PDA

View Full Version : Mtn. Mama's No Mail Drops

9 Mules
03-15-2007, 12:25
If you're drop is sent there you'll have to go to either Harford or Newport TN to pick them up, that's 10-20 miles off trail.

Jack Tarlin
03-15-2007, 13:58
Simple solution is to not go there at all.....instead, stay on the Trail, hike on to Standing Bear Farm instead. It's just yards off the Trail, is inexpensive, extremely hiker-friendly, happily holds hiker mail, runs shuttles to town if you need one, has adequate re-supply to get you to Hot Springs, and is a very cool place to stay.

Footslogger
03-15-2007, 14:06
[quote=Jack Tarlin;339556]Simple solution is to not go there at all.....instead, stay on the Trail, hike on to Standing Bear Farm instead.
=================================

Jack ...have they done a re-route of that area since 2003 ?? I stayed there but it seems (memory is questionable) that it was a little bit of road walk to get from the road crossing to Standing Bear.

'Slogger

Nean
03-15-2007, 14:09
[quote=Jack Tarlin;339556]Simple solution is to not go there at all.....instead, stay on the Trail, hike on to Standing Bear Farm instead.
=================================

Jack ...have they done a re-route of that area since 2003 ?? I stayed there but it seems (memory is questionable) that it was a little bit of road walk to get from the road crossing to Standing Bear.

'Slogger

No relo, just a few minutes walk;) :)

Footslogger
03-15-2007, 14:17
[quote=Footslogger;339571]

No relo, just a few minutes walk;) :)

===========================

OK ...it's my memory (or my mind) that's going then. Of all the things in this world that I have had and lost, I miss my mind the most !!

'Slogger

Jack Tarlin
03-15-2007, 14:19
Unless things have changed very recently, Slogger, it's only a couple hundred yards off the Trail.

khaynie
03-15-2007, 14:22
I thought Mtn Mama's closed...Or did someone else buy and re-open?

Bilko
03-15-2007, 15:03
What is the status of Mountain Moma's?

Jack Tarlin
03-15-2007, 16:21
For sale, over-priced, not very clean, and not always friendly.

The Solemates
03-15-2007, 16:30
Unless things have changed very recently, Slogger, it's only a couple hundred yards off the Trail.

nothing's changed. was just there two weekends ago.

The Solemates
03-15-2007, 16:30
For sale, over-priced, not very clean, and not always friendly.

is it listed online?

Sly
03-15-2007, 16:34
I think with the NP right there, Mnt Momas would make a great store/restuarant/hostel/campground if it was cleaned up and run better. How much they looking for, a zillion $$'s?

mrc237
03-15-2007, 16:39
The three most important items for a business: Location--loacation--location MMs got 'em. More interested in selling smokes then selling service to hikers.

Miss Janet
03-15-2007, 17:26
Some of my NoBo's have reported that they were not open just in the last few weeks. Someone even said that it actually looked a little messed up inside.

Solemates... what did it look like when you were there?

The Solemates
03-15-2007, 17:42
Some of my NoBo's have reported that they were not open just in the last few weeks. Someone even said that it actually looked a little messed up inside.

Solemates... what did it look like when you were there?

well, we only drove past and just kept on gettin it to big creek, but come to think of it, there weren't as many cars in the front as usual. i only counted 18-20, not the usual 30 or more :D

Appalachian Tater
03-15-2007, 19:01
Jack, Mountain Momma was very welcoming to us and they cooked up great food at reasonable prices. We had been outside by the river soaking our feet a while before we left, and she came outside just to thank us and say goodbye, knowing full well we were headed north and she would probably never see us again.

Jack Tarlin
03-15-2007, 19:04
That's good to hear, Tater.

Maybe they're starting to get friendlier now that they realize how many people are avoiding them. :rolleyes:

Sly
03-15-2007, 19:07
Jack, Mountain Momma was very welcoming to us and they cooked up great food at reasonable prices. We had been outside by the river soaking our feet a while before we left, and she came outside just to thank us and say goodbye, knowing full well we were headed north and she would probably never see us again.

When was that, last year? We still haven't determined if they're open this year.

Appalachian Tater
03-15-2007, 19:24
When was that, last year? We still haven't determined if they're open this year.

Yes, last year.

Lone Wolf
03-15-2007, 19:48
I remember the days when there was NOTHING in Davenport Gap. Now there's 2 places and folks are taking sides. I appreciate any place that has a cold drink. Freakin whiners. i don't like most hiker these days. Buncha hostel weenies.:)

Jack Tarlin
03-15-2007, 19:56
You don't like much of anybody these days!

Why should hikers be any different? :D

Sly
03-15-2007, 20:12
Yeah they're both great places. One's open, one's closed. You decide!

mrc237
03-16-2007, 09:58
That's good to hear, Tater.

Maybe they're starting to get friendlier now that they realize how many people are avoiding them. :rolleyes:

Competition will do that!

Rain Man
03-16-2007, 10:21
The three most important items for a business: Location--location--location MMs got 'em. ....

Perhaps for the GSMNP proper, but for the AT itself, Standing Bear Farm has much better location. The road walk from the AT to SBF is much shorter than the one from the AT to MM, and not nearly so up hill to get back to the AT.

So, with respect to the AT, in my book SBF has the location, location, location.

I have been to both places. Did some trail magic driving of NOBOers around (to MMs and the super Wal-Mart in Newport, TN) after my GSMNP section hike year before last. MM served up welcome food and I wouldn't complain. But SBF is hiker-oriented, stocked with supplies, and was more convenient and enjoyable of the two. I've stayed there twice. Plus, SBF will take mail drops and arrange shuttles, takes phone calls and has a modest web site.

Rain:sunMan

smokymtnsteve
03-16-2007, 16:22
I remember the days when there was NOTHING in Davenport Gap. Now there's 2 places and folks are taking sides. I appreciate any place that has a cold drink. Freakin whiners. i don't like most hiker these days. Buncha hostel weenies.:)

MM business is/was not dependent on hikers esp. thrus,,,I looked into buying mm a few years ago,,,the price of the property is high,,,the location at the big creek park entrance is prime,,,(though maybe not from a AT prespective) also the x-state cig business is $$$...MM is much more than a hiker business...

Jack Tarlin
03-16-2007, 16:28
It has recently been posted at another thread that Mt. Moma's may in fact NOT be open this hiker season. Hikers should probably NOT send mail there (if they haven't already) nor should they plan on-re-supplying there. As has been stated above, there are other options.

mrc237
03-16-2007, 19:04
Perhaps for the GSMNP proper, but for the AT itself, Standing Bear Farm has much better location. The road walk from the AT to SBF is much shorter than the one from the AT to MM, and not nearly so up hill to get back to the AT.

So, with respect to the AT, in my book SBF has the location, location, location.

I have been to both places. Did some trail magic driving of NOBOers around (to MMs and the super Wal-Mart in Newport, TN) after my GSMNP section hike year before last. MM served up welcome food and I wouldn't complain. But SBF is hiker-oriented, stocked with supplies, and was more convenient and enjoyable of the two. I've stayed there twice. Plus, SBF will take mail drops and arrange shuttles, takes phone calls and has a modest web site.

Rain:sunMan

I wasn't comparing the two places. SBF may have the better location but MMs could be an all together different place with different mgmt. I've never been to SBF but will visit this year.

hopefulhiker
03-16-2007, 19:13
I really liked Standing Indian.. It was fun and an interesting place to stay.. he offered work for stay too..