PDA

View Full Version : a thought for hammock users

MedicineMan
08-15-2003, 22:17
assuming you are thinking of advancing the use of your hammock into colder and colder weather, and assuming you are thinking of an underquilt....if you have followed my threads you may know i have experimented with a variety of tacos and quilts of various materials.....so here is a thought if you want a down underquilt...i just went to overstock.com and purchased a microfiber shelled down quilt twin size for 49$ and 2.95 shipping....now for 50 dollars I get almost what I want without having to stuff baffles with down....my plan is to outline the shape of my underquilt onto the quilt, sew the outline, then cut off the excess, then attach the bungies/velcro/snap hooks/mitten hooks etc. to hold it to the hammock underbody.... I have spent far more for sil-nyl and Primaloft for yet another quilt, and I have also used a Golite Fur with slight modifications as an underquilt...this down quilt modification all in an effort to get my underquilt under 12 oz.s
later-
SimMM

Kerosene
08-16-2003, 14:05
Let us know how this works, SimMM. Even I might be able to put together something like this, and would consider doing it if the weight was minimal.

Do you still need a sleeping pad with the underquilt in place? If not, that would be a fair swap in weight.

tlbj6142
08-16-2003, 17:17
I assume you are talking about this (http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=450143) quilt. I wonder how heaving the shell material is? Suede?

Dirtyoldman
08-17-2003, 07:37
I dont use a pad with my quilt kero - the pad is for insulation not comfort...

Ginseng
09-13-2003, 13:39
Yes let us know. Notice the Throw too, it only $19 with 8oz down. CanoeBlue's underblanket used 4-5 oz. The twin has 12 oz
should be warm!

MedicineMan
01-31-2004, 23:57
WhiteKnight at the hammock camping newsgroup via yahoo is making underquilts for HH users...you can order them 'unstuffed' and then put the down in it yourself (or primaloft or whatever) or pay him more and ship him the down and he will do it for you. I orderd a down underquilt from him and will post on it after it arrives -should be around 2 weeks from now-

Kerosene
02-01-2004, 17:56
(I hope it works, I hope it works, I hope it works...)

TrialsKing007
02-01-2004, 20:30
Does anyone have a link to the yahoo hammock camping newsgroup?

MedicineMan
02-01-2004, 22:58
Cant remember if i posted this too,but I also ordered a catenerary cut tarp for the HH from Brian MacMillin, will report on that as well when it gets here.
And, I did get an HH Extreme Light Racer...wow the difference in heft between it and the Backpacker A-sym I have been using is stunning....never knew 11oz could feel so different and I'm weighing things all the time. The Light Racer was ordered but before they shipped they e-mailed and cautioned me about what I was getting...but after getting it I am sure it will last many many hikes with judicial use, and ironically it 'seems' much larger/more comfortable inside than my other a-sym....
Now my quandry is where to invest the 11oz. savings. If MacMillin's tarp is worthy that will be 9oz more of savings over the Cave2 I have been using...I feel like a rich man with 20oz. to spend! Even shaved 3oz off the digital cam with a Coolpix replacement over my Elph....where will it end?
OK, gonna spend 2.5 ounces on a j-pole ant. for the ham radio...it will give a 6db gain over the OEM duck that Kenwood supplies...but the rest of those ounces---any suggestions? One thought is my axe could always come now, it weight 17oz. Hmmmmmmm