PDA

View Full Version : more 2007 thru hiker sightings

Pages : [1] 2

mountain squid
03-16-2007, 17:24
The first sightings for me, though. The following guys were luxuriating in the warmth, comfort and coziness that one will encounter at Miss Janet's:

The Walrus
Woodstock
Zero
Ramblin' Rose

Can't say that I blame them for relaxing today. It has been raining all day long and the temp has been falling. I'm sure they will encounter snow on Roan within the next few days...

:D As for Miss Janet, she was busy 'whacking' them with a Leki pole trying to keep them off the kitchen floor while she 'attempted' to retile...:D

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Fannypack
03-16-2007, 19:11
T
:D As for Miss Janet, she was busy 'whacking' them with a Leki pole trying to keep them off the kitchen floor while she 'attempted' to retile...:D

See you on the trail,
mt squid
I would hope they take their hands out of the frig & lend a hand w/ the retiling...
Thx for the update....
What is the forecast down there for the w/e?

mountain squid
03-17-2007, 13:10
It was snowing this morning. Currently it is partly cloudy about 39F with a HI 41 and a LO 26 expected.

Sunday is supposed to be sunny, HI 52 and LO 35.

Monday is supposed to rain, HI 63.

I drove to as close as I could get to Carvers Gap (Roan Mt) this morning. There was about 2 inches of snow on the road and still snowing. I was a few miles short of the top when I backed down the road a couple hundred feet to a point where I could turn around safely. If I had continued on I wasn't sure if I would have been able to turn around. Better to be safe than sorry, I suppose...

Anyway, not a good day to hike over Roan...hope nobody was up there...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Heater
03-17-2007, 15:10
I would hope they take their hands out of the frig & lend a hand w/ the retiling...
Thx for the update....
What is the forecast down there for the w/e?

That's what I thought. Cmon, lend a hand!!!! Gonna have to stay off the floor for a day or so while it sets up too.:D

(unless she used those cheap self sticking tiles.):-?

Chaco Taco
03-20-2007, 17:44
Anyone heard from Otto? He left Standing Bear last Wednesday. Must have gotten lost at the Blue Bus in Hartford. Otto, where you at?

Mango
03-29-2007, 19:52
The gentleman in question was at Miss Janet's this morning for breakfast. Probably still there tonight.

Gaiter
03-30-2007, 00:39
Otto is still there? lol Ms. Janet joked about the Erwin 3-Day Challenge, get out of Erwin in less than 3 days, I guess he failed that one.

ImkerVS
03-31-2007, 21:04
Saturday, March 31st. About 70 degrees, cloudy.

On my way up to Hogback Ridge Shelter, 2 miles south of Sam's Gap, I passed "Riders of the Storm", 4 guys (Brad, Garrett, Dan Ryan), and then I think I passed Dre, his dog Sammy, Chicago, and Chris (Goldenboy). Not far behind was Brad (Aquaman). Their long mileage day will put them between Little Bald and Spivy Gap, I think, and in Erwin Sunday afternoon. At Hogback Ridge Shelter, I met Brain and Pinky, and a fellow about my edge on his 2nd thru attempt, and sorry can't remember his name.

Also there was a fellow from Miami with his son, doing a section, with a tent still in the box, strapped on top of his pack, wearing a scout t-shirt.

I left 'em with some goodies, my first time providing some trail magic.

mountain squid
04-03-2007, 17:03
Just got back from FS42 at the foot of Springer. Saw too many people to list all, but here are the WB hikers I saw begin their long distance journey:

mike osmond (gatorgump)
BirdLegs
trailblazed
Bmillonduhat
Shadow
doggiebag
EarlyBird2007
quicktoez
superman
Slim aka Nancy (& Bogey)
crazy horse
balrog
green hornet
namehere
Just Jack
KMaha
Bob McCaw
robo
Ronin
cargousa
Pacific Tortuga
RobKimball
Danimal
mambo tango
corentin
texas jack
two dogs

There were probably more WB members, but either I didn't recognize their name or they didn't recognize mine...

Altogether I counted 217 "thru" hikers, 109 section hikers (give or take a few). Approx 160 started from FS42. The busiest day I saw was April Fool's Day :p when 36 "thrus" and 19 sectioners braved the elements and began their hikes (it rained all day long)...

Anyway, hope to see them when they get up here...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Lone Wolf
04-03-2007, 19:52
whoopie do

Pirate
04-03-2007, 20:05
Was at Miss Janets yesterday. Just a bunch of crybaby hikers looking for a handout.... Stay at Uncle Monieys get your money worth. Pay for toilet paper by the square, only50 cents.

Fannypack
04-03-2007, 21:03
Was at Miss Janets yesterday. Just a bunch of crybaby hikers looking for a handout.... Stay at Uncle Monieys get your money worth. Pay for toilet paper by the square, only50 cents.
is this THE Pirate, the ex-****'n seal??

when u going down to Rainbow Springs Campground & fix up that place? oops , that's right, your mommy & daddy, Jensine (sp?) & Buddy are gone...

mambo_tango
04-08-2007, 19:12
Me and Corentin are here at Cloud 9 now. We are doing good - sore but good!

emerald
04-08-2007, 19:36
Me and Corentin are here at Cloud 9 now. We are doing good - sore but good!

Glad to learn of your progress. Don't get in too much of a hurry just yet. It will all come together for you if you give it the necessary time!:)

emerald
04-08-2007, 19:38
whoopie do

Same to you!:D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-08-2007, 19:48
Has anyone seen Certain (Michele)?

mountain squid
04-09-2007, 09:12
Hi mambo_tango and Corentin, Great to hear from you!! Sounds like all is well except for the typical soreness. That might go away some time in VT:D (just in time for The Whites in NH). It has been cold, so stay warm and dry...

Trail names yet?

See you on the trail,
mt squid

FD - I haven't seen Certain (Michele).

Trillium
04-09-2007, 22:38
Has anyone seen Certain (Michele)?based on her & Nicole's TJ's, they were last at Locust Cove Gap, NC
last Tuesday.

Dances with Mice
04-10-2007, 06:00
Mr. Squid, sir...

Would you mind telling us about the guy who was hiking the Approach with three loads of gear and supplies? Was he the one with the hand truck? I heard something about it a few weeks ago.

mountain squid
04-10-2007, 19:20
To the best of my knowledge the individual with the handtruck did NOT hike the Approach Trail. One evening as I was hiking down Springer (to FS42), I met this individual hiking South to the summit of Springer from FS42. Someone had dropped this individual off at FS42.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

mountain squid
04-10-2007, 19:34
Trail maintenance today constructing new trail North of Iron Mt Gap. Had a couple from Kincora help out:

Sardine (who I had met in 04 while hiking)
Noodles

Also, saw Tim from the PA Train hiking North.

After maintenance, I drove Sardine and Noodles back to Kincora and saw the following hikers:

Fish (WB username DjangoRob)
Chips (WB username Skipper the Eyechild)
Renaissance Man
Many Names
Biscuits
Hellbender
Johnny Hand
Freight Train
Octagon

Supposed to rain tomorrow, so hope they all stay warm and dry:sun...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

mountain squid
04-14-2007, 16:27
En route to Carvers Gap, saw a hiker at the Roan Mt post office. Turned out to be Smiley. Drove him to Mountain Harbour Hostel.

Continued on my trek to Carvers Gap to hike up Roan High Knob. As I was hiking up encountered Hemlock and Hoosier hiking down.

Anyway, it was very windy at the Gap, hope no one got blown off the balds...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

jettjames
04-16-2007, 12:29
This is Jettjames, I am hiding out from the weather in Gatlinburg. It turns out I don't do well in the cold, or to be more presise, I don't want to do well in the cold. The road is still closed this am to newfound gap at 1230pm due to snow and ice. I will be heading back up in the am with a nice new fleece ( as the weather creeps into the 70's)

pt

mountain squid
04-16-2007, 12:48
Wise idea to stay out of the cold when you can. But don't worry, there will be warm days ahead:sun...

Good Luck. Stay warm and Stay dry.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

PS. I noticed you are not on the WB Class of 2007 list. Would you like me to add you? If so, just need to know when you started...

jettjames
04-16-2007, 12:57
PS. I noticed you are not on the WB Class of 2007 list. Would you like me to add you? If so, just need to know when you started...

Thanks Mntn Squid, please do add me. I started at Springer on March 17th. DOn't remeber what number I was at Springer, but I was #279 ( or so) at Neels Gap to sign in.

Also - just got off phone with ranger staion in GSP, the road to Newfound gap won't open today, NUMEROUS, ( their emphisis) trees down on the road and 7 inches of snow.

pt

jmcgarrahan
04-16-2007, 13:20
Has anyone in or around GSMNP seen Low Branch, he left Fontana Dam Firday afternoon to enter the smokies, just wondering if anyone had seen him, he is in there somewhere, I know he hadn't gotten off the trail prior to the nasty weather.

Fannypack
04-16-2007, 22:46
extract from Leatherneck07's Apr 16 entry in Franklin, NC, http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?ID=174373 :

".....Rebel with a Cause (whom we've renamed Rebel with a Jaw because he is so loquacious)......

hmmmmm... loquacious (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/loquacious)??? Jester, is that one of those nickel words?

mountain squid
04-18-2007, 17:50
More trail maintenance today constructing new trail North of Moreland Gap. Kincora brought the following hikers:

Jew Dog
Pooch

During lunch break, saw the following hikers hiking North:

Confucious
Minnie Mouse
Mayhem (dog)
Speedo
Ohm
Quartermoon (who stopped and helped on the relocation)

Had a little rain while working, but otherwise a nice day...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Pirate
04-18-2007, 18:56
Anyone heard from Otto? He left Standing Bear last Wednesday. Must have gotten lost at the Blue Bus in Hartford. Otto, where you at?

Otto is here in Damascus sucking beers at Dots.

katagious
04-18-2007, 22:20
The boys from Maine, my two sons Futs and Nucking? They would be somewhere around Gatlinburg now,....

04-19-2007, 00:05
We have 14 more starting in the morning. 5 to the park, the others are going to Springer Parking lot. We thought it was going to slow down but the hikers are still coming. I will try to post numbers from Amicalola and if I see "Many Sleeps" at Springer I will get his numbers as well.

mountain squid
04-19-2007, 17:20
Hi Josh,

Staying busy, huh? I would have thought it would slow down too...Maybe the word is circulating about what a fantastic job you guys do down there...Keep it up:)!!!!

:welcome to WB katagious,

If your sons Nuts and er,:rolleyes: wait a minute, Futs and Nucking, are in G-burg they are still about 200 mi from here in JC. Maybe I'll see them when they get nearer...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Chaco Taco
04-19-2007, 18:00
Otto is here in Damascus sucking beers at Dots.

PLease pass along to Otto that Colonel Chaco said hey. The guy that gave him his "wallet" leaving Max Patch. Could you try and get him to drop me a line at [email protected], I lost his number.

katagious
04-20-2007, 22:41
Hi Josh,

:welcome to WB katagious,

If your sons Nuts and er,:rolleyes: wait a minute, Futs and Nucking, are in G-burg they are still about 200 mi from here in JC. Maybe I'll see them when they get nearer...

See you on the trail,
mt squid
Thanks for the welcome! My boys called this afternoon. they just hit Davenport. Evidently they met a man on the trail who's knee gave out on him and they split up the guys equipment and carried it out to Davenport for him. The man then very generously treated them to dinner and a motel room.
What a great adventure. It's more then I want to experience at this point of my life! But, I'm so excited to see them living their dreams!
I keep telling them to enjoy this, it's probably one of the only times in their life that it will be totally exceptable to be homeless and unemployed!:D

mambo_tango
04-21-2007, 09:56
Hey all.... here in Gatlinburg... took a zero. My sister went home because her feet were not holding up. They have dubbed me Chach I guess. Long story. Will be heading out today and trying to make it to Hot Springs sometime next week. Gatlinburg is a freakshow, I must say.

emerald
04-21-2007, 11:11
Hey all.... here in Gatlinburg... took a zero. My sister went home because her feet were not holding up. They have dubbed me Chach I guess. Long story. Will be heading out today and trying to make it to Hot Springs sometime next week. Gatlinburg is a freakshow, I must say.

Glad to hear you are making steady progress. Sorry to hear about your sister.

You post reminded me I didn't bookmark your journal. I will do so now.

Continued success to you!

mountain squid
04-21-2007, 18:39
The following hikers had the opportunity to hike brand new trail, N of Iron Mt Gap:

Thunder
Buckles - WB member (www.trailjournals.com/greghull (http://www.trailjournals.com/greghull))
Crank Bait
EM (hiking S, doing a flip-flop)
Tabasco
Dogs Life (http://www.bruceiswalkin.com/)
Castanets
Slinky
Dog
Able
Bag Lady

Perfect day for hiking (and digging new trail:))...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

littlelaurel59
04-23-2007, 10:08
I met Catepillar at Grayson Highlands State Park on Saturday. He looked fit and strong and in good spirits. I was leading a scout trip for the weekend. I think the boys were impressed to meet someone who had been hiking for 6 weeks.

The highlands of VA were abo****ely beautiful. Clear skies, comfortable temps. The wind was the calmest I have EVER experienced there.

mountain squid
04-23-2007, 19:31
Big crowd at Miss Janet's today:

Hangman
Moon Goat & his dog, Otto (met at Springer on 3/24) (www.trailjournals.com/walkerthompson (http://www.trailjournals.com/walkerthompson))
Buttercup
Wayback
Trailblazed (met at Springer on 3/29)
Seuss
Rhododendron (met at Springer on 3/25)
GG (Gentle Giant) (met at Springer on 3/25)
Silverheels
Doctor Ninja
Da Breeze
Lala (met at Springer on 3/24) (www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=4910 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=4910))
Step 'n' a half (www.trailjournals.com/bobkaspar (http://www.trailjournals.com/bobkaspar))
Gus
Stitches

Although they didn't stay I also saw Caveman and Ghost of Panchan.

There might have been a few more that I didn't see (probably slackin')...

See you on the trail (& at Trail Days),
mt squid

kyhiker1
04-23-2007, 20:09
I met up with a thru-hiker named Forgetfull at Charlies Bunion on 04/12/07,lots of ice around.Nice elderly man.

TOW
04-24-2007, 10:34
Lisa, aka "Stretch" just hiked out of here today. I first met her at the Harpers Ferry Hostel in the fall of 2003............

1Pint
04-24-2007, 10:52
Seen just south of Newfound Gap 4/22 to 4/23...
Jake/Boom Boom Bandaid Bigfoot +8
Brady/Tater
Hoshaiah/Toasty Mitts
Tom Conely 2Weeks & 3Days (2000 thru, doing a section from Springer to ?? May 15?)
Daniel/Blaze (doing a section from Springer to ?? June 23)
GForce
IceMan (WBer)
Usual Suspect
CutiePie (spelling?)

mweinstone
04-24-2007, 16:49
bfitz needs baltimore jack tarlins 1020. over. calling all well fed jacks . calling all well fed jacks. this is pappa bear. do you ?read over.

mountain squid
04-27-2007, 19:24
Just got back from Kincora. A handful of hikers were hanging out:

Hiking Pole
Music Man
Sleeping Beauty
Dances with Sloths
Slo Moe (met at Springer 3/28)
Rio
Echo
Hemlock (second Hemlock I've seen)
Couch
Rizzo
Wonder (WB username Wonderfoot)

mt squid

jankerns
04-27-2007, 23:28
The first sightings for me, though. The following guys were luxuriating in the warmth, comfort and coziness that one will encounter at Miss Janet's:

The Walrus
Woodstock
Zero
Ramblin' Rose

Can't say that I blame them for relaxing today. It has been raining all day long and the temp has been falling. I'm sure they will encounter snow on Roan within the next few days...

See you on the trail,
mt squid
No thru hikers came in today to say hi to me at Sugarlands Visitor Center in GSMNP. :-( Enjoyed Circuit Rider & Sherlock at my home waiting out the frigid one degree above zero weather in the Smokies Easter weekend. --TagalongJan

mountain squid
04-28-2007, 13:38
Hi and :welcome to WB jankerns. I suspect it should begin to 'thin' out down there pretty soon, as far as 'thru hikers' go (G-burg probably never 'thins' out of tourists:D). Hopefully, the weather has improved in the Smoky's as well...

mt squid

mountain squid
04-28-2007, 14:05
Day hike to Nick Grindstaff's Monument off of TN91. Saw the following hikers:

Willing
Able (second sighting for me)
Harmony
Song
Bottle Cap
Finnegan

The weather was cooperating this morning, but now it is raining...

mt squid

mark lena
05-01-2007, 09:58
Has anyone seen Maine-iacs Uno and Dewey? Shold be heading into Hot Springs today 5/1/07

StarLyte
05-02-2007, 08:47
I love visiting Kincora. This is the TRUE Appalachian Trail hostel experience; Bob and Pat are outstanding people. Thanks for this report. :sun

Hiking Pole
Music Man
Sleeping Beauty
Dances with Sloths
Rio
Echo
Couch
Rizzo

mt squid

ms doolittle
05-02-2007, 10:17
Oh, hey! I know that Sleeping Beauty is now in Damascus. Spoke with Green Hornet last night, who did a nero yesterday and a zero today. That was name that stuck in my head. I think Dances with Sloths is in Damascus right now as well.

Hiking Pole
Music Man
Sleeping Beauty
Dances with Sloths
Rio
Echo
Couch
Rizzo

mt squid

mountain squid
05-02-2007, 16:13
:sun Kincora is great!!! Today there were 'two' handfuls of hikers hanging out:

Tapioca (met at Springer 3/27)
Rangoon (met at Springer 3/27)
Batman (met at Springer 4/1)
Queso
General Lee
Luna
Silver Cloud
Caveman (Miss J's 4/23)
Ghost of Panchan (Miss J's 4/23)
Pike County
Lumpy (says 'hello' to everyone)
Cheeks (met at Springer 3/24 - WB username Senor Quack)
Smokey T (met last yr on Watauga Dam Rd)
Steps Small
Snow Plow (met at Springer 3/30)
Tammy (met at Springer 3/30)
General Tso (met at Springer 3/27)
Uncle Tom (met at Springer 3/27 - WB username balrog)
Strider (met at Springer 3/28)
Grin (met at Springer 3/28)
DB

Wouldn't be surprised if another handful shows up tonight (not to mention the 'slackers' who were 'slackin' back)...

mt squid

the_iceman
05-03-2007, 18:22
Buttercup (Mignon) Holiday Inn, Usual Suspect (Uncle Johnny's), Privy Winks (Miss Janet's), Brad (leadfoot), Rebecca, & Matsu (Uncle Johnny's) August, Orangemoon, & Gingersnap went out this morning, I am at the Holiday Inn as well. We head out tomorrow. Big thunderstorms today on the way in.

emerald
05-03-2007, 20:52
Spoke with Green Hornet last night, who did a nero yesterday and a zero today.

Now I'm not picking on anyone. My mind has a habit of noting all sorts of odd things. An alarm went off when I read the sentence above.

I suppose someone does a nero, but does one do a zero? I thought a zero was doing nothing!:D

I realize on days when one zeroes, one can be quite busy. Hadn't posted lately and didn't want anyone to get the impression I'd gone away, so I thought I'd point that out.;)

ms doolittle
05-03-2007, 21:05
lol! Why you pickin' on me, Gray? :rolleyes:

So, technically, he didn't do a "zero". Instead, he paced up and down the streets of Damascus, in between laundry and phone calls, like a caged animal. :p :D

In other words, not "trail miles" were logged. :p

Completely off topic: I really like using smileys and hate the fact that I can't use more than 4 in one message.

Okay, back on topic.

Now I'm not picking on anyone. My mind has a habit of noting all sorts of odd things. An alarm went off when I read the sentence above.

I suppose someone does a nero, but does one do a zero? I thought a zero was doing nothing!

I realize on days when one zeroes, one can be quite busy. Hadn't posted lately and didn't want anyone to get the impression I'd gone away, so I thought I'd point that out.

jmcgarrahan
05-03-2007, 21:08
Damn Dolittle you beat me! I wondered if you would notice you were being picked on.;)

Hey leave Ms.Dolittle alone:D

jmcgarrahan
05-03-2007, 21:08
yea yea I spelled Doolittle wrong, my turn I guess.....

emerald
05-03-2007, 21:22
Why you pickin' on me, Gray? :rolleyes:

Completely off topic: I really like using smileys and hate the fact that I can't use more than 4 in one message.

I like smileys too. Pairs or sequences are even more fun. Did you know you can use more than 4 in PMs?:)

I spelled Doolittle wrong, my turn I guess...

:-? Dolittle, that's a synonym for nero, isn't it?:D

Fannypack
05-04-2007, 07:56
AlleyCat, Hawk & Zero should be in Waynesboro, VA today or tomorrow - remember these 3 were invlved in the Bull Story in VA ... Here is AlleyCat's April 30 entry, http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=178024 ..

It is a long entry but it is a good read....

Also this is the ZERO who started in January..

Enjoy...

Btw, see yall on the trail this w/e, between Wolfe Shelter & Blackrock Hut...

mambo_tango
05-04-2007, 18:48
Here in Erwin! Staying with some friends of Sideshow (from the PAIN TRAIN BABY!). Here with Grizzle and Bigby too. Caught in the downpour yesterday. Oh and I so suck at keeping up with my trailjournal. Sorry all.

emerald
05-04-2007, 19:02
Here in Erwin! Oh and I so suck at keeping up with my trailjournal.

Yes [what you said], but I'm glad to hear you're still following those friendly white markers! It keeps getting better until it ends at the best place short of hiker's heaven. ;):rolleyes:

mountain squid
05-04-2007, 20:43
Oh and I so suck at keeping up with my trailjournal. Sorry all.
Hi mambo_tangohttp://hikinghq.net/forum/images/smilies2/hello.gif,

We forgive you...and realize that internet connections are not the easiest to come by in the middle of the woodshttp://hikinghq.net/forum/images/smilies2/pcguru.gif...

(I also like smileys, :-? but I thought three was the max. Don't know if I've ever used fourhttp://hikinghq.net/forum/images/smilies2/party.gifbefore.)

mt squid

emerald
05-04-2007, 20:49
Hi mambo_tangohttp://hikinghq.net/forum/images/smilies2/hello.gif,

We forgive you...and realize that internet connections are not the easiest to come by in the middle of the woodshttp://hikinghq.net/forum/images/smilies2/pcguru.gif...

(I also like smileys, :-? but I thought three was the max. Don't know if I've ever used fourhttp://hikinghq.net/forum/images/smilies2/party.gifbefore.)

mt squid

You're downright evil!

emerald
05-04-2007, 20:51
I can't believe this http://hikinghq.net/forum/images/smilies2/party.gifcounts as one! If you look real close they are saying Mambo on the 1st wave and Tango on the second, really!;)

peanuts
05-04-2007, 21:00
shades of gray, where did you get the emoticons????

mountain squid
05-04-2007, 21:07
SSSSHHHHH...it's a secret.

mambohttp://hikinghq.net/forum/images/smilies2/party.giftango...mambohttp://hikinghq.net/forum/images/smilies2/party.giftango...mambo...http://hikinghq.net/forum/images/smilies2/party.giftango.....

mt squid

emerald
05-04-2007, 21:17
:-? As an INTJ should, I can't help but notice that the wave's mirror image with the wave progressing from left to right would be better, but, even though backwards, it's still not bad, although red-eyed vireos would do more to motivate me.:rolleyes: :D

I'm hoping to hear my first red-eyed vireo this year this weekend. Heard through the A.T. grapevine, they're sporting quite a tan this year.;)

emerald
05-04-2007, 21:21
internet connections are not the easiest to come by in the middle of the woodshttp://hikinghq.net/forum/images/smilies2/pcguru.gif
mt squid

Isn't there a phone jack on each blaze tree opposite the A.T.?;)

emerald
05-04-2007, 21:41
shades of gray, where did you get the emoticons????

I'm not ignoring you. I can't say. I've been sworn to secrecy.

peanuts
05-04-2007, 21:44
well, fine, be that way!!!:mad: i'll find'em!!! am also an INTJ!!!!

mountain squid
05-05-2007, 09:13
OK. Back on subject, I guesshttp://hikinghq.net/forum/images/smilies2/five.gif...

Yesterday, at Watauga Dam Rd:

Cheeks (Kincora 5/2)
Steps Small (Kincora 5/2)
Fish Bowl
Dozer
TK Express (Trevor & Kimi - met at Springer 3/30)
Hang Glider (met at Springer 4/1)
Low Branch (and Family http://hikinghq.net/forum/images/smilies2/wavey.gif- met at Springer 3/31)
Serial

Another trip to Kincora:

Wagos
Plodder
Retriever
Rafiki (met at Springer 3/31)
501 (met at Springer 3/31)
Hoodoo Mama
Hell, Yeah!
Hikernutt (WB user)
Mountain Man (WB user)
Tree Whisperer (met at Springer 3/30)
CNN (Charles -n- Nancy)
Bonafide (met at Neels Gap 3/23)

It is cloudy now and has been raining hard for the last couple of days. I think I'll go for a hike now:sun ...

mt squid

PS. http://hikinghq.net/forum/images/smilies2/listen.gif peanuts - gather around the campfire and I'll give you a hint about where to hang your hammock...

ms doolittle
05-05-2007, 11:33
LOL! I've gotten quite a kick out of the last few responses here. Thanks ya'll. http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/happy062.gif

Good to see that Low Branch and family made it to Watauga Dam safely. http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/happy057.gif

And yes, Gray, I suppose that variation of my trail name would be a synonym for a "Nero". Although, I've never been told, at least to my face, that I "DidLittle". [img]http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/taunt012.gif[img] ;)

ms doolittle
05-05-2007, 11:33
Now, for the really important lesson. How the heck do you edit?????? :p

Trillium
05-05-2007, 17:48
Now, for the really important lesson. How the heck do you edit?????? :pYou have to donate to WhiteBlaze.net. :)

it's one of the perks

i.e. besides the warm, fuzzy feeling you get from helping keep this place on the server.

mountain squid
05-05-2007, 20:48
Wow. With all these extra smileys, it is gonna be hard to just use the ones avail herehttp://www.freesmileys.org/emo/rolleyes010.gif.

ms doolittle - that is not where I found the ones I used. Your site seems to have way morehttp://www.freesmileys.org/emo/whacky057.gif...need to find one that says 'DOH' to go with the woohooer...

Oh yeah, saw Nice-Enuff and Torpedo at Mountaineer Falls Shelter today.

See you on the trail,
mt squid
http://hikinghq.net/forum/images/smilies3/rankn-cpo.gif

emerald
05-06-2007, 06:50
Gray, I suppose that variation of my trail name would be a synonym for a "Nero". Although, I've never been told, at least to my face, that I "DidLittle". [img]http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/taunt012.gif[img] ;)

You trying to taunt me ms doolittle?http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/taunt012.gif

ms doolittle
05-06-2007, 10:30
LOL! Nah, I just liked that particular smiley. ;)

Fannypack
05-06-2007, 15:25
saw:
Fri, 5/4 - at Wolfe Shelter just south of Waynesboro,VA - Martini and Rossi from Framingham, MA- they are taking of a day in Charlottesville, could be a week things work out
Sat, 5/5 -
- at 9am, Rockfish Gap - Eleven from Harttford, CT - started early March
- at 10am, YMCA camping area in Waynesboro - Carefree from NY & Matt from NC
- at 14:00, Calf Mtn Hut - Sticker
- at 19:20, Blackrock Hut - Eleven
Sun, 5/6 -
- at 09:30, AT south of Blackrock Hut - Hike from FL started late Feb
- at 11:00, AT north of Skyline Dr, MP 92, Carefree & Matt
- at 11:30, AT north of Skyline Dr, MP 92, Sticker

It was reported that on Sat nite at Calf Mtn Hut, there were 9 tents and 11 persons in the 6 person shelter

neighbor dave
05-06-2007, 15:38
:-? have you seen joe??? he should be inbetween kincora and dumasskiss:sun
http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=212062

he's a real character:jump

Fannypack
05-06-2007, 16:49
It was reported that on Sat nite at Calf Mtn Hut, there were 9 tents and 11 persons in the 6 person shelter
btw, before LW decides to respond/comment, i will say that the 9 tents were NOT in the shelter

LW, see ya Friday nite... i will email ya.

mountain squid
05-09-2007, 19:40
At the first crossing of I81 at the 'closed' DQ (I wonder how many hikers have been bummed about thathttp://www.freesmileys.org/emo/ad/awww.gif), I saw:

Sleeping Beauty (Kincora 4/27 - I had to track her down b/c she left an empty Gatorade bottle in my truckhttp://www.freesmileys.org/emo/rolleyes010.gif)
Fireball

I drove http://hikinghq.net/forum/images/smilies2/driver.gifboth of them 'back' to Marion...

Off of TN91, I saw:
Eric (http://ericexplores.com/)
Byte Code (met at Springer 4/1 - WB username cargousa)
Church Mouse (met at Springer 4/1)

mt squid

ms doolittle
05-09-2007, 20:23
Sweet, Green Hornet (who took advantage of the pizza delivery at Partnership Shelter on Sunday, 5/6 http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/eatdrink026.gif) mentioned Sleeping Beauty being in Damascus during his zero day last week (5/2), as well as many others who's trail names completely escape me.

Mt Squid, you're having far too much fun with the new smileys. ;)

http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/whacky097.gif

RockStar
05-09-2007, 21:23
I just got a postcard from ShowME Trailname Jeff I think. His real name is Geoff. he was in Franklin. Its postmarked May 7th! :banana

Peacock
05-10-2007, 22:00
Ran into Five String on Sun. morning 4/29 about a mile south of McAfee Knob. Peacock aka Seldom Seen

mountain squid
05-11-2007, 19:51
http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/gen158.gifHot day at Kincora today:

Golden Child (Springer 4/2)
Patches (Springer 4/2)
Smoke Stack
Hojo
Take it Easy
Yellow Jacket
U-Turn (Springer 3/25)
Red Arm (Springer 3/25)
Key Master
Optimist Prime (Springer 3/30)
Stroker (Springer 3/28)
Ramblin' Man (Springer 4/3/06 & HF 6/15/06)
Corporal (section with Ramblin' Man)
Chuck Norris (Springer 3/28)
Tigger (Springer 3/28)
Cuahoga
Halfpint (Springer 3/28)
Smooth
Further
Hawaii (Springer 3/29)
Stitches (Miss Janet's 4/23)
Vegas

http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/bounce013.gif

mt squid

jmcgarrahan
05-11-2007, 21:58
Low Branch & Hang Glider, The Relax Inn, Atkins, VA Tonight

mountain squid
05-12-2007, 16:03
Not quite as hot today, had some rainhttp://www.freesmileys.org/emo/ad/badday.gif this morning but otherwise just cloudy. Cruised up to TN91 for a short hike:

Iceman (WB username the_iceman)
Little Bug Shoe (Springer 3/26)
Scuffles (Springer 3/26)
August
Buttercup (second Buttercup I've met)
Montana Mack
Downhill

http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/eatdrink015.gif

mt squid

mweinstone
05-12-2007, 18:24
yeah squidward! great goin with the reports. im ashamed to not know where baltimore jack is. please pm me if you know. ive lost one of my own that was given to me by the father. im in deep crap.find jack find jack!!!!!!!

emerald
05-13-2007, 00:34
http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/ad/badday.gif

Don't anyone tell BlackCloud.;)

RockStar
05-13-2007, 00:38
How in the heck do you ppl get those smileys! Do you have them already on your pc and attatch them or what? Im so jealous!

emerald
05-13-2007, 01:07
What's wrong, RockStar?http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/think004.gif

mweinstone
05-13-2007, 07:12
baltimore jack tarlin and the dude aka bfitz are in the house. janets house! were all havin din din tuesday nite. me and blistersister are bringing a live cow. sorry , having a live cow in gleefull antisipation.the dude is under house arrest for makeing miss janet spank him twice each day of his way too long stay. and blojack is forgivin for turning purple red each night playing laugh to death games, cause he cooks good shrimp. and i will pay the phone bill witch there running up what with there hollywood lifestyles ,..calling people just to turn purple and get spanked. i will also eat everything edible within a five mile eating range of janet. and i will then move to the next town, eating relentlessly. first just food. later ,..buildings,.. and finally the whole earth shall i devour in my hunger for solid nutrition. mmmmmm gravy. at least janet will have the oppurtunity to be pampered for one day. yeah, by pampering , i mean in the morning when i ask her to make me three flavors of gravy,( a feat that is usually reserved for AT black tie events such as soruck) she'll get to do it for a quiet thankfull hiker. and after i slurp and pigout and eat the biggest breakfast she can cook,...ill tip her good. a single solid gold matthewski peck. on her cheek.and then ill tell her i can only do the dishes my way . the wasteing water and soap way. and ill smile and go,..kidding janet,...i like the rules of her house. they are one. respect. think about this guys!lol!xoxoxoxoxoxoxmat

RockStar
05-13-2007, 08:47
What's wrong, RockStar?http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/think004.gif

I was jealous of all the cute smileys and yet someone has pmed me and broken their silence. http://re3.mm-a2.yimg.com/image/2330595962 So now I am stocking up!

emerald
05-13-2007, 09:50
I was jealous of all the cute smileys ...

:-? RockStar, you appear to have succeeded in posting a digital image, but I'm less than certain there will be general agreement your out-of-season vegetable qualifies as a smiley, although I concede your image is likely to cause some readers to smile.

Myself, I'm undecided as to whether your image counts as a smiley and don't believe I can make that determination without input from ms doolittle.

BTW, what does corn have to do with Green Hornet? I fail to see the connection, unless your post is some sort of picnic-related reference.:confused:

mountain squid
05-13-2007, 11:11
UHOH, more Smiley envyhttp://www.smileyvillage.com/smilies/confused0089.gifand, I must admit, that I am also confused about the gigantic ear of cornhttp://www.freesmileys.org/emo/confused013.gif. As for the 'black rain cloud', it wasn't raining too hard yesterday. It was more like thishttp://www.freesmileys.org/emo/happy063.gif.

No Baltimore Jack sightings for me yet. The closest encounter was 'Texas Jack' way back at the beginning of April.

http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/happy023.gif

mt squid

peanuts
05-14-2007, 11:17
ok guys, where do they come from?????????

peanuts
05-14-2007, 11:18
i found them, freesmileys.org.....

emerald
05-14-2007, 15:53
i found them, freesmileys.org.....

Peanuts, gohttp://www.snoopy.com/comics/peanuts/fun_and_games/images/c_icond.gif (http://www.snoopy.com)now. You have no idea what you're missing!

RockStar
05-14-2007, 16:33
:-? RockStar, you appear to have succeeded in posting a digital image, but I'm less than certain there will be general agreement your out-of-season vegetable qualifies as a smiley, although I concede your image is likely to cause some readers to smile.

Myself, I'm undecided as to whether your image counts as a smiley and don't believe I can make that determination without input from ms doolittle.

BTW, what does corn have to do with Green Hornet? I fail to see the connection, unless your post is some sort of picnic-related reference.:confused:

LOL Actually I was just eating corn and looking for a quick smiley. Found the ear of corn and thought it was cute! lol Made me look twice before biting into the corn! ;) And here is the corn in my stomach.. http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/dance006.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

emerald
05-14-2007, 18:02
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
-Churchill

Truer words were never spoken!:D

mountain squid
05-15-2007, 19:49
Shelter work at Roan High Knob todayhttp://www.freesmileys.org/emo/chores039.gif. Saw the following hikers passing by:

Politician
Blue
Candy Bar
Tatonka (Springer 3/28)
Dog Man
Are we there yet?
Joker
Tinkerbell

Stopped by Kincora on the way home:

Slo Far (WB username eric plano)
Rebel
Kate
Tenacious T
Radar
Blackfoot
Talkerman (Springer 3/29)
Talk's Bro
Stumbleweed
Just Jack (Springer 3/31 - WB user)
Clip Springer

http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/happy090.gif

mt squid

mambo_tango
05-18-2007, 13:43
Yay! I love the wave Mt Squid. That is awesome!

warraghiyagey
05-18-2007, 19:46
LOL Actually I was just eating corn and looking for a quick smiley. Found the ear of corn and thought it was cute! lol Made me look twice before biting into the corn! ;) And here is the corn in my stomach.. http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/dance006.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

And hopefully no more graphics or photos will be necessary as the corn reaches the terminus of the digestion process.:rolleyes:

mountain squid
05-23-2007, 09:14
Well, too many sightings from Trail Days (hope everyone had funhttp://www.freesmileys.org/emo/ad/tomato.gif) and Hard Core (more to follow on Hard Core) to recount. So, I'll pick up from Stonewall, Laces and Pi's (they were all at Hard Core) hiker feed http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/eatdrink015.gifat Partnership Shelter yesterday:

Spock
Stealth
Worm
Handlebar (Manchester Ctr, VT 8/15/06)
Sir Privy Winks (Springer 4/2)
Sanford
Vegas (Springer 3/24 and Kincora 5/11)
Artist formerly known as Ellie May
Ranger Jan
Mayo
Cobweb
Nice-Enuff (Mountaineer Falls Shelter 5/5 and Hard Core)
Jon Phipps
Gray Turtle (WB username glbennaz - Springer 4/1)
Leatherneck (WB username Leatherneck07)

http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/ad/fire.gif

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Heater
05-23-2007, 10:18
And hopefully no more graphics or photos will be necessary as the corn reaches the terminus of the digestion process.:rolleyes:

http://www.feebleminds-gifs.com/smiley-faces-86.gif

RockStar
05-23-2007, 12:00
LMFAO 678910 characters hahahahaaaaa*said with count from sesame streets voice

TOW
05-23-2007, 12:12
Just Jack is sitting here in the library and has been slack packing the area for the last week.........

ms doolittle
05-24-2007, 21:38

No, no that's definitely not a smiley. http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/confused009.gif

And while we're on the subject, does anyone know where the fark Green Hornet is??? Nobody has heard from the boy since the 14th (he was in Pearisburg).

I've been off in the Grand Canyon and the last I got was a letter post-dated 5/14. I've been given the duty of his mail drops (unbeknownst to him) and I'm not certain when he'll be in Waynesboro.

Ah well. I'll be down there this weekend. I figured I'd hunt him down and hog tie him while he listens to me go into great detail about what I went through in the Ditch. :( The hog tie'ing part could be quite entertaining, the rest, not so much..... http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/sad014.gif

Stonewall
05-24-2007, 22:53
Well, too many sightings from Trail Days (hope everyone had funhttp://www.freesmileys.org/emo/ad/tomato.gif) and Hard Core (more to follow on Hard Core) to recount. So, I'll pick up from Stonewall, Laces and Pi's (they were all at Hard Core) hiker feed http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/eatdrink015.gifat Partnership Shelter yesterday:

Spock
Stealth
Worm
Handlebar (Manchester Ctr, VT 8/15/06)
Sir Privy Winks (Springer 4/2)
Sanford
Vegas (Springer 3/24 and Kincora 5/11)
Artist formerly known as Ellie May
Ranger Jan
Mayo
Cobweb
Nice-Enuff (Mountaineer Falls Shelter 5/5 and Hard Core)
Jon Phipps
Gray Turtle (WB username glbennaz - Springer 4/1)
Leatherneck (WB username Leatherneck07)

don't forget Park Bench

Wow:jump I didn't realize we fed 20 people and had food left over in the morning. 32 hotdogs 12 burgers, 3 cases of beer, pop, brownies, pie, watermelon, and a good amount of other stuff. Everyone went to bed happy and full... but the pizza shack lost business that night....hehe :D I had a great time and am looking foward to doing more magic in the near future.

emerald
05-25-2007, 00:28
No, no that's definitely not a smiley. http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/confused009.gif

Okay, my mind is made up!:D

mountain squid
05-25-2007, 08:32
http://www.smileyvillage.com/smilies/ashamed0003.gif OOPS... http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/sad041.gifPark Bench. No excuses...(and I know him from last year...)http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/sad031.gif

Good catch, Stonewall...He must have blended in with the other park bencheshttp://www.smileyvillage.com/smilies/rolleye0012.gif ...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

ands52
05-25-2007, 10:17
Has anyone encountered not guilty? If yes, tell him Andrea says hey!

mountain squid
05-25-2007, 20:51
http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/bounce015.gifAfter Hard Core <VOLUNTEER> and the subsequent shuttling back of hikers, Kincora has returned to normalhttp://www.smileyvillage.com/smilies/happy0107.gif:

jettjames (actually in Damascus - WB user)
Bullwinkle (actually in Damascus - Springer 3/26)
Fish Stick (actually in Damascus - Springer 3/26)
Bill the Pony
Clover
Fork Lift
Dale
Rob
Slick
Snake Charmer
Back Track

See you on the trail,
mt squid

jmcgarrahan
05-26-2007, 13:47
Low Branch called from the top of Bluff Mountain, he and Barry Manilow are planning to hike to Motebello by 11am tomorrow where they hope to take advantage of the free lunch given to thru hikers courtesy of the Dutch Haus B & B.

Whistler
05-26-2007, 14:23
Currently in Harper's Ferry:

Whistler
Retread
Iceman
Flyaway
Cheez
Widowmaker
Footpump
Trash Bag
Rodeo Clown
Ben
Amanda
Johnny Mudd
Katerpillar

The photo log shows only 120 thru-hikers have arrived in HF so far.
-Mark

mountain squid
05-26-2007, 20:43
I reckon Harpers Ferry will start getting crowdedhttp://www.freesmileys.org/emo/gen146.gifsoon.

So, there is a Barry Manilow out there. I've met Chuck Norris several times. Has anybody seen any other celebrities on the trail this year?http://www.smileyvillage.com/smilies/character00113.gif

Short day hike North of Watauga Dam Rd:

Highlander (from '99)
Jen
Coldilocks
Sudoku
Stranded
Pinball Wizard
Skip Trace (Springer 3/31)
Cap'n Jack

http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/ad/starwars.gifIt was 30 years ago... (probably won't ever have a reason to use a Star Wars smiley again)...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

emerald
05-26-2007, 21:24
Has anyone encountered not guilty?

If this hiker to whom you refer is one of those repeat offenders, I don't care what he calls himself, he's guilty!:D

mountain squid
05-29-2007, 16:34
Finished working on Roan High Knob shelter today and cut about 25 blow downshttp://www.freesmileys.org/emo/chores018.gif, as well. Only saw one current hiker, Otter and his dog, Trail Max. Met another interesting hiker, though. John came out and helped work on the shelter. He is a 2000 miler. He started his hike in '67 (I think) and finished in '80. He comes out when he can and tries to get at least 100 hours/yr. John is 92...Go John Go...http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/happy096.gif

See you on the trail,
mt squid

I may have to head North soon, running out of hikers to encounter down here...http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/transport027.gif

jmcgarrahan
05-29-2007, 16:41
Virginia, Squid Virginia.......thats where they are.:clap

emerald
05-30-2007, 00:53
http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/transport027.gif

How many forward speeds do you have?

http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/chores018.gif
This guy seems to be cutting nothing but air, or is that the Fraser fir growers harvest dance?

Jaybird
05-30-2007, 06:01
i saw "Jigsaw" a couple weeks ago....does that count?:D

the Nighthawk
05-30-2007, 13:57
I attempted a thru-hike (NOBO) this year and was forced to leave the trail due to a serious illness in my family. My trailname was (is) "Nighthawk" and I was one-third of the group known as the "Boyz II Maine." For those of you who knew us over the 1,100 miles we covered, this is an update to what happened to us.

I also have a question. I started on February 13 from Springer with an amazing guy by the name of "Grateful" (given name Mike). I called Harpers Ferry a couple weeks ago to see if he had passed through, but they had no record of him. Can anyone please inform me if he is still on the trail and his approximate location?

Also, where is the biggest swarm of hikers. I am thinking of a little trail magic vacation next week and want to find some in need of refreshing.

Thanks!

-(the) Nighthawk

Pacific Tortuga
05-30-2007, 16:40
Nighthawk, sorry to hear you all were unable to finish what you started but understand family comes first.

You guys looked strong when I saw you near Kinkora. I hope you have a chance to try it again, say hi to

the boyz and have a cool summer, hopefully under some stars and a camp fire.

mountain squid
05-30-2007, 17:05
Welcome to the Section Hiker Club, Nighthawk...I would tend to agree with jmcgarrahan...somewhere in Virginia is where they be...pick a spot on the Blue Ridge Pway or Skyline Drivehttp://www.freesmileys.org/emo/eatdrink015.gif.

http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/transport027.gifI'm not sure how many gears this guy has. I just like the smiley...I bet this guy is faster though
http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/transport010.gif...
No dancing involved, this is what happened to the treeshttp://www.freesmileys.org/emo/chores017.gif...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Heater
05-30-2007, 17:06
I attempted a thru-hike (NOBO) this year and was forced to leave the trail due to a serious illness in my family. My trailname was (is) "Nighthawk" and I was one-third of the group known as the "Boyz II Maine." For those of you who knew us over the 1,100 miles we covered, this is an update to what happened to us.

I also have a question. I started on February 13 from Springer with an amazing guy by the name of "Grateful" (given name Mike). I called Harpers Ferry a couple weeks ago to see if he had passed through, but they had no record of him. Can anyone please inform me if he is still on the trail and his approximate location?

Also, where is the biggest swarm of hikers. I am thinking of a little trail magic vacation next week and want to find some in need of refreshing.

Thanks!

-(the) Nighthawk

I would think somewhere around middle Va, oir maybe even Harpers Ferry.

Give or take a couple of weeks. :D

emerald
05-30-2007, 17:41
No dancing involved, this is what happened to the treeshttp://www.freesmileys.org/emo/chores017.gif...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Now I get the picture!;) Check out the wood splitter's eyes and mouth just prior to imparting the axe blow.:eek:

Chtaffy
05-31-2007, 21:34
I was on the southern section of the Long Trail this weekend and saw in the shelter journals that a few Thru hikers that had passed through recently. I saw sign in's from Fedex, Woodstock and Barkworm?
Mouseman

jodestick
06-01-2007, 07:05
I saw Rambo Rob and Blue Song this week at Mt. Harbour. I also ran into Iron Will on Roan Mt., Big Cat and Tyvek at Curley Maple Gap, and I last saw Longstar on Roan Mt.

mountain squid
06-02-2007, 10:58
Well, everyone is not out of TN yethttp://www.freesmileys.org/emo/ad/wiggle.gif. Some of the late April and May starters are still milling abouthttp://www.freesmileys.org/emo/ad/yikes.gif. Saw the following hikers at Kincora yesterday:

Huff
Unicycle Pirate
Blue Song
Birch Bark (WB username BirchBark)
Spill the Beans
Beauty
Beast

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Marla in the Mts
06-03-2007, 13:31
I saw The Dude in Harpers Ferry and Focus passing through Gathland State Park, MD.

Gaiter
06-03-2007, 14:59
i asked this on early bird's progress report,
which the dude,
i've meet two this year and early bird mentioned a third, red head variety http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24967

the one i'm wondering about is 'the dude' w/ light brown hair, late 20's-early 30's, hiking on pennies, literally he had only spent $40 before he got to erwin has anyone seen him, is he still on the trail?

celt
06-03-2007, 17:02
Woodstock was spotted between Hanover and Glencliff on May 26th.

mountain squid
06-03-2007, 19:24
http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/shocked016.gifWow. Woodstock in Glencliff. I saw him in Erwin way back in Mar. He is making the mileshttp://www.freesmileys.org/emo/happy079.gif...Go Woodstockhttp://www.smileyvillage.com/smilies/party0049.gif...Go Woodstock...

There must be alot of dudes on the trailhttp://www.freesmileys.org/emo/confused013.gif...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Lone Wolf
06-03-2007, 19:26
sighting thru-hikers is SOOO rare! how amazing

1Pint
06-03-2007, 19:35

Come on Lone Wolf, stop being a brat. This thread is for those of us who want to keep tabs on some of this year's group. Let us have our fun. I enjoy reading where people are and who they're with.

I'm looking forward to posting some thru-hiker sightings when I get back from doing a little trail magic this coming week. In fact, I'm off to pack the car right now. Have a great week all! :)

Laura/1Pint

Lugnut
06-03-2007, 22:00
He said just a week ago that he was going to quit being so negative. I gave 25 to 1 odds. I win ! ! ! :banana

smokymtnsteve
06-03-2007, 22:26

"real" thru hikers don't exsist..most of'em hitch hike into towns and stay in motels and hostels and stuff,,, IMO once you come off the trail and git ina car to ride to town, you have finished that section hike,,, after U leave town and start hiking again , you are just doing another section hike..

so your right as usual LW sighting a thru hiker is SOOO rare...

the Nighthawk
06-03-2007, 23:30
I always wonder why anyone thinks that he or she is able to define some common trail term, e.g. "thru-hiker," better than the next person. For one to pretend that he has come to philosophical epiphany about the essence of a "thru-hiker" is little more than ill-conceived self-absorption. I found the following description of what it means to be a thru-hiker on reference.com:

"Thru-hiking is the process of hiking a long-distance trail from end to end. The term is most commonly associated with the Appalachian Trail, but is also used for other lengthy trails and long distance hikes, including the Pacific Crest Trail, and the Continental Divide Trail. Section hiking refers to hiking a complete trail by hiking all of its individual sections, not in continuity or, necessarily, in sequence."

So it seems the matter at stake here is the definition of the word "continuity." It so happens that the Oxford English Dictionary defines continuity of immaterial things (actions, processes, etc.) as: "The state or quality of being uninterrupted in sequence or succession, or in essence or idea; connectedness, coherence, unbrokenness."

Thus, I can certainly understand how smokeymtnsteve's finds it fit to use his personal definition for thru-hiker, in fact I tend to personally support his definition more closely than I would support most people's definitions of "thru-hiker." However, if one chooses to actually consult the meaning of words in the language he speaks, as opposed to making bullheaded statements without citing facts to back them, this rational individual will see that a "thru-hiker" need not necessairly conform to the aforementioned definition at all.

Since the authoratative reference on defining words in the English language, and not just some personal opinion, defines continuity as being able to incorporate, "The state or quality of being uninterrupted in essence or idea," into its definition, it seems that a persons mental state can define whether the hike is a thru-hike or not. I am relatively sure that not even smokeymtnsteve would portend to be able to gauge all other hikers' mental states.

smokymtnsteve
06-03-2007, 23:36
wow nighthawk...what a come back :D

and to think I wuz jist tryin to say HOWDY to LW;)

Lone Wolf
06-04-2007, 06:01
He said just a week ago that he was going to quit being so negative. I gave 25 to 1 odds. I win ! ! ! :banana

i ain't being negative. i'm being sarcastic.

mweinstone
06-04-2007, 16:23
lonewolf can look in the mirror if he wants to see thruhikers. yeah,..one beer, one hiker. 6 beers, two hikers and so on till all the beers and all the thruhikers get mixed up in his head. come morning a thruhiker walks by him on the street and lonewolf smells their swillike stench and is confused. did i see this guy last night or was that just my blurry drunken vision looking in the mirror while i was barfing going,... whos that stenchfull thruhiker standing next to me? then gypsy brings him two asprin and a coffie and when his head clears, he realizes it was just himself looking and stenching back at him. lol.

mountain squid
06-04-2007, 19:47
Yesterday, I dropped offhttp://www.freesmileys.org/emo/transport027.gifSuperstar and Magnet (from '99) at TN 91. I met Superstar last yr in ME before she achieved Superstar status. She was just Allison A back then. She is piecing together her SOBO hike and finishing up this yr.

While at TN 91, I saw Huff (Kincora 6/1) and Scratches.

Today, at Miss Janet's http://www.smileyvillage.com/smilies/winking0053.gif:

McCray
Rambo Ron (another '06 SOBO - who will be the last?)
Mr. Burns
Dr. Strangelove
Gray JAY

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Dholmblad
06-07-2007, 20:46
I met superstar in Brown gap.

emerald
06-08-2007, 16:36
I met superstar in Brown gap.

I heckled RockStar earlier in this very thread.:rolleyes: ;)

mountain squid
06-08-2007, 17:32
And then RockStar threw a gigantic ear of corn...

http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/merv/office.gif

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Kerosene
06-08-2007, 18:14
I hiked SOBO from Atkins to Damascus this week and ran into the following hope-to-be thru-hikers:

Chopsticks
Comet
Scofield
Everclear
Politician
(Turbo) Turtle
Lazy Legs
Redbeard
Olympian & Reese's Piece
Ping
Jolly Green (who generously gave me food after my food cache was raided)
Spud
Lentil
Pippi
Beauty & The Beast
Needles & Pit Stop
Walkin' Wally
Calm Waters
Birch Bark
Fishman

Also encountered the following section hikers:

Rocker (SOBO)
Map & son Bulletproof (Atkins to Damascus)
Iron Will (GA to HF)
Otay (Damascus to ME)
Drunk Warren & Big Dave (Atkins to Damascus)

I passed a number of other northbounders but didn't get their names (or forgot them). Most of the people I had met (around Mile 500) started from Springer in late April or early May, but there were a few (like Lentil) who started in early April and were just havin' a good time moving north. Everyone was in a pretty good mood as the sun was shining and the scenery was awesome. Trip report to come.

mountain squid
06-08-2007, 18:16
Did some weed wacking http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/chores005.gif (the trail gets overgrown quickly, doesn't it?) North of 19E today:

Breezy
Snow Bird
Little Engine
Caboose
Buffet
Grace
Matt
Nate
Elijah
Dandelion
http://www.smileyvillage.com/smilies/character00291.gif
Most were sectioning but a few are headed to ME.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

mweinstone
06-08-2007, 18:17
see the fool on the hill?

good song.

emerald
06-09-2007, 09:46
And then RockStar threw a gigantic ear of corn...

http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/merv/office.gif

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Guess she couldn't find an overipe tomato smiley.:rolleyes: :D

1Pint
06-09-2007, 12:55
On Wednesday, June 6th, I saw the following at Rockfish Gap aka Waynesboro:
Jaybeard and ?? (sorry)
Mangrove
TrailDancer
WillieGoat
Jimeny Cricket
Bird Legs
Bad Influence
Bonafide and her dog Bone

On Thursday, June 7th, I saw the following at 624/311 aka Catawba:
Chaco
Candy Bar
Bigby
G
Jake
Blackfoot (another Jake)
Tater (Brady)
Boognish
RockHound
Dirty
Red's Man
Edge
DOT
JediBurger (SOBO from Pa/Md border to Springer)

refreeman
06-10-2007, 14:36
I met The Professor at William Brien Memorial Shelter in New York's Harriman State Park on June 8th 2007. The Professor is very near the front of the pack of the Class of 2007 North Bound Thru Hikers. The professor said he started at Springer in mid February 2007. He said he was #40 when he was at Damascus. He's the first NOBO that I've seen this season. The NOBO crowd really thins out after Damascus, I wonder if he is now #1. I promised The Professor I'd post this photo, its in the Thru Hiker Gallery, hopefully his family will find it. By the way, The Professor seems to be in good spirits and fit condition; I’ll bet he completes his trek.

mountain squid
06-11-2007, 11:17
http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/gen155.gifOn Sat saw Ukulele at Watauga Dam Rd.http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/music014.gif

See you on the trail,
mt squid

http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/sick003.gif1Pint, How is the ankle? Hope it is healing properly.http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/happy014.gif

jmcgarrahan
06-11-2007, 13:51
Low Branch is in Harpers Ferry, he saw Barry Manilow and M & M at the ATC today around Noon.

emerald
06-11-2007, 15:35
I saw 2 hikers, somewhere, recently. Those who have been following my posts probably know who.:-? They're going all the way I tell you!:)

I'm still hoping 1Pint will make it to Katahdin too, but it might take her a bit longer. That's okay, I can wait.;)

wilconow
06-11-2007, 15:41
http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/gen155.gifOn Sat saw Ukulele at Watauga Dam Rd.

Curtis from Standing Bear loved this guy. When he was shuttling us to Spivey Gap, we stopped in Hot Springs to drop a cache at Elmer's. When driving past the bridge, Curtis spotted Ukulele, slammed the brakes, backed up the car (some cars where a bit behind us, a bit scary), and yelled "There's my hiker!"

Chaco Taco
06-13-2007, 20:54
I have been away for awhile. Just wante dto se eif anyone knows of any of the hikers I was with on my hike.

Did Otto ever make it out of Dot's?
Anyone spotted Hike and Catepillar?

Glad to see Fed Ex and crew are doing so well!

ms doolittle
06-13-2007, 21:42
Green Hornet was in Boiling Springs to pick up his food today at around 2pm. He's on his way to Port Clinton where I'll be kidnapping him from the trail for 2 days and then spending a night on trail with him. I'll then be ushering him to a child's birthday party on the Summer Solstice for copious amounts of pizza, cake, and adult beverage. http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/eatdrink047.gif http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/eatdrink024.gif

Old Hillwalker
06-14-2007, 07:33
Coming down off Smart's Mtn yesterday while I was going up to to trail work, I passed two very pretty young women, and two guys. The first three zoomed past before I could get their trailnames, but the last guy was a bit behind and I got him to stop for a sec. His T-name was Stash. I have to remember to keep my little name book in my pocket instead of in my pack :o.

mountain squid
06-19-2007, 10:15
http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/transport027.gif...heading North...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

emerald
06-20-2007, 17:27
:-? If you drive like that guy in the last post, you're apt to get pulled over!

Lilred
06-21-2007, 12:09
I got off the trail at Catawba on Monday the 18th. Ran into Sled Dog (the normal one) hiking with Red Line. Hiked awhile with Bonnie and Clyde, BP, Nutella, Fast Lane, Skittles and Michaela. Met Tennis with his 30yo J.C.Penny tent. It was huge, I could stand up in it. Looked like a little house all set up and could probably sleep 5. It was awesome. That's all I can remember right now.

Auntie Mame
06-21-2007, 20:56
Mrs. Uncle Tom, here. Had a tremendous time meeting various '07 trail luminaries while getting my first visit to Tom in 10 weeks... Thunder, who lost 35# already, and Ishmael, a 45# loser were at the Hilltop when we were heading out to breakfast Friday. They indulged me in lots of gear chat, while we dug into some major omelets and Belgian waffles at Mountain View Diner, before our assault on the super Walmart. Had dinner that day on the deck at Secret Six with most of the Texas Franchise and the Maine Train. Finally got to meet Rangoon and his lovely lady friend. We met the auburn haired Captain, who was looking like he might need to leave the trail awhile, (moment of silence)... and Queso, the loyal and sacrificing steward of Denny, the hiking dog; and the fountain of stories and tales, not to mention photos, the good Gen'l Lee. On Saturday, we encountered LT, Life Traveler, and Mountain Mike with little Pumpkin. Had another memorable breakfast at the main street cafe whose name I don't recall. Threads of conversation about living simply and how utterly countercultural that is right now. Spirit was checking in at the Hilltop when we were heading out for something or other. We gave her a lift to the PO, and a visit to the 7-11, for both of us to tank up on snacks, while Uncle Tom got on-line at the town library. Sat. night we saw Slammer, a Colorado long-distance section hiker chowing down at the Anvil. At the ATC we saw Buttercup and her visiting husband, and caught sight of Shadow and Numbtoe, Pearls and Starvin' Marvin. For a dedicated onlooker such as myself, this was a goldmine of contact with trail life and the good energy that goes with that. Peace Out.:banana

wilconow
06-21-2007, 22:36
Mrs. Uncle Tom, here. Had a tremendous time meeting various '07 trail luminaries while getting my first visit to Tom in 10 weeks... Thunder, who lost 35# already, and Ishmael, a 45# loser were at the Hilltop when we were heading out to breakfast Friday. They indulged me in lots of gear chat, while we dug into some major omelets and Belgian waffles at Mountain View Diner, before our assault on the super Walmart. Had dinner that day on the deck at Secret Six with most of the Texas Franchise and the Maine Train. Finally got to meet Rangoon and his lovely lady friend. We met the auburn haired Captain, who was looking like he might need to leave the trail awhile, (moment of silence)... and Queso, the loyal and sacrificing steward of Denny, the hiking dog; and the fountain of stories and tales, not to mention photos, the good Gen'l Lee. On Saturday, we encountered LT, Life Traveler, and Mountain Mike with little Pumpkin. Had another memorable breakfast at the main street cafe whose name I don't recall. Threads of conversation about living simply and how utterly countercultural that is right now. Spirit was checking in at the Hilltop when we were heading out for something or other. We gave her a lift to the PO, and a visit to the 7-11, for both of us to tank up on snacks, while Uncle Tom got on-line at the town library. Sat. night we saw Slammer, a Colorado long-distance section hiker chowing down at the Anvil. At the ATC we saw Buttercup and her visiting husband, and caught sight of Shadow and Numbtoe, Pearls and Starvin' Marvin. For a dedicated onlooker such as myself, this was a goldmine of contact with trail life and the good energy that goes with that. Peace Out.:banana

Uncle Tom has a great Trail Journal!

Auntie Mame
06-21-2007, 23:34
I'll pass that along. Thank you!

mountain squid
06-22-2007, 19:41
http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/merv/rock.gifYesterday at Rockfish Gap:

Bean
She Ra (Springer 4/1)
He Man (Springer 4/1)
Wonderful Wooly

At various points in Shenandoah NP:

Talkerman (Springer 3/29, Kincora 5/15)
Comet
Tree Work
Fuzzy Monkey
Copperhead (Springer 3/24)
Chaco
Arewethereyet? (Roan Mt 5/15)
Little Bug Shoe (Springer 3/26, TN91 5/12)
Scuffles (Springer 3/26, TN91 5/12)
Lightweight (Hard Core)
Popeye (Hard Core)

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Lone Wolf
06-22-2007, 19:46
Today and for the last few months i've seen hundreds of wannabe thru-hikers and have failed to get thier names! :eek:

Lone Wolf
06-22-2007, 19:49
Today and for the last few months i've seen hundreds of wannabe thru-hikers and have failed to get thier names! :eek:

could be cuz i'm totally unimpressed!:-? :banana :D

wilconow
06-22-2007, 23:42
talk to yourself much?

mountain squid
06-24-2007, 09:47
Yesterday at Harpers Ferry:

Shades of Blue (WB user with journal http://www.whiteblaze.net/journals/browsecategory.php?c=6&entryuserid=1498)
Lion
Wolf Taffy
Little Thinker
Spider Girl
Swamp
Iceman (TN91 5/12)
Buffalo Bobby (Springer 4/1)
Chimp
Alden (Hard Core)
Chuck Norris (Springer 3/28, Hard Core)
Tigger (Springer 3/28, Hard Core)
Cheeks (Springer 3/24, Kincora 5/2, Watauga Dam Rd 5/4)
Steps Small (Kincora 5/2, Watauga Dam Rd 5/4)
Tumbleweed
Rocket
Pete
http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/happy087.gif
See you on the trail,
mt squid

PS. If you ever plan a trip to HF, go during the week - It was very busy on the weekend...http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/happy039.gif

trailangelmary
06-24-2007, 18:12
P-Ray
Grasshopper
Calamity Jane
Signage
Noodles
Bucket & Water
Blue
TDS

Lone Wolf
06-24-2007, 18:18
spotting "thru-hikers" is so rare. you can only spot them at Katahdin. and how do you know if they didn't cheat?:-?

smokymtnsteve
06-24-2007, 18:22
guess these folks are seeing thru-hiker wanna-bees?

trailangelmary
06-24-2007, 18:22
Mr. Fred
Pi & Laces - Laces B-Day and Pi - Last 37 miles of '06 Southbound
Chips
Shaggy
Strider
Hellbender
Broadway
Pinky
Silverheels
Natural High
Whistler
Mt Cameron
Ladybug
Autumn Joy
Martini & Rossi
Freight Train
Katterpillar
Caps
Night Ridert
Grasshopper
Twofer
Rosco
Queerwolf
Tex
Fireball
Fidel
Blowout
Flax Seed & Sister

These are only some that have come through Duncannon. The ones I have had the pleasure of meeting. To see who else has made it this far see the Doyle Hotel Web page.

Lone Wolf
06-24-2007, 18:24
Queerwolf

he's the one in the family we don't talk about

mweinstone
06-24-2007, 18:51
pritty distant reletive? not that theres anything wrong with it if he is a close one. oh say,..like a non identical twin. cause that might exsplaine the feelings your exspirencing. im here if ya need me bro.

smokymtnsteve
06-24-2007, 18:54
ah come on LW, i've been around lots of dog yards,,,ALL CANINES sniff and hump on each other.

ms doolittle
06-24-2007, 20:14
So, earlier this week I went and plucked Green Hornet off the trail from Port Clinton, PA. He's making fabulous time. We made out the rest of his mail drop schedule and have an estimated summit date for Katahdin. He started on 3/27 and has come a long way already.

He took a nero and a zero with me on Monday and Tuesday. Rather, his zero should be marked as a nero, because, all we did was run around trying to get things arranged for the last leg of his trip. So, essentially, he did 5 neros last week. :p

Wed., I dropped him off at Hawk Mtn Road to hike south to Windsor Furnace Shelter to meet up with me (I hiked north from Port Clinton and had the trail allll to myself. Nice and quiet) (and no, he didn't slack pack).

Thursday, after we got off the trail and were porperly fed at the Port Clinton Hotel (yummy cheesesteaks!), I kidnapped him and headed to another friend's house in Port Clinton. That night, we planned out the rest of his mail drops.

Friday afternoon came waaay too soon. I dropped him off at Hawk Mtn Rd where we said our goodbyes so he could finish the rest of his hike north.

So, here's a list of thru's I passed at various moments of the week:

G.G. (Gentle Giant) and Rhodendrun - Quite possibly the nicest people ever on the trail. I met them in VA and loved them instantly. Plus, they remembered me from VA!

The two others, I can't remember their names (Sorry! :( ). They met on the trail and are traveling as a couple now.

On an overnighter with a friend from 501 Shelter to Hertlein Campsite:
Two Dogs (should have made Port Clinton today)
Gandolf (same as above)

At the Microtel in Hamburg we saw:
Beach Bum
Stretch (who was getting treated for a serious reaction to Poison Ivy)

emerald
06-24-2007, 20:36
So sorry to hear you are stuck in Carlisle. I do hope you will be able to free yourself soon.;)

Carbo
06-25-2007, 09:55
Yesterday, Wind Gap, PA:

Lucky
Gorilla

ms doolittle
06-25-2007, 20:19
So sorry to hear you are stuck in Carlisle. I do hope you will be able to free yourself soon.;)
I've officially been removed. :D

My car, on the other hand, is still stuck in a time warp. Hopefully the insurance companies figure out what's going on soon. I'd like to get rid of this gas guzzler and get my little car back. :(

Lugnut
06-27-2007, 21:38
Yesterday at Brown Mountain Creek:

Worldwide
Bunkers
BP

Marta
06-27-2007, 21:47
Is that the BP who writes for Backpacker, who was hiking last fall? He was behind me so I never met him. I think he hiked with Superstar for a while.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Lugnut
06-27-2007, 23:52
Is that the BP who writes for Backpacker, who was hiking last fall? He was behind me so I never met him. I think he hiked with Superstar for a while.

Marta/Five-Leaf

Yes it is. He's doing multiple flips doing GPS readings as well as gathering other info for some project for Backpacker magazine. Gave him and a female hiker (name escapes me) a ride to Buena Vista. He plans to do another flip at Wayneboro then go to Damascus and finish at Springer.

Lilred
06-28-2007, 00:39
He's carrying a little inflatable Dirk Diggler the traveling gnome. Met him at the hostel in Pearisburg.

trailangelmary
06-28-2007, 09:11
Life Traveler
Pumpkin
P-Ray
Grasshopper
Calamity Jane
Signage
Noodles
Bucket
Water
Blue
Totally Different Subject
Radar
Zero
Mountain Mike & Pumpkin

TOW
06-28-2007, 09:18
GQ, from Australia just used my phone and is hiking out of town north. Started June 1st. Plans on making it all the way, I think he will........

ms doolittle
06-28-2007, 13:52
Good to see TDS is still on trail. I got an e-mail from him about a week ago. He either came down with Lyme's or had a scare.

I see Life Traveler is still at it as well. lol Both hiked with Green Hornet in the beginning. :)

Life Traveler
Pumpkin
P-Ray
Grasshopper
Calamity Jane
Signage
Noodles
Bucket
Water
Blue
Totally Different Subject
Radar
Zero
Mountain Mike & Pumpkin

Cookerhiker
06-29-2007, 19:56
So I'm en-route down I-81 to the Mississippi Gulf Coast for another week's work on rebuilding homes lost in Hurricane Katrina and decide to stop in Groseclose where the Trail crosses I-81. In the restaurant there, I ran into a fellow WBer K1YPP. He started May 17 and plans to flipflop; after reaching Harpers Ferry, he'll head to Katahdin and hike south.

Yesterday working on my section over HighTop Mt in Shenandoah NP, I met BumBum (sp?)

A week ago (late notice, I know) Hikerhead/Holey Poley and I met Torpedo, Luna, Nice Enuff, and Vegas in the Northern District of SNP. On the same trip, I met Backtrack and Bag Lady at Lewis Mountain, also in SNP.

Carbo
07-02-2007, 19:41
Low Branch - 1:30 today, Kirkridge Shelter - thinking of milkshakes, staying with relative tonight in Stroudsburg.
Rain Check, Catch Up also at the shelter moving on to the DWG.
Hemlock, Rio (sp?) 11 AM 2 mi south of DWG.
Grasshopper shooting for Camp Rd/Mohican outdoor center tonight.

All said they're doing fine.

jmcgarrahan
07-05-2007, 14:54
Has anyone seen Low Branch in the last day or two. He hasn't been in touch and hasn't picked up his mail drop in Unionvile, NY as scheduled. Just wondering if anyone has seen him. Thanks

superman
07-05-2007, 15:05
Pat from Maine and I were eating lunch .8 of a mile from the summit of Mt Moosilauke yesterday. "Hasty" showed up and took a break with us. Another thru hiker showed up a short time later (didn't get his name). They thought they were going to catch up to another thru hiker who was ahead of them. Later as we hiked down the mountain the third thru hiker passed us hiking up. He didn't know how the other two had gotten ahead of him.
Just as an aside, both Pat and I remembered the climb up Moosilauke to be more gradual. Oh where have the trail legs gone?

emerald
07-05-2007, 16:22
Has anyone seen Low Branch in the last day or two? He hasn't been in touch and hasn't picked up his mail drop in Unionville, NY as scheduled. Just wondering if anyone has seen him. Thanks

See post #188. It's 51.3 miles from the Delaware River to Unionville. 51.3 &#247; 3 = 17.1 MPD. Might still pick up today or if not in the morning.;)

jmcgarrahan
07-05-2007, 16:37
Yea I saw that post. and I talked to him Monday night. I just know he was planning on doing it in two days, no reason he couldn't others have, and he should be out of food.

Mishigami Manitou
07-06-2007, 11:31
Saw a whole passel of 'em last week from Pen Mar to Boiling Springs.

Among them:

Flying Turtle
Trail Pooh
Forrest
Lion
Wolf Taffy (great banjo, dude)
Moon Goat (and his trusty sidekick Otto the Dog)
Dot
Gimp
Alright

Saw at least eight others that I can't remember their names. There was an older couple on the first leg of the triple crown. Two women together - one from Kentucky. One hiker on the last leg of the triple crown (with the PTC and CDT under his belt). Another hiker on the second leg of the triple crown (with the PTC under his belt). Saw another older guy slackpacking and sleeping every night in hotels. Then we saw another waiting on his very-delayed pack to be delivered from Caledonia SP to Pine Grove - he was doing the ice cream challenge and follow-up puking round while waiting on his pack. There were a couple more that offered just a few grunts as they went by. It's thru-hiker season in PA!

Carbo
07-06-2007, 20:15
Yea I saw that post. and I talked to him Monday night. I just know he was planning on doing it in two days, no reason he couldn't others have, and he should be out of food.

Any word from him yet?

jmcgarrahan
07-06-2007, 20:20
No not yet. But he did retreive his mail drop yesterday before the PO closed, Such a sweet lady working there..Joanne was very sweet

jmcgarrahan
07-06-2007, 20:22
Oh and based on Pootz 07's journal entry for today they are in Vernon, NJ tonight at the church hostel.

Carbo
07-06-2007, 20:50
Probably hunting down a milkshake! He seems ok. Tks for the update.

jmcgarrahan
07-06-2007, 22:11
I spoke with him he is ok. thanks for asking

emerald
07-07-2007, 09:02
I spoke with him he is ok. thanks for asking

Thank you for letting us know he's okay!

emerald
07-07-2007, 09:08
Anyone heard from WhiteBlazer 1Pint? It's been almost a month since her last post.

emerald
07-07-2007, 09:18
A mother and son team from Virginia now in New England has been joined by a family member. ::: Posts here in this manner rather than elsewhere to avoid crushing celebratory dance by Dinosaurus ::::D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-07-2007, 09:43
::: Chunch, chunch, chunch :::

Anyone know where Finnegan is now?

emerald
07-07-2007, 09:50
::: Chunch, chunch, chunch :::

Morning! Enjoying your breakfast this fine day?:)

I heard there are ripe blueberries up ahead on the trail. I hope some still remain when I get there. Blueberry pancakes would really make my day.

::: Walks ever-so-slightly faster, while keeping 1 eye on large animal just off the trail. :::;)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-07-2007, 14:32
::: Silly SOG, Dino doesn't eat blueberries in her pancakes. She eats hiker toes :::

emerald
07-07-2007, 17:02
I figured Dinos don't eat blueberry pancakes. Neither did I this morning.;) I was outta there, let me tell you!:eek:

:-? I sure hope that other unfortunate person can complete his or her hike without toes. Others have managed without them.

jlb2012
07-08-2007, 15:53
I ran into Tortoise today at Hightop Hut in SNP - he had stopped by for lunch I think - headed out with that bigazz pack of his aiming for Bear Fence Hut tonight.

wilconow
07-08-2007, 18:29
just got back from a section in vt. i think i was between groups or something because i didnt see many.

missionary mike
martini & rossi
lost
butch cassidy
thrills
dogfather

modiyooch
07-08-2007, 18:51
I met Buttercup, M&M from NY, and Grasshopper between Sunrise MT and High Point State Park on July 4th.

I met "Mike" in Harriman State Park on July 3. and Tom Dooley NJ/NY state line near Prospect Rock on July 2.

ms doolittle
07-08-2007, 19:35
7/7/07

@ Alec Kennedy Shelter, south of Boiling Springs, we saw Safari26.

I saw, at the ATC in Boiling Springs, PA, Vegas and LifeStrider.

ms doolittle
07-08-2007, 20:11
Correction!

That was Easy Strider.... I got two trail names mixed up. :o He also has a trailjournal. He was downloading his more recent entries from the payphone yesterday morning. http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=5134

7/7/07

@ Alec Kennedy Shelter, south of Boiling Springs, we saw Safari26.

I saw, at the ATC in Boiling Springs, PA, Vegas and LifeStrider.

mountain squid
07-09-2007, 13:14
Hello everyone. Quick update with too many 'sightings' to post now. Currently in Port Clinton, PA (actually at the library in Orwigsburg, PA) with 'Mrs.' Sleeping Beauty. The Band-Aid Kid is doing laundry and sorting through his '5 packages'. Can-do, Will-do is at the pavilion in Port Clinton.

Through Port Clinton the last couple of days:

On7/6/07:
Why Not?
Circadian
Buffalo Bobby
Iceman
Splendora
Chuckles
Jay Silverheels

On 7/7/07:
Swampfoot
Jim
John
Mowgli

On 7/8/07:
Backfire
Spock
Nuclear
Julie

I think alot of hikers were in Duncannon for the feed, so they will be showing up here within the next few days.

I think my time is up here, so no time to search for any smilies, so everyone be imaginitive...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

bigben
07-09-2007, 14:56
Splendora is making some damn good miles! We camped with her and Brad(trailname????) at Blue Mountain shelter in GA on 5/16th. Those are pretty major miles for 7 weeks. That's gotta be averaging over 20 miles a day.

Bigben

Peanut
07-12-2007, 19:29
I just got back from finishing my VT section and enjoyed the company of a few thru hikers. Many of them said I was in a gap. Here are the ones that passed me before (and after :) ) Hanover, NH:

Autumn Joy
Retro
Dice
Broadway
Shaggy
Hellbender
Chips
Strider
Patrick
Missionary Mike

and 2 SOBO: Tristin and David

Good luck everyone!!

Pokey2006
07-13-2007, 04:03
Should have mentioned sooner...saw a guy from Georgia named Diablo at Moose Mtn., NH, last week. He was planning to get into Glencliff on July 3.

trailangelmary
07-17-2007, 17:11
Class of '07 at the Billville Hiker Feed, July 7,8,9
Popeye
Lightweight
White Crow
Lunar
Tortuga
Jedi
Clearwater
Jones & The woofs
Leatherneck
The Dude
Sunnyside
Pebble
Manyarden
unicyclepirate
General Tso
Tennesee Jed
Crazy Horse
Pike County
Way
Big Brother
Sprocket
Director
Gnarly
Matama
Nice
Moonpie
Tuxedo
Sven & Uffda
Birdman
Lucky
Billy the Kid
Tenacious Turtle
DriveBy
Little Bug Shoe
Scuffles
Troll
Double Bird
Futs
Radar
Keystone
Whiz
Jesse Krout
Chuck Norris
Tigger
Sideshow
Rebel
Tumbleweed
Big Sweaty
Critters Dad
Zero

trailangelmary
07-17-2007, 17:12
Class of '07 July 17
Big Foot
No Pain
Worldwide
Pittsburgh

Cookerhiker
07-18-2007, 19:24
My bicycling event at the ATC conference was cancelled due to heavy thunderstorms so I sought out some thruhikers. At the entrance to Harriman Park around 2-3 this afternoon, I met the following:

Comet
SagButt
Kristen (a section hiker)

Gave them all several Reeses bars.

An hour later, I met Flying Dutchman (long section hiker) and Flying Turtle. Gave them a ride to the grocery story in Tuxedo and returned them to the Trail.

Trail weather here: after morning thunderstorms, very humid & muggy. Makes me long for the Fall.

I expect to meet some more thrus tomorrow on the organized Culvers Gap-to-Buttermilk Falls hike.

Cookerhiker
07-18-2007, 19:27
Class of '07 at the Billville Hiker Feed, July 7,8,9
......Critters Dad

Critter was on the trail when I hiked Maine in '05 and her dad joined her at Monson. At the time, he said his trail name was Dad. Is this the same guy?

Cookerhiker
07-19-2007, 20:23
No, I'm not referring to a staple of southern cuisine. Grits is a thruhiker who I met while section hiking in '05 down at No Business Knob Shelter. I met him in '06 at Trail Days. He looks the same - check out his photo in my gallery.

More famously, Grits graced the cover of AT Journeys a few issues ago when they featured photos of thru-hikers. And I met him this morning an hour south of Culvers Gap, NJ. He said he got a later start this year because they didn't release him until late.

Later today hiking south from Cluvers Gap, I also met thrus Further, Ryan, and Rebel

emerald
07-22-2007, 14:36
Does anyone know if WBer Brother in Arms is still SOBO on the A.T.?

jhick
07-23-2007, 08:49
Ran into Black foot and some other hikers that I can't remember their names @ the George Outerbridge shelter. Everyone was in good spirits. We shared some of our supplies and heard some good stories. They said they should hit DWG on Monday.

It was a great day and the view on the North trail was great.

Carbo
07-23-2007, 11:40
Bobcat - this was Saturday (7/14/07) around noon.

emerald
07-23-2007, 14:58
:welcome to Garden State posters jerseyhick and RCC. Except for rare exceptions, I'm always pleased to see new contributors from the middle states.:cool:

emerald
07-23-2007, 15:13
Does anyone know if WBer Brother in Arms is still SOBO on the A.T.?

He emailed yesterday to say he's off the A.T., but he was happy to report he's landed a new job. He also started a thread here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=383348#post383348) yesterday.

ms doolittle
07-23-2007, 18:11
Well, we spotted 3 thru's hiking through Hertlein Campsite (between 501 and 183) in PA yesterday morning. We were cleaning up after a beautiful night of visiting with new friends and old.

Sadly, I did not get trail names. :( But, 2 of the 3 were fed very well. Left over brats, grilled over the fire veggie wraps, Cheeze Its as far as the eye could see and we sent them off with our left over tequila. ;) They left very happy thru-hikers.

The other was offered food as well, but he didn't hear us. He had his MP3 player going and he was cruising.

mrc237
07-23-2007, 18:29
Kevin Diamond------D.O.T.::::::::::Stroker?

emerald
07-23-2007, 20:04
Well, we spotted 3 thru's hiking through Hertlein Campsite (between 501 and 183) in PA yesterday morning.

Had I known you would be there, I would have hiked through myself and visited for a bit.:( You did ascend to the top of the boulder field, didn't you?:)

jhick
07-23-2007, 21:42
Thanks for the welcome! I've not new to hiking, but just really started on the AT between Port Clinton and DWG.... all about 2 hours away. I'm really surprised with section 3 & 4 in PA. Maybe I'm easy to please, but I've really like this area.

I can't believe I didn't get everyone's names at that shelter... maybe I'll stop back and check the register. Hope they all do well.

Carbo
07-24-2007, 08:17
:welcome to Garden State posters jerseyhick and RCC. Except for rare exceptions, I'm always pleased to see new contributors from the middle states.:cool:

Thanks for the welcome!

I was just thinking of all the thru hikers I met here in NJ and PA over the past few weeks. Strange how I can remember dozens of hikers's names and what they looked like, but when I'm at work and get introduced to just one person I forget their name within an hour.

ms doolittle
07-24-2007, 09:10
Had I known you would be there, I would have hiked through myself and visited for a bit.:( You did ascend to the top of the boulder field, didn't you?
Had I known you lived so close to the area, I would have most definitely extended an invite. Next time I know! ;)

Actually, didn't take on the boulder field this time. But, that swimming hole was perrrrrrrrrrrrrrfect. :D

mountain squid
07-25-2007, 16:04
Hello from Dalton, MA...in and/or near Dalton recently:

Sniper
Trail Blazed
Jazz Nuts
Jew Dog
Castanets
Boo-Boo
Wing Heart
Chilly (SOBO)
Big Sky
Marco Solo
Ranger (SOBO)
Slim (SOBO)
T-Wing (SOBO)
Jaybird
Alright
Chopsticks
Backyard Boogie
Low Branch (Hi jmc...heard you were playing hooky from work today:-?)

Once again at a library so don't have time for smiley's...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

jmcgarrahan
07-25-2007, 16:08
HUH! they will just let anyone hang around takin names in MA won't they.....;)
Good to see your still keeping up with everyone Squid....And I am not playin hookey, I am sick...:cool:

mountain squid
07-25-2007, 16:15
Low Branch did say you were sick...so, GET WELL!!!!;) :) :p (and don't be spreading any 'internet' germs around...)

See you on the trail,
mt squid

ms doolittle
07-26-2007, 06:52
So, Mt Squid, can we expect a report from atop Katahdin in about 6-7 weeks from you? ;)

Hope you're feeling better, Jen. :)

Jaybird
07-26-2007, 08:44
Hello from Dalton, MA...in and/or near Dalton recently:
Sniper
Trail Blazed
Jazz Nuts
Jew Dog
Castanets
Boo-Boo
Wing Heart
Chilly (SOBO)
Big Sky
Marco Solo
Ranger (SOBO)
Slim (SOBO)
T-Wing (SOBO)
Jaybird
Alright
Chopsticks
Backyard Boogie
Low Branch (Hi jmc...heard you were playing hooky from work today:-?),
mt squid

Another FAUX "Jaybird" out there!
or is my amnesia kickin' in again???
hehehehehehehe:D

DjangoRob
07-27-2007, 13:27
Does anyone know where Chips is? This is Fish here, I had to get off the trail for possibly the stupidest reason there is (burning leg on campfire, healing up for 3 weeks and then realising the moment had passed) so had to leave mah buddy behind. I know he's hiking with a friend of ours, a big tall guy called Ed (or maybe something else now)

Any updates? I think he must be in NH / Maine by this point.

Peanut
07-28-2007, 05:27
I saw Chips in Hanover, NH at the beginning of the month.

Roland
07-28-2007, 06:19
Another FAUX "Jaybird" out there!
or is my amnesia kickin' in again???
hehehehehehehe:D

As one who turned 50 this week, I can relate. Thanks for the laugh!

DjangoRob
07-28-2007, 10:04
I saw Chips in Hanover, NH at the beginning of the month.

Ah yeah, I heard from him when he was there too

mountain squid
07-29-2007, 19:38
So, Mt Squid, can we expect a report from atop Katahdin in about 6-7 weeks from you? ;)

:-? hmmm, yes, no, well, maybe, I don't know...one state at a time, I guess;)...currently, here at the Hikers Welcome in Glencliff, NH:

Rockman
Magellan
Squirrel
Sugar (SOBO)
Hedge Hog (SOBO)
TNadine (SOBO)
Sketch (SOBO)
Murphy (SOBO)
Whiskers (SOBO)
Ol' Graceful

Oh yeah, Packrat, Phatt Chapp and Ffej are also here.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

emerald
07-29-2007, 20:07
Did huck pass through Glencliff by the white route or did he bypass it while on one of his aguaventures?

Water routes, water routes, so many water routes! The Connecticut may prove too tempting.

Agua-blaze Vermont? He might have to zero and think about that one!;)

Shades of Gray

ms doolittle
07-29-2007, 20:27
Looks like you just missed Green Hornet. He was in North Woodstock on Thursday, 7/26. He said he was going to start to slow down a bit. NH is taking a toll on him. He's getting there, though.

I'll have to watch for him around Tue. or Wed. and see if I can spot him on the Mt Washington Cam.

:-? hmmm, yes, no, well, maybe, I don't know...one state at a time, I guess;)...currently, here at the Hikers Welcome in Glencliff, NH:

Rockman
Magellan
Squirrel
Sugar (SOBO)
Hedge Hog (SOBO)
TNadine (SOBO)
Sketch (SOBO)
Murphy (SOBO)
Whiskers (SOBO)
Ol' Graceful

See you on the trail,
mt squid

wilconow
07-29-2007, 20:29

Rockman
Magellan
Squirrel
Sugar (SOBO)
Hedge Hog (SOBO)
TNadine (SOBO)
Sketch (SOBO)
Murphy (SOBO)
Whiskers (SOBO)
Ol' Graceful

See you on the trail,
mt squid

hmm..i wonder if that is the same squirrel i saw the day before memorial day right out of spivey's gap. she was doing 25-30 mi a day.

mountain squid
07-30-2007, 20:40
SoG - I must have missed Huck. So, I am not sure how he might have got here, it might have been a helicopter:D...

ms doolittle - Good luck spotting Green Hornet. There is about 2 feet:eek: of snow on Washington...

wilconow - different squirrel.

In for the night at the Hikers Welcome:

Lady Green
Sir Wounded Knee
Gator Gump
Jerry
Stretch
Hangman
Freakboy
Mooseburger
Chuck
Betsy
Matt and U-dog
Baltimore Jack
Hippie
Fox
Lily
Castaway

See you on the trail,
mt squid

PS. Just kidding about the snow:p:rolleyes:...

ms doolittle
07-31-2007, 06:53
You goof!

I know. ;) They have webcams for that sorta thing, ya know... :p

He made it to Mt Washington earlier than expected. Got a call yesterday morning from him from atop the big mountain.

Dork called and says "I just got tired of walking. I'm at a rest stop in WV". My stomach turned. I wouldn't have fallen for it had he not sounded so worn out the last time I talked to him. lol

But, he's fine. Should be in Gorham in another day or two.

fluttering_forest
08-12-2007, 17:36
Saw Gorilla in Bartlett. What an awesome guy!

minnesotasmith
08-12-2007, 19:23
How many thruhikers this year are repeats from 2006?

mountain squid
08-13-2007, 14:26
How many thruhikers this year are repeats from 2006?

Not sure what you are asking, but I've seen several this year that I had seen last yr...

Anyway, from Gorham, NH, recent conquerors and survivors of the Whites:

Yorkie
Yard Sale
Habitual Hiker
Umbrella Lady
Wolf
Colbert
Alright - 1/3 of the Hey, Man crew
Chopsticks - 1/3 of the Hey, Man crew
Golden Boy
Flick
Sir Wounded Knee
Lady Green
Buttercup
Crazy Bear
Low Branch
Bugbite

Almost conquered and survived the Whites (came to town from Pinkham Notch):

Shadow
Blue Skies
CNN - now they are 2000 milers - CONGRATS!!!!!! (and still hiking North)
Blue Yonder
EM

Have yet to conquer and survive the Whites (hiking in that other direction):

The Kids
Barbarossa
Uly
For the most part the weather has been good:sun...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

ms doolittle
08-13-2007, 15:53
Another fine update. :)

So, I'll see you in Millinocket, ME next week, Mt Squid?? ;)

mountain squid
08-19-2007, 08:10
So, I'll see you in Millinocket, ME next week, Mt Squid?? ;)
Although, it would have been great to see you and the Green Hornet again, I've turned around and started heading South. Maybe I'll see you both at Trail Days next year:-? ...

Some more survivors of the Whites:
Anonymous
Caps
Deathmarch
Rhododendron (I'm sure GG was near, but I didn't see him)
Stuntman
Rio
Paloma
Ghetto
Crazy Bear
Hemlock
Blue Yonder
Comet (the other third of the Hey Man crew)
Lone Wolf
Robo
CNN
Uno
Dewey
Em
Terrapin Flyer
Granite
The Dude (yeah, there are alot of Dudes this yr)
Caveman of Ohio
Cocoa
Monkey
Gorilla (not sure if the same that fluttering_forest saw, but anyway :welcome to WB f_f)
Stealth
Alpine Strider
Willie Goat
Trail Dancer
RadaR (backward R)
K'ache
Pi
Leader of the Pack
Bloody Nose
Stand by Me
Partner
Bush Whacker
Castanets
Wingheart
Aussie
Gimpy
Frito
Too Many Birthdays (Tom B)
Little Red
Wolf
Dances with Sloths

SOBOs heading into the Whites:
Coffee (WB username hammock engineer)
Woodward
Tartar Sauce
Recondo
Kirk
Roy
Runway
Streak

Yesterday, at Franconia Notch in Lincoln, NH at Chet's Place:
Grits
Betsy (SOBO)
Roadster (SOBO and 04 Alumni)

This morning it was 44F at Glencliff, NH. BRRRRR, it is gonna be cold in the Whites - there may be snow on Washington soon http://www.mountwashington.org/. About to brave the Whites from Glencliff:
Usual Suspect
Backyard Boogie (WB username backyardboogie)
Marco Solo
TN Jed
PEZ

See you on the trail,
mt squid