PDA

View Full Version : Question about Sea to Summit Lightweight Drysacks

Sly
03-15-2007, 12:32
How many times do you need to roll the top and how much length does it use? I'd like a sack for my sleeping bag. Would the small 9" x 15" be too small? The overall measurements are what I'm looking for.

MarcnNJ
03-15-2007, 12:37
Atleast 3 times is most efficient....Id say the upper 3-4 inches needs to be freespace inorder to fold accordingly.....I think I used a Large...its definitely easier if you get one size bigger....the weight difference is negligible....

bigben
03-15-2007, 12:40
I was told 3 times. For the record, I use a 13 liter S to S lightweight(not silnylon) sac for my sleeping bag, which is about as big as a sensible backpacking sleeping bag gets. It's a Golite Doze 20 in wide/long. It's down, so that helps, but still I have plenty of room to stuff it, compact it, and roll the stuff sac 3-4 times.

vaporjourney
03-15-2007, 12:40
ARe these bags really more waterproof than the sacks that close with a drawstring? You can get the drawstring so tight that there is really no opening visible, and then you could also sew a tiny piece of silnylon inside to seal it all off. Just my thoughts. LIghter too.

MarcnNJ
03-15-2007, 12:43
Lighter?? A large sea2summit dry sack is 1.4ozs.....how much weight are you saving??

headchange4u
03-15-2007, 12:45
You may want to read this article (http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/DryGear/index.html) if you are looking a silnylon dry bags.

Sly
03-15-2007, 12:46
Yeah, I made a mistake ordering a small, it doesn't have a rounded bottom. I emailed to change the order (no phone business!) to a large which should be the size I'm looking for stuffed.

MarcnNJ
03-15-2007, 12:53
You may want to read this article (http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/DryGear/index.html) if you are looking a silnylon dry bags.

I agree that silnylon degrades over time.....Mine were certainly more waterproof in the begining of my hike than they were at the end....But I believe the information in the article regarding silnylon's overall performance is not relevant....Since most people will use a packcover, and have the stuff sacks inside the pack, the amount of water that actually comes into contact with the outside of the stuffsack is very little.....A packcover will not prevent moisture from entering your backpack, but never did that moisture ever cause my sleeping bag or clothing inside my silnylon stuff sacks to get wet.....

Sly
03-15-2007, 13:40
Geez, not only did I order the wrong size, I ordered the wrong sack. Basegear.com doesn't give out their phone number (cuts costs) so I used the web based "help center" to first to change my order and then when I realized I wanted the Ultra Sil sack to change it again. In the meantime, I went ahead and ordered the Ultra Sil sack. Within minutes I got an email saying no problem, they canceled my 1st order/change and will mail out the Sea to Summit later today. Can't beat that.

vaporjourney
03-15-2007, 14:05
Lighter?? A large sea2summit dry sack is 1.4ozs.....how much weight are you saving??

really have no clue since I don't have a scale. Surely the buckle and the strap across the top weight half an ounce? Haha. Plus, I relaly like the ease of use with the drawstring, instead of rolling it each time. To each his own.

hammock engineer
03-15-2007, 14:07
The ulta sil is not silicon impregnated ripstop, it is silicon impregnated cordra. Sil-nylon does not hold up to water pressure. Not something you want in a dry bag. I have had my sts food bag hanging in the rain for long periods without any problem.

On the size I would leave 3 folds like everyone said. My 20L bag I just ordered is 1.7 oz on my scale. Each fold takes about 3/4" out of the length. I would figure an inch. I would order it at least 3" larger than you need. With the small weight difference, I would order at least one size up from what you need so you do not need to worry about compressing you bag. I was able to smash my clothes into a smaller one.

Now I carry 4 of these. One 20L for sleeping bag and clothes, one 20L for hammock/underquilt/insulated jacket, one 8L for food, and one 8L for misc stuff. I am thinking about putting a trashcompactor bag inside of the one with my bag and clothes as a second layer.

I use these with my gearskin with my ccp as a frame. Between the ccp and the sts bags, I'm not worried about getting my stuff weight.

Sly
03-15-2007, 15:20
The ulta sil is not silicon impregnated ripstop, it is silicon impregnated cordra. Sil-nylon does not hold up to water pressure. Not something you want in a dry bag.

Thanks. I ordered the 13 liter bag which with the top folded over 3 times should be a bit bigger than the stuff sack the sleeping bag came with.

I'm not so much worried about my food (or clothes) as I usually pack it in ziplocks and keep it in my tent. In areas where it's mandatory to hang, I'll use the S2S.

Appalachian Tater
03-15-2007, 19:10
The Sea-to-Summit ultra-sil pack liner is not waterproof. It works great as a laundry bag or to keep heavy duty garbage bag liner from tearing.

The OR Hydrolite stuff sacks are waterproof.

Sly
03-15-2007, 19:15
The OR Hydrolite stuff sacks are waterproof.

So are plastic trash bags at a fraction of the weight/cost.

Egads
03-15-2007, 19:38
Like A Tater said the OR are waterproof, durable, & have an air valve for venting the air & compressing the load. It's a little heavier.

I also use the S to S drysacks & never had a failure. I use 4-5 different drysacks if bad weather is expected to minimize damage if there is a failure.

Sly
03-15-2007, 19:47
We're mixing apples and oranges. I don't need a pack liner. I'm looking for something for my sleeping bag. Three guys on Backpackgeartest thought they were waterproof. (I didn't bother to read where one guy had it in the shower or bathtub!)

mudhead
03-15-2007, 19:54
I have some older OR Hydrolite rolltops. I found that they will blow bubbles when held underwater in a five gallon bucket. I found that I needed to fill the bag so that pressure was on the rolled fabric. Will still blow bubbles, but don't wet newspapers and towels stuffed in them. 12hrs in the bucket with a brick holding it down, dry newspaper. (Extra rolls help.)

Have eyeballed those bags you ordered. If you could post to this thread after you get yours and (I assume you will test it?) have an opinion I'd appreciate it!

Why did you opt for this bag rather than one of those EVent bags?

Sly
03-15-2007, 20:15
I once spent $35-40 on a OR pack cover and it leaked from day one. Their customer service wouldn't do anything. I don't buy OR stuff anymore.

ScottP
03-15-2007, 20:50
I had a mostly bad experience with the S2S Ultra-Sil Dry sacks.

Don't expect that sea to summit drysack to actually be waterproof. I had one faulty one (the tape peeled off). They promply replaced it with....another non-waterproof drysack.

I'm sure they would have replaced or refunded, but I wasn't going to bother for the $12 that I spent on it.

You might be able to peel off the tape and use silnet on the seams to make the bag actually waterproof....

I WOULD buy a S2S product again, I just wouldn't by anything silnylon with taped seams that had to take having a sleeping bag stuffed into in then being crammed into a backpack.

Bravo
03-15-2007, 21:33
We're mixing apples and oranges. I don't need a pack liner. I'm looking for something for my sleeping bag. Three guys on Backpackgeartest thought they were waterproof. (I didn't bother to read where one guy had it in the shower or bathtub!)

Who fooled you into believing that it rains out here in the desert.:D Just kidding. I hope it cools off over the next couple weeks for ya. It'll be 96 tomorrow.:eek:

Sly
03-15-2007, 21:36
Who fooled you into believing that it rains out here in the desert.:D Just kidding. I hope it cools off over the next couple weeks for ya. It'll be 96 tomorrow.:eek:

LOL... I know. I'm thinking of the CDT in MT in June. 96* huh? Yikes! Oh well.

Appalachian Tater
03-15-2007, 21:39

OR hydrolite sacks will keep your stuff dry in your pack. I kept everything in them and nothing ever got wet. Even the one used as a foodbag didn't let anything inside get wet hanging in the rain. (Used the "handle" on the bottom to hang it).

Bravo
03-15-2007, 21:40
LOL... I know. I'm thinking of the CDT in MT in June. 96* huh? Yikes! Oh well.

It'll cool down a little. This is really warm for March. I'm all hot and sunburned after working outside all day. I hope the first part of the trail isn't too cold for me. And I hope this side of the country isn't too hot for you. I can't wait to see your pictures. I hope you post some.

hammock engineer
03-15-2007, 23:45
The Large event compression sack I have is over 6oz. The 20L ultra sil bag I have is 1.7oz. I found the I did most of the compression with just stuffing my bag in. Plus now that I am using a gearskin, the whole load gets compacted.