
03-16-2007, 19:21
I would weigh everything, post all the weights and the total weight and let people see what they think... and see what you think ....

rafe
03-16-2007, 19:29
I believe Jett has announced that he's gone... Wonder why anyone would ask for a gear list critique 3 days before leaving for Springer? :-?

hopefulhiker
03-16-2007, 19:37
I wish I was going!

Programbo
03-16-2007, 20:14
I believe Jett has announced that he's gone... Wonder why anyone would ask for a gear list critique 3 days before leaving for Springer? :-?

Why do people show up at Springer not even knowing what gear they need for even an overnight trip?...I know it`s a free country and anyone can do most anything they wish but I can`t conceive of arriving at Springer with the intent of doing a thru hike and having literally no backpacking experience at all or so little that one doesn`t even know what they will or won`t need or how much weight they can comfortably carry.. But that`s just me

jettjames
03-16-2007, 22:28
Why do people show up at Springer not even knowing what gear they need for even an overnight trip?...I know it`s a free country and anyone can do most anything they wish but I can`t conceive of arriving at Springer with the intent of doing a thru hike and having literally no backpacking experience at all or so little that one doesn`t even know what they will or won`t need or how much weight they can comfortably carry.. But that`s just me

I have more than enough backpacking experience. been out for days and weeks, but never for months. just wanted to hear from some voices of thru hike experience. and much of my gear was just replaced for this trip. my other stuff was a bit old. I know what I can carry and I know that I am more than a little OCD about being prepared and having back ups of most things. so the mini mag is out. :) thanks. among other stuff. i took some of the sage advice offered.

I'm at the Hiker Hostel tonite leaving in the AM. I'll be the one on the trail throwing gear into the wind!!!

doggiebag
03-16-2007, 22:51
I have more than enough backpacking experience. been out for days and weeks, but never for months. just wanted to hear from some voices of thru hike experience. and much of my gear was just replaced for this trip. my other stuff was a bit old. I know what I can carry and I know that I am more than a little OCD about being prepared and having back ups of most things. so the mini mag is out. :) thanks. among other stuff. i took some of the sage advice offered.

I'm at the Hiker Hostel tonite leaving in the AM. I'll be the one on the trail throwing gear into the wind!!!

Hoooahhh! It's freezing rain here in the DC area dude. I hope it's much nicer for you at the Hostel. I'll be there soon nuff. Take your time so I can catch up.

Regards,
M