PDA

View Full Version : Best Place to Get Off the Trail Near Hot Springs

hiker_sue
03-15-2007, 09:15
Hi All

I will be hiking the section from Springer to around Hot Springs and will be leaving my vehicle at the hiker hostel. What's the best (cheapest) option for getting off the trail near Hot Springs to get to a bus station so I can return to the hiker hostel and my car?

I'm very flexible where I get off the trail it doesn't have to be Hot Springs. As far as I can tell the closest Grey Hound Terminal is in Greenville TN.

Thanks
Sue

Carnivore
03-15-2007, 10:30
the trail walks right in to hot springs, so its an easy option. you could just hitch back to the hostel, shouldnt be hard in that area. not really sure about shuttles

booney_1
03-15-2007, 10:42
Hot Springs is about 35 miles north of Asheville. They have a Greyhound/Trailways Station.

Bluff Mountain Outfitters(hot springs) runs a shuttle to various places. Check with them.

http://www.bluffmountain.com/-shuttlerates

It looks like it is $48 for the shuttle to the Asheville Bus station

There's not really any better place before hot springs to grab a shuttle or other public transportation. You'll walk right into town...no hitching needed.

grysmn
03-17-2007, 00:28
Look in The Thru Hikers Manual by Dan Bruce for shuttles. You can also call the outfitter at Hot Springs, and he will Know the best options. You can also call the center for appalachian trail studies for shuttle info.:sun