PDA

View Full Version : aquablazing?

whitefoot_hp
03-17-2007, 11:41
i heard you can conoe some rivers near the shenandoa valley for a week as an alternative to the AT. anybody ever did this? are there outfitters who set you up w/ canoe?

Lone Wolf
03-17-2007, 11:45
i heard you can conoe some rivers near the shenandoa valley for a week as an alternative to the AT. anybody ever did this? are there outfitters who set you up w/ canoe?

no and yes.

neighbor dave
03-17-2007, 11:46
:-? no such thing. either yer hikin' or yer canoein':-?

Footslogger
03-17-2007, 11:50
Don't know how you go about setting it up ....but a handful of hikers did the "aquablaze" thing in 2003. Spoke with some of them afterwards back on the trail and they said it was fun. If your goal is to WALK from Georgia to Maine it probably isn't a consideration.

'Slogger

Lone Wolf
03-17-2007, 11:50
sometimes, hiking just plain sucks. especially when it's hot. canoeing for 100 miles with a cooler full of beer would be most excellent and smart

neighbor dave
03-17-2007, 11:52
sometimes, hiking just plain sucks. especially when it's hot. canoeing for 100 miles with a cooler full of beer would be most excellent and smart
:-? if ya caint stand the heat, get outta the kitchen!!!:sun ;)

Lone Wolf
03-17-2007, 11:53
get outta the kitchen!!!:sun ;)...

...and into a canoe

neighbor dave
03-17-2007, 11:55
...and into a canoe

:-? uh huh!!
i can row a boat, canoe???:D

NICKTHEGREEK
03-17-2007, 12:24
Canoe Outfitters start getting pretty thick around Front Royal where many set you up for a 25 mile or so overnight paddle trip. They are all over the internet. You could possibly arrange a rental from Front Royal to Harpers Ferry travelling North (sorta) along with the current. This would have to be arranged pretty well in advance as I've not heard of anyone who has done it as a rental deal. I assume a pretty hefty deposit would be required as well as a pick up fee for the canoe at Harpers Ferry.
Your progress North depends largely on recent rainfall -there's been times when canoeing the south fork of the river was more like rock climbing, and others with some very entertaining white water.

Moxie00
03-17-2007, 12:24
In 2000 Blister Sister and Raz-ma-taz aqua blazed, then hitched back and hiked the section they skipped. Just about everyone else just skipped the 100 or so miles they could aquablaze.

Lone Wolf
03-17-2007, 12:36
In 2000 Blister Sister and Raz-ma-taz aqua blazed, then hitched back and hiked the section they skipped. Just about everyone else just skipped the 100 or so miles they could aquablaze.

anal purist sheeple:cool:

Bravo
03-17-2007, 21:14
anal purist sheeple:cool:

LW, where's the best place to aqua-blaze?

G-WALK
03-17-2007, 21:47
Some folks did all that last year. The outfitter in front royal hooked'm up. Not sure the name of the outfitter, but thy were on the main street, down town area.

ShowMe
03-18-2007, 02:44
Sounds like fun to me. As for making up the 100 miles...maybe next year. It won't weigh on my consience 1 bit. If they don'y want to take my pic in Harper's Ferry because of it,...oh well.

superman
03-18-2007, 08:26
Aqua blazing is only one of many diversions along the AT. Different hikers left the trail for many different reasons. Some of the common ones that I am aware of include tourist sight seeing, graduations, problems at home, visit friends, concerts, and athletic events. Some people rejoined the AT where they got off and some didn’t. When I was young in New Hampshire in the 50s and 60s the attitude was what a person does on his or her own property is his or her own business. Then there was a stream of flat landers that moved in. Now there is the thinking that you can do what you want on your property if we approve it first. I say hike your own hike …or you can do as my ex told me…”take a hike.”

mweinstone
03-18-2007, 09:13
jessica and jason from florida did it last year.

rafe
03-18-2007, 09:18
I understand there are aquablazing opportunities at DWG... but not sure how or where one would reconnect with the AT. I'll bet Geek would know. Has he started his hike yet?

Tipper
03-18-2007, 09:32
A few folks did it in 2006. They left the AT at Front Royal and returned at Harpers Ferry. Evryone can get their picture taken at the ATC. You don't have to say your a 'purist' thru-hiker. Hike your own hike. Have fun canoeing, yellow-blazing, or doing whatever you want this summer or next along the length of the trail. But, out of respect for those who hike the entire trail and claim the title of '200 Miler', don't claim it if YOU didn't do it! I hope that you'll try to get back to finish the parts of the AT you missed - the Rollercoaster, Ben's Den Hostel, and the walk by the Jefferson Rock into Harpers.

Tipper
03-18-2007, 09:33
A few folks did it in 2006. They left the AT at Front Royal and returned at Harpers Ferry. Evryone can get their picture taken at the ATC. You don't have to say your a 'purist' thru-hiker. Hike your own hike. Have fun canoeing, yellow-blazing, or doing whatever you want this summer or next along the length of the trail. But, out of respect for those who hike the entire trail and claim the title of '200 Miler', don't claim it if YOU didn't do it! I hope that you'll try to get back to finish the parts of the AT you missed - the Rollercoaster, Ben's Den Hostel, and the walk by the Jefferson Rock into Harpers.

OOps..."2000 miler"! :banana

Chache
03-18-2007, 11:50
When we got to maine last year we went rafting at this place. Was a great way to do something different than just hiking.
http://www.windfallrafting.com/

neighbor dave
03-18-2007, 12:51
When I was young in New Hampshire in the 50s and 60s the attitude was what a person does on his or her own property is his or her own business. Then there was a stream of flat landers that moved in. Now there is the thinking that you can do what you want on your property if we approve it first.

:-? now thankfully there's less incest.:sun

if one was to raft the mississippi would it count as hiking the A.T.??:confused:
if i hike from georgia to maine in the breakdown lane of I-95 am i on the trail??
if i set out to hike the A.T. but wind up sailing from savannah to bar harbor have i hiked the trail??
there's no such thing as aquablazin'.
yer either hikin' the A.T. or yer not,it's pretty simple

Bravo
03-18-2007, 13:27
When we got to maine last year we went rafting at this place. Was a great way to do something different than just hiking.
http://www.windfallrafting.com/

How far off the trail is this place?

superman
03-18-2007, 13:30
It's time you take another happy pill Davy.

whitefoot_hp
03-18-2007, 13:41
For anyone hiking SOBO and looking for a thrill at towards the end of their trip, come to section four of the chattooga river in rabun county GA (northeastern corner of GA) i was a raft guide there last year. make sure you get the low down on the water level, though. much more enjoyable during a decent rainfall season.

neighbor dave
03-18-2007, 13:45
It's time you take another happy pill Davy.

ha ha ha you funny!!

When I was young in New Hampshire in the 50s and 60s the attitude was what a person does on his or her own property is his or her own business. Then there was a stream of flat landers that moved in. Now there is the thinking that you can do what you want on your property if we approve it first

:-? thankfully now there's less dogma too!:sun

ShowMe
03-18-2007, 15:06
A few folks did it in 2006. They left the AT at Front Royal and returned at Harpers Ferry. Evryone can get their picture taken at the ATC. You don't have to say your a 'purist' thru-hiker. Hike your own hike. Have fun canoeing, yellow-blazing, or doing whatever you want this summer or next along the length of the trail. But, out of respect for those who hike the entire trail and claim the title of '2000 Miler', don't claim it if YOU didn't do it! I hope that you'll try to get back to finish the parts of the AT you missed - the Rollercoaster, Ben's Den Hostel, and the walk by the Jefferson Rock into Harpers.

I gotcha. People can call me whatever they want. I'm o.k with section hiker (nothing wrong with that), or 1900ish miler. Who knows I may not have the budget for a canoe and have to walk it.:eek: Whatever happens I would eventually like to see ALL of the AT so the "2000 miler" will come sooner or later. I just think a canoe ride may sound like fun and am glad someone brought it up.

BTW - Thanks again to all you WBers for the enormous amout of info and real world advice you provide. Every AT book out there doesn't add up to what I've found here.

West Virginia thru hiker-class of 2006 :)

Geoff

RockStar
03-18-2007, 15:55
So let me think out loud here...I am not great at math so correct me if I am wrong...

I hiked from Springer to Bly Gap. The book says thats around 74ish miles. The Georgia A.T. Club says it is 80 miles. You even get a patch that says "80 miler" HOWEVER lets just say it is 74 miles...ok so I also went into Harpers Ferry and got to Gathland State park about 10 miles. So thats 84 miles.

Now lets say I take a conoe for 84 miles I should have credit for (seeing as how everyones panties are in a wad over mileage NOT EARNED)and then let whoever rented the conoe with me take the conoe. Ill have to hike 16 miles. Oh wait...but, you mean my 84 miles doesn't count for that section...whoever "you" are? I guess you are with "them" and we all know what "they say" matters most. :-? Big brother is that you? Anyway...so now I am in a pickle because I wouldn't want to offend anyones delicate trail nature by jipping myself out of their 100 miles they need me to hike in order to give me my "Thru_Hiker" "2000" miler status. ...Wait a minute...2000 miler...why doesnt it say 2174 miler" :-? Now I am REALLY confused. You mean I only have to hike 2000 miles at once...then I guess the conoe ride isnt a big deal after all but, exactly which 2000 of the 2174 do I have to hike? Blazes to be exact...can anyone from the "They say" group tell me, it would be a big help!

Actually when I think about it...none of "their" opinions matter...that is those that won't be hiking the trail in MY BOOTS and I only bought a left and right boot...as I have both. So i guess noone elses opinions matters...yet..."they" should know that. Hrmmm still confused. Lets see if i can unconfuse myself...

When I am hiking the only thing that matters is being there, wherever I am being it a Blue blaze, white blaze, or with other hikers in general talking about being there...The only thing that maters is BEING there and GOD. I am not a religious fanatic but, when I hike I have NO other choice except to basque in the AWE daily of what MY god has created....for ME...and you. Yet some of us choose to define what I should see for 2000 miles. :rolleyes:

So i think to myself...if it is about MY hike and MY GOD...well then hiking is a religion when you are practicing it. Wasn't this country founded(correct me if I am wrong) by people who wanted religious freedom? And would any hiker actually try to define how I WORSHIP my GOD and b/t what BLAZES I will find him? if I was doing it for SPORT sure Id want to hike past all White blazes otherwise I might be VIOLATING RULES.

Sure Jesus will get us to heaven but, Im not forgetting the footprints posters where he carries us when we can't walk anymore... And I am sure if JESUS was gonna be in that 100 miles im in a conoe for...well...he can walk on water so whats the problem? What exactly am I missing?

So I guess I am not so confused afterall...
A. As long as God doesn't sink all the conoes before I get there...its an option.
B.The likelihood of Jesus or GOD being on the trail b/t that 100 miles and not with me on the conoe are NONE and those are the only two people I would regret MISSING.
C. I am unsure if I would conoe 100 miles but, if I did I'm glad I'll have God with me instead of some judgmental a-hole nagging baout missed miles.;)

I enjoy watching the opinions flare up in the political forum and on most issues but, argueing over a conoe ride you aren't FORCED to take is ridiculous. Take that energy and go pick up te T.P. along the side of the trail then come back and complain about that.

Just my long winded .02

Jester2000
03-18-2007, 16:56
I did the aquablaze out of Waynesboro in 2000 (Raz & Blister had been ahead of me & were back in town and heading north on the AT). 22 other hikers came along and we had a blast. There were Billvillains, Thru-Hiks, Crippled Bloods, and Loud Crowd folks on the trip.

It was a 5-6 day trip and we ended up in Harper's Ferry. After I finished in Maine I went back and Southbounded from Harper's, not because I was a purist or anything, but because there was trail that I had missed seeing, and I wanted to see it. Very quiet and peaceful that time of year. It was a nice coda to my hike.

Mags
03-18-2007, 21:47
yer either hikin' the A.T. or yer not,it's pretty simple

Don't ever hike the CDT..you'll go crazy. :)
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=36&g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=14475

Come out West... the view of purity greatly diminishes.

(Lewis and Clark aqua blazed..those bastards! :D)

neighbor dave
03-19-2007, 04:50
Don't ever hike the CDT..you'll go crazy. :)
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=36&g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=14475

Come out West... the view of purity greatly diminishes.

(Lewis and Clark aqua blazed..those bastards! :D)

:-? i'm a comin'!! when in roam, do as the roamers do!!!:sun

kyhipo
03-19-2007, 06:54
had already hiked the section once on the trail so when we aquablazed it was nice!all but the rain:cool: ky

Gray Blazer
03-19-2007, 07:46
At highway 211 in SNP turn left and walk/hitch into Luray. They have lots of canoe rentals around there. I'll check with my boys and let you know some names later. You can canoe down to Front Royal, stay in a hotel and be back on the AT the next morning. I imagine you can canoe to Harper's Ferry.
You probably can get off the AT at Swift Run Gap and head on down to the Shenandoah. There's probably a few places. I'll get back to you when I find out. Don't forget, see Luray Caverns.

Brock
03-19-2007, 10:00
I tried to setup an aquablaze last year, but it failed :(
I found that the most southern town to start from is Waynesboro and the northern most town is Front Royal (I think there is Luray in between that also has an outfitter). You will flow NoBo to just south of Harpers Ferry. There are laws governing where you can get in and out, so a VA canoe livery cannot cross state lines and pick you out in WVA, so you have to get out short of the border and walk the last few miles into Harpers Ferry.
The deal I found was somewhere around $120 for a canoe (split two ways) and you need a minimum of 6 people or 3 canoes. You will need to bring all food and WATER for the whole trip. There is no where to get out and resupply and the water is crappy to drink. The place I wanted to rent from was going to have maps for us and camping locations, mostly on small islands where it is public land since most of the shores are private property.

Now, all I just said is subject to change. Like I said, I wanted to aquablaze, but it failed. We needed to get into Harpers before July 4th so some people could be in DC for the holiday. We got to Waynesboro only to be told that the river was TOO LOW to canoe on and we would be portaging too much. So, we walked to Front Royal, hoping the river would rise. Well, it rose too much and they were at flood stage and not allowing anyone to go on the river. So, after all the hype I spread to the 8 of us that were going, we couldn't go... it was a big letdown.

Contact the ATC in Harpers Ferry for more information.

eventidecu
03-19-2007, 11:00
:welcome I've got a canoe that I might loan if someone wants to use it in Western NC up to VA. Hell if your solo I might go with you. Send me an e mail. It's great to just float, fish and drink some cold ones for a few days "makin miles" :sun seeing the woods from a different prospective. Ahhh!!

Gray Blazer
03-19-2007, 16:06
Down River Canoe Company in Front Royal. They'll take the canoes to Fort Stover in Luray.

Heater
03-19-2007, 16:15
the Rollercoaster, Ben's Den Hostel, and the walk by the Jefferson Rock into Harpers.

I wouldn't want to miss that part of the trail. Well... maybe not the rollercoaster. :D