PDA

View Full Version : you guys, the worlds ending

mweinstone
03-15-2007, 08:05
why arent we honeing our wilderness survival skills and banding together into an AT gang so we can roam the countryside scavenging in the aftermath of the fall of the dollar instead of rotting in place. serious question.

LeeF
03-15-2007, 08:16
You didn't get the memo with the rally points and gear list already.....;)

RadioFreq
03-15-2007, 08:25
why arent we honeing our wilderness survival skills and banding together into an AT gang so we can roam the countryside scavenging in the aftermath of the fall of the dollar instead of rotting in place. serious question.

Who says we're not? When the end comes those of us practiced in the art of long-term backpacking WILL be doing just as you say....roaming the countryside scavenging for survival. But we'll be doing it with high-end backpacks, alcohol stoves, leki poles and lots o' capilene.

Do you think there will still be "trail angels"?

rafe
03-15-2007, 08:31
Do you think there will still be "trail angels"?

Do you think there will still be AYCE buffets?

Footslogger
03-15-2007, 08:37
Do you think there will still be AYCE buffets?

================================

Yeah ...but they're going to be called AYCY (all you can YOGI)

'Slogger

moxie
03-15-2007, 09:01
As a backpacking family that lives in a very rural area we are much better prepared when things go wrong. In the ice storm we lost all power for over two weeks and roads were closed for days. In the last two hurricanes that hit we lost power for nine and fourteen days and fallen trees blocked all the roads. We just break out our backpacking gear and life goes on with hardly a bump. We have the gear to survive and the experience. There is no question that a backpacker is extremly well prepared for what life, George Bush, global warming, blizzards, floods, wars, the economy, or pandemics may bring us.

unl1988
03-15-2007, 09:31
After the fall of the dollar, won't the ground squirrels take over? How will we deal with them?

And can someone forward me the rally points and gear list prior to the crash of the internet? If not, I will just have to wander up and down the trail on my own . . . . again.

Newb
03-15-2007, 09:51
In preparation for the end of the world I'm honing my human hunting skills and slowly building my tolerance for the meat of the "long pig". I've been eating Hufu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hufu) with every meal. Just in case.

johnny quest
03-15-2007, 10:14
survivability in any breakdown-of-society scenario has nothing to do with wilderness skills and everything with the abilities to
1. adapt to new, foreign and perhaps frightening realities and
2. adapt to and commit violence.

saimyoji
03-15-2007, 10:26
survivability in any breakdown-of-society scenario has nothing to do with wilderness skills and everything with the abilities to
1. adapt to new, foreign and perhaps frightening realities and
2. adapt to and commit violence.

You have just provided the recipe for the demise of the human race. Congratulations. :rolleyes: When I kill you and your family for your sleeping bags, remember what you wrote here. :cool:

(kidding....I could never kill for a sleeping bag....now that avatar on the other hand..... :D )

saimyoji
03-15-2007, 10:27
Who says we're not? ....alcohol stoves....

You're not. Ditch the alky stove, pic up a zip.

Blue Jay
03-15-2007, 10:40
After the fall of the dollar, won't the ground squirrels take over?

Yes, they already have.

LeeF
03-15-2007, 10:56
Don't worry. Its taken care of.

The aliens I met at Thomas Knob Shelter one cold November night told me they would come back and save all the backpackers. They promised a reunion with Elvis, a AYCE peanut butter and banana sandwich buffet and an introduction to Bigfoot. One thing troubles me though, they said they would kick us all out at the first sign of a debate about hiking sticks, water filters, trail shelters, killing mice, bear bagging, or politics.

ASUGrad
03-15-2007, 13:26
That does it. I'm buying Chivas instead of Inver House

Tha Wookie
03-15-2007, 13:31

Now you're talking.

www.thawookie.com/wildskills.htm (http://www.thawookie.com/wildskills.htm)

mambo_tango
03-15-2007, 13:58
why arent we honeing our wilderness survival skills.

And you know that in the end times girls only go for the guys with skills!:D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-15-2007, 14:02
In preparation for the end of the world I'm honing my human hunting skills and slowly building my tolerance for the meat of the "long pig". I've been eating Hufu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hufu) with every meal. Just in case.You are a sick, sick man. Only the toes are edible.
Ditch the alky stove, pic up a zip.A wood burning stove for sure, but one with a blow tube instead of a fan.
www.thawookie.com/wildskills.htm (http://www.thawookie.com/wildskills.htm):::Checks to see if dinosaurs are allowed to take this course. We didn't do too well during the last ice age...:::

Gray Blazer
How many people are going to be disappointed if the world doesn't end in our lifetime?

Newb
I've seen Mad Max. We're all gonna have to get new wave haircuts and build crossbows.

mambo_tango
You know, like nunchuck skills, bowhunting skills, computer hacking skills...

Tin Man
03-15-2007, 14:08
Checks to see if dinosaurs are allowed to take this course. We didn't do too well during the last ice age...:::

I think meteors were also hazardous to dinosaurs...maybe dinos can take a prep course on avoiding hypothermia and falling objects? :-?

Tha Wookie
03-15-2007, 14:11
How many people are going to be disappointed if the world doesn't end in our lifetime?

In the words of the late great Hank Williams Sr., "No matter how I struggle and strive, I'll never get out of this world alive."

But seriously, who's saying the world is going to end? Do you mean on the species level through extinction, or a more death star fireworks ending?

spittinpigeon
03-15-2007, 14:12

Gold Diggers.

IdahoDavid
03-15-2007, 14:20
You are all missing the big picture. The end of civilization also means the end of technology and the end of the Internet. (How will the the rumors and paranoia spread then?) We need to get working on that alcohol fueled, wireless, lightweight laptop formed from ripstop, twigs and gravel along with some way of linking them globally. There will be no way of organizing effective raids on those fat-cat-GOP compounds and their stockpiles of food and weapons if we can't communicate. How will we know where the remaining Walmarts are still operating forthe last few precious grease pots? I don't want to imagine such a world, but we need to prepare now!:eek:

Dances with Mice
03-15-2007, 15:18
why arent we honeing our wilderness survival skills and banding together into an AT gang so we can roam the countryside scavenging in the aftermath of the fall of the dollar instead of rotting in place. serious question. Did you get another call from MS?

woodsy
03-15-2007, 15:41
We don't worry about the value of the dollar in the country. We've got Moose, Deer, Rabbit, Partridge, Fish etc. readily available for tough times . No need to sweat the small stuff, move to the country where life is sustainable.
And growing your own veggies is a big plus, get with the program.

Brrrb Oregon
03-15-2007, 15:48
My husband has a friend who's Mormon. Apparently, in his stake there are guys who come around and check how diligent you've been about putting up the 1 year food supply advocated by the Mormon higher-ups. This guy, at that time a big muscular bachelor with a healthy appetite, was good for about 2 or 3 days out.

When his brethren protested that he might need the recommended food store, he replied: "It's OK. I know where the rest of you live."

The survivalists who live down around Grants Pass, OR (selected because of its near-total strategic unimportance, I kid you not), all have a good stock of both seed and ammunition. Apparently, the end of the world isn't expected to be a one-year thing. Even now, they deal in cash and barter....there is not much of a paper trail that would lead anyone with access to bank or government records to any of them. They plan on being the in-house Swiss: As long as the rest of you leave us alone out here in the hills, we have nothing against anybody....but we're armed, so don't confuse peaceful with pacifism. As long as they don't abuse their children or keep anyone prisoner or any of that David Koresh stuff, I think their chances of being left alone are pretty good. If the world comes to a halt, those with greater firepower will have bigger fish to fry. That's what they're banking on.

On a serious note, I had a Mormon friend who said he lost his job when his kids were little. They had enough money on hand for several months' rent; his family found their food supply to be a great comfort for the months during which he was looking for the new job.

I'm not thinking the Appalachians are necessarily the best place to live high off the land, but it obviously has been done. You'll want some seed corn, I would think, whatever else you've got. I'm not sure I'd head to them thar hills in Spandex or neon colors, though. Unlike our vast federal wilderness areas in the West, those hills aren't empty, are they? Quite a few of the residents have hounds, I would guess. That is why an intelligent person would stay there, because they like to keep hounds. As for the unintelligent, they're more dangerous than the other ones, the world around. I would think that showing up humble and useful, but not pathetic, would be the best course.

I hope you don't need it, but: Good luck. And hey, everybody has to die some day.
(Bing-ba-bing-bing-bing-bing-bing-bing-bing)

mweinstone
03-15-2007, 18:04
your stratages are weak and based on the faulty premis that at least in some corner of your world there will be control and a space to execute plans, use stockpiles and kill. come with me . lower. to a humble place where survival is at its greatest hope. drink my water and get diareah. i dont gather wood and i light no fires. i drink poison water and hope to outlive the effects long enough to reach a place of better water. but for now, we start in the citys with river water. straight. a few blocks away shots tell of water battles and food fights.everyone knows the few of us who drink riverwater and eat only rats have nothing they want. we die of parasites and disentary but rarely does anyone look to us to steal anything. our only possesions are our rags and our snarewires we hunt with. we eat our rats raw or dryed but never use fire as this would atract others. when a newcomer comes to us he is ready to eat raw rat and drink river water and sleep only in the mass latrene areas in feces. any other spot gets you killed for the spot. we only live. we dont thrive. and we outlast untill the numbers reduce and the will of men breaks and truly we come out of our filth and find new health and work hard to prevent more death. but never kill.

mweinstone
03-15-2007, 18:08
if the choice is to kill or live like this, i choose to live this way.killing is what gets us here where we dont want to be.

TOW
03-15-2007, 18:24
good question.

i think peoples alarms should be on high alert right now, what with the feds folding in on loan institutions and all because people who have bad credit histories who were able to get loans that didn't pay them back and then the banks raising the rates............

it's gonna get hairy people and if you don't think it's going affect you, your badly mistaken.

TOW
03-15-2007, 18:27
i'm convinced that if one is going to live off the land, then you better be prepared to eat anything.

bugs, snakes, frogs, tree twigs, deer doodoo and so on.................

mweinstone
03-15-2007, 18:32
yeah ! wanderer! we are so a team. im with him. were gonna need bacon though. cant run out of bacon at all costs. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm frog bacon...........

Brrrb Oregon
03-15-2007, 18:51
good question.

i think peoples alarms should be on high alert right now, what with the feds folding in on loan institutions and all because people who have bad credit histories who were able to get loans that didn't pay them back and then the banks raising the rates............

it's gonna get hairy people and if you don't think it's going affect you, your badly mistaken.

It reminds me of the quote about Franklin Roosevelt.
"Mr. President, if your programs work, you will go down in history as America's greatest president."
"If my programs don't work, I'll go down in history as America's last president."

Do you think that banks, given the choice between writing off bad debts and ending civilization--and therefore business--as we know it are going to decide to just let the whole mess collapse so that our cities are full of rat-eating gangs engaging in hand-to-hand combat over the little bit of fuel left to ward off the cold?

That wouldn't be very profitable, would it?

As for bacon, better learn how to get yourself some sugar and salt.

OrionTheRanger
03-15-2007, 19:30
You didn't get the memo with the rally points and gear list already.....;)

I didnt get this either, could some one send it to me please?

Gray Blazer
03-15-2007, 19:46
In the words of the late great Hank Williams Sr., "No matter how I struggle and strive, I'll never get out of this world alive."

But seriously, who's saying the world is going to end? Do you mean on the species level through extinction, or a more death star fireworks ending?

I don't know. I'm not an alarmist. I just know there are a lot of people out there who are convinced the world is going to end and Jesus is going to come and it's going to be soon. Well, it could be and it might not be. I will be prepared (or try to be, I'm Mormon, too, probably more like Seldom Seen Smith). I just have this feeling that a lot of people are disappointed when it doesn't happen in their lifetime and this has been happening since the 1st century AD. Matt, I don't think I'll join you by the riverside, but I'll be sure to visit you. I thought the point of your thread was to get to the AT to survive. I know a lot of good springs out there. We may have to scavenge ala Warren Doyle. I've never tried deer scat before. I'm sure there are many ways to prepare it.

Dances with Mice
03-15-2007, 19:48

it's gonna get hairy people and if you don't think it's going affect you, your badly mistaken.Never seen anything like it before, have we (http://www.fdic.gov/bank/historical/s&l/)?

bfitz
03-15-2007, 19:51
Okay, so strategies for preparing for the apocalypse...

1. Live next door to mormons. While I wouldn't want to be one, they make excellent neighbors I speak from experience. Except they won't play football with you on sunday afternoon, as if that was something god wanted.

2. Learn to use the nun-chuks, a bow, and how to hack computers to impress chicks. Actually, you can probably get away with just saying you can hack computers because you likely won't encounter too many functional ones in mad max world.

3. Stockpile bacon.

And I'd like to add one of my own...

4. Watch the following movies and others discussed in matthewskis "end of time" thread for pointers about wasteland survival, dirt-driving, and how to handle mutants and things...
I love those post apocalypse movies, they're like a hobby of mine...

Dune Warriors (watching right now...)
Warlords of the 21st century
Escape from New York/L.A.
Delicatessan
Damnation Alley
Mad Max Movies
Raiders of the Sun
Tank Girl
Wheels of Fire
Cyborg
Deathrace 2000
The Boy and His Dog
Defcon 4
Future kill
Exterminators of the Year 3000
Steel Dawn
Judge Dredd
After the Fall of New York
Rollerball

Any others?

One lesson I've learned from watching these movies, is it's the guys who stockpile gasoline and ammunition who end up with all the chicks.

LEGS
03-15-2007, 19:53
You are all missing the big picture. The end of civilization also means the end of technology and the end of the Internet. (How will the the rumors and paranoia spread then?) We need to get working on that alcohol fueled, wireless, lightweight laptop formed from ripstop, twigs and gravel along with some way of linking them globally. There will be no way of organizing effective raids on those fat-cat-GOP compounds and their stockpiles of food and weapons if we can't communicate. How will we know where the remaining Walmarts are still operating forthe last few precious grease pots? I don't want to imagine such a world, but we need to prepare now!:eek:

shelter journals, just like we do now!!!

bfitz
03-15-2007, 19:56
Also keep some handy reference books on medicine, chemistry and physics, engineering how-to manuals, that kind of thing. And try to learn how to play every song you've ever loved on the guitar.

Skidsteer
03-15-2007, 20:04
And learn how to make your own beer, wine, and whiskey.

Brrrb Oregon
03-15-2007, 20:41

If you know how to do that, I think you can barter for medical care and mechanics....and definitely music. ;)

And that's the thing. It's silly to try to be able to do everything for yourself. Better to do what the Mormons do and even what the survivalists in Grants Pass do....everybody stocks up a lot, everybody tries to be as ready as they can to go it alone, but everybody also makes the connections so they won't be going it alone unless absolutely necessary.

bfitz
03-15-2007, 20:53
Wow. If you're the guy with all the gas and all the booze, you definitely get all the chicks.

bfitz
03-15-2007, 20:54
And all the ammunition, of course.

Skidsteer
03-15-2007, 21:04
Wow. If you're the guy with all the gas and all the booze, you definitely get all the chicks.

And all the ammunition, of course.

I can make bullets too. :)

Hope I never have to though. All this stuff puts a major cramp on leisure time.

greentick
03-15-2007, 21:04
After the fall of the dollar, won't the ground squirrels take over? How will we deal with them?...

Why, we'll eat them of course.:D

Can you say squirrel bacon matthewski?

Tin Man
03-15-2007, 21:39

Homemade brew/vino/spirits? Egad, I had better start stockpiling the real stuff now!

greentick
03-15-2007, 21:52
I can make bullets too. :)

Hope I never have to though. All this stuff puts a major cramp on leisure time.

I hear ya. The great thing is that you can still shoot em for fun. I still have stocks from Y2K reloading. Took me 4 years to shoot up all my 9mm.

Lion King
03-15-2007, 22:01
As with all Great Empires the Hiking Empire will too crumble after a few generations.

Oh sure, after the Nukes blow all the morons into smitherens and the towns are only inhabited by cock-a-roaches and crackheads who have so polluted their bodies that they will not even be effected by the fall out the few who are in any way able will head to high ground in hopes of starting over.

Which will be important, as after the fallout, the Ice caps will melt, flooding and cleaning up all the debris and bodies, which will make the water and land not only unfertile but also uninhabitable and toxic.

The lucky few who keep their filters clean, or thso whow have horded iodine may live for a while, but it is hikers like myself who have refused to filter or treat their water ever that will be able to stomach even the most disgusting Post Apocalyptic Sewage water for drinking and cooking.

We will eventually break into groups...the Go Liters will live high on peaks and in crags easily jumping from peak to peak with their mutated New Balance All terrian feet, the go heavy or go homes will wander the land as always the vagabonds searching for life and experiance and adventure.

Hiker Politics will come into play when one group insists they are right and the other are wrong and this will eventually lead to a war within the survivors with stone hardened bread and explosives made from already shaky MSR stoves.

Just remember...you heard it hear first.:D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-15-2007, 22:07
Sounds like a brave new world :D

Tin Man
03-15-2007, 22:10
Hmm, sounds like there will be a new dimension to yogi-ing food. {blam blam thank you mam, I'll take your amo with that squirrel steak}

Lion King
03-15-2007, 22:23
Lord Of The Privies

Skidsteer
03-15-2007, 22:26
Lord Of The Privies

Shelter Rats from Outer Space

Lion King
03-15-2007, 22:31
The Trailocaust...The Southbounding Go liters try to force their Final Plan onto us... :D

Lion King
03-15-2007, 22:32
Plan should have been "Solution"...I cant edit...:banana :banana :banana

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-15-2007, 22:35
Creature of Blood Mountain

Skidsteer
03-15-2007, 22:38
Hammockers gone wild

Lion King
03-15-2007, 22:40
Night Of The Living Deadbeats

BR360
03-15-2007, 23:10
Like Shackleton's crew. Yeah. That's our future.

Senor Quack
03-15-2007, 23:54
The Burn of the Stew

Skidsteer
03-15-2007, 23:55
The Freezer Bag Chronicles

Tha Wookie
03-16-2007, 12:39
Lord Of The Privies

LOL good one LK

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-16-2007, 12:47
Jester Red Riding Hood and the Big Bad Lone Wolf.

Dances with Mice
03-16-2007, 13:50
Wait. Didn't the world already end? I thought that had already happened. I swear I saw an article in the newspaper about it.

I forget. Maybe I'm thinking of some other world.

mweinstone
03-16-2007, 15:25
what did i miss? i was out getting a pack of smokes. this is my gathering suit i made for the end end times. thats about a year after the end when its safe enough to hunt again. all the fools that would kill ,..did. now us hunters can unbury our stashed weapons and shoot birds for people to get some freash food. birds will be the only huntable animals. all others poisoned and ate. and airpump anyload rifles will come into their own as they kept lewis and clark alive and will feed you too. i have spoken.

TOW
03-16-2007, 15:59
what did i miss? i was out getting a pack of smokes. this is my gathering suit i made for the end end times. thats about a year after the end when its safe enough to hunt again. all the fools that would kill ,..did. now us hunters can unbury our stashed weapons and shoot birds for people to get some freash food. birds will be the only huntable animals. all others poisoned and ate. and airpump anyload rifles will come into their own as they kept lewis and clark alive and will feed you too. i have spoken.
wow, what a stash of weapons you got there dude............i got an idea, come on and move in with me and then we'll go out and preach on the streets. me with my Bible and you with those guns. if they don't want to get the message by my great words, i'm a legend in my own mind you know, then you just point one of them fire sticks at them and they will convert real fast................after we have gotten a bunch of new converts we'll start our own commune and put them people to work to go out and gather off the land for us..........what do ya say?

OrionTheRanger
03-16-2007, 16:03
I didnt get this either, could some one send it to me please?

hate to repeat myself, but i got no responce last time.

mweinstone
03-16-2007, 16:18
Thems Gittin Buryd Out Back With The Whisky,chocolate And Tobbaco.an A Dug Up Afer Dems Sick Folks Die Off A Spell.

woodsy
03-16-2007, 16:24
The year is 2012:
http://survive2012.com/

I've got my Grizzly Adams costume ready.

mweinstone
03-16-2007, 16:25
putting a bottle out gets rid of alot of bodys in the end times. they fight over it all night. dozens of your enemys fall. and all for a drink! no shooting needed.

LeeF
03-16-2007, 16:28
Ok, such a polite request can't be ignored.

The rally point in N.C. is on Curtis Creek. Just hike upstream the watchers will see you first and guide you in. There's room in the cave for everyone. Don't follow the broken limbs. That trail is for the uninvited.

The gear list includes Glocks and Grits. No neon colors on tents or coloring.

mweinstone
03-16-2007, 16:29
"killing me softly with his words, killing me softly......."

see,.. even in battle im nice and give stuff away! its just who i am.

THE THREAD
03-16-2007, 22:17
drats i see you made it out alive. the world may end but i will persist. have one more drink you fool and taste some of this mosquito porridge

Ronin
03-16-2007, 22:23
birds will be the only huntable animals. all others poisoned and ate.

Nooo!! Don't eat what's been poisoned! :eek: "Learn to swim...!"

Blue Jay
03-16-2007, 22:33
"killing me softly with his words, killing me softly......."

see,.. even in battle im nice and give stuff away! its just who i am.

Now wait just a minute, this means you actually can type english and the rest is an act. I'm very disillusioned.

Brrrb Oregon
03-16-2007, 22:35
wow, what a stash of weapons you got there dude............i got an idea, come on and move in with me and then we'll go out and preach on the streets. me with my Bible and you with those guns. if they don't want to get the message by my great words, i'm a legend in my own mind you know, then you just point one of them fire sticks at them and they will convert real fast................after we have gotten a bunch of new converts we'll start our own commune and put them people to work to go out and gather off the land for us..........what do ya say?

Oh, great. A denomination of one backed up by an army of one.

Shoot me now.

TOW
03-17-2007, 15:27
Oh, great. A denomination of one backed up by an army of one.

Shoot me now.
hahahaha!:D

Programbo
03-17-2007, 16:09
If I may quote Agent K, "There's always an Alien Battle Cruiser...or a Korlian Death Ray, or...an intergalactic plague about to wipe out life on this planet, and the only thing that lets people get on with their hopeful little lives is that they don't know about it."

bfitz
03-17-2007, 18:54
Now wait just a minute, this means you actually can type english and the rest is an act. I'm very disillusioned.

He cut and pasted from the lyric sheet.

Jester2000
03-18-2007, 17:11
I've seen Mad Max. We're all gonna have to get new wave haircuts and build crossbows.

I've already bought my post-apocalypse a$$less chaps (note: I am aware that all chaps are a$$less).

AND I have a water gun that fires ice cubes. Will create ammo using the solar version of the BSR Fridge Backpack.

bfitz
03-18-2007, 17:42
hate to repeat myself, but i got no responce last time.We will travel to Las Vegas, ask for me, I'm "The Walkin' Dude", I'll make sure you get hooked up.

Skidsteer
03-18-2007, 17:55
We will travel to Las Vegas, ask for me, I'm "The Walkin' Dude", I'll make sure you get hooked up.

I was wondering when the first 'Stand' reference would pop up.

Darwin again
03-18-2007, 18:22
You know, like nunchuck skills, bowhunting skills, computer hacking skills...

I made nunchuks out of a cut-up mop handle once. The very first time I tried them, I hit myself so hard in the back of the head I saw stars and had to bend over to keep from passing out.
Never messed with them again.