PDA

View Full Version : My family tree didn't swing with Saskwatch

doggiebag
03-15-2007, 18:23
So I unfortunately could not grow a fine beard like you gentlemen. Be that as it may. I'm planning on shaving on the trail. I'm trying to find one of those old school shaving razors that use the Gillette double edged razors. Carrying disposable razors really does not do it for me. I'm leaving for Springer in under five days so E-bay is out. Suggestions anyone?

Dances with Mice
03-15-2007, 18:28
So I unfortunately could not grow a fine beard like you gentlemen. Be that as it may. I'm planning on shaving on the trail. I'm trying to find one of those old school shaving razors that use the Gillette double edged razors. Carrying disposable razors really does not do it for me. I'm leaving for Springer in under five days so E-bay is out. Suggestions anyone?You do know why nobody uses those anymore, right? They're horrid! Just use a steak knife, you'll get the same results.

Seriously, just carry what you use now.

Jack Tarlin
03-15-2007, 18:36
I like the old Wilkinson blades myself. Try www.ebarbershop.com which has all sorts of hard to find stuff at fairly reasonable prices.

doggiebag
03-15-2007, 18:41
Dances

I'm not looking for efficiency or speed. It's more the tradition. It's not like I won't have the time to heat some water and shave carefully. If I could find me a nice old fashioned straight razor, believe me I'd get one and would learn to use it ... and by the time I get off the trail I'd never have to buy another razor again.

doggiebag
03-15-2007, 18:46
I like the old Wilkinson blades myself. Try www.ebarbershop.com (http://www.ebarbershop.com) which has all sorts of hard to find stuff at fairly reasonable prices.

Awsome site. I'm bookmarking it, unfortunately my schedule has got me by the vitals. Any national chain stores that still carry these things?

Dances with Mice
03-15-2007, 18:51
Awsome site. I'm bookmarking it, unfortunately my schedule has got me by the vitals. Any national chain stores that still carry these things?If you insist on cutting your own throat, just order what appeals to you and have it delivered up the Trail. Cloud9, Blue Berry Patch, Hiawassee PO, NOC, Franklin PO, etc.

doggiebag
03-15-2007, 18:57
Now that's an idea. Thanks guys that's what makes this site awsome. I always get the warm and fuzzies when I come here. I'll carry a good wound closure kit or a good sized stapler just in case. Good idea on the mail drop option. Never thought of having retailers do a maildrop for me.

stuco
03-15-2007, 18:58
Just grow a patchy beard and shave it when you happen to be in town

The Snowman
03-15-2007, 18:59
Vermont Country Store has all manor of old time shaveing stuff. Great road trip from Md.

doggiebag
03-15-2007, 19:13
Just grow a patchy beard and shave it when you happen to be in town
Scaring the locals brood isn't my idea of guaranteeing a warm reception ... I'm going mail order.

doggiebag
03-15-2007, 19:15
Vermont Country Store has all manor of old time shaveing stuff. Great road trip from Md.
From Maryland to Vermont ... roadtrip? Send me whatever you're smoking. I'm going mailorder dammit. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Lanthar Mandragoran
03-16-2007, 11:24
www.classicshaving.com

Straight and safety (the old-timey double razors). I've got my eye on a travel model... then again, I get to get away with a close buzz at home so I may never bother.

Oh, and if you want to learn to use a straight razor (http://www.menessentials.com/oxid.php/sid/x/shp/oxbaseshop/cl/info/tpl/straight_razors.tpl). (classicshaving.com has lots of tips as well)

I just haven't, yet, had the balls to take the plunge into straight razor shaving... but I want to.

Ewker
03-16-2007, 11:28
I just haven't, yet, had the balls to take the plunge into straight razor shaving... but I want to.

something about balls and straight razor in the same sentence bothers me :eek:

NICKTHEGREEK
03-16-2007, 11:48
Dances

I'm not looking for efficiency or speed. It's more the tradition. It's not like I won't have the time to heat some water and shave carefully. If I could find me a nice old fashioned straight razor, believe me I'd get one and would learn to use it ... and by the time I get off the trail I'd never have to buy another razor again.

In my youth, the nice elderly Italian barber who cut my hair had several "traditional shave" customers every day. His contention was that the steaming hot towel wrap prior to applying hot lather then shaving his customers was the "secret" to a close cut free shave. Of course a careful stropping of the edge on his razor was key also. I am dubious that even the finest straight razor will work properly without the benefit of very hot water and copious amounts of shave cream. The skill required to use it well will come with time. Stay away from Starbucks during your learning curve.
Pack several styptic pencils too.

totally Boagus
03-16-2007, 12:00
Nick is on the right path..... if your looking for tradition, hit a trail town barber shop and get a "real shave" every few weeks.

BTW Nick, I grew up in Vienna is it snowing there?

TB

No Belay
03-16-2007, 13:20
Don't know much about fuzzy chins but I love your quote;

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire (1694-1778)

Try Nair, small bottle goes a long way.

Savor Happy!

doggiebag
03-16-2007, 18:00
something about balls and straight razor in the same sentence bothers me :eek:

Ever heard of John and Lorena Bobbit?

doggiebag
03-16-2007, 18:02
In my youth, the nice elderly Italian barber who cut my hair had several "traditional shave" customers every day. His contention was that the steaming hot towel wrap prior to applying hot lather then shaving his customers was the "secret" to a close cut free shave. Of course a careful stropping of the edge on his razor was key also. I am dubious that even the finest straight razor will work properly without the benefit of very hot water and copious amounts of shave cream. The skill required to use it well will come with time. Stay away from Starbucks during your learning curve.
Pack several styptic pencils too.

I've never had the pleasure of having someone shave me with a straight razor. There's a lot of trust involved there. When I get my haircut ... they'll shave the back of my neck with a straight. It does feel good.

doggiebag
03-16-2007, 18:05
Don't know much about fuzzy chins but I love your quote;

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire (1694-1778)

Try Nair, small bottle goes a long way.

Savor Happy!

I've learned to laugh and appreciate his many practical jokes.
Regards,
M

ScottP
03-16-2007, 18:22
I don't have much more than spotty growth either...but give it a couple of months and I still look like a lumberjack. You'll be suprised.

What part of Baltimore are you in?

doggiebag
03-16-2007, 18:35
I don't have much more than spotty growth either...but give it a couple of months and I still look like a lumberjack. You'll be suprised.

What part of Baltimore are you in?

I'm out of Bmore. I was in the South Side near the Hanover St bridge. Dropped by there today to move a boat on the hard. Freezing rain ... nearly got my foot caught on a spinning prop shaft (that would have ruined my day).

ScottP
03-16-2007, 18:40
I'm in Charles Village, near the Hopkins campus, but I'm leaving town tomorrow morning. For Springer.

doggiebag
03-16-2007, 18:47
I'm in Charles Village, near the Hopkins campus, but I'm leaving town tomorrow morning. For Springer.

I'm right behind you. I'll be leaving within the next couple of days. Just a couple of details to attend to ... I'll probably run into you. Have a good trip. Freezing rain here ... I'm just packing, unpacking ... checking my list. Making sure everything is good to go. Gotta drop by some ethic stores to see what the rest of the worlds been drying. Careful if you're driving it's at least a 10 hour drive. This low pressure systems gonna put some freeze on the roads.

freefall
03-16-2007, 19:59
If there's one near you, try Sally Beauty Supply. They sell to the public but also sell to the hair cutting business....

ScottP
03-16-2007, 19:59
I'm flying out of here...hopefully no delays, becaues it looks like lots of flights are being cancelled or delayed at least an hour here tonight.

My trail name is Hermes. You'll probably either run into me or see my name in the registers.

doggiebag
03-16-2007, 20:06
I'm flying out of here...hopefully no delays, becaues it looks like lots of flights are being cancelled or delayed at least an hour here tonight.

My trail name is Hermes. You'll probably either run into me or see my name in the registers.

Unless you're running - I'll catch up to you. I'm minimizing if not eliminating overnighting in towns. I'm using "Doggiebag" and if you see a dingo looking thing with a red kelty chow hound pack run by. I'll be right behind him. Looking forward to meeting you.

Regards,
Doggiebag

doggiebag
03-16-2007, 20:21
If there's one near you, try Sally Beauty Supply. They sell to the public but also sell to the hair cutting business....
Cool. They've got them all over the place. I guess I'm getting my straight razor after all. I'll also get a good sized wound closure kit from REI just in case. Thanks a bunch.

freefall
03-16-2007, 20:37
I'll also get a good sized wound closure kit from REI just in case. Thanks a bunch.

Hope you don't need it! Good luck on your hike. It's an awsome time.

Dances with Mice
03-24-2007, 09:40

My trail name is Hermes. You'll probably either run into me or see my name in the registers.I met Scott at both Hawk Mtn & Cloud9. His pack is about the size of my sleeping bag.