PDA

View Full Version : Current conditions in Smokies

Cookerhiker
03-17-2007, 22:27
I've been out in the great dry Southwest for over 2 weeks now in Big Bend followed by the Sonoran Desert, far from e-mail and cell phone but am now speeding my way to Tennessee for a March 21 reservation atop Mt. LeConte. Anyone know what conditions are like now i.e. snow, ice, etc.? We're planning to hike up the Rainbow Falls Trail and back the Bullock Trail. Much thanks.

PS - Big Bend is awesome.

Baum Trigger
03-18-2007, 00:46
I've been out in the great dry Southwest for over 2 weeks now in Big Bend followed by the Sonoran Desert, far from e-mail and cell phone but am now speeding my way to Tennessee for a March 21 reservation atop Mt. LeConte. Anyone know what conditions are like now i.e. snow, ice, etc.? We're planning to hike up the Rainbow Falls Trail and back the Bullock Trail. Much thanks.

PS - Big Bend is awesome.

Was just there on the 15th on a day hike. A few spots of ice, but nothing you cannot easily get past. Of course I went up from Newfound Gap and the Boulevard Trail. Ran into other day hikers that came up Rainbow falls and they mentioned a little ice but nothing that couldnt be manuevered easily. Bullhead trail and Rainbow falls trail is a nice loop to Leconte. Have a great time!

P.S. the rain the Smokies received on the 15th and 16th shouldnt have contributed to any significant increase of ice on the trails. Make sure to check out Myrtle Point and the Cliff Tops!

Cookerhiker
03-18-2007, 07:22
Was just there on the 15th on a day hike. A few spots of ice, but nothing you cannot easily get past. Of course I went up from Newfound Gap and the Boulevard Trail. Ran into other day hikers that came up Rainbow falls and they mentioned a little ice but nothing that couldnt be manuevered easily. Bullhead trail and Rainbow falls trail is a nice loop to Leconte. Have a great time!

P.S. the rain the Smokies received on the 15th and 16th shouldnt have contributed to any significant increase of ice on the trails. Make sure to check out Myrtle Point and the Cliff Tops!

Good news. Thanks for the reply.

humunuku
03-18-2007, 08:27
I was there yesterday and will be there today. Above, oh, 3000', leaves on the trees are frozen, trails were perfect (I didn't go to Leconte though). Had to wear a rain coat because in the sunny areas, the leaves were thawing out and gettin me pretty wet, but this should be an issue if you staying on official (maintained) trails

eventidecu
03-18-2007, 09:52
Was in Boone area yesterday and it was "spittin" snow most of the day over 3000 ft. Kind of weird with the sun shinning (mostly) and snow coming seemingly from no where. I imagine it was doing the same over in the Smokey's. I believe it's going to be very nice this week in western NC but bring your winter gear because it always subject to being cold up there. And a safe bet this time of year. It has been and is pretty chilly today.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-18-2007, 10:31
We are having a cold snap right now, but it is supposed to warm up starting today. The forecast in the valley is high of 67F low of 46F with clouds in the 21st. Adjusting for LeConte, high of about 45 to 50F and low of 25 to 30F. There's pretty much always some wind up there and you know those mountains are famous for making their own weather.

ed bell
03-18-2007, 13:49
We are having a cold snap right now, but it is supposed to warm up starting today. The forecast in the valley is high of 67F low of 46F with clouds in the 21st. Adjusting for LeConte, high of about 45 to 50F and low of 25 to 30F. There's pretty much always some wind up there and you know those mountains are famous for making their own weather.Yesterday was a bit chilly:http://www.srh.noaa.gov/productview.php?pil=MRXRTPMRX High 18 Low 8? :cool::D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-18-2007, 15:02
Our high and low in the valley for yesterday were 37F and 26F so 18F and 8F don't surprise me.

Cookerhiker
03-18-2007, 23:50
Thanks to everyone for the helpful info. The temps sound managable but then again, I've been in 80 degree dry heat for the last 10 days so I have to re-adapt. I did have 2 25 degree nights in Big Bend and a 24 degree night camping in New Mexico.

sliderule
03-20-2007, 13:24
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/productview.php?pil=MRXRTPMRX&versions=8