PDA

View Full Version : I need a good pair of Sunglasses

Chache
03-15-2007, 19:20
I never got in to the expensive sunglasses but now I think I will buy a pair. Recommendations?

Sly
03-15-2007, 19:31
Ryders, but I'm not sure where they sell them.

Tabasco
03-15-2007, 19:33
Buy a pair of Maui Jim's.

headonkey
03-15-2007, 22:14
I got a pair of Smiths from SteepandCheap.com. They have interchangeable lenses and feel great. They don't slip off my nose when I sweat and are very clear (which I had trouble with using cheaper shades). If you can catch some on sale (also try sierratradingpost.com), they're fantastic.

Almost There
03-15-2007, 23:36
My vote is for Smiths got mine off of SteepandCheap as well, under 40, retailed for 110. I have two pairs of Oakleys but for hiking the Smiths are a much better choice.

Fiddler
03-15-2007, 23:47
Go to a fishing tackle shop and try a pair of fishing glasses. I think the polarization is different from regular shades, to me they have a better view for some reason. They seem to stop more glare than regular sunglasses.

Skidsteer
03-15-2007, 23:54
I'm a C.O.C.S myself(Connoisseur of cheap sunglasses).

vaporjourney
03-16-2007, 00:01
More Smith's here: http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39194599&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1

These are the pair I bought 6 months back, and I'm shocked that they are still in stock. I'd recommend getting a pair that includes the 'rose' colored lenses. I initially bought mine that included brown lenses to use, but after trying out the rose lenses, I'll never go back to darker lenses again. They still dampen bright sunlight (i have sensitive eyes), but you can also see when the sun goes behind clouds, or you are under a canopy of trees. It really was a revolution in eyewear that I wasn't expecting. The Smith glasses are as comfortable as an old pair of Oakleys I had years back. The interchangeable lenses are cool, although I've never needed to change them. I've got clear lenses for the summer months when hiking next to creeks, and I don't want to keep swatting gnats away from my eyes.

hammock engineer
03-16-2007, 00:16
SAC is always having sunglasses of different types. If I didn't need prescription ones I would have multiple pairs.

doggiebag
03-16-2007, 00:49
I've been wearing prescription glasses most of my life and the best pair of frames which I had them put transistion lenses (darkening lenses) were from Oakley http://oakley.com/ Very comfortable and light. A little pricey but I loved them.

Earl Grey
03-16-2007, 04:34
More Smith's here: http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39194599&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1

These are the pair I bought 6 months back, and I'm shocked that they are still in stock. I'd recommend getting a pair that includes the 'rose' colored lenses. I initially bought mine that included brown lenses to use, but after trying out the rose lenses, I'll never go back to darker lenses again. They still dampen bright sunlight (i have sensitive eyes), but you can also see when the sun goes behind clouds, or you are under a canopy of trees. It really was a revolution in eyewear that I wasn't expecting. The Smith glasses are as comfortable as an old pair of Oakleys I had years back. The interchangeable lenses are cool, although I've never needed to change them. I've got clear lenses for the summer months when hiking next to creeks, and I don't want to keep swatting gnats away from my eyes.

Are these polarized?

NICKTHEGREEK
03-16-2007, 06:36
Serengeti. Extremely high quality optics can be made to match your eye glass prescription.

Chache
03-16-2007, 11:26
Buy a pair of Maui Jim's.
I do like the look and weight of the Maui Jims. The ones I like were 269.00 What am I getting for the big bucks? I did read their sales pitch. Is it really all that much better than Smiths for 40 bucks? I don't mind spending the money if it really is that good. I wonder how much of the price is just in the name.

Marta
03-16-2007, 12:35
I do like the look and weight of the Maui Jims. The ones I like were 269.00 What am I getting for the big bucks? I did read their sales pitch. Is it really all that much better than Smiths for 40 bucks? I don't mind spending the money if it really is that good. I wonder how much of the price is just in the name.

They're probably nicer, but are they 6.73 times nicer? Only you can make that call.

Personally, I try not to buy anything I can't afford to break or lose.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Sly
03-16-2007, 12:39
After losing a couple pairs of expensive sun glasses, the only ones I wear are the ones I find.

max patch
03-16-2007, 12:55
A $20 pair of sunglasses is just as good as a $200 pair. Unless you're into making a fashion statement.

Footslogger
03-16-2007, 13:00
Just look for a scratch resistant polycarbonate lens and ones that glare (polarizing) treated. I tend to find good glasses at the local ski shop in the $18 - $20 range.

'Slogger

Sly
03-16-2007, 13:13
Just look for a scratch resistant polycarbonate lens and ones that glare (polarizing) treated. I tend to find good glasses at the local ski shop in the $18 - $20 range.

I have a pair with that type of lens but it has a few scratches. Anyway to treat them?

BrianLe
03-16-2007, 13:21
I mostly agree with Max Patch here --- for hiking I normally use a cheap pair of polarized sunglasses. (for most other things too ...)

I think the initial question has insufficient context, however. If you spend a lot of time up high and/or in sun+snow, a pair of glacier glasses is a good idea. I got cat 3's, just $40 or so at REI if I recall correctly; cat 3's was for me a good compromise for something that can do okay high up for that infrequent need, but also serve as not-toooo-dark sunglasses for some other times. I like them in winter when the sun is low just for the side shielding; I expect most folks here know that if this is an issue on a longer hiking trip, duct tape side shields on cheap-o sunglasses is considered the height of trail fashion ... :sun

I bought and very briefly tried out a pair of the "Sport EYZ Ultralight" sunglasses that Gossamer Gear sells. Nice idea to get something that lightweight and inexpensive, but I don't think I'll use 'em. Putting them back in their original case is hard, and the case would add weight, and they're pretty delicate to just toss in a pocket somewhere. More important, using them on the trail is a two-hand operation, and I frequently walk from shade back into sun, back into shade ... a cheap pair of drugstore sunglasses can be put on or taken off with one hand.

Footslogger
03-16-2007, 13:27
I have a pair with that type of lens but it has a few scratches. Anyway to treat them?

===============================

I believe there is. Check with the optometrist or optician in your area. I have heard (but not actually seen) of a mildy abrasive polishing cloth that removes minor scratches.

That said ...coated polycarbonate lenses tend NOT to scratch very easily !!

'Slogger