PDA

View Full Version : I am SOBO MOFO

Brother in Arms
03-16-2007, 18:36
I finally decided to hit the trail, come hell or highwater.

Id like to leave no later than June first. I was thinking it was going to be lonely but from the sound of things there will be several south bounders heading out around that time.

I havent even looked into logistics yet. So im not sure what I am doing.

Who will be at Katahdin on or around June 1st???

Brother in Arms

Brother in Arms
05-20-2007, 19:30
tic toc tic toc

how is everyone doing? I still need to make reservations because I am an idiot...but I will be there regardless.

By the way anyone got any ideas of the best camping areas?

Brother in Arms

Marta
05-20-2007, 19:39
tic toc tic toc

By the way anyone got any ideas of the best camping areas?

Brother in Arms

The Trail passes through Katahdin Stream Campground. There are some lean-tos there, as well as campsites. It means you'll walk both up and down the Hunt Trail.

Good luck! SOBO Pride!

Marta/Five-Leaf

huck
05-20-2007, 20:47
Hello ,I will be at the katadhin streams campground on june 6th- 8th.Then I head south.Happy trail God bless.

P.S.Bring cold weather gear

Penne
05-20-2007, 23:10
I've heard BSP isn't planning on opening on the 1st of June this year due to cold weather. Anyone know anything about that?

TJ aka Teej
05-21-2007, 07:27
I've heard BSP isn't planning on opening on the 1st of June this year due to cold weather. Anyone know anything about that?

The Park opened for overnight camping on May 15th.

hikerchris
05-21-2007, 15:04
I just talked with Baxter State Park. They said they just received several feet of snow on Katahdin and that they will be evaluating it in a few days to see if it can be opened.

The park itself is open, the Katahdin trails are not. At this point they are uncertain when Katahdin itself will be open for hiking by June 1.

They said to call back Friday for an update.

Brother in Arms
05-21-2007, 18:03
I called today to make last minute reservations (helps that I am a maine resident wink wink)

and they said I would be able to make reservations for the 2nd but I have to call back tommorow to actually book the reservation.

still not sure which campsite I want to be at.

Where is everyone else staying at?

Thanks
Brother in Arms

TomScanlan
05-22-2007, 13:00
I'll be getting into the park at katahdin stream campground on June 1. Heading up the mountian on June 2 and returning to the same place for sleep, then taking off south on the 3rd.

Feel free to get in touch if you need some excitement venting time. 8 more days for me!

Marta
05-22-2007, 13:02
Reading this thread is giving me Katahdin fever. I should stop for my own good.

Best wishes to all of you new SOBOs.

SOBO Pride!

Marta/Five-Leaf

TJ aka Teej
05-22-2007, 15:03
Reading this thread is giving me Katahdin fever. I should stop for my own good.

Don't click on this link, Marta!

http://www.katahdincam.com/ :sun

TJ aka Teej
05-22-2007, 15:06
Brother: the ten day rule is for everybody, even people from away!
Tom: Good plan to stay the night before and after at KSC!

TomScanlan
05-22-2007, 15:26
Tom: Good plan to stay the night before and after at KSC!

I think I got that one from Marta. Also you guys helpd me out by pointing me to the Appalachian Trail Lodge. I'll be staying there on may 31 and getting a ride from them.

You guys sure are full of it. Knowledge that is.

Johnny Swank
05-22-2007, 19:47
Another one joins the Dark Side. Keep your SOBO pride strong son!

Best of luck,

-JS, MEGA 2000

Brother in Arms
05-22-2007, 21:52
Finally made my reservations today...for the 2nd though they don't know if hunt trail will be open or not...they said there is alot of snow up there right now, but I will be weather the trail is open or not...so anyone in the area please drop in and say hello.

guess I will be at katahdin stream on the other side at a leanto campsite...not exactly sure where though LOL. ohwell like everything I wing it.

See ya all there June 2nd!

Brother in Arms

Marta
05-22-2007, 22:19
Don't click on this link, Marta!

http://www.katahdincam.com/ :sun

Thank goodness it was 10 p.m. and pitch black when I clicked on it. I am still safe.

Johnny Swank
05-23-2007, 10:32
http://www.katahdincam.com/katahdin.jpg

I.need.a.benefactor.......now.

onicoe
05-23-2007, 12:40
Finally made my reservations today...for the 2nd though they don't know if hunt trail will be open or not...they said there is alot of snow up there right now, but I will be weather the trail is open or not...so anyone in the area please drop in and say hello.

guess I will be at katahdin stream on the other side at a leanto campsite...not exactly sure where though LOL. ohwell like everything I wing it.

See ya all there June 2nd!

Brother in Arms

Did you make your reservations over the phone? I'm in a slight panic because i've realized that with all the hoo-ha surrounding graduation, i've completely pushed back getting myself a campsite reservation. I was aiming for june 1st, but honestly any time within the first week or two of june would be nice.

should i just call and ask what's open and such?

hammock engineer
05-23-2007, 12:47
Seeing all of the snow and reading about it the closed to hiking has me glad I pushed my start date back. Eying the 3rd weekend in June now.

mountain squid
05-23-2007, 13:43
Also you guys helpd me out by pointing me to the Appalachian Trail Lodge. I'll be staying there on may 31 and getting a ride from them.

That was me:D...Also, I'm going to add you to the Class of 2007 list, as well as huck (everyone is already on it, I think).

onicoe, If you can't get a reservation, maybe you can share a site with someone else who already has one. Send some PM's to those leaving when you are...

Good Luck Everyone and Have Fun.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

TJ aka Teej
05-23-2007, 17:07
onicoe, If you can't get a reservation, maybe you can share a site with someone else who already has one. Send some PM's to those leaving when you are...

Good suggestion! Baxter charges for a two person mininum - so MEGAs are already paying for two spots even if it's just them in the lean-to. It's cheaper to share!
(Northbounders are charged for just one person to stay at the Birches)

ryan207
05-30-2007, 13:45
All I know is I am leaving for katahdin on friday and I will sit and wait until I can hike.

Penne
05-30-2007, 18:19
I do hope the trail opens for the 1st. If it doesn't, I'm doing a flip flop of sorts. I'll be starting in New Hampshire and walking south for six days, and my parents will pick me up and drive me to Maine to climb Katahdin on the second weekend of June and then continue south. Once I get back to where I started in NH I'll call my folks and they will get me to where I left off. But I want the trail to open.

warraghiyagey
05-31-2007, 05:17
Baxter State Park by 6PM tonight.:) :) :) :)

Warraghiyagey
SOBO7

Marta
05-31-2007, 05:33
Awesome! Best wishes!

Marta/Five-Leaf

warraghiyagey
05-31-2007, 06:40
Awesome! Best wishes!

Marta/Five-Leaf

Hey friend. Be thinking about why I can be such a stinker sometimes :rolleyes: while I'm on the trail. Have a great summer.:)

Marta
05-31-2007, 07:02
Hey friend. Be thinking about why I can be such a stinker sometimes :rolleyes: while I'm on the trail.

Maybe because the showers will be few and far between?;)

I'm setting off for the north country myself tomorrow night. We (my husband and I) are driving to NH to finish my last missing section, the 11.8 miles over Mt. Washington. If we get that done in a timely fashion, we're going to drive up to Katahdin, hoping to hike there on Wednesday. But then I'll be driving on back home instead of taking the scenic route.

SOBO Pride!

Marta/Five-Leaf

Brother in Arms
06-02-2007, 02:19
My start date got pushed back to the 3rd!

not sure if the trail is open on Katahdin or not (forgot to ask) but I pushed my reservations back to the night of the 3rd and I am staying in a leanto at katahdin stream. If the trail is closed I may wait but more likely I will head south and then do Katahdin when I return to Maine at the end of the thru hike.

So I hope I see you all there....not sure when I am getting to Baxter tommorow.

Take it easy everyone

Brother in Arms

emerald
06-02-2007, 09:53
My start date got pushed back to the 3rd!

Brother in Arms

Best wishes! Keep us updated. Hope to see you in Pennsylvania.:)

emerald
06-02-2007, 15:23
I'm not seeing hardly any white high on Katahdin from The Green Diamond Katahdin Cam (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=365440&postcount=17). I wouldn't want to start yet, but I understand why some can't wait!