PDA

View Full Version : IMPORTANT Mail Drop info out of TN

Chaco Taco
03-16-2007, 11:23
Im at StandingBear. The mail drops that are being sent to Mt Momma's are not getting there because Mt Momma's is not open. She was supposed to open yesterday but didnt. Mail drops are being sent to Newport which is 20 mins away. Curtis at Standing Bear is trying toget as many of those packages diverted here as he can. If you are sending to Mt Momma's it may not be open when you arrive. There has been rumor that it is closing down. Dont know the validity of it, but it is not open now.
With that said, I am just the messenger and am trying to get the word out to hikers doingdrops after the Smokies.

stacy324
03-16-2007, 12:24
I had not heard this about Mountain Mama's. I will be coming through there on a section hike in a few weeks and had planned on stopping there to shower and resupply. Are there any other lodging / resupply options, or should I plan on pushing through to Hot Springs?

Marta
03-16-2007, 12:31
Standing Bear Farm is extremely convenient for resupply.

Rebel, with a Cause!
03-16-2007, 14:25
Hi there Chaco, How did your hike go through the Smokies? Great meeting you and hope we can meet up again.

Snappy got down fine and met his parents at Cades Cove. Boy is he fast downhill :)

Cya later

Lauriep
03-16-2007, 14:59
Here is what we are telling hikers, based on our conversations with the owner of Mountain Mama's and local postmasters:

Mountain Mama's Kuntry Store and Hostel, located near Davenport Gap at the North end of the Smokies, has closed indefinitely. The hostel is no longer accepting packages. Hikers who have already sent packages here can call the Newport, TN Post Office (423) 623-6136 (about 20 miles away) or the Hartford, TN Post Office (423) 487-2180 (about 5 miles away) for information on forwarding, retreiving, or arranging pick-up of their maildrops.

Laurie Potteiger
ATC Information Services Manager

bulldog49
03-16-2007, 16:01
From first-hand experience I can highly recommend Curtis at Standing Bear Farm. Really cool place and it's just yards off the trail.

TOW
03-16-2007, 16:04
and it sounds like the problem is gone....................

Jack Tarlin
03-16-2007, 16:23
Thank you Lowspark and Laurie for this info. People that frequent other websites/forums such as AT-L; Trailplace; Trailjournals, etc. might want to pass this on.

Chaco Taco
03-16-2007, 17:06
Curtis is just really concerned about people not getting packages. Luckily, some of the postal workers are hikers and are trying to let Curtis know when these packages come in so he can get them to his place. He has been in touch with the ATC. Curtis has made it known that packages can be sent to the Farm. One guy today called Mt Mommas only to find out his stuff is locked in the green shack.
For anyone out there curious, the Standing Bear Farm is awesome. Curtis is mainly concerned about the hikers and wants to do what he can to helpout the one's coming out of the Smokies. Good luck Class of 07.

sliderule
03-17-2007, 11:47
Not that it matters greatly, but Mountain Mommas is (was) in NC, not TN.

Chaco Taco
03-18-2007, 11:14
Hi there Chaco, How did your hike go through the Smokies? Great meeting you and hope we can meet up again.

Snappy got down fine and met his parents at Cades Cove. Boy is he fast downhill :)

Cya later

Yo Rebel,
It was really cool to meet you. The rest of the trip was awesome. Got in last night. Gonna spend some time with my girlfriend then Ill upload the obscene amount of pics I took. Some of em turned out great. Got some good ones of the fires. There were way too many arson fires set this week.